inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: May SOTM Voting -- Results Tallied

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/08/05 at 10:42 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.
~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.
~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.
~~Voters are strongly encouraged to leave at least a brief comment on every parody, to prove they've at least clicked on them all. Failure to do so will not result in official consequences, but will indicate to others that you're not interested in receiving comments either.
~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

1.  It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen

2.  Smells Like Misheard Lyrics (read this) by Red Ant
                 lyrics

3.  Growmeatian Voteformee by Johnny D

4.  When I'm President by 2nz

5.  Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha by Kristof Robertson
                  Lyrics/midi

6.  It's Not A Funeral by Dumb butt Kid

7.  Up! Down! Hurl!by Stuart McArthur

8.  That's Scenery of Late, That Am by Adagio

9.  The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker

10.  No Drunks In The Park by Ethan Mawyer

11.  You Svelte, Thin Ladies by Luke Brattoni

12.  I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff.com
                    MP3

13.  Decade Police by Agrimorfee

14.  Sports Night Riot by Scathe

15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

16.  I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

17.  If Snails Had A Mailbox by Tim Mayfield

18.  She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her by Rick Cormier
                  Recording

19.  Life's Been Weird by Mikey Squirrel

20.  What is Most Antagon(izing to Me) by John Jenkins

21.  The Raving by Phil Alexander

Subject: Re: May SOTM Voting

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/08/05 at 12:38 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.
~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.
~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.
~~Voters are strongly encouraged to leave at least a brief comment on every parody, to prove they've at least clicked on them all. Failure to do so will not result in official consequences, but will indicate to others that you're not interested in receiving comments either.
~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

1.  It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen

2.  Smells Like Misheard Lyrics (read this) by Red Ant
                 lyrics

3.  Growmeatian Voteformee by Johnny D

4.  When I'm President by 2nz

5.  Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha by Kristof Robertson
                  Lyrics/midi

6.  It's Not A Funeral by Dumb butt Kid

7.  Up! Down! Hurl!by Stuart McArthur

8.  That's Scenery of Late, That Am by Adagio

9.  The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker

10.  No Drunks In The Park by Ethan Mawyer

11.  You Svelte, Thin Ladies by Luke Brattoni

12.  I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff.com
                    MP3

13.  Decade Police by Agrimorfee

14.  Sports Night Riot by Scathe

15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

16.  I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

17.  If Snails Had A Mailbox by Tim Mayfield

18.  She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her by Rick Cormier
                  Recording

19.  Life's Been Weird by Mikey Squirrel

20.  What is Most Antagon(izing to Me) by John Jenkins

21.  The Raving by Phil Alexander

Wow, first to vote?!  :o
Anyhoos, here are my five choices;

5 points to 'Up Down Hurl' by Stu McArthur

4 points to 'Growmeatian Voteforme' by Johnny D

3 points to 'Smells Like Misheard Lyrics' by Red Ant

2 points to 'No Drunks In The Park' by Ethan Mawyer

1 point to 'Decade Police' by Agrimorfee

Unfortunately, didn't know many of the original songs this month, sorry about that  :(
Still some quality songs in there, though, so good luck to everybody  :)

Written By: K1chyd on 06/09/05 at 1:09 am

Wow, first to vote?! /........../ Unfortunately, didn't know many of the original songs this month, sorry about that.

Hi DAK!

I got a thing for helping you newbies so I though I'd give a little friendly pointer here, it might help you (and others) next month if nothing else:

Being the first to vote in SOTM isn't necessarily a good thing, especially if you've stated all over the place (comments) that you DKTOS.

There's a reason for the voting period to be a full month and that's to give everyone the time (and at least the chance) to hunt down all their DKTOSs before they vote.

This competition is not just a gathering up of topic songs or minor ditties as the other comps are (to various extent), this is the one regular where master parodists and veterans like Claude, Phil, Spaff and others submit their BEST work of the month to be evaluated by a jury of peers and us aspiring to be peers one day.

Sometimes it's not possible to track down mp3s of all the submitted songs, if your internet connection is limited or slow or both, and it's OK to leave a DKTOS then, but doing it all over before voting on the first day only goes to prove that you haven't bothered to try, so why should anyone do the same for you?  ???

The rules state that played cards (votes) stays played and cannot be taken back, but for personal damage control there's still time to track down mp3s and add new comments like "I've found the OS and gave this a second look, I think it's (insert serious comment/evaluation here).

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/09/05 at 10:05 am

Hi DAK!

I got a thing for helping you newbies so I though I'd give a little friendly pointer here, it might help you (and others) next month if nothing else:

Being the first to vote in SOTM isn't necessarily a good thing, especially if you've stated all over the place (comments) that you DKTOS.

There's a reason for the voting period to be a full month and that's to give everyone the time (and at least the chance) to hunt down all their DKTOSs before they vote.

This competition is not just a gathering up of topic songs or minor ditties as the other comps are (to various extent), this is the one regular where master parodists and veterans like Claude, Phil, Spaff and others submit their BEST work of the month to be evaluated by a jury of peers and us aspiring to be peers one day.

