inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC-2005 Round H Voting Thread--Results Posted

Written By: jreuben on 06/20/05 at 7:47 am

Voting ends Tuesday, July 5th

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.
Or in other terms, p = (6p - rank)
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.
~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Anyone who's participated in an ABC contest may vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the voting period is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter.
~~Voters must leave a brief comment on every parody, indicating they've read it for the ABC contest
(something like, "SOTM--555" or "That was awful, Luke--111" or "Luke, why did you ignore my stupid question last round?")

1:  Charlie Decker:  Have You Seen Dick Cheney, Baby? (Undisclosed Location)

2:  Stu McArthur:  He's A Metrosexual!

3:  MooRocca:  Hot Tubbin' to Hot Blooded by Foreigner
Copy of the Original

4:  Luke Brattoni:  Hittin' on EmiLoca

5:  Red Ant:  Honesty

6:  Rick Cormier Hips Widen Away

7:  Kristof Robertson:  Hubby's Old, Zeta Jones

8:  Agrimorfee:  Hey Yo! (OS lyrics here: http://www.tophitsonline.com/lyrics.php?songid=2617)

9:  Adagio:  Heights of Flight That's When/Late Delusion

10:  Scathe:  Home In My Range

11:  Arwen:  Hey, When I Wanna

12:  MysteryGoat:  "How Am I Supposed To Eat Without A Fork"

13:  MarthaDtox:  Hackin Queen

14:  Johnny D:  Hay Chewed

15:  Jeff Reuben:  Hypnotize

16:  2nz:  Hogwarts Rhapsody

17:  Ethan Mawyer:  Hotel Jelly Donut

18:  Dee Range:  Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis

Subject: Re: ABC-2005 Round H Voting Thread

Written By: adagio on 06/20/05 at 9:26 am

Jeff, on my (Adagio's) title, could you make that "Height of Flight That's When/ Late Delusion" instead of  Heights of Fliehg That's When/Late Delusion?

Written By: jreuben on 06/20/05 at 9:42 am

Jeff, on my (Adagio's) title, could you make that "Height of Flight That's When/ Late Delusion" instead of  Heights of Fliehg That's When/Late Delusion?

Ugh...that wasn't even very close, sorry about that.  Perils of posting before coffee, it's fixed now.

Written By: adagio on 06/20/05 at 1:20 pm

Hehe, thanks, Jeff.  That's why I have a 'wanted' poster out for coffee on my avatar.  ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/20/05 at 6:14 pm

Um, not a great start here for me. I vote-wiped Ethan's and MysteryGoat's entries ( and several DKTOS to track down ). Are there any others I need be aware of before I continue?

Written By: MysteryGoat on 06/20/05 at 6:31 pm

Are there any others I need be aware of before I continue?

No worries bloke. (sorry just had an urge to type it) Basicly any song with error occured next to place your vote. A mishap when Chucky hit the wrong button. I call it "the great tally wipe of '04(?)". All it really did was wipe out the voting totals, you could even still see the individual tallys. The only bad part about it is once someone voted afterwards, all previous scores were deleted. So no need to pee about dude, it wasn't your fault, it was Chucky's.  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 06/20/05 at 6:42 pm

Well, the comments are more important anyway ( to me ). It's just that Ethan's had a comment YESTERDAY indicating someone 555d it, and when I voted it wiped out~16 votes.

I re-read the authors list and apparently some earlier parodies were not affected by this loss, which is what is confusing I suppose.

As for peeing about it, nope. If it wasn't me, it would have been someone else to do it, and as you said the votes were already wiped but still showed up when you clicked on the parody.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/20/05 at 8:04 pm

No worries bloke. (sorry just had an urge to type it) Basicly any song with error occured next to place your vote. A mishap when Chucky hit the wrong button. I call it "the great tally wipe of '04(?)". All it really did was wipe out the voting totals, you could even still see the individual tallys. The only bad part about it is once someone voted afterwards, all previous scores were deleted. So no need to pee about dude, it wasn't your fault, it was Chucky's.  ;D

ah, thanks for the explanation, MG. 

I didn't know that bit about the first vote after the Great Vote WipeOut being the agent that wipes the slate. 

