inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: November Song of the Month Voting -- Voting closed; results posted

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/08/05 at 11:31 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
             If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
             If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
             All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
             Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

1.  Salutary Man by Johnny D

2.  Goblet Of Fire by Agrimorfee

3.  Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament by Kristof Robertson

4.  Fulla Plaque Girl by Dumb *ss Kid

5.  MILF! by Red Ant
                     DKTOS? (Really?) MP3 here

6.  The Twelve Days of Court Case by Tim Mayfield

7.  Keep Avoiding You by Arwen

8.  Lil' Jimmy by Josh 2

9.  Bleep It by Matthias

10.  Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd
                        Recording of original

11.  Stinky Fragrance Man by Claude Prez

12.  The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur

13.  Battle Hymns of the Armies of Mordor by Adam Eccleshall

14. Get Up by Ethan Mawyer
                  mp3 of original(contains profanity)

15.  Popeye The Sailor Man by Mikey Squirrel

16.  Don't Wanna Be Santa Anymore by 2nz
                        mp3 of original

17.  An Actor's Dilemma by Phil Alexander

18.  Japanese Rice by wannabemustangjockey

19.  Transformers:  Cybertron by the_conqueror_of_parodies

20.  Somewhere There

Subject: Re: November Song of the Month Voting

Written By: Morton on 12/08/05 at 4:17 pm

Okay, just incase my internet does an AWOL on me again, i'm posting these nice and early  ;)

1st place: Kristof Robertson - Me Depressed
2nd place: Stu McArthur - The Tunes I Wish They'd Unsing
3rd place: Claude Prez - Stinky Fragrance Man
4th place: K1Chyd - Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis
5th place: Red Ant - MILF!

Another top month and good luck to everyone taking part  ;)

Written By: Josh2 on 12/10/05 at 5:56 am

1st - Tim Mayfield
2nd - Stu MacArthur
3rd - Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd
4th - wannabemustangjockey
5th - Kristof Robinson

Written By: EthanM on 12/10/05 at 12:52 pm

what's the point of mandatory commenting when you can leave a comment of dktos despite the mp3 being provided for you?

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/10/05 at 1:54 pm

what's the point of mandatory commenting when you can leave a comment of dktos despite the mp3 being provided for you?

Ethan's got a point --- saying you don't know the original song when the original is being GIVEN to you is a bit odd ... unless, for some technical reason, you are unable to access the song-recording.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/10/05 at 4:13 pm

Ethan's got a point --- saying you don't know the original song when the original is being GIVEN to you is a bit odd ... unless, for some technical reason, you are unable to access the song-recording.

There is a warning that it contains profanity, though.  Josh is clearly pretty young so I'd give him the benefit of a doubt here.  If I were him, though, I would make an effort to let people know he at least tried to enjoy the parodies he didn't know, rather than make the lame dktos copout, or he's gonna get some pretty short, lame comments on his songs in the future.  I predict.  But technically he did comment, and I have no interest in policing it any further in any official way.  And he voted promptly, always a good thing.

Written By: Josh2 on 12/10/05 at 4:24 pm

just to clear things up guys, when i first saw dem links i thought they were only lyrics (tired) and wen i did try n play them later, turns out i cant, (crummy linux)

Written By: EthanM on 12/10/05 at 6:05 pm

the linux excuse is fine... i really have more of a problem with mandatory comments than josh not being able to listen to the original.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/10/05 at 9:53 pm

the linux excuse is fine... i really have more of a problem with mandatory comments than josh not being able to listen to the original.

Well, feel free to propose a vote to remove the rule we just re-implemented.  It'll be fun.

Written By: EthanM on 12/10/05 at 11:08 pm

by fun, do you mean embarassing?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/11/05 at 6:07 am

by fun, do you mean embarassing?

Not necessarily.  All I mean is, you can make a pretty good case for dropping the guideline (you have before), and could possibly get it to pass.  Then the next week someone else could bring it back, and so on...that would be fun. 

I understand your problem, believe me, and I admire your integrity in not wanting to post bland positive comments that you don't really mean about every parody.  But we're not asking you to lie.  I think the general approach is to look for something good about even the worst parody, and focus on that, rather than to be brutally honest and irritate people and hurt your own chances.  Because I know that when I write a, um, less-than-perfect parody ("Somebody Slap Me"?  What the *&#! was I thinking?) I would prefer not to be told directly how horrible it is.  Break it to me gently, with an overall lack of enthusiasm.  But if it's entered in a contest, I want to know that people at least read it and tried to enjoy it, even if they dktos.  That's what I try to do, anyway.  It's kind of a golden rule thing.  You can't tell me you like it when people in the SOTM don't leave a comment.  That's all I'm saying.

