inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/01/05 at 12:20 pm

The rules are a little different this time. 

~~Anyone who participated in a SOTM contest for 2004 may vote.  But if you don't want to or don't have time, it's definitely okay.
~~Vote by choosing your five favorites in order.  Five points to your favorite, four points to your second favorite and so on.
~~You are NOT required to leave a comment on every parody. 
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own parody.
~~Once you vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Points do NOT count toward the Parody Author of the Year Contest.
~~Voting closes on March 15.

1. American Pride by Johnny D

2. A Baby Boomer's Rap by Mari Aranoff Duncan

3. The Ballad Of Janet Jackson (Theme from the 2004 Super Bowl) by Robert J. Pagliaro

4. A Bear Named Pooh by Claude Prez

5. A Boob At The Half by Paul Robinson

6. Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com

7. Can't Do Plumbin', Sink's A Fountain by Kristof Robertson

8. Can't Find My Penis by Spaff.com

9. Cross Eyed Girl by Jeff Reuben

10. Devout Me by Luke Brattoni

11. Eat The Rest by EmiLoca

12. Elmer's New Gwoove (Wady-Hunting Time) by 2nz

13. Esther Madge Veronica Louise Ciccone Ritchie by Spaff.com

14. Filler by Rick Duncan

15. Grandma Makes Her Living As a Stripper by MooRocca

16. Grope of Schwarzeneggar by Johnny D

17. Hello Philip, Nice Armada by John Jenkins

18. I Feel Happy (and Sneezy and...) by Spaff.com

19. I'm a D-i-c-k by Spaff.com

20. I'm Goin' to Donate, I Am by Rick Duncan

21. I Read It In the Tabloids by Claude Prez 

22. It's a Folding Chair by Merry and Pippin 

23. Just A Severed Head (Ain't Got No Body) by Claude Prez

24. The Mailman Can by Claude Prez

25. Media Celebrity by Rick Duncan

26. Men Speak by EmiLoca

27. Mr. Miracle Guy by Ethan Mawyer

28. 99 Rubber Boobs by Stuart McArthur

29. On the Joys of Burglary by neminem

30. Over the Hill  by Claude Prez

31. Read My Lips by Phil Alexander

32. The Reasons Why Women Need Men by 2nz

33. Red State Woman by Spaff.com

34. See Your Chest by Phil Alexander

35. Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com

36. That's Annoying by Spaff.com

37. Uranus! by Spaff.com

38. The Weapon Of Bold Knight Sir Farqharlot by Phil Alexander

39. You Put de Milk in de Coco(a) Puffs by Claude Prez

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread--Please vote if eligible

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/02/05 at 5:05 pm

Hm.

Reviewing 40 songs is asking a LOT for some people. I would have expected to choose the Gold Medals of the past year, thereby choosing the top 5 out of 12 (or so) songs. Be that as it may, as I don't make up the rules, I will abide by them, but I would encourage others who have a feeling or two regarding Claude's rules to speak up.  ???

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread--Please vote if eligible

Written By: philbo on 02/02/05 at 5:40 pm

And there are more than three dozen awesomely good parodies here - I think I can remember just about all of them from first time around.  I'll enjoy revisiting them when I've got an hour or two to spare (is the competition going to stay open till Christmas?)

Written By: EmiLoca on 02/02/05 at 8:16 pm

I just finished reading the first 5 and almost acquired skin cancer due to the unnecessary overexposure to the brilliance of such comic greatness.  Is it required that we participate in the voting, or do I have to go buy more sunscreen?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/02/05 at 8:19 pm

Yeah, we've discussed this in another thread.  Don't anyone hurt yourselves just yet; we may do this differently or not at all.  Very very open to ideas at this point (including just anointing "Shakespearean Pie" as the winner and getting on with our lives).

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/02/05 at 9:02 pm

I just did some math. (Five words I always regret.)

Right now we've got 39 songs by 19 authors.

