inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: new name for intentionallly unfunny parodies

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/05 at 10:45 pm

A parody, by definition, is supposed to be funny. And while humorless reworking of songs for tributes, or to make a serious point certainly belong on amiright I don't think they should be called parodies. They should be called something else. But what? I don't have any idea at the moment. Do you?

Subject: Re: new name for intentionallly unfunny parodies

Written By: adagio on 07/05/05 at 10:48 pm

I'd be interested in seeing some of the names since I write some of them myself.  And if I think of one, I'll put it down here.  :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/05/05 at 11:21 pm

Share-odies?
Sincere-odies?
Care-odies?
Austere-odies?
Adagi-odies?

Just trying to help. 

How about "Intentionally Unfunny Parodies"?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/05/05 at 11:33 pm

To add a few to Claude's list:

Pyrenees ( after the mountain range ): For parodies that are probably a mountain of work but are not funny.

Paro-DIES: For incredibly bad parodies that not only are unfunny but poorly paced as well.

Tributees: For tributes.

Maladies: For toilet humor parodies that forget to be funny, and there are toilet humor parodies that ARE funny.

Oddities: For the weird ones that defy convention.

Many people including myself substitute the strict definition of funny for other things such as heartfelt, well-written, meaningful, beautiful, message, etc.

Written By: adagio on 07/06/05 at 7:29 am

Share-odies?
Sincere-odies?
Care-odies?
Austere-odies?
Adagi-odies?

Just trying to help. 

For some strange reason I like "Adagi-odies". lol  ;) ::)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/06/05 at 12:10 pm

Well, strictly speaking, even a funny lyric isn't really a parody unless it plays off the original concept of the OS, so we'd have to come up with a new term for more than just the unfunny ones...  ::)

Written By: K1chyd on 07/06/05 at 2:32 pm

Recoveries?

Alt Recoveries?

Alt(o)recoveries?

Altorecoveries?

Written By: MooRocca on 07/06/05 at 6:58 pm

1.  Rewrite
2.  Alternate lyrics
3.  Scumming off someone else's tune
4.  Tripe(for those that the author meant to be funny, but missed the mark.  See Parody Authors/MooRocca for 60 some-odd examples.  ;D)
5.  Improvement (See Parody Authors/MysteryGoat for numerous examples)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: adagio on 07/06/05 at 8:32 pm

Serious parodies?  ???

Written By: MysteryGoat on 07/07/05 at 1:57 am

I usually think of parodies as like Leo said, playing off of something else, which in the case of music, you're only taking the music of a song. Most of the time, you're not even playing off the original lyrics, just pacing them, which makes sense to put it to the tune of the music. This is why I usually consider some of Will Smiths songs parodies (i.e. men in black, will 2k, i'm all that). However you also have a spoof, which I would consider blantently making fun of the original work or perhaps the subject matter. I don't see most songs, Weird Al's or otherwise, being in the spoof catagory as they usually just seem to be a rework of the original material. Movies on the otherhand are great examples of spoofs (i.e. scary movie, not another teen movie). Anyway, serious or funny, I think most fall under the parody catagory. You could make sub-catagories maybe, but are you really that anal?  :)

5. Improvement (See Parody Authors/MysteryGoat for numerous examples)

Good idea MooRocca, follow the link in my signiture.  ;) ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 07/07/05 at 11:29 am

Share-odies?
Sincere-odies?
Care-odies?
Austere-odies?
Adagi-odies?

Just trying to help. 

You missed one:  Despairodies   

:) 

Written By: EthanM on 07/07/05 at 12:08 pm

how about tragodies

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/07/05 at 1:11 pm

how about sparodies 

(s)erious parodies = sparodies

Written By: PRobinson on 07/07/05 at 3:22 pm

how about sparodies 

(s)erious parodies = sparodies

Well, I can't think of an all-purpose name for "intentionally unfunny parodies" and, well, with all the due respect and amusement I can muster the first thought that came to my mind upon seeing the "thread topic" was "WHY?"  Now, I am probably prone to be as anal about sorting and filing and the like as just about anyone else around here, but outside of stimulating the 'respond' spot in my brain I don't see the need.  I can USUALLY tell when someone is being serious in a parody...unless they are mixing it with humor that I don't really get...Maybe there would be a need to categorize or label "serious, intentionally non-funny" works if there were a scoring category only for those pieces...but there isn't and probably won't be...Of course, I'm just being grouchy because our WebMaster here at work just told me I could only run my "Refunds Today Daily Poll" thread once a week instead of every day because it generates too much internal "spam" when folks respond back & forth...(grump...grump)...That's what I get for having one today that almost everyone got really involved. 

