inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2004 Song of the Year Results

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/18/05 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations to Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com, the AmiRight/ SOTM Parody Song of the Year for 2004.  Lots of pesky ties so here's how the top ten came out by my count:

First Place -- Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com 27 points

Second Place -- See Your Chest by Phil Alexander 15 points

Second Place also -- The Weapon of Bold Sir Knight Farqharlot by Phil Alexander 15 points

Second Place also too -- Over the Hill by Claude Prez 15 points

Second Place also too as well -- A Bear Named Pooh by Claude Prez 15 points

Sixth Place -- Esther Madge Veronica Louise Ciccone Ritchie by Spaff.com 14 points

Seventh Place -- Media Celebrity by Rick Duncan 13 points

Seventh Place also -- Men Speak by Emiloca 13 points

Ninth Place -- American Pride by Johnny D 12 points

Ninth Place also -- Hello Philip, Nice Armada by John Jenkins 12 points

Others receiving votes:

The Reasons Why Women Need Men by 2nz 8 points

That's Annoying by Spaff.com 7 points

Just a Severed Head (Ain't Got No Body) by Claude Prez 7 points

99 Rubber Boobs by Stuart McArthur 6 points

Elmer's New Gwoove (Wady-Hunting Time) by 2nz 6 points

I Feel Happy (and Sneezy and...) by Spaff.com 6 points

I Read It In The Tabloids by Claude Prez 6 points

Grandma Makes Her Living As A Stripper by MooRocca 5 points

Eat The Rest by EmiLoca 5 points

Can't Do Plumbin', Sink's A Fountain by Kristof Robertson 4 points

A Baby Boomer's Rap by Mari Aranoff Duncan 3 points

A Boob At The Half by Paul Robinson 2 points

Devout Me by Luke Brattoni 2 points

I'm Goin' To Donate, I Am by Rick Duncan 2 points

It's A Folding Chair by Merry and Pippin 1 point

Mr. Miracle Guy by Ethan Mawyer 1 point

On The Joys of Burglary by neminem 1 point

Red State Woman by Spaff.com 1 point

Uranus! by Spaff.com 1 point

Congratulations to everybody, though; every single song in this competition was truly a winner.  Also, I'm pretty sure I counted correctly but if I missed any I apologize and it wasn't intentional.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote.

Subject: Re: 2004 Song of the Year Results

Written By: 2nz on 03/18/05 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations Spaff, on trouncing everyone with your superior performance on the endurance trial. Congratulations also to (in no particular order) Phil, Phil, Claude, Claude, Spaff, Rick, Emi, JD and John. Superb examples of lyrical funny-ness. Great show everyone, really. I don't know about y'all, but that's enough of getting my ass handed to me for one year. Onward and to the left!

Written By: philbo on 03/18/05 at 6:01 pm

Remarkably close, wasn't it?  There were so many great songs, so different to choose from, too.

Congratulations to everyone here, and I did enjoy reading through all of those again.  I can see I'm going to have to up my game... I've not done anything quite so good this year.  Yet.

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/18/05 at 6:07 pm

Congratulations to The Mighty Spaff!  ;D

And to the rest of us, of course!  ;D

Written By: John Jenkins on 03/18/05 at 7:14 pm

every single song in this competition was truly a winner

Usually statements like that are feeble attempts to restore the self esteems of also-rans and losers; but, in this case, I agree with Claude.  There was a lot of creativity and word power in all 39 parodies.  I think Claude's rule not requiring voting was appropriate, but I was surprised that 6 writers who had parodies in the contest did not vote.  Of course, more votes would not have effected the results of the the first place winner and song of the year, but they might have broken up the second place logjam.

In any case, Spaff, congratulations for completing a dominating year as the 2004 Author of the Year and the writer of the 2004 Song of the Year.  But, it looks like Claude and some other writers are raising the level of their games in 2005, so don't get complacent.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/19/05 at 4:05 am

...I think Claude's rule not requiring voting was appropriate, but I was surprised that 6 writers who had parodies in the contest did not vote. Of course, more votes would not have effected the results of the the first place winner and song of the year, but they might have broken up the second place logjam...

For the record, at least one writer who didn't have a song in the contest but had participated in about half of the monthly rounds did vote, so that made up for at least 1/6 of that...  ;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/19/05 at 5:13 am

I think Claude's rule not requiring voting was appropriate, but I was surprised that 6 writers who had parodies in the contest did not vote. 

Guilty as charged!! Not that I didn't want to....but I could only narrow it down to 19 songs that I wanted to vote for, and with SO much fabulous writing on display, I felt I would have to randomly select from those 19 and assign them points....which I didn't want to do. In my first year on Amiright, I have read some of the most inspiring, funny and technically stunning pieces of musical literature I've ever come across, and I want to thank Chucky for bringing this site into existence. Congrats of course to Spaff, who should be rich and famous on the back of the work he produces, and to each of the finalists, who gave me so much joy.
Message to self: must try harder this year.....

Written By: John Jenkins on 03/19/05 at 7:21 am

For the record, at least one writer who didn't have a song in the contest but had participated in about half of the monthly rounds did vote, so that made up for at least 1/6 of that...  ;)

I definitely commend K1chyd and Agrimorfee for voting even though they did not have parodies in the contest.  They were the two highest scorers in the Author of the year voting totals who did not have parodies in the contest because, while they both had a lot of good parodies, they were somewhat unfortunate not to make the top 3 in any month.  I have a hunch that might change in 2005.