If we eliminate the 13 songs that won third place, a result is that we also have to lose 3 authors. That puts us at choosing from 26 songs by 16 authors.

If we also eliminate the 13 songs that won second place, we lose 6 more authors. That puts us at choosing from 13 songs by 10 authors.

I'm not proposing that we do either of those things. The plan since the beginning of the SOTMs has been to put the top three songs each month into a SOTY contest, and I'm not advocating changing the game in the ninth inning. I think it will be fun to revisit these 39 songs. But given the calls to kill or downsize the SOTY contest, I thought I'd throw out some alternatives.

Of course, we could also do like Claude says - just name a SOTY and screw the voting. If we go that route, I propose Adam Moses's "Smells Like Dead Babies." If I remember right, everyone loved that one.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 02/03/05 at 12:10 am

I just did some math. (Five words I always regret.)

Right now we've got 39 songs by 19 authors.

If we eliminate the 13 songs that won third place, a result is that we also have to lose 3 authors. That puts us at choosing from 26 songs by 16 authors.

If we also eliminate the 13 songs that won second place, we lose 6 more authors. That puts us at choosing from 13 songs by 10 authors.

I'm not proposing that we do either of those things. The plan since the beginning of the SOTMs has been to put the top three songs each month into a SOTY contest, and I'm not advocating changing the game in the ninth inning. I think it will be fun to revisit these 39 songs. But given the calls to kill or downsize the SOTY contest, I thought I'd throw out some alternatives.

Of course, we could also do like Claude says - just name a SOTY and screw the voting. If we go that route, I propose Adam Moses's "Smells Like Dead Babies." If I remember right, everyone loved that one.

xoxox
Spaff

...wait...I'm counting something up right now...just a minute...

hmmm...Hey, we could...no, that wouldn't work...never mind...

Written By: bobbypags on 02/03/05 at 8:57 am

So how many thousands of songs were submitted this year?  Out of these, we're asked to read 39 and pick five and that's too much?  If you think so, don't vote.  I'm happy to take the time over the next three weeks to read and enjoy "the brilliance of such comic greatness".  Besides, I think Emiloca needs a tan.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/03/05 at 11:43 am

All right, I've had some thoughts.  There are enough people concerned about this that I definitely think we should try it a different way.  I'll go over the options and we can vote on it.

Plan A:  Keep it the way it is and just do it.

Plan B:  Remove the third place entries, then just do it.

Plan C:  Remove second and third place entries, THEN just do it.

Plan D:  Take just the thirteen first place entries, plus the next three top vote-getters, seed them NCAA tournament-style by number of votes, and fill a bracket of sixteen.  The first, say, fifteen people who vote will be the official judges in EVERY ROUND.  This is very similar to the March Madness tournament we had last year, except without the part about tracking people down to vote all the time.

Plan E:  Same as Plan D except we fill two brackets of sixteen.  To whittle the entries down to 32, we impose a four song limit on any one author.  Spaff has nine and I have six; we'd go from 39 to exactly 32.  We'd remove our lowest scoring songs.

Plan F:  Just forget the whole thing.

Everyone who's interested feel free to choose a favorite plan.  I'll likely be offline until Monday starting in a little while; hopefully a consensus will emerge by then.  My vote is Plan E.  All right, gotta go; thanks everyone for your patience and stuff.

Written By: jreuben on 02/03/05 at 11:54 am

All right, I've had some thoughts.  There are enough people concerned about this that I definitely think we should try it a different way.  I'll go over the options and we can vote on it.

Plan D:  Take just the thirteen first place entries, plus the next three top vote-getters, seed them NCAA tournament-style by number of votes, and fill a bracket of sixteen.  The first, say, fifteen people who vote will be the official judges in EVERY ROUND.  This is very similar to the March Madness tournament we had last year, except without the part about tracking people down to vote all the time.

Plan E:  Same as Plan D except we fill two brackets of sixteen.  To whittle the entries down to 32, we impose a four song limit on any one author.  Spaff has nine and I have six; we'd go from 39 to exactly 32.  We'd remove our lowest scoring songs.