OH...BTW, the first three letters of "Parody" are my Initials...Paul Alan Robinson

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/07/05 at 4:10 pm

Well, I can't think of an all-purpose name for "intentionally unfunny parodies" and, well, with all the due respect and amusement I can muster the first thought that came to my mind upon seeing the "thread topic" was "WHY?"  Now, I am probably prone to be as anal about sorting and filing and the like as just about anyone else around here, but outside of stimulating the 'respond' spot in my brain I don't see the need.  I can USUALLY tell when someone is being serious in a parody...unless they are mixing it with humor that I don't really get...Maybe there would be a need to categorize or label "serious, intentionally non-funny" works if there were a scoring category only for those pieces...but there isn't and probably won't be...Of course, I'm just being grouchy because our WebMaster here at work just told me I could only run my "Refunds Today Daily Poll" thread once a week instead of every day because it generates too much internal "spam" when folks respond back & forth...(grump...grump)...That's what I get for having one today that almost everyone got really involved. 

OH...BTW, the first three letters of "Parody" are my Initials...Paul Alan Robinson

Heh heh! 

Actually, I was only joking about " sparodies ". 

I "seriously" doubt there can be even an approximate "common sense" consensus as to what constitutes "unfunny" ... if I write a parody that I call "intentionally unfunny", for all I know everybody else in the world will find it hilarious. 

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 07/07/05 at 11:29 pm

Hey, how 'bout...
...Does Not Compare-odies ?
...Not a Prayer-odies ?
...If You Dare-odies ??
...Despair-odies ??
...Beware-odies ???

Ok I'll just stop myself now

Written By: adagio on 07/08/05 at 8:00 am

Heh heh! 

Actually, I was only joking about " sparodies ".   

I "seriously" doubt there can be even an approximate "common sense" consensus as to what constitutes "unfunny" ... if I write a parody that I call "intentionally unfunny", for all I know everybody else in the world will find it hilarious. 

True Johnny...some might find something hilarious in all so-called"serious" parodies.  So, I've decided to preface mine (this time promise I will) saying that it's open to interpretation (that sets no bounds on them...if they want to find it funny, that's their interpretation.)

But, jokes here are the order of the day, so how about a long name that drives the machine wild...like "this is not funny,although some will find it funny, yadda, yadda, yadda......"  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 07/08/05 at 10:32 am

I've written one "intentionally unfunny" parody and I would have been disgusted if anyone had voted it higher than a 2 for funny. "well-penned" certainly applies, but Agrimorfee even said it was "unvoteable", whch I agree with.

Once ( IF ) anyone clicks this link, tell me I'm wrong:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana177.shtml

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 11:42 am

Oy, still with this thread?

Look, NONE of my parodies are meant to be funny, though inexplicably people do occasionally find amusement in the heartfelt sentiments found therein.  (Why someone would find humor in a young man expressing his love and devotion to his mother above all other women is beyond me, but there you are -- in this sick, depraved world of ours, there is simply no respect for authentic expressions of deeply-felt sentiment).

Regardless... if we insist on a special term, since my work is clearly the epitome of "intentionally unfunny", why don't we just agree on 'Leodies' (appropriately capitalized at all times, please) and we'll call it a day.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 11:44 am

Once ( IF ) anyone clicks this link, tell me I'm wrong:  http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana177.shtml

Geez, the way people insist on constantly plugging their own work around here...

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 11:45 am

And they're not even subtle about it.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 11:46 am

Just disgraceful...

Written By: Red Ant on 07/08/05 at 11:51 am

Leo, you can stop now. I get the point.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 12:05 pm

Somehow, I don't think you do...

My signature is a plug...  it's a joke. 

See, my parodies are dead serious... but none of my posts are to be taken seriously.  :P

Written By: adagio on 07/08/05 at 12:13 pm

Oy, still with this thread?

Regardless... if we insist on a special term, since my work is clearly the epitome of "intentionally unfunny", why don't we just agree on 'Leodies' (appropriately capitalized at all times, please) and we'll call it a day.

I disagree, only a few of mine are funny...we can call your's Leodies, if we also use the name Adagi-odies.

Written By: MooRocca on 07/08/05 at 5:37 pm

I was going to suggest naming them after me, but seeing as how I'm so beloved and worshipped, by all, that most songs are already named after me  (Melodies) I decided not to be greedy. 