Sometimes it's not possible to track down mp3s of all the submitted songs, if your internet connection is limited or slow or both, and it's OK to leave a DKTOS then, but doing it all over before voting on the first day only goes to prove that you haven't bothered to try, so why should anyone do the same for you?  ???

The rules state that played cards (votes) stays played and cannot be taken back, but for personal damage control there's still time to track down mp3s and add new comments like "I've found the OS and gave this a second look, I think it's (insert serious comment/evaluation here).

Thankyou for your advice, K1chyd, but unfortunately it is not possible for me to download original songs as the computer i'm using isn't just my computer, it's my mams. And the one thing i'm not allowed to do is download anything. If I did, I would be stopped from using the computer and then what would I do?
My computer also often acts up when I try to play MP3s and other files (Windows Media Player is very unreliable as it always crashes), so I try to stay away from them as much as possible.
I'm sorry for not knowing the original songs, but for the moment, there really isn't an awful lot I can do other than apologize. Perhaps the other parody authors will remember that they are voting for my parody, not my reliability, and won't mark me down for not knowing the original songs  :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/09/05 at 12:10 pm

You guys both make good points.  I feel compelled to give my take, though, which has always been that if you want to make sure people know the original song, there are a lot of ways to do it.  One way is to pick songs that will be well-known to most people around here (yes, that usually means classic rock songs; deal with it).  Another way is to provide a link to a recording, sample, or the original lyrics.  I've always felt it was the parody author's responsibility to do this if they expect people to know the original.  It should be clear by now that not everybody goes around downloading stuff.  If you want to and can, that's great, but for my songs I certainly don't expect it, although if someone provides a link I always always go listen or read or whatever.  If I don't know the original and they haven't provided it, I don't feel like I have to go find it, and I don't feel like I necessarily have to tell them I don't know it.  I do, however, feel like I owe it to them to give it a careful reading and comment on it as best I can.  So I guess that's all I expect others to do.  I'm not offended by DKTOS's (baffled, sometimes, but not offended) as long as I can tell they've read and tried to enjoy it.  This isn't law or anything, just my opinion, so if anyone disagrees it would be good to get it out in the open.  Thank you.

Written By: EthanM on 06/09/05 at 1:04 pm

I seem to get dktos's no matter what i do so I just go with what I think is best. At least it shoul;d get people to read the lyrics when they wouldn't otherwise.

Written By: Arwen on 06/09/05 at 3:14 pm

Like Claude, I don't expect people to go to extra work to find my original songs...for me, at least, parodies are most enjoyable when I already know the song...listening to it once doesn't do that much for me.  Sometimes, if I think that the lyrics are REALLY hilarious, or if I'm a little jealous because 20 people have already commented and said how great a parody is...I will try to find the original to listen to...but usually I don't have (don't make?) time to do that.

And...reading the original lyrics does NOTHING for me...(if I don't know the song at all)...as far as "getting" the parody...that could be just me, though.

Anyway...the thing that I'd like to get out on the table is the fact that just because you don't know the original song doesn't mean you can't vote for me.  I mean, come on...you know you want to.  ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/09/05 at 5:12 pm

I was all set to list my votes, but...dear God...there's at least 10 songs out of this array that deserve the Top spots and this is going to be much harder than usual!!! :o

Will get back to you later!

Written By: Ansky1213 on 06/09/05 at 5:53 pm

Agreed. I've read and commented on about 2/3rds of these, and I can say that it is quite possibly the best month ever. Heaven knows how I'm going to narrow these down.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/09/05 at 7:10 pm

You guys both make good points.  I feel compelled to give my take, though, which has always been that if you want to make sure people know the original song, there are a lot of ways to do it.  One way is to pick songs that will be well-known to most people around here (yes, that usually means classic rock songs; deal with it). 

Reading between the lines though, Claude, I think Peter was a bit baffled (to borrow your perfect word) by the fact that his "Yesterday"  parody got a DKTOS, given there's a whole thread on this site devoted to it, started by Peter, containing almost 300 (?) verses dedicated to it, and that (according to Guinness B. of R.) it's the most covered song in history. 

But Peter, I think the fact that you put "Yesterday 7" as your OS instead of "Yesterday" may have contributed to the misunderstanding.....like Revolution #9 is different to Revolution - so I can understand why DAK would have assumed he didn't know it.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/09/05 at 9:26 pm

Well, I have reviewed all 21 of these carefully, much more so than the last round. Fewer DKTOS this time around. Got a top 10 then getting down to 5 was nearly impossible ( contemplated rolling dice but...). Anyways, here are my picks for SOTM:

5pts: #11, You Svelte, Thin Ladies by Luke Brattoni

4pts: #15, I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

3pts: #07, Up! Down! Hurl! by Stuart McArthur

2pts: #16,  I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

1pt:   #12,  I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff.com

Comments left on all parodies in detail, so don't feel slighted if you're not in my top 5. You'll probably be in someone elses.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/10/05 at 1:49 am

Reading between the lines though, Claude, I think Peter was a bit baffled (to borrow your perfect word) by the fact that his "Yesterday"  parody got a DKTOS, given there's a whole thread on this site devoted to it, started by Peter, containing almost 300 (?) verses dedicated to it, and that (according to Guinness B. of R.) it's the most covered song in history. 