Everyone who's interested feel free to choose a favorite plan.  I'll likely be offline until Monday starting in a little while; hopefully a consensus will emerge by then.  My vote is Plan E.  All right, gotta go; thanks everyone for your patience and stuff.

I like Plans A and E the best, and would vote for either.  If my vote between these two becomes the deciding vote, I guess I'd go with A (changing my mind).  I'm going to re-read all of them anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I'm against C, D, and especially F.

Plan B is in the middle for me, but for totally selfish reasons (My one eligible song finished 2nd, so while this works for me, it's selfish...I'd rather do A or E)

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread--Don't vote yet; please read

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/03/05 at 12:30 pm

Plan A

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread--Don't vote yet; please read

Written By: bobbypags on 02/03/05 at 12:51 pm

Plan A.  Again, I don't think that asking people to read 39 tunes is asking that much.

Written By: Scathe on 02/03/05 at 1:51 pm

:-\\  Why don't we each nominate a song that we believe stands out for the whole year.  We wouldn't nominate one of our own songs, and it would keep things interesting. :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/03/05 at 3:01 pm

I'm leaning towards each participant of the past year to simply name their favorite of the 1st place finishers. If there's a tie, let it stand. It's nice to consider the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, but, it don't mean diddly-squat to people like me who haven't even placed in the top 3. Let's keep it simple.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 02/03/05 at 3:02 pm

I like B or C, D and E look confusing to me.

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/03/05 at 3:17 pm

Plan F (dropping the whole thing) would be my last choice.

D and E (brackets) sound fun, but it would take someone a lot of effort to coordinate. If we go with one of those, I'll ask to be excused from voting, if that's OK. I'd be uncomfortable having to vote for or against my own song in a head-to-head matchup with any of you.

Y'all realize, of course, that in the time we've spent debating this, we probably coulda just completed the original plan (A). I'm still for that.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: MooRocca on 02/03/05 at 3:49 pm

I like A, B & C best, in that order.

Written By: EmiLoca on 02/03/05 at 4:05 pm

I'd want to go with Plan A, but the reason I was asking whether or not it was necessary for me to participate was not because I think it's too much to ask - I'm just atrociously busy this month and might not have time to read through every single one, judge them accordingly, etc.  Heck, I'm still working on that Amazon map. 

Written By: EthanM on 02/03/05 at 6:31 pm

maybe the voting could end sometime during march

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/03/05 at 7:06 pm

maybe the voting could end sometime during march

That's a good idea. If the SOTY voting ended, say, March 15, that would give everyone a month and a half to make it through the 39 entries. Which is - let me do the math here - more than an entire day per song. How hard is that?!

Plus, those who only want to think about one contest at a time have the rest of this month to vote for January SOTM, then half of March to vote for SOTY, then the rest of March to vote for February SOTM.

I'm down wit dat, homies.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/03/05 at 8:36 pm

I like Plans A and E the best, and would vote for either.  If my vote between these two becomes the deciding vote, I guess I'd go with A (changing my mind).  I'm going to re-read all of them anyway, so it's not a big deal.

exactly what Jeff said (all 3 sentences - it was like he read my mind) - and Claude I think your Plan E was ingenious, so kudos for coming up with it

PS:  Spaff - thanks for pointing me to "Smells Like Dead Babies" and the comments and everything that followed - absorbing reading

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/03/05 at 11:02 pm

Plan A, with the extended deadline of March 15.
PUR-LENTY of time to do it that way.

I also like the idea of everyone nominating a song, but then the voting would be a bit weird because the song you nominated is obviously the one you believe is best. Also, I don't find my nominated song to be my best, even though it got a higher rank than some of my other work, and this may be the case for others. But I think changing anything now would just cause more stressful crap, so I'll just re-iterate my initial choice of:
Plan A, with the extended deadline of March 15.