Written By: 2nz on 12/12/05 at 12:42 pm

Then the next week someone else could bring it back, and so on...that would be fun.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/12/05 at 2:36 pm

5pts=Kristof's swinging mood
4pts=Tim's litigation
3pts=Peter's Kringle crack
2pts=Stu's unsingable song
1pt=Ethan's get up

Written By: Red Ant on 12/12/05 at 5:59 pm

Well, here is the aftermath of the November SOTM round:

5 points to 12.  The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur

Making fun of music...one song at a time, something my own heart takes after. Stu knocked down 36 at once in a great piece that sadly enough given the number of horrible songs made could spawn a copycat a day for months to come. Just don't put any Alice in Chains' songs in there Stu.

4 points to 16.  Don't Wanna Be Santa Anymore by 2nz

This really benefitted from hearing TOS IMHO, and reindeer sh*ts, unionized elves, meno Clause, etc make this second place in my picks this month.

3 points to 10.  Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Armed with ground-to-sleigh missles, no wonder 2nz don't want the job. Ahem. Perhaps one of your best parodies to date.

2 points to 6.  The Twelve Days of Court Case by Tim Mayfield

A flawless parody of this OS. Funny and a bit bizarre.

1 point to 3.  Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament by Kristof Robertson

This was the hardest spot to call and was literally a coin flip between this and wmbj's "Japanese Rice".

Great round to all, many of your parodies exceeded TOS by a wide margin.

Red Ant

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/12/05 at 11:08 pm

That was actually one of my reasons for proposing mandatory commenting - to out the slackers as slackers. Without comments, it's impossible to tell if someone even bothered to read the entries. With comments, you get a fair idea whether they did - and how much effort they expended.

As for saying what you feel about parodies, I say go for it. Don't worry about the occasional prick who calls you names for saying a parody wasn't your favorite. I agree with Claude and 2nz, too, even if they disagree with each other.

And now I gotta go read "Somebody Slap Me."

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/12/05 at 11:59 pm

As for saying what you feel about parodies, I say go for it. Don't worry about the occasional prick who calls you names for saying a parody wasn't your favorite. I agree with Claude and 2nz, too, even if they disagree with each other.

I agree with the first and second sentences, and I agree with Spaff agreeing with Claude and 2nz, despite 2nz disagreeing with Claude - I thought 2nz made some excellent points

now I have to find someone to disagree with to try to restore some cred...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/13/05 at 6:36 pm

5 points..........3.    Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament                Kristof Robertson
4 points..........20.  Somewhere There

Written By: Matthias on 12/14/05 at 5:52 pm

And the nomaniees for Song Of The Month Are...

1st: Me Depressed, by Kristof Robertson
2nd: An Actor's Dilemma, by Phil Alexander
3rd: Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing, by Stuart McArthur
4th: MILF!, by Red Ant
5th: Santaclaustrophobia, by Peter Andersson

Good Luck Authors And Have The Best Man Win!!!

Written By: Red Ant on 12/14/05 at 6:38 pm

And the nomaniees for Song Of The Month Are...

1st: Me Depressed, by Kristof Robertson
2nd: An Actor's Dilemma, by Phil Alexander
3rd: Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing, by Stuart McArthur
4th: MILF!, by Red Ant
5th: Santaclaustrophobia, by Peter Andersson

Good Luck Authors And Have The Best Man Win!!!

I appreciate the vote, but I do hope for your sake comments are forthcoming lest you be DQ'ed.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/20/05 at 11:17 pm

Ist Choice: Don't Wanna Be Santa No More by 2nz
2nd Choice: Fulla Plaque Girl by Dumb *ss Kid
3rd Choice: Goblet Of Fire by Agrimorfee
4th Choice: Bleep It by Matthias
5th Choice: Get Up by Ethan Mawyer

I didn't need the mp3 file for 2nz's or Ethan Mawyer's. By sheer coincidence, I only know the OS for Goblet Of Fire because it's part of the soundtrack for THUG2.