Like Red Ant, it would have freaked me out too if I'd clicked once, and all of somebody's votes suddenly vanished.

also, "bloke" ???  - some aussie connexion MG?

Written By: MysteryGoat on 06/21/05 at 1:18 am

also, "bloke" ???   - some aussie connexion MG?

Actually after I read Ants troubles that was the first thing that came to mind.  ???  But I have to say, I am a big fan of the aussies, especially the women, gotta love that accent.  ;D

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/21/05 at 1:52 am

*adopts accent of Sue-Anne from play "Gary's House"*

"Darl, I'm headin' off to the waterin' hole wiff Cheryl, Sheila and Charrrleeeeen. D'ya want some smokes while I'm out?"
"Yep."
"Awww crikey, Bruce, you're gettin' ya flamin' grog all over the verandah, ya galah!"

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/22/05 at 7:57 am

5pts=Johnny D

4pts=2nz

3pts=Stu

2pts=Dee Range

1pt=Luke (i usually don't highly regard amiright-centric parodies, but this one deserves special mention for all of the public commentary it inspired!)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/22/05 at 5:49 pm

Here we go:

5 points to #3    Hot Tubbin' 
4 points to #18  Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis 
3 points to #6    Hips Widen Away 
2 points to #2    He's A Metrosexual 
1 point to  #7    Heights of Flight That's When/Late Delusion 

Honorable mentions to all, but especially to MysteryGoat.

Written By: adagio on 06/22/05 at 8:07 pm

5 points to #14 Johnny D.

4 points to #7 Kristof

3 points to #6 Rick C.

2 points to #5 Red Ant

1 point to #17 Ethan

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/28/05 at 1:59 am

5 points for #2:  Stu McArthur:  He's A Metrosexual!

4 points for #6:  Rick Cormier Hips Widen Away

3 points for #3:  MooRocca:  Hot Tubbin' to Hot Blooded by Foreigner

2 points for #9:  Adagio:  Heights of Flight That's When/Late Delusion

1 point for #4:  Luke Brattoni:  Hittin' on EmiLoca

Written By: Arwen on 06/28/05 at 9:00 am

Voting ends Tuesday, July 3th

Um...July 3rd is Sunday, Mr. Reuben.

So...since I'm leaving town on Thursday and won't be back until Monday...I need to know...do I have until Sunday the 3rd, (in which case I'll have to vote before I leave) or do I have until Tuesday the 5th, (in which case I will put it off to the very last moment, like you all know is my tendency). :)

Written By: jreuben on 06/28/05 at 10:23 am

Um...July 3rd is Sunday, Mr. Reuben.

So...since I'm leaving town on Thursday and won't be back until Monday...I need to know...do I have until Sunday the 3rd, (in which case I'll have to vote before I leave) or do I have until Tuesday the 5th, (in which case I will put it off to the very last moment, like you all know is my tendency). :)

Tuesday the 5th...thanks for catching that.  I figured a couple people might be away over the long weekend.

Written By: Arwen on 06/28/05 at 10:29 am

Tuesday the 5th...thanks for catching that.  I figured a couple people might be away over the long weekend.

Hey, thanks, Jeff...you're a peach!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/28/05 at 9:53 pm

Hey, thanks, Jeff...you're a peach!

Don't you hate those auto-censors? ;)

Written By: MooRocca on 06/29/05 at 8:39 pm

5 pts. -- 17:  Ethan Mawyer:  Hotel Jelly Donut

4 pts. -  18:  Dee Range:  Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis

3 pts. -  7:  Kristof Robertson:  Hubby's Old, Zeta Jones

2 pts. -  5:  Red Ant:  Honesty

1 pt.  -  11:  Arwen:  Hey, When I Wanna

Written By: jreuben on 06/30/05 at 11:42 am

Don't you hate those auto-censors? ;)

That was funny.