Written By: PRobinson on 02/03/05 at 11:45 pm

I like the extended voting deadline (March 15th)...I'm too tired tonight to consider the A through E choices right now (my fourth straight 8am-to-8pm workday...tomorrow will be #5...then I get a break...only 8 hours on Saturday...to me that sounds like only working a half-day or something)...

pr

Written By: bobbypags on 02/04/05 at 9:08 am

The extended deadline is a great idea.  However, if it pleases the masses, I'll withdraw "The Ballad of Janet Jackson" from competition.
bob

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/04/05 at 9:48 am

The extended deadline is a great idea.  However, if it pleases the masses, I'll withdraw "The Ballad of Janet Jackson" from competition.
bob

wow, bob, that's gonna play havoc with option E - but I have total confidence that Claude can deal with it :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/04/05 at 10:16 am

Turns out I do have some internet access here so that's good.  I definitely sense a consensus so we're going with plan A with the extended deadline.  Remember that voting is not required for anyone, and no one is required to comment on the parodies.  It's supposed to be fun, so if it's not fun and you have to kill yourself to do it -- please don't, nobody will be chastised or anything like that.  So we can start voting at any time.  If it pleases Bob, I'd like to leave "The Ballad of Janet Jackson" on there but I understand if you really want it removed.  Hey, will there be a "Ballad of Paul McCartney" next week?  I so want him to moon the country, Homer Simpson-style.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the prompt feedback, now we can get this show on the road.

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Contest Voting Thread

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/04/05 at 10:25 am

Plan A all the way....those who regularly log onto the site probably read up to 39 parodies a week, so really, it's no big deal. Remembering that nobody HAS to paricipate, and adding an extended deadline.....pizza cake!!

Written By: bobbypags on 02/04/05 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Claude.  Ok, I'm good with leaving "The Ballad of Janet Jackson" in the competition.  Hey, I agree with several other posts - I really don't think it's asking too much to read them - or, as was suggested, nobody is required to read any or all of them.  (I suggested dropping out to ease the burden.)

ON another I must say, I'm a bit miffed by the fact that a few sponsors decided to drop some very creative commercials (i.e., the janitor accidentally ripping Janet's wardrobe and the priest lusting after the car.)

Good luck to all in the SOTY and Go Eagles.
bob

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/05/05 at 7:29 am

I, too, support A.  Although now that we are here, the voting process does appear more challenging than when it was on the horizon.  So it is probably good to extend the deadline into March.  And "limiting" the field to 39 parodies still excludes a lot of excellent endeavors, so I think it is good that that we have decided not to exclude any more.

I think that D and E would have been most fun for those with more than one parody eligible.  But Spaff's preference for A appears to confirm A is probably the best choice.

Written By: K1chyd on 02/05/05 at 12:00 pm

I think I can handle taking a look at all 39.

However, for those who for some reason can´t, there´s mathematically no reason to have to check out more than 16, assuming they have their own old monthly rankings of those who made top three for each month clear in their head.

Here´s how it works. Take those 12 that you consider to be best of each month and compare them so that you get a priliminary top 5 list. Now lets say your winner is from the month of xxxember. Then you take your nr 2 from that month and compare it to first your runner up and if it´s not better than that one your number 3, 4 and 5 to see if it´s better than any of those.

Now you either have a new number 2 or the same nr 2 as before. Whatever the alternative of those two you now take the monthy runner up to that song that now holds your second vote and compare it with your nr 3, which may be the same as you started out with, nr 2 pushed down one place, or the previous song you compared with the list.

Now, in just for steps you have compared monthly runner ups with your your original list in falling order to sort out a final list of top 5.

Someone can probably explain this better than me though...  :D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/05/05 at 7:03 pm

I think I can handle taking a look at all 39.

However, for those who for some reason can´t, there´s mathematically no reason to have to check out more than 16, assuming they have their own old monthly rankings of those who made top three for each month clear in their head.