And why has no-one voted for me yet? :\'(

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/21/05 at 12:18 am

In response to Red Ant (personal thing), my comment to all the entries I didn't vote for is simply: Sorry but DKTOS. To the ones I did vote for: Brilliant work 2nz, Matthias, Dumb *ss Kid, Agrimorfee and Ethan Mawyer. You all have thought of a good subject. Ethan, good work on being the first to parody 'Get Low' (and actually submit it, unlike 50 Bent). Matthias, an excellent message. 2nz, perfect timing, with Christmas being around the corner. Agrimorfee, LMFAO times by about a billion. Dumb *ss Kid, luv it. There.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/21/05 at 12:18 pm

In response to Red Ant (personal thing), my comment to all the entries I didn't vote for is simply: Sorry but DKTOS. To the ones I did vote for: Brilliant work 2nz, Matthias, Dumb *ss Kid, Agrimorfee and Ethan Mawyer. You all have thought of a good subject. Ethan, good work on being the first to parody 'Get Low' (and actually submit it, unlike 50 Bent). Matthias, an excellent message. 2nz, perfect timing, with Christmas being around the corner. Agrimorfee, LMFAO times by about a billion. Dumb *ss Kid, luv it. There.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

^^^This look familiar?

Written By: Red Ant on 12/21/05 at 1:05 pm

In response to Red Ant (personal thing), my comment to all the entries I didn't vote for is simply: Sorry but DKTOS.

My PM was so that you wouldn't get DQed from non-commenting, not explain your votes.

I'm not bothered that you didn't vote for my song or even that you DKTOS, but do you know how much feedback a non-comment offers me (and the other 13 entries you DKTOS)?

ZERO

And, since you've already stated DKTOS en masse on this thread, there
really is no point in leaving comments if all we're going to get is "Sorry but DKTOS".

Or do you think "DKTOS" means "Don't Kare To Offer SH*T"?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/21/05 at 4:04 pm

Oh, you mean not just the ones that made it, you mean alll the entries. Oops :-[. I'll...go and look at them...right away...sorry...

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/21/05 at 4:17 pm

I'm back. I looked at the other entries, and coincidentaly, there were a few DKTOS's, but, I did recognise Tim Mayfield's entry 'The Twelve Days Of Court Case' (although that's not saying much), and it was BRILLIANT! I luved the way he changed each thing instead of keeping everything, and that everyone was shot at the end. I also found interest in 'Me Depressed'. Although I can't remember all of the OS, I could still figure out the first bit, and it was great.

I think the reason for all of my DKTOS's is that as I am fairly young (14), I don't know most of those old songs like HELP! by the Beatles (sorry Red Ant) and whatever the Johnny Rivers one was. In fact, I don't know who Johnny Rivers is, and I don't know any Beatles songs at all. I am extremely sorry. Seriously.

And DKTOS does not stand for 'Don't Kare To Offer SH*t'.

And Merry Christmas to you to.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/21/05 at 7:51 pm

I'm back. I looked at the other entries, and coincidentaly, there were a few DKTOS's, but, I did recognise Tim Mayfield's entry 'The Twelve Days Of Court Case' (although that's not saying much), and it was BRILLIANT! I luved the way he changed each thing instead of keeping everything, and that everyone was shot at the end. I also found interest in 'Me Depressed'. Although I can't remember all of the OS, I could still figure out the first bit, and it was great.

I think the reason for all of my DKTOS's is that as I am fairly young (14), I don't know most of those old songs like HELP! by the Beatles (sorry Red Ant) and whatever the Johnny Rivers one was. In fact, I don't know who Johnny Rivers is, and I don't know any Beatles songs at all. I am extremely sorry. Seriously.

And DKTOS does not stand for 'Don't Kare To Offer SH*t'.

And Merry Christmas to you to.

I can tell you're young.  But you do know how to read, right?  On the parody you wrote, for example, if you click on it and scroll down, you'll see all these nifty comments that other people -- many of them your fellow participants in this contest -- have taken the time to give you.  See, they read your parody, then told you -- right there beneath the parody -- what they thought.  That is where the mandatory comments for each parody go.  If you don't want to do all that hard work, it's okay.  Just let me know and I'll remove your entry.  But if you don't want to be DQ'd (which has nothing to do with ice cream), you'll have to go through each parody again and leave a comment to let the author know what you thought of it, even if you don't happen to know the original.  It's not all that complicated, I don't think.  I apologize if it seems harsh, but we seem to be having a lot of this sort of difficulty lately with our younger participants and it's getting a little tiresome.