And your avatar (School For The Gifted) is my Dad's all-time favorite cartoon (and up there for me too)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/03/05 at 3:41 am

5 points      7:  Kristof Robertson    Hubby's Old, Zeta Jones
4 points    16:  2nz                        Hogwarts Rhapsody
3 points    18:  Dee Range              Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis
2 points      3:  MooRocca                      Hot Tubbin'
1 point      13:  MarthaDtox            Hackin Queen

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/03/05 at 6:48 am

Horrendously hard! Humungous hilarity! Heavenly humour! (ok, I'll quit now...)

5pts: Dee (18) Hookergal.....
4pts: Stu (2) He's A Metrosexual
3pts: MooRocca (3) Hot Tubbin'
2pts: Scathe (10) Home In My Range
1pt: Arwen (11) Hey When I wanna

Great choices for entries, everyone!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/03/05 at 9:01 am

My hat is off to all who entered this round. It's too bad I can only pick 5. There were many more that deserved points. Here's how I voted:

5 points...#18... Dee's oral essay
4 points...#  7... Kristof's wish to be Cathy's clown
3 points...#14... Johnny D's mooving tribute to mastication
2 points...#  2... Stuart's comment on cleanliness
1 point... # 11... Arwen's flight of flirtation

Written By: deerange on 07/03/05 at 12:04 pm

Now the part I hate the most...having to leave people off the top 5. But here goes. My 5 fav H parodies are

5 Points.........Rick Cormier
      4 Points.........Kristof Roberson
      3 Points........ Stuart McArthur
      2 Points.........MooRocca
      1 Point..........Arwen

Great round everybody!!!

Written By: deerange on 07/03/05 at 4:41 pm

Kristof, I just noticed that I left the T out of your last name. Sorry....not that anyone will have any doubt who you are....a Kristof by any other name would write as sweet, after all.

Written By: Scathe on 07/03/05 at 7:07 pm

1 point for MysteryGoat's  "How Am I Supposed To Eat Without A Fork"

2 points for Ethan Mawyer's  "Hotel Jelly Donut"

3 points for Jeff Reuben's  "Hypnotize"

4 points for MarthaDtox's  "Hackin Queen"

5 points for Arwen's  "Hey, When I Wanna"

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 10:22 am

5 points to hogwarts rhapsody (diary-a in a can alone clinched it... the rest was goood too)
4 points to home in the range (great title and i can relate)
3 points to hubbys old zeta jones (just a lot of good lines)
2 points to hips widen away (another great title and good rest of the song)
1 point for dee range's song with the long title

i read them all but commenting is a lot of work and i don't want to be dishonest or offend people

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/05/05 at 11:45 am

i read them all but commenting is a lot of work and i don't want to be dishonest or offend people

Jeff --- does that mean that from now on commenting is optional ?

Written By: adagio on 07/05/05 at 12:56 pm

Jeff...or voting on submitted parodies?

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 12:59 pm

No way...if you've actually made time to read the parody, commenting only takes 10 seconds more.  I don't buy the "I don't have time to comment" bit.  If you don't have time to comment, then how do you have time to read the parodies?  

I think it needs to be required, or people won't even bother looking at stuff if they don't generally like the author...or if they've just made up their minds to vote for their friends...or whatever.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 1:48 pm

i don't like leaving meaningless comments, and meaningful ones take a lot more than ten seconds.

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/05 at 2:32 pm

Jeff --- does that mean that from now on commenting is optional ?

That was certainly not my intention, and I hope not the intention of people entering as well.  My goal was to have the same rules as SOTM, which states:

"This is meant to be a feedback exchange...Voters are strongly encouraged to leave at least a brief comment on every parody, to prove they've at least clicked on them all. Failure to do so will not result in official consequences, but will indicate to others that you're not interested in receiving comments either."  --courtesy of Claude Prez's rule sheet

So, is it optional?  Technically yes.  But I would say to expect people to put the same effort into reading/commenting/voting on my material as I would put into theirs.

Personally, I would say if you can't take the time to read the songs and leave comments, don't enter.  You know what's expected going in.

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 2:41 pm

i don't like leaving meaningless comments, and meaningful ones take a lot more than ten seconds.

I don't like waxing my eyebrows...but I do it anyway...because it makes me look better.

Commenting is part of the contest process.  Would you honestly think you were getting a fair shake if people didn't comment on your entries?  I doubt it.  And if you take a little extra time...your own stuff is more likely to get the meaningful comments you're looking for.