Here´s how it works. Take those 12 that you consider to be best of each month and compare them so that you get a priliminary top 5 list. Now lets say your winner is from the month of xxxember. Then you take your nr 2 from that month and compare it to first your runner up and if it´s not better than that one your number 3, 4 and 5 to see if it´s better than any of those.

Now you either have a new number 2 or the same nr 2 as before. Whatever the alternative of those two you now take the monthy runner up to that song that now holds your second vote and compare it with your nr 3, which may be the same as you started out with, nr 2 pushed down one place, or the previous song you compared with the list.

Now, in just for steps you have compared monthly runner ups with your your original list in falling order to sort out a final list of top 5.

Someone can probably explain this better than me though...  :D

K1, are you that guy that invented integral calculus ? ?

- no, I agree with you in theory, and the logic is flawless, but I'll be taking a fresh look at all of them, because some grow on you, and the context is different :)

Written By: K1chyd on 02/06/05 at 10:52 am

K1, are you that guy that invented integral calculus ? ?

Naah, I´m his psychiatrist...

...I'll be taking a fresh look at all of them, because some grow on you, and the context is different :)

Good points.

Written By: MooRocca on 02/06/05 at 11:39 am

5 points to #13:
Esther Madge Veronica Louise Ciccone Ritchie by Spaff.com

4 points to #7:
Can't Do Plumbin', Sink's A Fountain by Kristof Robertson

3 points to #23:
Just A Severed Head (Ain't Got No Body) by Claude Prez

2 points to #28:
99 Rubber Boobs by Stuart McArthur

1 point to #29:
On the Joys of Burglary by neminem

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/07/05 at 9:09 pm

As it would take eons to sift through these on the library computer, I am printing these off and studying them at home with a red pen, with notes such as 'effort in research, Johnny!', 'brilliant rhyme, Spaff!' and 'when's then video clip coming out, MooRocca?'
So far I've marked half of them out of twenty, and have six over 19.

Some stunningly enjoyable stuff here. TO THE NEXT HALF!

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/08/05 at 2:13 pm

I've never had so much fun (re)reading parodies. There's an amazing amount of talent on this site.

I painfully narrowed it down to 11, and then to 7, and finally:

5 points: #30, "Over the Hill"
4 points: #34, "See Your Chest"
3 points: #15, "Grandma Makes Her Living as a Stripper"
2 points: #3, "A Bear Named Pooh"
1 point: #28, "99 Rubber Boobs"

And I really don't think the fact that today is Mardi Gras influenced any of my decisions. Boobs are delightful year-round.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: bobbypags on 02/08/05 at 4:22 pm

Wow, too bad there's not a booby prize.  Anyway, just a hell of a job by everyone on this list and all of you should be extremely proud to be on this list; I'm sincerely honored to be in the presence of such greatness. 

Here are my votes and I'm sticking to them:

5 points - #1 - American Pride by Johnny D
4 points - #4 - A Bear Named Pooh by Claude Prez
3 points - #13 - Esther Madge Veronica Louise Ciccone Ritchie by Spaff.com
2 points - #17 - Hello Philip, Nice Armada by John Jenkins
1 point - #15 - Grandma Makes Her Living As a Stripper by MooRocca

Again, all were great writes, I just found these to be the most creative for my tastes.

Later,
bob

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/08/05 at 11:21 pm

Crapping crikey and a croc's cloaca, this was agonising to vote on. My marking technique emulated Year 12 Advanced English marking criteria, and resulted in 17 parodies with a mark of 19/20 or higher, which did not simplify things as I had originally hoped.
After much deliberation, I was soon coming up with more ridiculous ways of finding my finalists.
"Would this parody have been less enjoyable if sung by a blinded, crippled child?"
"If this author never existed, would this parody have ever been done as well?"
"Aliens enter the room and say they will destory the earth if I do not give them the best song parody of 2004. Which will save us?"

