inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: d'Oh!!! Contest suggestion

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/26/05 at 11:47 pm

Scenario:  You're trying to decide which of your two best parodies to enter for SOTM

You enter parody #1

It scores 0 votes

d'Oh!!! 
(because in retrospect you're absolutely certain parody #2 would have bolted home)

so why not a comp where everyone can exorcise the personal horror of their worst  "parody #2 d'Oh!!!"

Subject: Re: d'Oh!!! Contest suggestion

Written By: PRobinson on 01/27/05 at 12:29 am

Scenario:  You're trying to decide which of your two best parodies to enter for SOTM

You enter parody #1

It scores 0 votes

d'Oh!!! 
(because in retrospect you're absolutely certain parody #2 would have bolted home)

so why not a comp where everyone can exorcise the personal horror of their worst  "parody #2 d'Oh!!!"

OH..."the one that got away" contest...hmmm...sounds kinda interesting...how about if you skipped entering in a month where you had what you think was a really good one (providing you weren't sitting out a non-voting suspension, hmmm...hope my possible choice doesn't fall in that category...oh, well...I still think that would be a good rule to include here, even if it stings me...)?

pr

Subject: Re: The Only Thread That Matters

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/27/05 at 1:03 am

yeah that would be a definte d'OH!!  Paul, but I can't imagine it happening....

and if it did happen, it would be out of carelessness (ie.your fault) 
as opposed to out of frustration at being forced to choose (not your fault)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/27/05 at 10:08 am

Great idea Stu...this is the story of my life and the ONLY reason I've not scooped gold everytime I've entered  ;).....but, having entered your sure-fire winner in this comp, wouldn't the embarrassment of scoring Nul Point AGAIN just be too much to take??

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/27/05 at 2:29 pm

I went with this strategy in the Wild Card contest by entering Thanksgiving Nightmare while keeping Pizza Sauce for SOTM, and it still didn't win me any Medals (but at least a real vote). Maybe I should have done vice versa. :(

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/27/05 at 2:31 pm

How about a contest where we post our parodies that have had the MOST 1's votes? :D

Subject: d'Oh!!! Contest suggestion

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/27/05 at 3:46 pm

Great idea Stu...this is the story of my life and the ONLY reason I've not scooped gold everytime I've entered  ;).....but, having entered your sure-fire winner in this comp, wouldn't the embarrassment of scoring Nul Point AGAIN just be too much to take??

LOL, Kristof, and the truth is that that's exactly what would happen, but at least your mind would be at rest - so it really should be called a a "Cathartic Comp" I guess.. :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/27/05 at 3:54 pm

... a "Cathartic Comp" ...

Hey Stu - you could host a "Catholic Comp" and have people enter parodies of "The Vatican Rag" by Tom Lehrer.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/27/05 at 5:10 pm

Hey Stu - you could host a "Catholic Comp" and have people enter parodies of "The Vatican Rag" by Tom Lehrer.

LOL, yes, or a Cathetic Comp, and have people enter parodies that take the tick out of people  ;)

modified 30 seconds later:

for the above gag to earn the guffaws it deserves, please replace the word "tick" with a common euphemism for "urine"

(sigh  :-\\)

Written By: K1chyd on 01/29/05 at 2:22 am

You enter parody #1

It scores 0 votes

d'Oh!!! 

You don´t wanna get into this kind of pattern of behaviour here Stu, because one day that might lead you to say to your wife "Honey, I gotta go revisit some of my exes just to see if I could have made a better choice", and then we´ll all miss you (unless you survive to start writing parodies about John Wayne Bobbit, then we´ll know that you´re the one doing the missing). :o

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/05 at 7:13 am

You don´t wanna get into this kind of pattern of behaviour here Stu, because one day that might lead you to say to your wife "Honey, I gotta go revisit some of my exes just to see if I could have made a better choice", and then we´ll all miss you (unless you survive to start writing parodies about John Wayne Bobbit, then we´ll know that you´re the one doing the missing). :o

LOL K1! - and you're right - there IS always that one person in everyone's past isn't there? 

No - I agree with Kristof - the other one, parody #2, wouldn't have been any better, or scored any votes, but I'm just looking for a theme, I guess - and I'm sure it's a feeling everyone here has related to at some time  :D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/05 at 7:17 am

I went with this strategy in the Wild Card contest by entering Thanksgiving Nightmare while keeping Pizza Sauce for SOTM, and it still didn't win me any Medals (but at least a real vote). Maybe I should have done vice versa. :(

that's my drift, Agri - it's not frustrating having MADE the mistake - it's frustrating not knowing if you've made the mistake

and (apart from the fact it's riggable) the "most 1s" comp - or something like it - is a great idea   :)

Check for new replies or respond here...