inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SOTM 2005: Wildcard Round

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/02/06 at 8:20 am

Yes, I know you've all been waiting for it....
WILDCARD!!!!!   WILDCARD!!!   WILDCARD!!!

~~This comp is open to anyone who entered  SOTM in 2005, but did not place in the top 3 in any month.
If you entered SOTM in 2005 and your name is not on the below list, you can enter:
Spaff, Kristof, Rick C, Stuart, Peter (K1), Red Ant, Johnny D, Claude, Emiloca, MooRocca, Jeff, Dee, 2nz

~~Any song that was posted in 2005 but did not place in the top 3 is eligible. It does NOT have to be a previous SOTM entry

~~To enter, reply to this thread with the url of your entry.

~~On February 10, entries close and voting begins.

~~Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order: 
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until Feb 26.Yes, it's only 2 weeks, but all the parodies should be familiar to all, and since the Wildcard top 3 will be eligible for Parody Of The Year we want the comp to be wrapped up before March.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest past or present may vote. Those not entering Wildcard are positively encouraged to support the entrants with votes.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and vote on all the other entries. Comments are not necessary, but appreciated.

~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the designated period is disqualified and may not participate in February SOTM

Don't think I've left anything out...
GOOD LUCK!

Subject: Re: SOTM 2005: Wildcard Round

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/02/06 at 12:57 pm

"The Nativity", parody of "The Trial" by Pink Floyd
(note that "Plop!", attached to this entry, is not an official entry)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/pinkfloyd191.shtml

MIDI: http://www.free-midi.org/free-midi-files-pink-floyd-26.htm (scroll down to #21)
Original lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pink-floyd/108800.html

Written By: Matthias on 02/02/06 at 2:02 pm

Since You're King Kong...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/kellyclarkson62.shtml

Written By: adagio on 02/02/06 at 4:34 pm

"Off-Pitch Women"....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/eagles56.shtml

Written By: philbo on 02/02/06 at 5:37 pm

Does it have to be a SOTM entry, or would it be possible to enter one here that wasn't?  It's just that I had a couple of very hard choices to make in a couple of the contests last year, and it would be nice to give a "didn't quite make it" a chance.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/03/06 at 7:58 am

Does it have to be a SOTM entry, or would it be possible to enter one here that wasn't?  It's just that I had a couple of very hard choices to make in a couple of the contests last year, and it would be nice to give a "didn't quite make it" a chance.

Tough one, Phil. I sort of assumed that, since the best songs of the month are usually posted, that it would be a SOTM entry. I'm inclined to say that it would be OK to enter a nonSOTM, but I'll open the forum for 2 days to let people object. If there isn't a strong groundswell of objection by Sunday, I'll say yes to nonSOTM. But the rule re non-obligatory comments will have to stand.

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/03/06 at 9:06 am

If you entered SOTM in 2005 and your name is not on the below list, you can enter:
Spaff, Kristof, Rick C, Stuart, Peter (K1), Red Ant, Johnny D, Claude, Emiloca, MooRocca, Jeff, Dee, 2nz

Kristoff, are you saying that such legendary parodists as Phil Alexander, Arwen and Tim Mayfield (not to mention agrimorfee, Matthias, adagio, and others), did NOT have a top 3 parody in any 2005 SOTM contest???

In answer to Phil's question: It does seem that the purpose of the Wildcard Competition is to give a second chance to parodies that were entered during the year; but, if Phil (or anyone else who entered a 2005 SOTM contest) wants to enter a different parody, I think it should be permitted.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/03/06 at 9:59 am

For the record, I believe that last year songs that hadn't been entered already were not only permitted but actually encouraged, to increase the likelihood that they'd be competitive with the other Song of the Year entries.  But I'm so happy Kristof is running this that I'm not about to complain, whatever he decides.

Written By: K1chyd on 02/03/06 at 10:49 am

For the record, I believe that last year songs that hadn't been entered already were not only permitted but actually encouraged, to increase the likelihood that they'd be competitive with the other Song of the Year entries.  But I'm so happy Kristof is running this that I'm not about to complain, whatever he decides.

That's my recollection too, but don't just take my word for it: www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,5746.0.html

On another note: While quickly searching for the above I first stumbled upon the voting thread, and last year's Wild Card round was won by the 2004 (previous to that) big time loser Kristof Robertson. Now, with the 2005 results in our hands, we can all see how much damage that kind of encouragement has done to other deserving authors since that day. God forbid a new Wild Card round to kick start someone like that ever again! :P

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/03/06 at 12:20 pm

Kristoff, are you saying that such legendary parodists as Phil Alexander, Arwen and Tim Mayfield (not to mention Agrimorfee, Matthias, adagio, and others), did NOT have a top 3 parody in any 2005 SOTM contest???