In the end, I've settled on these out of a score of brilliant parodies:

"Shakesperean Pie" by Spaff- 5 points
"The Weapon of Brave Sir Farqharlot" by Phil Alexander- 4 points
"Reasons Why Women Need Men" by 2nz- 3 points
"Men Speak" by EmiLoca- 2 points
"Mr Miracle Guy" by Ethan Mawyer- 1 point

Kudos for the remaining 19.5'ers, in no particular order:
"Over The Hill" by Claude Prez
"See Your Chest" by Phil A
"I'm A Dick" by Spaff
"Blind Dates Kind of Bite" by Spaff

Written By: K1chyd on 02/13/05 at 6:50 am

IMHO the best parody of 2004 was “Federal Unclean Communications Kommission” by Spaff. Not only a very good text and funny to sing out loud but an important kick towards the growing forces of Western New-Victorianism that hasn´t understood that freedom defined is freedom denied.

Unfortunately that parody isn´t in this contest, but those who wanna help out in the restoration of its pre-crash-of-july number of votes can find it here:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/julieandrewsmarypoppins5.shtml

As for the Song of the Year competition…

5 Points to “The reasons why women need men” by 2nz

4 Points to “Over the hill” by Claude Prez

3 Points to “I read it in the tabloids” by Claude Prez

2 Points to “Esther Madge Veronica Louise Ciccone Ritchie” by Spaff.com

1 Point to “The weapon of bold sir Farqharlot” by Phil Alexander

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/17/05 at 5:31 pm

I sat here and re-read all of our contenders, narrowed it down to 10 goodies, thanked the lord we didn't have to go back and post a comment one more time, gnashed teeth, eliminated songs that were written by the same author, put the artistic, aesthetic and humor radar lights up in my brain, and finally calculated what I believe are the songs of the year...

5 pts--Shakespearean Pie, Spaff.com
4 pts--Over The Hill, Claude Prez
3 pts--Hello Philip Nice Armada, John Jenkins
2 pts--Devout Me, Luke Brattoni
1pts--The Weapon of Sir Farquarhlot, Phil Alexander

All of these were beyond mere humorous word changes...they all evoked an unbelievable literary and timeless quality. If we coulda had 6 songs, I would have kept Rick's Media Celebrity, eliminated only for its topicality. Congratulations to all of you, really, this has been an amazing year! 8)

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/17/05 at 11:01 pm

I have agonized over this vote for most of the week, and it’s not getting any easier.

5 points – #35 - “Shakespearian Pie” by Spaff.com
4 points - #4 – “A Bear Named Pooh” by Claude Prez”
3 points - #34 – “See Your Chest” by Phil Alexander
2 points - #12 – “Elmer's New Gwoove (Wady-Hunting Time)” by 2nz
1 point - #25 – “Media Celebrity” by Rick Duncan

Honorable mention to the two super Super Bowl halftime parodies, Kristof Robertson’s tribute to DIY, M&P's tribute to an injured appendage, and MooRocca’s tribute to grandmothers.  And everything that I didn’t mention was still honorable.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/18/05 at 6:32 am

Read every one (some I hadn't seen before) and I'm almost embarrassed that my top 3 were by authors in the same order as the Author of the Year scoring.

It was a lot of work to narrow 39 down to 10, but then to get to 5, I had to leave out Ethan's "Mr Miracle Guy", Rick's "Media Celebrity", Luke's "Devout Me", Jeff's "Cross-Eyed Girl", and Mari's "Baby Boomers Rap" 

5 points:  Spaff's "Shakespearian Pie" - extraordinary -  a very clear winner for mine
4 points:  Claude's "Just A Severed Head" - quirky, funny, great and lateral play on the OS, and expertly-crafted
3 points:  Phil's "See Your Chest" - so many good and funny ideas, great rhythm, and so tightly packed
2 points:  Johnny D's "American Pride" - hadn't seen it before, but I'm a sucker for American Pie parodies, and detail, and effort, and this had all three
1 point:   Merry and Pippin's  "Folding Chair"  because it was so wacky, and tongue-in-cheek, and "look-at-me" with its syllable-pacing (which I love), and so "them"!