Written By: EmiLoca on 03/19/05 at 2:09 pm

Muchos meatballs, everyone...and a big heaping spaghetti platter to Spaff.  ;D

Mucho tomatoes to me, who didn't actually vote because I didn't read all the parodies.  *rousing 'BOO' from audience*

On to Round 2! *ding*

Written By: Peregrin on 03/19/05 at 3:52 pm

I think Claude's rule not requiring voting was appropriate, but I was surprised that 6 writers who had parodies in the contest did not vote. 

John, I understand, but in this case in can speak for both Merry and myself, you might note that we haven't been around at all, in terms of voting, participating in *any* contests or submitting new parodies.

Simply put, for both of us, life is way too busy right now.

Regrettably, other things take precedence and this is one of the things that fall off the edge.  Hopefully that will change again soon.

I was personally glad that there was a 'not requiring a vote rule' because I simply don't have the luxury of the time that I would need to do it enough justice, and that makes *me* sad  :-\\ :(

This is in part why Merry and I have at least for the moment made a conscious decision that we are not participating in any of the contests. Because they all require comment, and because we *both* try and source out the original to every song *and* listen to it - because we both believe that is the only way to do it fairly, well, we just can't right now.  There simply isn't enough time.

It's not that we don't *want* to.  Far from it  :o

Having said all that, congrats to all who were in there, what  great bunch of songs (from a glance  ;D)  :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 03/19/05 at 9:19 pm

Celebrate good rhymes, come on!
(Spaaaff's elation! Woo woo!)

Propsicles to everyone else, too! It was great fun to read through such splendour.

Written By: Spaff.com on 03/20/05 at 12:36 pm

In the immortal words of William Shakespeare, "Frickin' A, man! This is aaaawesome! Drinks are on me, baby!"

Thanks to everyone who was considerate enough to vote. It's too bad that it was a chore for some people to read through a few dozen parodies; I found rereading them all a real pleasure. For those who appreciate this kind of writing (and presumably you all do or you wouldn't be here), the SOTM and SOTY entries are a helluva lot of fun and an impressive collection of talent. I sure wish that y'all were the lyricists for all the stuff on the radio. I'd listen nonstop.

But enough about you - let's talk about me.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I spent more time on "Shakespearean Pie" than I've spent on any other piece of writing in my life. (And I'll admit that I spent too many years in courses that required a buttload of writing). So: (1) I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be a complete waste of time, and (2) I will never do it again.

I fear that one of these days y'all are going to get sick to death of me and we'll see lists posted on the messageboard like:
MOST OVERRATED AMIRIGHT AUTHORS
1. Spaff.com
2. Spaff.com
3. Spaff.com

But until that backlash gets unbearable, I'll keep playing with you on Chucky's playground.

Congrats to Claude and Philbo and Claude and Philbo for making up the other four slots in the top two, and to everyone else for making it to the Big Dance. And I can't thank Claude 4 Prez enough for putting the SOTMs together. It's obvious that these contests are directly responsible for raising Amiright's parody quality bar to a much higher, um, height.

Anyhoo. Thanks again, everyone. I think what I'm most pleased with overall is that "Uranus!" tied for 25th place.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: John Jenkins on 03/20/05 at 2:41 pm

I think what I'm most pleased with overall is that "Uranus!" tied for 25th place.

Spaff, as dominant as you were in 2004, twenty four of us can still proudly proclaim that we whipped "Uranus."

Written By: EmiLoca on 03/20/05 at 7:54 pm

It's okay, Spaff...25th place or no, the creativity explosion that Uranus emitted will never be mopped from our memories.

Written By: neminem on 03/23/05 at 5:16 pm

I was personally glad that there was a 'not requiring a vote rule' because I simply don't have the luxury of the time that I would need to do it enough justice, and that makes *me* sad  :-\\ :(

What he said.

Written By: jreuben on 03/24/05 at 9:24 am

In the immortal words of William Shakespeare, "Frickin' A, man! This is aaaawesome! Drinks are on me, baby!"

Thanks to everyone who was considerate enough to vote. It's too bad that it was a chore for some people to read through a few dozen parodies; I found rereading them all a real pleasure. For those who appreciate this kind of writing (and presumably you all do or you wouldn't be here), the SOTM and SOTY entries are a helluva lot of fun and an impressive collection of talent. I sure wish that y'all were the lyricists for all the stuff on the radio. I'd listen nonstop.

But enough about you - let's talk about me.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I spent more time on "Shakespearean Pie" than I've spent on any other piece of writing in my life. (And I'll admit that I spent too many years in courses that required a buttload of writing). So: (1) I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be a complete waste of time, and (2) I will never do it again.

I fear that one of these days y'all are going to get sick to death of me and we'll see lists posted on the messageboard like:
MOST OVERRATED AMIRIGHT AUTHORS
1. Spaff.com
2. Spaff.com
3. Spaff.com

But until that backlash gets unbearable, I'll keep playing with you on Chucky's playground.

Congrats to Claude and Philbo and Claude and Philbo for making up the other four slots in the top two, and to everyone else for making it to the Big Dance. And I can't thank Claude 4 Prez enough for putting the SOTMs together. It's obvious that these contests are directly responsible for raising Amiright's parody quality bar to a much higher, um, height.

Anyhoo. Thanks again, everyone. I think what I'm most pleased with overall is that "Uranus!" tied for 25th place.

xoxox
Spaff

Congratulations, you deserve it as well as Claude and Philbo.  Now when can I get that free drink?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...