And really...meaningful comments are easier to write than meaningless ones.  It is harder to think of some lame lip service comment (at least for me) than it is to just say what's really on my mind.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/05/05 at 2:48 pm

That was certainly not my intention, and I hope not the intention of people entering as well.  My goal was to have the same rules as SOTM, which states:

"This is meant to be a feedback exchange...Voters are strongly encouraged to leave at least a brief comment on every parody, to prove they've at least clicked on them all. Failure to do so will not result in official consequences, but will indicate to others that you're not interested in receiving comments either."  --courtesy of Claude Prez's rule sheet

So, is it optional?  Technically yes.  But I would say to expect people to put the same effort into reading/commenting/voting on my material as I would put into theirs.

Personally, I would say if you can't take the time to read the songs and leave comments, don't enter.  You know what's expected going in.

Personally, I always leave an ABC or SOTM comment --- if I already commented on the same parody in the past before the contest, I will usually just say "(ABC) See above", since I already made my "more-meaningful" comment earlier.  But if I have not yet commented on the parody, I will write, at the very least, a brief yet friendly & usually humorous comment, which I believe is quite meaningful --- it means I read the parody and found something in it that I enjoyed and/or that I found thought-provoking.

But, Jeff ... since you now say that commenting is technically optional, does that mean that the following statement in your rules no longer applies:  

~~Voters must leave a brief comment on every parody, indicating they've read it for the ABC contest
(something like, "SOTM--555" or "That was awful, Luke--111" or "Luke, why did you ignore my stupid question last round?")

Your official rule says "must leave a brief comment".   The word "must" suggests that if you don't leave at least a brief comment, you're breaking the rules.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 3:05 pm

Commenting is good - i like gettting coments and i will probably leave comments next round as it should not be too close to the SOTM. But dopn't forget that i started this contest back in the day asnd i did not making commenting or voting mandatory. Strict requirements discourages people who don't want to vote on songs they don't know, and it should not be anybody's responsibility to download an OS they don't know. Using an OS the target audience should know is an important part of parody writing, at least in my opinion.

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/05 at 3:06 pm

Personally, I always leave an ABC or SOTM comment --- if I already commented on the same parody in the past before the contest, I will usually just say "(ABC) See above", since I already made my "more-meaningful" comment earlier.  But if I have not yet commented on the parody, I will write, at the very least, a brief yet friendly & usually humorous comment, which I believe is quite meaningful --- it means I read the parody and found something in it that I enjoyed and/or that I found thought-provoking.

But, Jeff ... since you now say that commenting is technically optional, does that mean that the following statement in your rules no longer applies:  

Your official rule says "must leave a brief comment".   The word "must" suggests that if you don't leave at least a brief comment, you're breaking the rules.

Yes, brief comment.  If you leave a long comment, you're breaking the rules as well.   :)

Okay, the SOTM rule changed at some point.  I had copied that rule from a previous contest, for example, the August SOTM:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,3254.0.html

Claude has since changed to the rule above, "strongly encouraging" instead of "must".  So, for the next letter, I'll change that as well.  I don't have the time to be the comment police, checking that everyone commented on all parodies.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 3:09 pm

I was also under the impression tthat votes were due very soon when i voted

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/05/05 at 3:13 pm

Yes, brief comment.  If you leave a long comment, you're breaking the rules as well.   :)

Okay, the SOTM rule changed at some point.  I had copied that rule from a previous contest, for example, the August SOTM:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,3254.0.html

Claude has since changed to the rule above, "strongly encouraging" instead of "must".  So, for the next letter, I'll change that as well.  I don't have the time to be the comment police, checking that everyone commented on all parodies.

Thanks, Jeff, I was only seeking clarity, that's all.

So, with Jeff's clarified rule in mind, To Whomever It May Concern --- it's OK with me if you don't comment on my contest-entry-parodies.  I don't expect comments, and a lack of comments from somebody will not prejudice my evaluation of their own contest-entry-parody.  

