inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright Idle 2 Entry Thread - Round 1 - Anything family friendly allowed

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 4:24 pm

Important Note #1: Deadline is extended to May 22nd
  Important Note #2: Reading and understanding the story is optional  

It is a cold, rainy day in Cheapland, USA. A crowd of people, if you can call them that, are sitting in Flan's (F) house trying to figure a way to entertain themselves now that cable service was taken away because nobody there has a job that pays enough money to pay the cable bill. The internet still works since Tubbs (T) connected some wires illegally to the network in a nearby village where the residents work. The only reason that houses have not been repossessed is because Big Mischevous (BM) keeps a pet dragon which will torchify any outsiders. The residents that SM doesn't like all that much, which include Flan, her boyfriend Pulsarjogger (PJ), a strange midget named Polestar (PS), his brother Big Whiny (BW), Coach Q (Q), Tubbs, PJ's silent friend Baton (B),  and The Village Vizier (V) all pay for protection against Bogtor the Torchifier. That's another reason why the can't pay for cable. Anyway, they are all there along with Big Angry (BA) and the Weasel (W), who are BM's partners in crime. Any resemblance to a pre-existing cartoon website is just as coincidental as the resemblance of parodies to pre-existing songs.

F: I know, we should have a sing-along
    PJ: What a brilliant idea.
     BM : Shut up, Pulsar. You're just trying to get lucky
     T : I think it's a good idea too. But no more of those hippie songs. I'm sick of those.
     BM: Yeah those are terrible. I'll write some songs that I can sing and you'll listen too.
    Q: I wanna write some hip-hop songs and and then do a hip-hop dance
     BA: Heeeeeeaaaaaaavyyyyyy Mmmmmeeeeettttttaaaallll Mmmmmmuuusssiiiiccc
     PJ: We're never going to agree on anything. How about we got other people to write the songs.
     F: Great idea, Pulsar. And I'll write the music.
     BM: No.  the weasel makes the beats.
    PJ: How about we use this new invention i made up. It's called a parody. They people writing use the music from a different song to make a new, hilarious song.
   BM: You didn't make that up.
   PJ: Oh yeah, prove it.
   F: Stop bickering. Let's vote on it.

They voted and the parody idea won. Big michevous disappeared for ten minutes and then came back.

BM: OK i made some calls and i found three people to judge which of these parodies we should sing. They go by the names of Agrimorfee, Red And, and Charlie Decker. The other two sound normal enough, but Charlie Decker? That's just ridiculous. But i checked my sources and they are all very good judges. You know, i would be a judge myself but i'm busy answering my fan mail.
   T: What's the theme of this contest going to be. You know if you're going to have a contest there ought to be a theme.
    F: Well it is Mother's Day. How about a song about how wonderful mothers are
     BM: They should  make one about how fat your mother is. Hi-fives all around. (just BA gives a high five. The weasel can't reach) 
      V: I know. How about a song about food. Mothers make food.
      PS: I'm a song that your mother would listen to. Ain't no thing like a chicken wing
       V: Yes! A song about chicken wings!
        F: I think Polestar had a great idea. We shouldn't restrict the songs too much. Just make it something clean that most mother's wouldn't object to. No dirty words and no dirty subjects.

And before anyone can argue, the cameras move away from cheapland and back to inthe00s. So there you have the theme for the first round. Anything you want as long as it's clean. I will tell you immediately if the parody is too dirty so you can try again. Voting is a simple one rating from each judge out of 100 and entries are due by May 15. The songs with the ten best scores will move on to round two. Don't be afraid to use your best stuff as it will be increasingly unlikely that you will have a song that fits the guidelines as the contest moves on. If you are serious about winning this contest, gaining the ability to parody a hip-hop song is something you should try to do since one of the later rounds will be exactly that. With no other guidelines. So start working on one now if you don't have any at the moment.

Subject: Re: Amiright Idle 2 Entry Thread

Written By: jreuben on 05/08/05 at 6:48 pm

I ran this by my Mom, she enjoyed it:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/sade4.shtml

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 9:09 pm

I ran this by my Mom, she enjoyed it:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/sade4.shtml

This is pushing the envelope a bit (and probably intentionally) but i re-read it and I don't have a problem with it.

Written By: Scathe on 05/08/05 at 9:47 pm

Here you go, Ethan.  You'll find that I don't do dirty humor.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/johnlennon8.shtml

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/05 at 10:33 pm

Well it might offend your mother if she was a campaign volunteer, but I approve this entry anyway.

Written By: Scathe on 05/08/05 at 10:54 pm

Well it might offend your mother if she was a campaign volunteer, but I approve this entry anyway.

Don't worry, Ethan.  My mom hates politics as much as I do.

Subject: Re: Amiright Idle 2 Entry Thread - Round 1 - Anything family friendly allowed

Written By: EthanM on 05/24/05 at 12:01 pm

looks like this isn't going to happen

Subject: Re: Amiright Idle 2 Entry Thread - Round 1 - Anything family friendly allowed

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/24/05 at 5:12 pm

Ethan, maybe you should make a posting that describes in detail what our American Idle is about. As creative as your opening story was, it certainly doesn't describe what people are getting into in the long-term. (I'm not even sure, and you elected me a judge!)

Written By: EthanM on 05/24/05 at 8:59 pm

Its worth a shot

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/25/05 at 10:01 am

Ethan, maybe you should make a posting that describes in detail what our American Idle is about. As creative as your opening story was, it certainly doesn't describe what people are getting into in the long-term. (I'm not even sure, and you elected me a judge!)

I'm with Agri...as amusing as your opening gambit was, I'm blowed if I know exactly what this is about...if you explain it a bit more clearly, you might get more response

Written By: YWN on 05/27/05 at 10:13 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana201.shtml

Written By: YWN on 05/27/05 at 10:14 am

I take it that my song Attack of the Squirrels is not family friendly...?

Written By: EthanM on 05/27/05 at 1:50 pm

your entry is fine i just didn't see it... i'm going to post  clearer version of the rules sometime this weekend

Written By: Silver Power on 05/27/05 at 7:24 pm

Use this logo I made as you wish:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/rarepetclanleader/amirightidle.png

Written By: EthanM on 05/27/05 at 7:25 pm

Thanks. I'll see what i can do.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/03/05 at 2:09 pm

What's up with this competition?. Is it a go? Should I make votes on this page, or on the comments for entrants? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE???? :D

Written By: EthanM on 06/03/05 at 7:41 pm

its postponed indefinitely... but someone else is free to use what i have if they choose to

Check for new replies or respond here...