You might notice that I myself have not placed top 3 in ANY SOTM. I feel like Susan Lucci, to be perfectly honest with you. :D

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 02/03/06 at 5:14 pm

Hello Parody Peeps... yes, it has been a while since I've been on here, but when I saw this contest for wildcard entries, how can I refuse?? Agri, I know what you mean about feeling like Susan Lucci. I entered a whole bunch of contests throughout 2005: SOTM, ABC, you name it. Unfortunately, I couldn't come close to placing in the top 3. Bottom 3, always. Well, yes I found it discouraging but now.. REDEMPTION TIME!!! :)
So I give you one of my non-entered parodies, I read this one again for the first time in a while, and I must admit this is good. How good, you may ask? Well, I guess that's up to you, the voters..

My entry is "Pilsbury Rolls"..
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/petergabriel25.shtml

Just remember.. Susan Lucci eventually DID win, even though I feel it was more of a sympathy win..
But I am OK with sympathy votes, just to let you know. ;)
Good luck to all!!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 02/03/06 at 7:38 pm

Ah, what the hell. If non-SOTM songs are allowed, I'll enter this one:

Homestar

Here's a video file (so far, NO-ONE on the web has an mp3 of TOS):

'Rock Star' by Bizarre (the fat guy from d12)

For the record, I believe that last year songs that hadn't been entered already were not only permitted but actually encouraged

Thanks very much Claude.

Written By: adagio on 02/03/06 at 7:46 pm

As far as non-SOTM entries, I'll go with the majority, although I am a SOTM LOSER!!!  ;D

Written By: K1chyd on 02/04/06 at 1:55 am

...are you saying that such legendary parodists as Phil Alexander, Arwen and Tim Mayfield (not to mention agrimorfee, Matthias, adagio, and others), did NOT have a top 3 parody in any 2005 SOTM contest???

I'd say Blame the Ancient Greeks and Romans! They invented the 3 medals culture thousands of years ago. They could have made it 5, or 10, but no - they went with gold, silver and bronze. Maybe they didn't have more than 3 fingers back then, I mean... just look at ancient numerals: I, II, III is followed by IV and not IIII, right? The Ancient Greeks also invented sodomy, poisoning great philosophers and Marathon running as a pastime activity. Go figure! :D

Written By: Arwen on 02/04/06 at 3:17 am

Kristoff, are you saying that such legendary parodists as...Arwen...did NOT have a top 3 parody in any 2005 SOTM contest???

Yeah, my mouth is gaping open, too...sheesh.   ;)

But I'll play...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/bachmanturneroverdrive21.shtml

Written By: philbo on 02/04/06 at 3:38 am

Kristoff, are you saying that such legendary parodists as Phil Alexander, Arwen and Tim Mayfield (not to mention agrimorfee, Matthias, adagio, and others), did NOT have a top 3 parody in any 2005 SOTM contest???

"Legendary"?   :-
Tough one, Phil. I sort of assumed that, since the best songs of the month are usually posted, that it would be a SOTM entry.

I can think of at least three occasions last year where I entered something slightly unusual rather than what was possibly the "best": e.g. the Hamlet parody.  Downside is, of course, that means I'd have to trawl through a whole year's submissions to decide...

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/04/06 at 5:49 am

Well, I guess the consensus is that nonSOTM parodies can be entered, so...what the heck, open season!! But I will stipulate that the parody has to be from 2005, OK?  ;). For anyone that entered before this post, feel free to go back and change your entry if you like, but only once. I'll amend the rules ASAP...Peace

Written By: larry on 02/04/06 at 11:52 am

"Daschund Dash":
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/bobbyborispickett6.shtml

Written By: Scathe on 02/04/06 at 11:41 pm

This is my May 2005 entry.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/janisian0.shtml

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/06/06 at 5:07 pm

A fat lot of good Eminem parodies have done me.
Here, chomp on another slice of conformity:

American Pie

Written By: philbo on 02/06/06 at 6:10 pm

One I didn't enter, first time around:

Driveway

Written By: Matthias on 02/06/06 at 7:17 pm

In that case I'm changing mind...
Sorry Kong, Baby but your history...

In it's place I'll put

Airline to Dayton
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/ledzeppelin53.shtml

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/06/06 at 11:05 pm

If Shrek's Mom Had Only Been Sterile

Written By: tmayfield on 02/21/06 at 7:15 am

...legendary parodists as Phil Alexander, Arwen and Tim Mayfield...

John, I know I owe all of my legendary status to the Amiright T-Shirt, oh, and the fact that my wife wears hers on the weekends when we are out shopping, dining, etc.

I do appreciate being lumped in with Phil and Arwen. They are like my heroes. You know it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you pay the emcee (or historian for that matter).

I regret not being able to participate much this year (and the next), but school and work and work and even more work is getting in the way of my life. I NEED a vacation so I can write a parody or two.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...