But Peter, I think the fact that you put "Yesterday 7" as your OS instead of "Yesterday" may have contributed to the misunderstanding.....like Revolution #9 is different to Revolution - so I can understand why DAK would have assumed he didn't know it.

Maybe I was a little baffled over that it came in SOTM, but I've gotten DKTOS on Yesterday parodies before and I expect I will again so no biggie. And as you point out, putting it "Yesterday x 7" might have been misleading.

No, the thing between the lines here (I was gonna leave this between me and DAK's guilty feelings but now I feel I have to add it to the discussion/debate) was that he posted ALL his SOTM comments over a period of less than 15 minutes, some of them within 20 seconds of each other. It's still visible on the latest comments thread, June 8th, around 1:30, plus-minus 5 minutes.

OK, comments can sometimes look to come close to each other thanks to the twit control if you comment on something else while waiting for the 5 minute window on the previous one to pass, and me I sometimes like to think up a good pun for the comment so I ponder about it in the back of my head while reading the next parody, hence making two close comments if the comment on that next one comes easy.

But dotting down 20 SOTM evaluations, mostly DKTOSs, in 20-30 second intervalls really doesn't imply anything else than a minuscule effort to even read the lyrics, does it?

Written By: tmayfield on 06/10/05 at 3:17 am

Looks can be deceiving.  I, for instance, read all of the parodies before I go back and comment on any of them...  Just my method.  My voting and commenting are totally separated and looking at my comment times won't clue the reader into anything that goes on behind the scenes.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/10/05 at 5:45 am

Looks can be deceiving.  I, for instance, read all of the parodies before I go back and comment on any of them...  Just my method.  My voting and commenting are totally separated and looking at my comment times won't clue the reader into anything that goes on behind the scenes.

Tim, I'm not checking up on those of you I've come to trust, but I am checking up a little on the SOTM Newbies to see if evaluating them back more than required is worth the time when I DKTOS.

I've taken the possibility you mention into account too and in your case I'll say that a big clue is that YOU normally leave comments where you quote fav lines and/or make a spin on someone elses comment etc, proving that you've read and are playing along with Claude's axiom (stated in the first paragraph of the rules every month)  that this primarily is a "feedback exchange".

Besides that you're probably not the only one, I did notice earlier when I first got the idea that some others, including the Spaffmeister, likes to come out of the woodworks that way on the last day/days, so you're in VERY good company.  ;)  ;)  ;)

Written By: tmayfield on 06/10/05 at 10:54 am

...  that this primarily is a "feedback exchange"....

Yeah, I've noticed the only people who don't like feedback are guitarists...

Written By: Ansky1213 on 06/10/05 at 11:25 am

I can say that this has been the toughest SOTM that I've ever been a part of by far. When I went to narrow it down to five, I came up with more like twelve that screamed 'certain top 5.' But I am ready now, so here goes nothing...

5 points to "When I'm President" by 2nZ. This is everything a parody should be; catchy, perfectly paced and hilarious.
4 points to "Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha" by Kristof. Also everything that a parody should be, from IMHO the hottest (as in 'on a roll') writer in the game right now.
3 points to "You svelte, Thin Ladies" by Luke, the kid who makes me want to give up writing rap parodies forever with each and every one of his.
2 points to "Growmeatian Voteformee" by Johnny D, the veteran who just keeps raising the bar on himself.
1 point to "I Hereby Announce My Candidacy" by K1chyd, yet another remarkable entry to the International Amiright government.

This is really one of those months where I wish I had at least 10 votes, as there were a few more that it truly pained me to have to leave out. I think we need to hire some bad parody writers to enter into SOTM so that it will no longer be the case that every song submitted is worthy of victory.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/10/05 at 12:26 pm

No, the thing between the lines here (I was gonna leave this between me and DAK's guilty feelings but now I feel I have to add it to the discussion/debate) was that he posted ALL his SOTM comments over a period of less than 15 minutes, some of them within 20 seconds of each other. It's still visible on the latest comments thread, June 8th, around 1:30, plus-minus 5 minutes.

I have to admit, I wasn't even aware all his comments were that close together.  I'd definitely give someone the benefit of a doubt, but if it were me, I'd at least come out and tell everyone I read them all first, then commented.  You  know, so no one would think I didn't read them carefully.  I should mention that I fully support anyone getting their voting done in a timely manner instead of procrastinating like SOME people (that would be me) usually do.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/10/05 at 1:47 pm

To add my two cents to what Tim said --- like Tim, my initial contact with a parody and my subsequent voting and/or commenting tend to be separate in time from each other.  When I'm ready to post my comments and/or votes, I will do so, sometimes long after my initial contact with a given parody, sometimes less than a minute after...but always after I've had enough time to form what I personally consider to be a fair opinion.    :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/11/05 at 6:58 pm

Since PeterCHYD Paul Robinsoned me, here's my take.

I'd like to spend much more time commenting on Amiright parodies in general, but life usually doesn't cut me that much slack. I figure, however, that the authors that enter the SOTM are the ones who are most interested in feedback, and the parodies they enter are the ones they most want feedback about. So I do my gosh-darnedest to study every SOTM entry and leave a comment that indicates I cared. I usually look at the entries a few times during the month before making my voting decisions. If I DKTOS I will try to find an MP3 of the original. If I can't find the MP3 I will try to find the lyrics.