However...speaking for myself, I will continue to comment on every contest-entry, according to my own self-imposed guidelines that I described above.  Peace !!   :)

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 3:18 pm

I was also under the impression tthat votes were due very soon when i voted

They are due by the end of today...and I haven't even started... :)

Oh, and by the way...in all the time you've spent defending your right to not comment for lack of time...you could have commented on everything...with meaning.

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/05 at 3:21 pm

Commenting is good - i like gettting coments and i will probably leave comments next round as it should not be too close to the SOTM. But dopn't forget that i started this contest back in the day asnd i did not making commenting or voting mandatory. Strict requirements discourages people who don't want to vote on songs they don't know, and it should not be anybody's responsibility to download an OS they don't know. Using an OS the target audience should know is an important part of parody writing, at least in my opinion.

I think it was a great idea starting this contest, and several people ran it before I did.  But my impression is that people want feedback.  No one is required to download any songs, if you don't know the OS, and don't feel you need to bother to find it, type "DKTOS" and move on.  Even with an implied requirement of comments("strongly encouraged" or otherwise), participation has grown since you ran it to 15-20 per letter consistently.  

"Back in the day" there were never this many entries.  "Back in the day" only the top song got ranked, should we go back to that?  You gave up running it because you didn't have the time to do it, and has evolved.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/05/05 at 4:30 pm

Jeff, define a "long comment".  ;D

I'll put in my take on this. It takes me several minutes usually to read each parody, and that is just the first time around. If I happen to know TOS or have the CD I will even karaoke it. It takes far less time to comment on a song than it does to read it, even for me as SLOOOOWWWWW as I type.

Now, like Johnny D, I don't expect comments and not commenting on my parody will not influence my voting for the next round.

That said, I do hope that everyone will leave a comment indicating something on my entry.

I agree that I will not download a song to rate a parody ( the primary reason as of now is that my dial-up is horrifically slow ) but when I DKTOS and see multiple 5s for pacing I will *usually* trust the other voters or the author if I am familiar with their work and fill in my funny/overall.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 07/05/05 at 5:07 pm

5pts - "Hittin' on EmiLoca" by Jake A Ralphing (Luke Brattoni)
4pts - "Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis" by Dee Range
3pts - "Hey Yo!" by Agrimorfee
2pts - "Hot Tubbin'" by MooRocca
1pts - "Hypnotize" by Jeff Reuben

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/05/05 at 5:51 pm

5 points to  adagio  9  H eights of Flight
4 points to  Charlie Decker  1  Have you seen Dick Cheney?
3 points to  Mehli  3  Hot tubbin
2 points to  Kristoph  7  Hubby’s old
1 point to    Dee Range  18  Hooker gal

Terrific round guys!!

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/05/05 at 5:52 pm

comments following in the am

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 6:58 pm

i guess i shouldn't have apologized. I'll remember that if there's a next time.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/05/05 at 7:26 pm

call me a doomsayer, but if commenting is now optional, that's the beginning of the end of these contests

entries will double over time, and conscientious submitters will have 40-odd parodies to read and comment on

there'll only be 20 out of the 40 commenting anyway, and their numbers will quickly dwindle as they get pissed off that they're now doing double the load, but just feeding lazy entrants' egos

then there'll soon be noone commenting except Red Ant (jk Red Ant ;) ) and entries will double again to 80 as there's no commitment required from any entrant

all eighty entrants will find it too tempting to only vote for their friends or parodies out of the ones they they've chosen to read, rather than check out other people's proudest work, which was the whole point of the contests.

(doomed, I tells ya)

PS:  I've always been impressed by Claude's original idea and template for this competition system.  It's thru the contests that I, as a newbie, came to appreciate who the best writers are, and now that there's a contests link on the front page, newcomers to the site can also go straight to the best stuff, which will bring a greater audience to amiright.  The system works, and the rules should be strict and rigorously adhered to in my opinion

Jeff and Claude shouldn't have to do the policing, but if non-commenters are noticed, they can be PM'd

- or PM me, and I'll volunteer to become the non-commenter police (I can handle the hate) and enforce a one-month disqualification to non-commenters who have been caught out