I'm off for a drink....

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/24/05 at 6:52 pm

I had to leave out... Luke's "Devout Me"... 

Oh, you HAD to. That's fine then.
;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/24/05 at 9:55 pm

Five points to #35 "Shakespearean Pie".

Four points to #13 "Esther".

Three points to #34 "See Your Chest".

Two points to #25 "Media Celebrity".

One point to #36 "That's Annoying".

Outstanding stuff, all.  A pleasure to revisit.  Oh, and not a big deal but some of these songs have alarmingly low vote totals due to the big crash so if you think of it when you read them go ahead and replace a lost vote if you don't mind; thank you.

Written By: neminem on 02/24/05 at 10:21 pm

Dude! I have a point!  :o

I think that convinced me to go vote (sometime later than now but before the deadline). It is a lot of time that I don't really have available at the moment, but I'll try anyway.

Written By: MooRocca on 03/04/05 at 7:59 am

Bump

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/04/05 at 8:44 am

5 points for #38. The Weapon Of Bold Knight Sir Farqharlot by Phil Alexander

4 points for #17. Hello Philip, Nice Armada by John Jenkins

3 points for #25. Media Celebrity by Rick Duncan

2 points for #35. Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com

1 point for #28. 99 Rubber Boobs by Stuart McArthur

Written By: Rick D on 03/04/05 at 10:37 am

Guess I should do this soon. I'm going for the difficulty factor.

5 pts Emiloca "Eat the Rest", I'm a sucker for that show.

4 pts Phil, for "Sir Farqualot" What a story!

3 pts for Mari, "A Baby Boomer's Rap" I did not vote for her before out of"fairness" but I know what she went throught to write this.

2 pts Claude "Over the Hill" Hits home.

1 Spaff, "Uranus" not for the length, but for all the parodies this started. Besides he's up here enough.

Written By: jreuben on 03/05/05 at 9:57 am

5 pts 1 American Pride Johnny D
4 pts 12 Elmer's New Gwoove 2nz
3 pts 26 Men Speak Emiloca
2 pts 34 See Your Chest Phil A
1 pt 36 That's Annoying Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 03/13/05 at 3:06 pm

Trying to select the "Top parody" of the year...even the Top 5...so intimidating a task I nearly took a pass on even trying.  But,  here I am...pushing up against the deadline I believe:

S0....anyway (and with apologies to all the great stuff I didn't vote for)

1st place -  #36 Spaff's annoyingly great work tops my list once again.  ARRRRGGGHHH!
2nd place - #26 EmiLoca's - ode to odious, obtuse men - I was nearly speechless for a moment
3rd place - #17 John Jenkins - History made humorous - Armada, yada-yada
4th place - #20 Rick D - I had to shake it up a bit to get this vote out - not a Donation, man, you earned it.
5th place - #15 MooRocca - Granny shows her fanny (and more) got my funny bone all excited.

Was going to mention some honorable mentions but that would slight whoever I left off...everybody else deserves several honorable mentions - and I think they mostly got them somewhere around here. 

OH...yeah - It was a very good year...

pr

Written By: philbo on 03/14/05 at 5:09 pm

5 points - #18 - I feel Happy (and Sneezy and...) Still my favourite of the year, nearly my favourite on the site.
4 points - #25 - Media Celebrity
3 points - #21 - I Read it in the Tabloids
2 points - #28 - 99 Rubber Boobs
1 point  - #33 - Red State Woman

It's quite scary how much time I've spend re-reading this lot.  Makes me wish I had a load of spare time and a recording studio, 'cause they're all SOOO much better than the stuff that's in the charts at the moment: and that goes for every single song in this list.