I also think you may want to apologize to Tim and Kristof, because it sounds like if you had actually read all the entries before voting, you may have voted differently.  Just a suggestion.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/21/05 at 7:57 pm

Claude, could you please add this under my entry?

DKTOS? (Really?) MP3 here

-------------------------------

Bobpiecheese, you might give it a listen. Right click the link, save it and then it'll download automatically.

Peter Andersson provided a MP3 for his entry, so unless there's some reason you can't play MP3s you shouldn't be DKTOS.

Written By: K1chyd on 12/22/05 at 7:04 am

I think the reason for all of my DKTOS's is that as I am fairly young (14), I don't know most of those old songs like HELP! by the Beatles...

I remember when I got a DKTOS on a parody to

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/22/05 at 10:49 am

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/23/05 at 6:51 pm

Claude_Prez, if you look at all the entries to this contest, you should see that I (as bobpiecheese) have left a comment under each one. Believe me, I had to listen to several songs so I could check the pacing, including Help!, so I could reply to Red Ant's song.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/23/05 at 8:47 pm

Claude_Prez, if you look at all the entries to this contest, you should see that I (as bobpiecheese) have left a comment under each one. Believe me, I had to listen to several songs so I could check the pacing, including Help!, so I could reply to Red Ant's song.

I did notice, and appreciate the way you handled this whole episode.  I apologize if I came across as rude or harsh.  I might add that when I make comments, I don't necessarily feel that I have to know the original song.  If they provide a recording, of course, I listen.  But even just reading it cold, with no familiarity with the original, I can still say what I think of it, even if I don't fully "get" it. 

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 12/23/05 at 8:52 pm

Written By: Red Ant on 12/24/05 at 3:41 am

// Believe me, I had to listen to several songs so I could check the pacing, including Help!, so I could reply to Red Ant's song.

I appreciate the listen bobpiecheese, and the comment. Though you didn't "get" it, that's fine with me. I figure by the time you're 18 or so you will get it.  ;)

And, I apologize for coming off harsh. Tact is not a skill I've mastered yet.

// If SOTM's regularly came with mp3s, the DKTOS would be much lower, and people would be exposed to new music.//

Well, true, but Josh 2 has already stated he has Linux and can't access them. And I went through hell just to find a COVER of Help!, that MP3 is accurate but not The Beatles' version.

I agree though that aside from feedback exchange part of this contest for me is that exposure to new music (or older tunes I was DKTOS).

While I may be in the minority on this point, a DKTOS, vaguely remembered song or even downright annoying/awful OS does not by any means exclude me awarding points to an entry.

Written By: AdamEcc on 12/24/05 at 9:30 am

Tough call on some of these.  Great month  8)

5 pts - 12. The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur
4 pts - 3.  Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament by Kristof Robertson
3 pts - 10. Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd
2 pts - 17. An Actor's Dilemma by Phil Alexander
1 pt  - 7.  Keep Avoiding You by Arwen

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/26/05 at 3:16 am

And, I apologize for coming off harsh. Tact is not a skill I've mastered yet.

No problem, oh Ant Of Red. I'm not familiar with the word 'tact', though I can pretty much guess it's meaning.

I apologize if I came across as rude or harsh.

That's all right, Claude. By the way, is Prez a last name? Cuz if I called myself Claude, I would've chosen Claude_Ballz or something like that. Just wondering.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/26/05 at 5:59 am

That's all right, Claude. By the way, is Prez a last name? Cuz if I called myself Claude, I would've chosen Claude_Ballz or something like that. Just wondering.

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/27/05 at 12:45 am

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

Sure you don't. ::)

Also, what song should I submit for next month? Just check me parodies, and look at the ones submitted in December. Thanx

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/27/05 at 7:43 am

I want to commend everyone for being gentlemanly about this whole controversy, on both sides. This IS STILL supposed to be just for fun, after all.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/27/05 at 11:26 am

Sure you don't. ::)

Also, what song should I submit for next month? Just check me parodies, and look at the ones submitted in December. Thanx

Sorry, DKTOS's.  Heh heh.  Seriously, it's up to you.  I usually go with the one I like best.