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/08/05 at 6:52 pm

"Studies" sounds fine to me  :-\\

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/08/05 at 9:02 pm

Curse all you people with easily prefixabled names!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 9:35 pm

"Studies" sounds fine to me  :-\\

Well... I didn't want to be boastful, but ok -- 'Stud Leo'-dies, it is.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/08/05 at 11:19 pm

Well... I didn't want to be boastful, but ok -- 'Stud Leo'-dies, it is.

studleodies does have a ring to it - and that's 2 votes already...

(I'd say we're home, Leo - and we've both written some studleodies in our time ::))

Written By: philbo on 07/09/05 at 3:20 pm

"studleodies"?? Sounds like someone trying to yodel...

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/11/05 at 10:09 am

studleodies does have a ring to it - and that's 2 votes already...

(I'd say we're home, Leo - and we've both written some studleodies in our time ::))

Though of course a 'studleodie' is the very antithesis of a metrosexodie.  Clearly, you're very versatile  ::)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/11/05 at 10:31 am

Though of course a 'studleodie' is the very antithesis of a metrosexodie.  Clearly, you're very versatile  ::)

have to be versatile, Leo, if I am to win the fair maiden of my dreams

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/11/05 at 12:22 pm

have to be versatile, Leo, if I am to win the fair maiden of my dreams

Heh!  Good luck with that one!

Written By: PRobinson on 07/11/05 at 2:11 pm

Well, although I was in favor of eschewing this topic, I decided to throw one in...I don't think I have seen it in this thread before:

No-Fun-ditties 

PAR  ::)

Written By: philbo on 07/15/05 at 6:06 am

No-Fun-ditties

Hmm... I was always rather pro-fun-ditties...

Written By: Matthias on 07/15/05 at 9:21 am

How about...
Sincereodees... or... Saft-Dees... or... Serious-O-Dees? Or maybe based of TV... Dramadees? or... Lifetime-O-Dees?
;)

Written By: Matthias on 07/15/05 at 10:38 am

That's It... DRAMADEES

Written By: PRobinson on 07/15/05 at 12:04 pm

Hmm... I was always rather pro-fun-ditties...

Ah, Philbo, you have deconstructed my suggestion back down to it's root source...yes, I am more in favor of the "Pro-fun-ditty" type of parody myself ~ ~ ~  :P

PAR 

Written By: adagio on 07/16/05 at 10:26 pm

The name of the thread sounds like trying to name glum parodies.  :\'(

How about awesome-dies
                 "thoughts"
                  thoughtfuls<......I like this one, either that or adagiodies  ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 07/18/05 at 1:03 am

The name of the thread sounds like trying to name glum parodies.  :\'(

How about awesome-dies
                  "thoughts"
                  thoughtfuls<......I like this one, either that or adagiodies  ;)

well, if we are talking "Sad" then one would have to consider "despair-odies"  :-[  (I guess "bleak" might be more appropriate for "despair-odies" - now it's possible somebody might have already come up with this one in the thread...OH...think I will "shoot" first and post it here and THEN check back through the earlier notes on this thread to see if that might be the case.

PAR 

Written By: PRobinson on 07/22/05 at 12:16 pm

Hmmm...I thought I posted a note crediting MooRocca with "despair-odies" after I looked through the whole thread, but I don't see it here...maybe I didn't...

PAR

Written By: RichKapalin on 07/27/05 at 7:46 am

Haven't seen these suggestions...

How about "Absurditties"?
Or "Mediocrodies"?

Or,my personal favorite, since "serious" means "grim", maybe "Grimmies"?

Written By: PRobinson on 04/03/06 at 11:02 pm

1.  Rewrite
2.  Alternate lyrics
3.  Scumming off someone else's tune
4.  Tripe(for those that the author meant to be funny, but missed the mark.  See Parody Authors/MooRocca for 60 some-odd examples.  ;D)
5.  Improvement (See Parody Authors/MysteryGoat for numerous examples)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Well, who knows if you (or anybody, for that matter) will see this, since your post is about, oh...8 or 9 months old now...but I really like your suggestions here...lol...

pr

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/24/06 at 3:53 am

I shall keep in the spirit, by using a "Sniglet":

Parolames: (pronounced: PAIR-O-LAMES)-noun, circa 2006;
A song meant to be a humorous tribute to another, which somehow becomes COMPLETELY either humorless, or is rendered humorless after Arnold Schwarzennegger attempts to sing it.

Check for new replies or respond here...