It's time-consuming, but I hope that the time and effort I put into evaluating SOTM entries helps make up for all the other parodies I *don't* get to during the month.

By the way, I never intentionally wait till the end of the month to post my votes. Often that's just how it turns out (despite my telling myself every month I'll get it done earlier).

I'm not suggesting that my method is the best method. Just really, you know, blabbing.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/12/05 at 12:26 am

I'd like to spend much more time commenting on Amiright parodies in general, but life usually doesn't cut me that much slack. I figure, however, that the authors that enter the SOTM are the ones who are most interested in feedback, and the parodies they enter are the ones they most want feedback about. So I do my gosh-darnedest to study every SOTM entry and leave a comment that indicates I cared. I usually look at the entries a few times during the month before making my voting decisions. If I DKTOS I will try to find an MP3 of the original. If I can't find the MP3 I will try to find the lyrics.

It's time-consuming, but I hope that the time and effort I put into evaluating SOTM entries helps make up for all the other parodies I *don't* get to during the month.

By the way, I never intentionally wait till the end of the month to post my votes. Often that's just how it turns out (despite my telling myself every month I'll get it done earlier).

I'm not suggesting that my method is the best method. Just really, you know, blabbing.

xoxox
Spaff

You moron.  You could leave half-assed comments on hundreds of parodies per month in the time you spend meticulously pondering and leaving thoughtful comments on a couple dozen contest entries.  It would raise your profile considerably, you might even make the top secret top ten list.

Written By: MooRocca on 06/12/05 at 5:17 am

You moron.  You could leave half-assed comments on hundreds of parodies per month in the time you spend meticulously pondering and leaving thoughtful comments on a couple dozen contest entries.  It would raise your profile considerably, you might even make the top secret top ten list.

Pssst... Spaff.  Don't buy it, man.  I fell for that one once.  It's a trick to get you to trade in your life for sitting at the screen typing "nice job" all day... turns you into a complacent little typing monkey and the next thing you know, you're locked in a room full of other monkeys, chained to a desk, churning out parodies, wondering how you got there. 

;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/12/05 at 9:56 am

Pssst... Spaff.  Don't buy it, man.  I fell for that one once.  It's a trick to get you to trade in your life for sitting at the screen typing "nice job" all day...

;D

LOL, MooRocca - but of course if those bazillion extra monkey hours get you one single extra "nice job" in return, it will all have been worth it ;)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/12/05 at 9:40 pm

Hello there in parodyland! I've been reading all the submissions for SOTM and I can safely say it looks like I have some heavy competion!  :-\\ But thats OK... This is my first time in the fold of the SOTM contest and I guess you can say I'm just happy to be along for the wacky ride. :D And apparently I'm a slave to the power of smileyfaces! :o
Anyways, I've read all the submissions for the May parody slugfest and, yes even for some of them I DKTOS (which since I never saw a formal tutorial for this site, I assume means 'Don't Know The Original Song'--duh!) I can see why it can be a hotbed of debate. It's hard to judge the pacing if the actual song if you're not sure how the OS goes. For me, I know pretty much all the originals and the others I can easily get.
As for leaving the comments, I will be leaving insightful (ha) comments for everyone and I will take my time carefully deciding my votes. I know I haven't left any comments for anyone yet, but I plan to get to as many as I can because I do appreciate the feedback I get for my absurdity. It's only fair I share my thoughts with all of you.
I will have my votes posted really soon and I thank you for your patience with the newbie. And good luck to you all.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/13/05 at 3:55 am

I never saw a formal tutorial for this site, I assume   means 'Don't Know The Original Song'--duh!)

There is an unofficial tutorial, and approved by ChuckyG I am its unofficial moderator, therein you will find the answers to everything you ever wanted to know about AmIright (except for how to use parody writing as a means to get groupies and laid so much that you have to postpone your SOTM voting. You have to ask Spaff that in private).  ;)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,10012.0.html

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/05 at 10:16 am

It took some soul-searching, but I made my decisions based primarily on originality of song choice and ideas...here we go

5pts=Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff (a fine performance, good enough for Dr. D, it's a winner for me, too!)
4pts=When I'm President by 2nz
3pts=It's My Part by Arwen
2pts=She's Sick of Me by Rick C.
1pt=Hello Allah by Kristof

An astounding month, y'all!

Written By: Scathe on 06/15/05 at 3:05 pm

When I'm President by 2nz - 1 point

It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen - 2 points

No Drunks In The Park by Ethan Mawyer - 3 points

I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben - 4 points

It's Not A Funeral by Dumb butt Kid - 5 points

Written By: EthanM on 06/15/05 at 4:25 pm

When I'm President by 2nz - 1 point

It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen - 2 points

No Drunks In The Park by Ethan Mawyer - 3 points

I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben - 4 points

It's Not A Funeral by Dumb butt Kid - 5 points

Just checking, since points are usually given from 5 to one, are you giving 2nz or DAK top honors with this one.

