inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright idle 2005 judge tryouts

Written By: EthanM on 03/22/05 at 1:21 pm

i'm trying to start this up and i'm using the same basic formula that chucky used last time... i'll put up three parody links and all applicants should write a review for each in this thread accompanied by a vote with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. The three best reviewers will be judges, and they should also be established regulars on the site so we don't have the problems that happened last time. Anyway, here are the three songs, all from today:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/tompetty22.shtml

http://amiright.com/parody/2000s/u242.shtml

http://amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1037.shtml

you have until April 1st

Subject: Re: Amiright idle 2005 judge tryouts

Written By: Silver Power on 03/25/05 at 11:54 am

Here are my reviews:

Tom Petty “Last Dance With Mary Jane“ Parody: Pacing was perfect, and it was pretty funny. It was a joy to read.

I give it a 9

U2: This is true, but the pacing was just a tiny bit off. Vertigo was stuck in my head for a while. It's more overplayed than "Hey Ya!" This wasn't very funny, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be. Some parodies are written just to make a point.

I give it a 6

Beatles “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds“ Parody: I’m pretty fickle. I hate card games, but I loved this song! Pacing is great, losing card games stinks.

I give it a 10

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/25/05 at 12:27 pm

1)"Can't Stand Frasier Crane" Parody by Tokusou Sentai Blessranger

I've been a longtime follower of TSB, just to see how weird he(she?) can be with the dadaist references to kiddy tv shows and wildly uneven pacing. This was one of his better efforts, kinda lost something by the time he starts mentioning Prairie Dawn. I can't vouch for the pacing, because I only heard the OS once or twice...all in all, I give a 5/10.

2)Overplayed" Parody by Abbott Skelding
I gave this one a 555 on the site, because I heartily agreed on the concept and I let the pacing problem go where the "feeeeel" line would have been. Also had clever bridge "all this I don't want" echoing the OS lyrics, too. 8/10

3)"Losing with Ace High of Diamonds" Parody by Patrick Yoness.
This was a clever song, but not terribly funny and I had trouble keeping up with the pace on a few lines. The punning title is killer, though. 7/10

Written By: EthanM on 03/28/05 at 12:18 pm

the deadline is extended indefinitely until a few more people try out... but don't hesitate to leave reviews as soon as possible

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/28/05 at 1:08 pm

Oh goody! I love writing reviews. I don't know what kind of length you are looking for, but I can make them longer or shorter as need dictates.

Entry #1:  "Can't Stand Frasier Crane"

I can honestly say I don't understand TSB. I know he's a little kid, but most of his parodies are weak even for a 12 year old (I wrote some pretty solid parodies areound age 12, which I might submit someday). On the other hand, the sheer volume of parodies from this tyke is staggering, and he deserves major respect for that. I'm actually suprised we were able to find a song that wasn't a parody of an obscure anime or TV theme. That being said, this is probably the best parody I've read from this kid. I don't know the OS completely well, but I'm listening to it right now. The pacing is essentially perfect. Of course, perfect pacing does not a perfect song make. Most of the rhymes are awkward and seem forced. This results in a "clunky" feel to the entire song. That, combined with the esoteric subject matter, results in a score of 6/10 from me.

#2: "Overplayed"

I feel a little more comfortable reviewing this than the last one, as I am very well acquainted with the OS (who isn't?). So let's jump right in and talk pacing. When the pacing works, it works. Some of the lines in there are really great. The last chorus in particular, had me laughing. However, there are a few substantial pacing hiccups. Several lines have more than one extra sylable. If the song was being sung, it would not be so much of a problem, but keep in mind that this is a site where songs are submitted in the written format. This is why I have problems with large pacing errors. The other thing is that some parts just didn't make sense. I speak of the first part of the second verse, in particular. It's as if the writer didn't have any ideas so he just replaced a couple words from the original and left the result. However, as mentioned before, I found some parts of the song wildly funny. "So U2 thinks they can play rock and roll/We know that they can't sing/But they don't know" cracked me up. It's very uneven, which keeps it from being great, but the bright spots are numerous and make this song good for a 7/10.

#3: "Losing With Ace High of Diamonds"

Hi. My name's Charlie, and I'm a poker-holic. I can't get enough pokerhol! In addition, I am dangerously addicted to Beatles music. And finally, as you will know by now, I'm a pacing hound. This parody combines all of these elements with aplomb. It starts out fantasitc right away, with the clever title. The first line "Picture card gives him a boat on the river" may only be understood by poker players, but it is one of the best lines I have read all day. There are several lines that made me laugh, or smile at the very least. This parody is by far the funniest of the three reviewed here. In addition, the pacing is sterling. In fact, I only counted a single missing sylable, and a single added sylable. That is as close to perfect as they come, unless you are an amiright diety (I'm looking at you, Spaff). When original lyrics are left in, they are incorporated perfectly and make perfect sense. On top of all of this, the rhymes are good. Good, sensical rhymes are probably the hardest thing to grasp when writing parodies, but Patrick pulls it off like a pro. So, I'm cruising along, listening to LSD and singing along with Patrick's lyrics, having a great time, when I make a terrible discovery - He forgot the last verse. I was crushed! I was ready to give out a 10, but the lack of a verse makes that impossible. I can't believe that nobody else has noticed this. So I'm going to give this one an 9/10, based on what is actually there. Had the last verse been included, I would have gone all-in with the 10.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/28/05 at 1:09 pm