Written By: philbo on 12/27/05 at 3:55 pm

5 points - #13.  Battle Hymns of the Armies of Mordor by Adam Eccleshall
4 points - # 7.  Keep Avoiding You by Arwen
3 points - #16.  Don't Wanna Be Santa Anymore by 2nz
2 points - #12.  The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur
1 point  - #20.  Somewhere There’s A Home Depot by John Jenkins

Another good month... there were two I found hardest to kick out of the above lineup, "Bleep It" and "Me Depressed".  Sorry, Matthias and Kristof.

Written By: K1chyd on 12/28/05 at 12:58 pm

To avoid any misunderstandings among first time participants: I

Written By: tmayfield on 12/28/05 at 9:22 pm

I really wanted to vote for all of them this time...  Who wrote these rules anyway?  j/k  ;D

5 points - Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament - Kristof Robertson
4 points - Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis - Peter Andersson
3 points - The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing - Stuart McArthur
2 points - Battle Hymns of the Armies of Mordor - Adam Eccleshall
1 point - Don't Wanna Be Santa No More - 2nz

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 12/29/05 at 11:33 am

"Take it...to the limit...one more time."
The Eagles sang it well -- I waited till the last minute for the second month in a row to vote. But here it is.

1st. Me Depressed - Kristof Robertson
2nd. Santaclaustrophobia - Peter Andersson
3rd. The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing - Stu McArthur
4th. MILF! - Red Ant
5th. Battle Hymns of Mordor - Adam Eccleshall

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 12/30/05 at 5:23 am

Yoiks! Even with a slightly lower quotient of parodies this month...still not easy

5 pts: (#10) Peter's Santa ramblings
4 pts: (#16) 2nz's Claus and effect
3 pts: (#12) Stu's request for The Sound Of No Music
2 pts: (#6) Tim's judicial japes
1 pt: (#20) John's litigious lark

1 more month to go!!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/30/05 at 4:42 pm

How long is it gonna take to see the results? It's almost January already (I live in Australia). And this is for the November SOTM. I mean, come on! The rules actually say that voting ends when the last day of the month ends. I think it's over by now. Claude_Ballz? You're in charge of this, right? Not meaning to act rude or anything, but shouldn't you be calculating votes by now? As I said, I don't mean to be rude.

Written By: tmayfield on 12/30/05 at 5:56 pm

How long is it gonna take to see the results? It's almost January already (I live in Australia). And this is for the November SOTM. I mean, come on! The rules actually say that voting ends when the last day of the month ends. I think it's over by now. Claude_Ballz? You're in charge of this, right? Not meaning to act rude or anything, but shouldn't you be calculating votes by now? As I said, I don't mean to be rude.

I think you will not see results until January 1st or 2nd.  That's the expected, anyway...  Since December has 31 days, and voting closes midnight on the 31st, it would be impossible to tabulate votes until then.  I think there's still 7 unrepresented votes...

Written By: philbo on 12/30/05 at 6:24 pm

Thank you, Tim, for being so polite in your answer... I was about to write something a lot less so ;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 12/30/05 at 7:14 pm

I know this is your first SOTM, conqueror...but use a bit of logic, huh? November SOTM means any song written in November is eligible, hence there's the first 8 days in December in which to enter. Then, as you've already stated...voting ends when the last day of the month ends. Now, I'm Australian too...and we're not THAT different to the rest of the world; 31st December usually signifies the end of the month. And given that it's New Years...when the imbibing of hard liquor and staying up all night is the norm, I'd be thrilled if we get the results by the 3rd or 4th of January...Got it? Only the patient man learns the true path to enlightment, young parodist....

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/30/05 at 9:40 pm

5 points for #12.  The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur

4 points for #7.  Keep Avoiding You by Arwen

3 points for #17.  An Actor's Dilemma by Phil Alexander

2 points for #20.  Somewhere There

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/30/05 at 11:09 pm

I know this is your first SOTM, conqueror...but use a bit of logic, huh? November SOTM means any song written in November is eligible, hence there's the first 8 days in December in which to enter. Then, as you've already stated...voting ends when the last day of the month ends. Now, I'm Australian too...and we're not THAT different to the rest of the world; 31st December usually signifies the end of the month. And given that it's New Years...when the imbibing of hard liquor and staying up all night is the norm, I'd be thrilled if we get the results by the 3rd or 4th of January...Got it? Only the patient man learns the true path to enlightment, young parodist....