And in case anyone is wondering, I do plan on voting and commenting eventually... probably around the same time as spaff

Written By: adagio on 06/15/05 at 10:42 pm

Whoah...really tough round!  :o :o , but I managed by lots of carving to narrow it down to 5 (I need at least 10).

5 points #21 Phil A.

4 points #18 Rick C.

3 points  #12 Spaff

2 points  #17 Tim M.

1 point  #5 Kristof

Really good round!

Written By: Arwen on 06/15/05 at 11:50 pm

Just checking, since points are usually given from 5 to one, are you giving 2nz or DAK top honors with this one.

And in case anyone is wondering, I do plan on voting and commenting eventually... probably around the same time as spaff

He's listed right after the title the points he's awarded each parody.  Scathe always goes 12345.

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/18/05 at 8:15 pm

I do plan on voting and commenting eventually... probably around the same time as spaff

Slacker!

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/21/05 at 8:14 am

Tough month again...but you all already know that.....

5pts: #9: Charlie's Prom Night problems
4pts: #18: Rick's relationship problems
3 pts: #7: Stu's gastro-intestinal problems
2pts: #4: Tim's postal problems
1pt: #17: 2nz's platform...no problems!

:D :D :D :D :D

Written By: philbo on 06/21/05 at 3:26 pm

I have to say that this wasn't the best month so far... my first winnowing took me down to only nine songs... :p

As one lunatic self-publicist once said to a rabid tyrant... "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability"... five points to K1chyd's yesterday marathon.

5 points - #15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd
4 points - # 5.  Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha by Kristof Robertson
3 points - # 4.  When I'm President by 2nz
2 points - # 7.  Up! Down! Hurl!by Stuart McArthur
1 point  - #18.  She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her by Rick Cormier

I've been through and read 'em all... will try and get round to writing some comments asap, but time is kind of pressing and I didn't want to miss the deadline.

Written By: tmayfield on 06/21/05 at 7:55 pm

Tough month again...but you all already know that.....

5pts: #9: Charlie's Prom Night problems
4pts: #18: Rick's relationship problems
3 pts: #7: Stu's gastro-intestinal problems
2pts: #4: Tim's postal problems
1pt: #17: 2nz's platform...no problems!

:D :D :D :D :D

Umm, 2nz and I got mixed up Kristof...  I had #17 and 2nz had #4.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/22/05 at 3:20 am

Umm, 2nz and I got mixed up Kristof...  I had #17 and 2nz had #4.

My bad....Just to clarify; 2pts to Tim and 1 pt to 2nz, irrespective of the numbers I gave them

Written By: K1chyd on 06/22/05 at 2:05 pm

As one lunatic self-publicist once said to a rabid tyrant... "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability"... five points to K1chyd's yesterday marathon.

5 points - #15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

Thanx Phil! A marathon only takes a couple of hours though, this song was in my head, and in the works, THE WHOLE freckling month...  :)

Written By: John Jenkins on 06/22/05 at 2:45 pm

Thanx Phil! A marathon only takes a couple of hours though, this song was in my head, and in the works, THE WHOLE freckling month...  :)

Since the world record is 2 hours and 5 minutes, if you are running marathons in "a couple of hours," that is quite an accomplishment.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/22/05 at 2:51 pm

Since the world record is 2 hours and 5 minutes, if you are running marathons in "a couple of hours," that is quite an accomplishment.

MarathonS!

I think I'll settle for one at a time...  :o

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/25/05 at 1:26 am

Wow, these monthly expos just get better and better.

5 points: #15 - I Hereby Announce My Candidacy
4 points: #21 - The Raving
3 points: #4 - When I'm President
2 points: #18 - She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her
1 point: #16 - I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Rick Cormier on 06/26/05 at 6:03 pm

Another tough round. Here are my votes:

5 pts. #7... Stuart's Amuzing Park Adventures
4 pts. #4... 2nz's Presidential Plea
3 pts. #17. Tim's Mailbox
2 pts. #21. Phil's Raving
1 pt.  #9... Charlie's Prom Night

Written By: John Jenkins on 06/26/05 at 10:46 pm

5 points – 12. I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff.com

4 points - 15. I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

3 points - 1.  It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen

2 points - 21.  The Raving by Phil Alexander

1 point -  4.  When I'm President by 2nz

I kept trying to determine how many points to award to Claude Prez until I realized he didn't enter this month.  There must be a strategy on his part ... like getting Spaff (and the rest of us) overconfident and then coming up with a killer parody for June or July.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/28/05 at 1:25 am

5 points for #9.  The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker

4 points for #15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

3 points for #19.  Life's Been Weird by Mikey Squirrel

2 points for #1.  It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen

1 point for #16.  I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

Written By: K1chyd on 06/28/05 at 2:58 pm

5 Points: Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha by Kristof Robertson.
Let me put it this way, my theme was promising everything to everyone, yours was to test everything from everyone who ever promised everything and beyond. How could I not relate? Besides, it was darn funny.

4 Points: I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff.com.
You’ve done it again, taken a hot current topic, added something unexpected, twisted it like pool boy heads on Wisteria Lane (yes, we too have that show now) and come through with force. I hope you get that top 5 position on the Dr Demento chart.