Written By: Ansky1213 on 07/05/05 at 7:46 pm

5 points to "Hey, When I Wanna" by Arwen (#11)
4 points to "He's A Metrosexual" by Stu M. (#2)
3 points to "Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis" by Dee (#18)
2 points to "Hips Widen Away" by Rick C. (#6)
1 point to "Hitting on EmiLoca" by Luke (#4)

I had my usual troubles narrowing it to 5, but I also spent about 5 minutes flipflopping my 5 points and 4 points getters. Great job everybody!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/05/05 at 8:00 pm

I had my usual troubles narrowing it to 5, but I also spent about 5 minutes flipflopping my 5 points and 4 points getters. Great job everybody!

couldn't you have taken 6 minutes? :\'(

just kidding - thanks Charlie :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/05/05 at 9:43 pm

...don't know what happened with the computers but the screen would just take forever to load whenever I tried opening this page. I should be done voting in 15 minutes or so.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 10:04 pm

how about from now on there is a penalty for not commenting - but the deadline for commenting is a couple of days after the voting deadline. I think from now on 5 points for not commenting, and an additional 5 points for not voting within the thread should be about fair.

Written By: adagio on 07/05/05 at 10:18 pm

call me a doomsayer, but if commenting is now optional, that's the beginning of the end of these contests

entries will double over time, and conscientious submitters will have 40-odd parodies to read and comment on

there'll only be 20 out of the 40 commenting anyway, and their numbers will quickly dwindle as they get ticked off that they're now doing double the load, but just feeding lazy entrants' egos

then there'll soon be noone commenting except Red Ant (jk Red Ant ;) ) and entries will double again to 80 as there's no commitment required from any entrant

all eighty entrants will find it too tempting to only vote for their friends or parodies out of the ones they they've chosen to read, rather than check out other people's proudest work, which was the whole point of the contests.

(doomed, I tells ya)

PS:  I've always been impressed by Claude's original idea and template for this competition system.  It's thru the contests that I, as a newbie, came to appreciate who the best writers are, and now that there's a contests link on the front page, newcomers to the site can also go straight to the best stuff, which will bring a greater audience to amiright.  The system works, and the rules should be strict and rigorously adhered to in my opinion

Jeff and Claude shouldn't have to do the policing, but if non-commenters are noticed, they can be PM'd

- or PM me, and I'll volunteer to become the non-commenter police (I can handle the hate) and enforce a one-month disqualification to non-commenters who have been caught out

Stu, I agree with you wholeheartedly! It's already changing some and seems as though everything will happen as you say.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 10:23 pm

even though its not necessarily a bad thing to get other people involved who might otherwise be intimidated by a commenting requirment

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/05 at 10:28 pm

how about from now on there is a penalty for not commenting - but the deadline for commenting is a couple of days after the voting deadline. I think from now on 5 points for not commenting, and an additional 5 points for not voting within the thread should be about fair.

Personally, I'm fine with people adding comments a couple days late, if needed.  Several people have voted in the past saying, "comments are coming" (and have added comments in the next few days).  I've never penalized for that (and, I generally tally the votes the next morning...if you vote at 3 in the morning, you don't get penalized for being a couple hours late--there's a grace period in there).

If you don't vote, you lose all points.  I really don't think that should change

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/05/05 at 10:39 pm

...that was a LONG 15 minutes!

5 points to Stu's "He's A Metrosexual"
4 points to MooRocca's "Hot Tubbin'"
3 points to Johnny D's "Hay Chewed"
2 points to Kristof's "Hubby's Old, Zeta Jones"
1 point to Adagio's "Heights of Flight That's When/Late Delusion"

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/05 at 11:03 pm

5:  #11 Arwen
4 :  14 JD
3:  16 2nZ
2:  2 stu
1: 3 MooRocca

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 11:11 pm

If you don't vote, you lose all points.  I really don't think that should change

Right on...I agree... :)

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 11:48 pm

Sheesh... >:(

I got through about half of the entries and felt pretty good about my narrowing down abilities...but of course I've got too many winners again.  You guys need to tone the talent down...seriously...

Anyway...

5 points for 2nz
4 points for Dee
3 points for Stuart
2 points for Rick C.
1 point for Johnny D.