Ah. I see. Nice to see a fellow Aussie. Well, read something from a fellow Aussie, anway. Only the patient man, eh? Barely anybody's patient these days Hee-hee-hee...hard liquor..

Written By: K1chyd on 12/31/05 at 12:11 am

Well, Claude has a job that comes first, even though he's a bit postal. :P So that has to be taken care off first. And almost January is still not January, not even in Australia, or is it? ??? (Now there

Written By: Josh2 on 12/31/05 at 6:10 am

What time zone we using for when votes end?

Written By: K1chyd on 12/31/05 at 8:57 am

What time zone we using for when votes end?

Time Zone? We

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/31/05 at 10:03 am

5 points - #3  Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament by Kristof Robertson

4 points - #12  The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing by Stuart McArthur

3 points - #18  Japanese Rice by wannabemustangjockey

2 points - #17  An Actor's Dilemma by Phil Alexander

1 point - #1    Salutary Man by Johnny D

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/31/05 at 10:15 am

The one who starts the voting thread, i.e usually Claude, is also usually the one that summons it up. If by the time it

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/31/05 at 12:54 pm

Thanks everybody for stepping in and dealing with this little matter.  We do have holiday visitors so my computer time has been severely limited (especially since one guest sleeps in the room w/ the computer -- dammit)

I am indeed thinking of extending the voting deadline this month, just to torture our young friend.  Okay, and because I've had trouble getting my own voting done. And because other people probably have stuff going on too.  Officially, "sometime Monday" (which in this part of the world comes after Sunday) is when I'm planning on closing the voting thread, so no one should do it before then unless every entrant has voted.

Thank you again and Happy New Year all.

Written By: 2nz on 12/31/05 at 4:45 pm

Thanks everybody for stepping in and dealing with this little matter.  We do have holiday visitors so my computer time has been severely limited (especially since one guest sleeps in the room w/ the computer -- dammit)

I am indeed thinking of extending the voting deadline this month, just to torture our young friend.  Okay, and because I've had trouble getting my own voting done. And because other people probably have stuff going on too.  Officially, "sometime Monday" (which in this part of the world comes after Sunday) is when I'm planning on closing the voting thread, so no one should do it before then unless every entrant has voted.

Thank you again and Happy New Year all.

Good call and thanks on behalf of the rest of us stragglers. ANd I second what JJ said about you ruling. I was gonna haul anus and get voting and commenting done before heading out tonight, but now I've got more time to digest the songs.

Thanks again and happy New Year to you all.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/01/06 at 10:59 pm

I am indeed thinking of extending the voting deadline this month, just to torture our young friend.

Hey, is that' young friend' me?!

Written By: 2nz on 01/02/06 at 1:36 am

After much deliberation and holiday cheer, here are my picks this month:

5 points: #10.  "Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis" by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

4 points: #18.  "Japanese Rice" by wannabemustangjockey

3 points:  #3.  "Me Depressed: Tarzan's Lament" by Kristof Robertson

2 points: #19.  "Transformers:  Cybertron" by the_conqueror_of_parodies

1 point:  #4.  "Fulla Plaque Girl" by Dumb *ss Kid

Seriously good stuff to all. Sometimes I hate comparing apples and oranges, but I respect the exposure it provides all of us.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/02/06 at 8:17 am

Five points to #12 (Stu)

Four points to #3 (Kristof)

Three points to #10 (Peter aka K1chyd)

Two points to #16 (2nz)

One point to #13 (Adam Eccleshall)

Great job everybody.

According to what I have, Arwen, Ethan, and Mikey still haven't voted.  I'll be closing the voting thread sometime this afternoon (I think), so there's still time. 

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/02/06 at 8:20 am

Hey, is that' young friend' me?!