BTW, Ethan, the title of the thread should read "Idol," should it not?  ;)

Written By: jreuben on 03/28/05 at 1:11 pm

BTW, Ethan, the title of the thread should read "Idol," should it not?  ;)

I think there was concern about trademarks the first time around, hence the intentional "Idle".  Not that Fox would come around here whining about it, but Chucky wanted to be safe.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/28/05 at 1:14 pm

Capice. Thanks for the heads up!

So, I wasn't around for the last time this was done. What's the format like?

Written By: EthanM on 03/29/05 at 12:23 am

i might change it around a bit from last time depending on how much interest there is

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/16/05 at 2:35 pm

Sorry i'm a bit late, but I would love to be a judge. I'm not easily impressed, and I do not just hand out 5s willy-nilly (just ask anyone who's parodies I have rated!  ;D)

Anyway, my reviews:

Can't Stand Frasier Crane
The first thing I noticed when I was reading this is that it contains the very thing that immediately turns me off parodies - the same choruses throughout. i like to see imagination and creativity, not just cut and paste. Can't remember the original well enough to completely review it, but it looks like a pretty okay parody. Some clever things included in it, but other things "Im tired and I am not bad" I found were really awkward. Based on what I've read, this seems like a 6/10

Overplayed
Right, I know this one. Some of the pacing is really off in some places, and it's very easy to tell where you've tried to fit a long sentence into a short verse. One of the choruses is missing, so you can't get more than a 4 on pacing, and that's only if the rest of the song's immaculate (which it isn't), and like I said when I left a comment on it, it isn't really that funny. Certainly not a five funny. I can, however, appreciate your efforts with the humour, and I also used to hear this song every ten minutes on the tv, so it's quite a good subject to write about, and you've picked a good, quite-well known song to try and communicate this idea. I originally gave this 433, but since as this is out of ten= 5/10

Losing with Ace High of Diamonds
This is well written. Can't remember the original, so no vote on pacing. Some of the lines used are well thought up, but, again, it's not side-splitting stuff. The topic and the song you've based it on are really well picked, but i'm afraid this does not appeal to me very much. 6/10

There, I've reviewed them and told you what I think. I'm sorry for being late with my reply, but I only seen this thread today, and I thought i'd give it a try. I'm honest, harsh (but not too harsh) and I don't care what votes other people give (numerous times i've given a parody 454 when it's had only 555s before hand). Thank you

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 1:31 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/tompetty22.shtml

I haven't heard this song in a while so I can't rate the pacing but it was average funny. Some songs that have MANY choruses such as " American Pie " I want to see variation, but on this song it is ok ( I know it is sung slow ). I don't necessarily agree with the parody ( except the slam on Seinfeld and Will and Grace ).
Many errors in here to me. I will cut and paste:

I'm tired of watching Cheers,I'm tired of Will & Grace
I'm tired of Seinfeld,I'm such a big disgrace

Wouldn't the last "I'm" be better with "It's"  or "They're"? Why would HE be a disgrace vs the shows he says he is tired of? Also, there are several words he could have used instead of "tired" like bored, repelled, appalled, detest, etc, that would have made it funnier and less repetitive ( would require a few other modifications of the lines to make most of those work ).

Also this in the chorus:

Watching Cheers isn't bad and I'm
Tired and I am not sad

He seems to contradict himself by saying that he's " tired of watching Cheers " but then says " Watching Cheers isn't bad " . Also the rest of the chorus seems to rhyme just for rhyme's sake and doesn't make sense to me. If it it factual then I salute him for doing his homework on the parody but I cannot verify it personally.
I would give it a 5/10 Average

http://amiright.com/parody/2000s/u242.shtml

I have not heard TOS on this except clips from iPOD commercials and maybe once from MTV. Judging from others comments some of the song was missing which almost always gets pacing docks. However, I could not agree with the message more that ever time I turn on the radio it seems like the same 10 songs are on for weeks. This parody doesn't seem to have much rhyming in it but perhaps TOS doesn't either. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though and I loved older U2 stuff. This song could apply really to any song that is "Overplayed".
Because of it's message I give it a 7/10 Pretty Good

http://amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1037.shtml

I commented on this song but again haven't heard it in a long enough time to vote it. I am a poker nut though and love the parody including the clever parody name. I like it when someone makes a parody about a "real" topic though and it is factually correct. I also like the reverse order of the parody going from the "River" card in the first stanza back to the "turn" card in the second stanza, as a true poker player would review a hand they had lost with what they thought was a sure win. This isn't side splitting funny but the best of the lot here.