3 Points: No Drunks In The Park by Ethan Mawyer.
Been there, done that, failed as badly to hold ‘em off. (Not in a park, but close enough).

2 Points: It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen.
But… I’ll come and give these two points to you. They are well deserved but it feels extra good to give ‘em since I’ll now let you know that you’ve been my very last cut for the final point twice this year already.

1 Point: Life's Been Weird by Mikey Squirrel.
Here’s where it became REALLY hard, as always, with a shortlist of still more than 5 that I wanted to go on the final list with the 4 above, including Phil’s poetry parody, but then it struck me that except for the colour in the colouring of the hamster (my favourite colour is yellow, so I would have gone with that) this parody is actually a channelling of one of my favourite dreams. :-)

And for Johnny D and Luke Brattoni: No points this time but I found personal inspiration in both of your parodies and now have my own parodies about Arnold and thin, glamourous women coming up soon, I just gotta grow them a little, little more before posting. :-)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/28/05 at 10:53 pm

Okay here I go. I've read over again all entries and I have no idea how you all manage to do this every month. I must say I really enjoy being a part of this SOTM thing and I hope you can all.. well, think of me as part of your.. sniff.. family..  :\'(

Yea, that's me. Crazy Uncle Squirrel. Anyways, my first voting... (trumpets blare)

5pts-- #12- I Got Crabs From Darth Vader by Spaff
4pts--  #9- The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker
3pts--  #1- It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen
2pts-- #16- I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
1pt--   #2- Smells Like Misheard Lyrics by Red Ant

Again, this was tough. You're all so good. Thanks again for letting me part of this wackiness, and good luck to you all. Me and my green hamster are gonna watch Hot Shots now.

Written By: Arwen on 06/28/05 at 11:36 pm

Once again, I had WAY more than 5 finalists...and wanted to give 5 points to about half of them...argh!!

Anyway...

5 points for Jeff Reuben
4 points for 2nz
3 points for Spaff
2 points for Charlie
1 point for Red Ant

This really was an excellent month... (don't I say that every month?)  Great job to all!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/29/05 at 10:04 am

okay, I'm bending the rules this month - I'm voting for 8 parodies......

* answers ringing phone *

hello, Stu McArthur, Australia
......uh huh
......uh huh
......uh huh
......okay, sorry Claude

* hangs up *

so, 5 it is then

5 points     #3.     Growmeatian Voteformee             Johnny D
4 points     #5.     Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha           Kristof Robertson
3 points     #12.   I Got Crabs From Darth Vader        Spaff.com
2 points     #18.   She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her     Rick Cormier
1 point      #15.   I Hereby Announce My Candidacy   Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

sorry, Luke, Jeff and 2nz ??? -  blame Claude, fellers

Written By: jreuben on 06/30/05 at 11:40 am

Very tough month, after my first pass, I was able to narrow it down to 20 finalists.  After much painstaking work:

5 pts:  #5 Kristof Robertson
4 pts:  #12 Spaff
3 pts:  #14 Scathe
2 pts:  #1 Arwen
1 pt:  #7 Stu McArthur

Written By: tmayfield on 06/30/05 at 2:33 pm

This was the easiest one ever!!  -tosses quarter -
  Oops, I mean this was the sort of easy! -rolls dice -
    Would you believe it was mediumly hard?  -sound of dart breaking window -

...At least I stopped before I used russian roulette to choose my final five...

5 pts - #12 - I Got Crabs from Darth Vader - Spaff.com
4 pts -  #5 - Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha - Kristof Robertson
3 pts - #18 - She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her - Rick Cormier
2 pts - #21 - The Raving - Phil Alexander
1 pts -  #1 - It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) - Arwen

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/01/05 at 12:03 am

Sheesh mageesh, this was like picking favourite children... it came down to assessing the symmetry of your freckles.

5 points to #5. Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha by Kristof Robertson
4 points to #21. The Raving by Phil Alexander
3 points to #15. I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd
2 points to #18.  She's Sick of Me, I'm Sick of Her by Rick Cormier
1 point to #9. The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker

*glancing back at the pile of beheaded children*
Oh wait, that one just had a smudge on their cheek...

Highly entertaining round, all.

Written By: 2nz on 07/01/05 at 1:18 am

I'm possibly out of line here, but I would like to respectfully request that the dead-line for voting this month be extended by one day. I know this is probably only self-serving and if it is not possible, I will understand and accept the penalties for not voting on time. I usually vote at the end of the month, partially because I like to take my time reading all the entries and mostly because I'm lazy and horrible at planning. I could relay to you now the public transportation story that prevented me from voting this past night, but I'm exhausted from just that ordeal right now and currently can barely type this message. I think that's all. Good night, and I respectfully await management's decision.

Written By: K1chyd on 07/01/05 at 3:42 am

I'm possibly out of line here, but I would like to respectfully request that the dead-line for voting this month be extended by one day. I know this is probably only self-serving and if it is not possible, I will understand and accept the penalties for not voting on time. I usually vote at the end of the month, partially because I like to take my time reading all the entries and mostly because I'm lazy and horrible at planning. I could relay to you now the public transportation story that prevented me from voting this past night, but I'm exhausted from just that ordeal right now and currently can barely type this message. I think that's all. Good night, and I respectfully await management's decision.