Of course not.  And don't worry, you're not our "clueless young illiterate friend" either.  That's Spaff.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/02/06 at 1:42 pm

First Place:  #3 "Me Depressed:  Tarzan's Lament" by Kristof Robertson -- 52 points

Second Place:  #12 "The Tunes I Wish They Could Unsing" by Stu MacArthur -- 48 points

Third Place:  #10 "Santaclaustrophobia's My Psycho Diagnosis" by Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd -- 39 points

****************************************************************************************

2nz 24
Tim Mayfield 16
Phil Alexander 11
Adam Eccleshall 10
wannabemustangjockey 9
John Jenkins 8
Red Ant 7
Claude Prez 7
Dumb *ss Kid 5
Agrimorfee 3
ThaConquerorofparodies 2
matthias 2
Johnny D 1

Congratulations to Kristof, Stu, and Peter.  Apologies to all who busted *ss to get their voting done in time, only to see the deadline extended for a couple procrastinators.  I promise it will happen again.

As always, if my totals are wrong it's not intentional so just let me know.  Disqualifications this month include the lovely Arwen, the lovely Ethan, and the lovely Mikey.

Great month everybody!

Subject: Re: November Song of the Month Voting -- Voting closed; results posted

Written By: AdamEcc on 01/02/06 at 2:34 pm

Congratulations to Kristof, Stu and Peter  8)

Written By: Red Ant on 01/02/06 at 4:45 pm

Congrats to Kristof, Stu and Peter.  :)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/02/06 at 4:47 pm

That's odd - I thought I got no votes at all. Oh well. I guess my low votes were due to DKTOS. Hopefully, my next entry should not be the same case.

Written By: tmayfield on 01/02/06 at 5:27 pm

Congrats Kristof, Stu, K1 (and 2nz) :)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/02/06 at 6:35 pm

Wowsers! Thanks a bunch everyone for supporting this very, very silly song. Congrats to mi compadre del Aussie, Stu, for a closely fought battle, and to Peter, who just keeps getting better and better. I checked the SOTM winners for this year, and this is the first time there hasn't been an American on the podium....you better watch it guys; the NWATBOWA (Nations Who Aren't The Birthplace Of Weird Al) are comin' to get ya!  :D

Written By: K1chyd on 01/03/06 at 4:51 am

A big Thanx and an even bigger HNY (Happy New Year) to everyone that  participated!
Wow! My second bronze medal, maybe I

Written By: Morton on 01/03/06 at 9:23 am

Congratulations to Kristof, Stu, Peter, 2nz, Phil, Tim, Adam, wannabemustangjockey, John, Red Ant, Claude, Me, Agrimorfee, TheConqueror, Matthias and Johnny  :)

Great month all around

Written By: Arwen on 01/03/06 at 9:54 am

Disqualifications this month include the lovely Arwen...

Well, thanks for the adjective, Claude...that at least took some of the sting away...

I just couldn't get it done this month...as often as I thought about it...I just never got around to it.  Sorry to all...

Congratulations to the winners... :)

Written By: EthanM on 01/03/06 at 2:39 pm

sorry i couldn't make it either... I started but couldn't finish... such is the difficulty of mandatory commenting

Written By: K1chyd on 01/04/06 at 12:53 am

As a little bonus for everyone that enjoyed "Santaclaustrophobia..." I've now posted an alternative take (some of the rhymes and the general idea are the same, I'm just squeezing that little extra out of it that there wasn't room for in the choosen take) so that all of you that voted me all the way up to a bronze medal (Thanx Again!) will get further insight into my certifiable state, i.e that it was deserved (according to Amiright standards). ;)

"Smorgasborderline's my other psycho diagnosis":
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/julieandrewsmarypoppins0.shtml

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/04/06 at 10:21 am

Again, thanks to Claude for calling all the right shots so beautifully - and big congrats to Kristof.  It would have been an injustice if his sublime masterpiece hadn,t won - and congrats to Peter for another showcase of wonderful wordplay - and thanks to everyone who humoured my spleen-venting and gave me votes anyway :) 

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/05/06 at 11:06 pm

sorry i couldn't make it either... I started but couldn't finish... such is the difficulty of mandatory commenting

Come on. Once you've expended the effort to analyze a parody, it takes, what, 30 more seconds to leave a comment? Multiply that by the 18 other parodies in the contest, and leaving comments would have taken you (let me do the math here) NINE MINUTES. Sure, December was busy, but in the whole month you honestly couldn't find nine more minutes?

Now then. I suggested clear back on Nov 9 that y'all should save yourselves a whole bunch of trouble and simply name Kristof's "Me Depressed" the SOTM. I hate to say I told you so, but... no, actually, I don't hate to say that. I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO.

Congrats to Kristof, Stuart (who is arguably not clueless and/or heartless), and that Swedish dude.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...