Because of all that I give it an 8/10 Very Good

Note: My own personal guidlines on these 3 picks are just for these 3. They may fare worse if I remembered TOSs with perfect clarity. They are also not my type of music but a judge has to judge the PARODY not TOS. There are many OSs I dislike but have found the parodies hilarious ( one case is " Macarena" and the parody has been recorded but cannot be put here because it is adult oriented- in that case I detested TOS but the parody made my face hurt from laughing ).

I do not personally care who wrote a parody as that may bias an opinion. I am here to vote a PARODY not the PARODIST.

Not that it would be likely to happen, but if say Spaff.com made a "bad" parody I would point out the problems with it. I do not show favoritism to parodists AT ALL.

I can also find humor in nearly everything with few exceptions if it is put into the right context, but PACING has to come first for me because if I know TOS or have the CD if I cannot HUM or SING the parodied words over the OS with little difficulty then the rest is nearly moot.

EDIT: I plan on being around this site ALONG time and by the end of the month should be close to 100 parodies. I only started 2 1/2 months ago. Many of mine have had pacing problems ( mostly my earlier ones but I still screw up ), not been funny, and in my case trademark spelling mistakes ( which I hardly ever dock people for unless the parody is nearly unreadable )

Had one of MY parodies been randomly selected I would have picked it apart as well because I tend to be harsh on myself. There are only *maybe* 4 or so of my parodies out of 80+ that I would vote a perfect 10.

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 3:24 pm

ok I'll be starting this soon. The entry thread will be up soon. And the judges are:

Agrimorfee
Red Ant
Charlie Decker

Alternate #1: Dumb ass kid
Alternate #2: Silver Power

The actual ratings for the contest will be out of 100 to avoid ties, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for the judges

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 3:54 pm

ok I'll be starting this soon. The entry thread will be up soon. And the judges are:

Agrimorfee
Red Ant
Charlie Decker

Alternate #1: Dumb butt kid
Alternate #2: Silver Power

The actual ratings for the contest will be out of 100 to avoid ties, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for the judges

Okay, now that I have been selected, what exactly are we voting on? I know SOTM is determined by other parodists. Is this for the ABC ( DE ) , wild card?, Parody of the Year or something else? I wasn't around last year so I don't really know the format.

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 4:26 pm

This is a separate contest. The entries will be found in the entry thread that i just put up and i'll put up a judging thread when it's time for that. If you have any more questions ask me and i'll answer them when I can.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 4:46 pm

This is a separate contest. The entries will be found in the entry thread that i just put up and i'll put up a judging thread when it's time for that. If you have any more questions ask me and i'll answer them when I can.

Okay, I understand a bit better now ( I think ). I saw the new thread. So we 3 chosen ones are like the American Idol judges ( I probably will be Simon Cowell as one parodist as already compared me to him ). :)

So this is just like that show where anyone can post any parody ( that is ' family oriented' ) and then we rate it out of 100?

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/08/05 at 5:27 pm

Ready and rarin' to go! Only one problem - do I have to be Randy Jackson, dogg?

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 6:21 pm

anyone can post any parody ( that is ' family oriented' ) and then we rate it out of 100?

for this round... there will be a different theme every round

There won't be any exact correlations between idle and idol judges... otherwise there will be at least 2 Simons. Just jjudge how you see fit... be as fair and interesting as you can within whatever amount of time you can devote to this.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/09/05 at 2:20 pm

Ready and rarin' to go! Only one problem - do I have to be Randy Jackson, dogg?

Tell you one thing---I AIN'T GONNA BE PAULA ABDUL!! :o

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/09/05 at 6:02 pm

PS to Agrimorfee: You listed your gender before as female, so by default you ARE PAULA ABDUL!!!!! ;D

:o

Anyway, perhaps you could encourage the entrants to include lyrics links or MIDIs if it's at all possible with their entry. Keep us posted on how/when we should vote. Thanks for the vote of confidence. This should be a lot of fun!

Written By: EthanM on 05/09/05 at 6:20 pm

i'm just hoping people will enter

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/10/05 at 1:55 pm

Tell you one thing---I AIN'T GONNA BE PAULA ABDUL!! :o

Actually, if EmiLoca is entering, I'll gladly be Paula Abdul, for reasons that should be clear...

Written By: Silver Power on 05/17/05 at 7:08 pm

Cool, I'm a runner-up! Wait...there are 2 runners up, 3 winners, and i think only 5 people applied so...wow, I feel special...lol...

Don't worry, if someones keyboard gets messed up, the computer breaks, or anything else happens to someone...the first runner up will be there. But if that happens to two people (as if it's even gonna happen to one person, lol) I'll be there.

Btw, I've been watching American Idol the whole season this season, which is pretty new. I usually only see the final show, but I've been stickin' all season. I want Bo Bice to win. I'm watching it now!

:P *Brain busts from trying to understand what Randy is saying*

Written By: Silver Power on 05/27/05 at 7:21 pm

Can I enter a parody? Are there any rules besides that they must be appropriate? I should be able to whip something up...Luckily, I don't have to SING...

I made this logo just now, use it as you wish :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/rarepetclanleader/amirightidle.png

Check for new replies or respond here...