I had a hell of a time with this...if I'd had more points to give, I'd throw them at Jeff, Scathe, and MooRocca...and a "Great Round" goes to all y'all.  Bastards. ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/05/05 at 11:52 pm

but anyone not in the running for a medal (esp. new entrants) wouldn't care much about the 5 points, and it would just provide an easy option for late people to just bang in their votes to avoid a penalty, THEN read and comment on the entries to avoid losing 5 points - in which case a worthy parody may not have been read before voting

and I agree with Jeff - a month's disqualification, and points loss, for not voting at all has worked well so far  - as a penalty for a crime which, if allowed to run rife, would almost certainly destroy the competitions

Entering these comps shouild be seen as a privilege, not a right - and privileges have responsibilites

all this is of course just in my h.o. - and if I'm the only one out of step, I'll happily toe the line - but it would still concern me  

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/05/05 at 11:59 pm

even though its not necessarily a bad thing to get other people involved who might otherwise be intimidated by a commenting requirment

intimidated by commenting?   ???

If an entrant is too intimidated to say "good job" to indicate they've read a parody, I ask you....

*doing my best Niedermeyer-from-Animal-House impression*

...I ASK you - is that REALLY the type of person WE want entering OUR competitions?

Sir, with respect, I think NOT!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/06/05 at 12:53 am

Hear hear!

I think we're waiting on one final vote. Dunno who, though.

Written By: ginhalllizard on 07/06/05 at 1:10 am

intimidated by commenting?   ???

If an entrant is too intimidated to say "good job" to indicate they've read a parody, I ask you....

*doing my best Niedermeyer-from-Animal-House impression*

...I ASK you - is that REALLY the type of person WE want entering OUR competitions?

Sir, with respect, I think NOT!

All right, Stu...that does it. You are now officially on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!! ;)

My thoughts on commenting are;

A. If you don't feel like commenting, don't enter the contest. There is no need to make this difficult, by giving extra days, subtracting
        points, etc. If 30 days isn't enough time to vote and comment, 32 will not be enough either.

B. If you don't want to comment until after votes are in, fearing voting backlash due to critical comments, just don't make critical
        comments. If you are smart enough to write parodies, you should be smart enough to write humorous quips of some sort.

C. This commenting on commenting is giving me a headache, and I need a beer. BYE

Written By: 2nz on 07/06/05 at 1:31 am

And after much deliberation:

5 points: #14:  Johnny D:  Hay Chewed

4 points: #11:  Arwen:  Hey, When I Wanna

3 points: #18:  Dee Range:  Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis

2 points: #10:  Scathe:  Home In My Range

1 point: #17:  Ethan Mawyer:  Hotel Jelly Donut

And shouts go out to Adagio for being captivatingly poetic and MooRocca for owning a hot tub and wanting to meet all us neighbors.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/06/05 at 3:10 am

You're welcome 2nz, just give me back the pack of Viagra when you're done.
;)

That's all the votes, I think.

Written By: jreuben on 07/06/05 at 8:10 am

1st Place:  18:  Dee Range:  Hookergalwithagilelipsanddeadlyhalitosis 39 pts

2nd Place:  2:  Stu McArthur:  He's A Metrosexual! 33 pts

3rd Place:  7:  Kristof Robertson:  Hubby's Old, Zeta Jones 27 pts

And the rest:
14 Johnny D Hay Chewed 26
3 MooRocca Hot Tubbin 25
11 Arwen Hey, When I Wanna 23
6 Rick Cormier Hips Widen Away 21
16 2nz Hogwarts Rhapsody 21
9 Adagio Heights of Flight 9
17 Ethan Mawyer Hotel Jelly Donut 9
4 Luke Brattoni Hittin On Emiloca 8
10 Scathe Home In My Range 8
13 MarthaDtox Hackin Queen 5
1 Charlie Decker Have You Seen Dick 4
5 Red Ant Honesty 4
15 Jeff Reuben Hypnotize 4
8 Agrimorfee Hey Yo 3
12 MysteryGoat How Am I Supposed To Eat Without A Fork 1

Congrats to the winners!