Aaaarrgh! The suspense is killing me! I have a shot at my first ever SOTM medal here and you...  ;)

Well, I supported Spaff's request for a day (or was it two) when he and Tim was late the other month and I'll do the same now, though that is still just one man's voice in the matter.

Ethan Mayer wasn't on the same public transportation by any chance?  ???

Written By: EthanM on 07/01/05 at 6:38 am

Tough month: sorry about the lateness as lack of comments

5 points to 2nz
4 points to charlie
3 points to kristof
2 points to Phil
1 point for Luke

honorable mentions to jjust about everyone else, especially jeff and spaff and johnny D and Rick C and Arwen and... you get the point

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/01/05 at 6:58 am

No problem

Written By: 2nz on 07/01/05 at 2:02 pm

Great, now I owe 5 votes and 15 apologies  :P. And here are the 5 votes:

5 points: #15.  I Hereby Announce My Candidacy by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd

4 points: #9.  The Wreck Of The Prom Night Of Charlie by Charlie Decker

3 points: #1.  It's My Part (He Went and Gave it to Dumb Sue) by Arwen

2 points: #16.  I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

1 point: #11.  You Svelte, Thin Ladies by Luke Brattoni

Great month you all. Still some more comments to get to, but I didn't forget anyone. Great work all around.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/01/05 at 10:45 pm

First Place:  "I Got Crabs From Darth Vader" by Spaff.com -- 38 points

Second Place:   "Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha" by Kristof Robertson -- 36 points

Third Place:  "I Hereby Announce My Candidacy"  by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd -- 32 points

2nz 31
Charlie Decker 26
Arwen 21
Phil Alexander 21
Rick Cormier 20
Stu McArthur 19
Jeff Reuben 17
Johnny D 11
Luke Brattoni 10
Ethan Mawyer 8
Tim Mayfield 7
Dumb *ss Kid 5
Red Ant 5
Mikey Squirrel 4
Scathe 3
Agrimorfee 1

One of our tightest finishes ever; congratulations all and thank you for all voting.

Subject: Re: May SOTM Voting -- Results Tallied

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/01/05 at 11:10 pm

Well done, you three. Great suspense!

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/01/05 at 11:29 pm

Congratulations to Spaff and Peter and 2nz!

Medals will be forthcoming soon.    :)

Written By: K1chyd on 07/02/05 at 12:11 am

As much as I'm enjoying to see my name on that list - it's really a psychological counterweight to turning 40 and starting to feel old the same month - I'm still not sure I'm really there. I did some counting yesterday morning (no work this week and nothing better to do as it's been raining every day 'cept one) and I had Kristof down for 33 already then. So unless the mistake is on my part he should be the one with 36 now. I think I got 31, which should place me in a tie with 2nz, but I counted rather quick really, you know, dotting down lines after the names so if someone who's not partial here could check it out...

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/02/05 at 5:25 am

Congratulations to Spaff, Peter and 2nz! Excellent round!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/02/05 at 7:31 am

As much as I'm enjoying to see my name on that list - it's really a psychological counterweight to turning 40 and starting to feel old the same month - I'm still not sure I'm really there. I did some counting yesterday morning (no work this week and nothing better to do as it's been raining every day 'cept one) and I had Kristof down for 33 already then. So unless the mistake is on my part he should be the one with 36 now. I think I got 31, which should place me in a tie with 2nz, but I counted rather quick really, you know, dotting down lines after the names so if someone who's not partial here could check it out...

You would think that for one of our "tightest races ever" I'd make sure to double-check.  I didn't, and I apologize.  I must have given you four of Kristof's points.  He has 36, you have 32, and 2nz still has 31, bumping him to 4th and you to 3rd.  I also gave Jeff Reuben a few extra points somehow; he actually has 17.  Again, I apologize sincerely.

Written By: adagio on 07/02/05 at 7:57 am

Congratulations everyone...they were extra good this month.  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 07/02/05 at 9:39 am

Congratulations, another great round.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/02/05 at 11:24 am

I must have given you four of Kristof's points.  He has 36, you have 32, and 2nz still has 31, bumping him to 4th and you to 3rd. 

I kinda feel guilty, now...sorry, Peter and Glen!  :-[ Oh well...as president, Glen can just raise my taxes, or lock me up in Guantanamo Bay...and Peter's already had his revenge, via IKEA and ABBA...

Congrats to Darth Spaffster, who was always a shoe-in this month with his SW meets STD romp

Peter: I'm such a proud svengali! Seriously good stuff, man..congrats on the medal- I'm sure it won't be the last, you've got to get the set!!

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 07/02/05 at 11:50 am

Congratulations to Spaff, Kristof and K1chyd. It was indeed a tough month. I guess ending up with only 4 points total would be awfully discouraging, but instead of crying like a baby squirrel, I will pick myself up, dust off and keep trying. Congrats to all entrants and I will see you on the battlefield for June.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/02/05 at 12:37 pm

Congratulations Mighty Spaff, Overlord Kristof (quelling a revolt from within your party) and the SK1ndinavian

- so sad about Claude's new rule rendering you all ineligible next month, but....that's life I guess :-\\

Written By: K1chyd on 07/02/05 at 1:28 pm

You would think that for one of our "tightest races ever" I'd make sure to double-check.  I didn't, and I apologize.  I must have given you four of Kristof's points.  He has 36, you have 32, and 2nz still has 31, bumping him to 4th and you to 3rd.  I also gave Jeff Reuben a few extra points somehow; he actually has 17.  Again, I apologize sincerely.