Written By: 2nz on 03/14/05 at 11:41 pm

It was excellent revisiting so much quality work. But let's get to it:

5 points: #4. A Bear Named Pooh by Claude Prez

4 points: #26. Men Speak by EmiLoca

3 points: #25. Media Celebrity by Rick Duncan

2 points: #5. A Boob At The Half by Paul Robinson

1 point: #18. I Feel Happy (and Sneezy and...) by Spaff.com

Written By: 2nz on 03/16/05 at 5:51 pm

2 points: #3, "A Bear Named Pooh"

Spaff, did you mean #4, Claude's 'Bear' OR #3, Bob's 'Halftime Comment'?

Written By: 2nz on 03/16/05 at 5:56 pm

1st place -  #36 Spaff's annoyingly great work tops my list once again.  ARRRRGGGHHH!

Just to clarify Paul, which of Spaff's annoying works did you mean: #36 'That's Annoying' OR #35 'Shakespearian Rhapsody'?

Written By: Spaff.com on 03/16/05 at 11:20 pm

Spaff, did you mean #4, Claude's 'Bear' OR #3, Bob's 'Halftime Comment'?

"A Bear Named Pooh." Sorry for my inability to count to four. I must have had two fingers up my nose.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 03/17/05 at 12:57 am

Just to clarify Paul, which of Spaff's annoying works did you mean: #36 'That's Annoying' OR #35 'Shakespearian Rhapsody'?

2nz - Actually I prefer #36, "That's Annoying" - I know that's out of the general flow, but for some reason it just does more tickling of my funny bone.  I think it's a "length preference" thing (yeah, I can just hear the comments that will probably draw out...go ahead...have fun...),  I always did prefer "Classic Comics" to the actual "Classics"...my attention wanders with longer works...you can tell that just by reading some of my incredibly lengthy, rambling comments...

pr

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/17/05 at 3:52 am

Wow, I totally forgot the voting ended Tuesday.  Thanks for the clarifications 2nz.  Does this mean you're tallying up to announce the winner so I don't have to?  By my count we have a very pesky, like, three or four way tie for second but it's pretty obvious what the Song of the Year is.  Anyway, if no one makes the formal announcement first I'll do it sometime Friday.  Thanks to all who voted.

Written By: 2nz on 03/17/05 at 10:50 am

2nz - Actually I prefer #36, "That's Annoying" - I know that's out of the general flow, but for some reason it just does more tickling of my funny bone.  I think it's a "length preference" thing (yeah, I can just hear the comments that will probably draw out...go ahead...have fun...),  I always did prefer "Classic Comics" to the actual "Classics"...my attention wanders with longer works...you can tell that just by reading some of my incredibly lengthy, rambling comments...

pr

No prob. I actually share that sentiment. And ironically so do most people who aren't themselves parody authors. The first thing out of at least 80% of the people who I showed 'Twelve Days of Finals' to started by saying "Man... that's long". Thanks for clarifying, just makin' sure. 

Does this mean you're tallying up to announce the winner so I don't have to?  By my count we have a very pesky, like, three or four way tie for second but it's pretty obvious what the Song of the Year is.

My first idea was to tally up myself, so you don't need to. But if Friday rolls around and no ones posted, then just go ahead and post your tally.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/19/05 at 10:04 am

...I know that's out of the general flow, but for some reason it just does more tickling of my funny bone.  I think it's a "length preference" thing (yeah, I can just hear the comments that will probably draw out...go ahead...have fun...),  I always did prefer "Classic Comics" to the actual "Classics"...my attention wanders with longer works...you can tell that just by reading some of my incredibly lengthy, rambling comments...

I'm kinda with you on that man. I had a shortlist of more than 10 (but who didn't) and Spaff's "Shakespearian" in a preliminary top three position but when I got around to compare them for the third time I realised that I had to add some sort of personal criterias and that become higher emphasis on the LOL-factor and a bit lower on the lengthy, mostly because of whats been stated up here in this thread. I'm not saying I'll keep that as a general rule, just that it was how I decided to tell stuff apart in this competition.

Check for new replies or respond here...