Subject: Re: ABC-2005 Round H Voting Thread--Results Posted

Written By: adagio on 07/06/05 at 8:14 am

Congratulations Dee, Stu and Kristof!! :)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/06/05 at 8:32 am

Congratulations Dee, Stu and Kristof. You are now cleared to return to your home planets. ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/06/05 at 8:45 am

Congratulations to Dee & Stuart & Kristof!

My thanks to everybody who tossed a handful of hay to my munching cow!

Medals shall be forthcoming in the near future.   :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/06/05 at 11:22 am

Congratulations to Dee, Stu and Kristof. All three of you are a great inspiration for me to quit writing parodies. Just kidding. Wonderful round by all!

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/06/05 at 12:11 pm

Nice job, all. :)

Written By: MysteryGoat on 07/06/05 at 12:39 pm

Congrats Dee, Stu & Kris. And thanks to Scathe for my one lone vote.

Written By: MooRocca on 07/06/05 at 4:50 pm

Congrats Dee, Stu & Kristof!  Well done!  :) 

Written By: deerange on 07/06/05 at 5:10 pm

My sincere thanks for all the votes and wonderful comments left by everyone. I'm truly speechless, and amazed. Thanks again to such an amazing bunch of writers here at Amiright!!!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/06/05 at 6:59 pm

thanks everyone, and congratulations to my two buddies Dee and Kristof -  great company to be in :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/06/05 at 7:07 pm

Snaps, clicks et al for Dee Range, Stu and Kristof!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/07/05 at 4:02 am

A big, big congrats to the Marquis of Melbourne and Dee-mented Range...IMHO, two of the best writers you're likely to come across, and fine specimens of humanity as well. To paraphrase a parody I read not so long ago...."(bleep) you, Stuart; (bleep) you, Dee-ster" !!! ;)

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/07/05 at 5:59 pm

congrats to the winning songs on such a great round well done.. I am behind schedule wityh mu commenst but today went not according to plan .. the tube station at Aldgate in London which was bombed to day is r=right by my office and I missed  the bomb by a whisker...hope all other Amiright Londoners are OK ...will remedy matters soon

Written By: MooRocca on 07/08/05 at 7:59 am

congrats to the winning songs on such a great round well done.. I am behind schedule wityh mu commenst but today went not according to plan .. the tube station at Aldgate in London which was bombed to day is r=right by my office and I missed  the bomb by a whisker...hope all other Amiright Londoners are OK ...will remedy matters soon

Don't worry about commenting on mine.  I'm just glad for that whisker!  That's better than any comment.  :)  (hugs)

Written By: philbo on 07/08/05 at 4:34 pm

congrats to the winning songs on such a great round well done.. I am behind schedule wityh mu commenst but today went not according to plan .. the tube station at Aldgate in London which was bombed to day is r=right by my office and I missed the bomb by a whisker...hope all other Amiright Londoners are OK ...will remedy matters soon

Glad to hear you're OK, Helen.  I was a little concerned: my sister's in that neck of the woods, too, and was about to go to Aldgate tube when she got a call saying "don't bother coming, and turn on the news".

Written By: Red Ant on 07/08/05 at 4:42 pm

Wow, close call Martha and glad to hear you're okay as well.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/09/05 at 2:18 am

thanks for your comments guys .. it is a strange time here ... and I have my comedy revue called "excessive exuberance" on wednesday... dont feel very exuberant at present ... but hey the show must go on we can't let the buggers get us down to quote a well known ex tory minister a few years back.......if any London Amirighters are feelin in need of cheering up do come to the show
I have some very good singers and dancers joining me from the final year of our University's performing arts degree......

cheers

Written By: philbo on 07/09/05 at 4:13 am

.....if any London Amirighters are feelin in need of cheering up do come to the show

:D

Same place as last time?

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/09/05 at 7:11 am

Hi Phil

Yes  From around 6.30 ish This  time we are in the upstairs bar.  There is a conference til 5 at the Law School and then the post conference party/ satirical caberet will kick off asap thereafter .. will  take a bit of time to switch mode ...

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/06/05 at 9:58 pm

Medals have been posted!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...