Well, my preliminary counting yesterday morning wasn’t perfect either it seems, since I apparently missed a 1 point vote intended for myself, but I’ll blame the One Guy phenomenon that leads to just shaking of 1s for that!  8)

So you’re in good company. (Assuming I’m good company).  :P

However, I do feel a bit bad about taking 3rd place away from 2nz of all people, I mean 2nz, looking back now I can see that you were the one that came in with the last 5 points that took me up in front of you! And furthermore I had your parody in 6th place, hadn’t I cut that one as the very last one we’d have that tie anyway.

You’re really one of my favourite writers here, remember that I voted for your “The reasons why women need men” as numbero uno in SOTY 2004? Hopefully that’ll make up for any bad thoughts you might have about me right now.

I kinda feel guilty, now...sorry, Peter and Glen!  :-
Peter: I'm such a proud svengali! Seriously good stuff, man..congrats on the medal- I'm sure it won't be the last, you've got to get the set!!

That’s right, I almost forgot that, you’re the one that caused me to lift my game like this, you’re the one that 2nz should be aiming his sniper rifle at. *hint, hint*.

Congratulations to Spaff, Kristof and K1chyd. It was indeed a tough month. I guess ending up with only 4 points total would be awfully discouraging, but instead of crying like a baby squirrel, I will pick myself up, dust off and keep trying. Congrats to all entrants and I will see you on the battlefield for June.

Judging from your current picture, you certainly have the balls for it…  ;)

Congratulations Mighty Spaff, Overlord Kristof (quelling a revolt from within your party) and the SK1ndinavian

- so sad about Claude's new rule rendering you all ineligible next month, but....that's life I guess :-\\

You mean the gerrymandering (another word I learnt while researching my theme) into an Australian group, a Scandinavian group, and a group for the rest of the world, so that only three people goes through to the final where they are all guaranteed a medal each?  :D

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/02/05 at 1:30 pm

Wow. I'm honored and surprised. Thank you, Academy.

Not that I'm counting or anything, but this is the third month in a row that the winner has been determined by under five points. Also, this month there were eleven - count 'em, ELEVEN - entries that got first place votes. That indicates just how much high-quality stuff there is on Amiright, and how lucky I am to have placed. Kudos again to Claude Prez for kicking off the SOTM, which has obviously raised the bar by spurring the drivers to bring their A-game to the table (and any other sports metaphor you can throw into the mix).

Speaking of Claude, we all know that this month's results would have been different had he been in the contest. I'm bummed that we're also facing a June SOTM without him. GET BACK HERE, CLAUDE. Johnny D's waiting for ya. Wearing his high-heel shoes and his low-neck sweater.

Congratulations to Overlord Kristof for yet another brilliant parody in his now staggering list of brilliant parodies, and to PeterCHYD for a work that made me laugh more than any other in recent memory.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: 2nz on 07/02/05 at 3:03 pm

Claude, no sweat man, seriously. Aside from being the true 'Prez'-elect, you're the one doing all the damm work. That earns you a continuous thank you in my book. Tough noogies for me, but I'm a tough guy, I can take it. I get to be second-most-manly-man in the tournament, next to Johnny D with his keg-can of Man-Gro in hand. When you gonna join the fray again, anyway?

However, I do feel a bit bad about taking 3rd place away from 2nz of all people, I mean 2nz, looking back now I can see that you were the one that came in with the last 5 points that took me up in front of you! And furthermore I had your parody in 6th place, hadn’t I cut that one as the very last one we’d have that tie anyway.

Stop blowing smoke up my anus, Peter. You'll ruin my autopsy  :P ;D. This is your moment in the spotlight. You told them to vote for you, and so they did. I heard two guys came out of nowhere to get first and second, Kristy-something and Spork.clam or whatever. Never heard of 'em. Probably one-hit-wonders anyway. This is your moment, Peter. You deserve it. And congratulations everyone on a great and eventful month that resulted in the closest and most over-counted tournament yet. See you next time around.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/03/05 at 11:50 pm

Sheesh, this is awkward but, ah, 2nz... I need that kudos back.
Have to give it to someone else now, you know. No hard feelings?
;)

Written By: Scathe on 07/04/05 at 12:03 am

Congrats to the winners,  thanks to everyone who read my spoof, and thanks Jeff Reuben for my only 3 points.  :)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/06/05 at 3:44 pm

Sorry i'm a bit late but a big congratulations to everybody, and a special thankyou from myself goes to Scathe for those 5 points...  :)

Written By: PRobinson on 07/11/05 at 1:59 pm

xoxox
Spaff

Gosh, I just LOVE finding myself mentioned in threads, even when I'm not involved in that particular one...  ;)

Thanks, Spaffy

PAR  8)

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/06/05 at 9:59 pm

Medals have been posted!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...