inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: January SOTM Voting Thread; Voting Closed, Results Posted

Written By: Red Ant on 02/09/06 at 2:56 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Extra Note: If you Don't Know The Original Song (DKTOS), many of the parodies in this month's contest have the song in one form or another (lyrics, MP3, MIDI, etc) either on this voting thread or in the comment section of the parody.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

1: Gee, George Dubya Bushy by Cat

Original music here

2: Chuck E. Cheese Symphony by Agrimorfee

Original Lyrics Here

MP3 On This Page

3: How To Make Your Lazy Husband Work... by Matthias

MIDI Here

4: Jesus 'I Am' Phrases by the_conqueror_of_parodies

MP3 Here

5: If You're Going To Strip Alfresco by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Original song can be found here

6: Steroids Are Forever by Max Power

7: ( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D

DKTOS? Click here to listen to a free (low bitrate) MP3 of "Satisfaction".

8: Entry withdrawn

9: Hotel The Old Bands Trashed by Larry Hensley

10: Doubting My Soul by Adagio

MIDI

11: Va-China! by Red Ant

12: The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander

13: Black In Back by Confission

midi

sound clip

14: TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey

15: Game Boy by Silver Power

Please let me know if any links are not working asap.

Subject: Re: January SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Cat on 02/09/06 at 4:08 pm

5 Points to Wannabemustangjockey for upstaging me politically and reminding me yet again that I had better do a Be Our Guest parody in the future.
4 Points to Matthias for his valiant instrumental effort, as well as potentially giving me good advice for the future.
3 Points to Phil Alexander for his hilarious leftover horror movie.
2 Points to Johnny D for his rockin' Egyptian tale.
1 Point to Larry for satisfying my appetite for various musical references.

Wow...I thought this month would be fairly light, but it was a lot tougher than I expected. Good work guys.

Written By: Max Power on 02/09/06 at 4:10 pm

1) Gee, George Dubya Bushy by Cat
2) Va-China! by Red Ant
3) The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander
4) ( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D
5) How To Make Your Lazy Husband Work... by Matthias

Written By: adagio on 02/10/06 at 7:57 am

5 points = Johnny

4 points = the_conquerer_of_ parodies

3 points = Red Ant

2 points = Wannabemustangjockey

1 point =  Max Power

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/10/06 at 8:00 am

This was an unusual round for me...2, count 'em, 2 political parodies were worthy IMHO of the top point spread.

5pts=wannabemustangjockey
4pts=Cat
3pts=Red Ant
2pts=Phil Axlexander
1pt=Dominic L

Written By: ThaConqueror on 02/10/06 at 8:39 pm

Less well known people this month...might have a chance ;D

Here goes:

1st: K1chyd
2nd: Dominic L.
3rd: Johnny D.
4th: Max Power
5th: wannabemustangjockey

Just a question, what time can I post the new entry thread? 'Cause I'd like to start the Feb thread.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/10/06 at 9:52 pm

Less well known people this month...might have a chance ;D

Just a question, what time can I post the new entry thread? 'Cause I'd like to start the Feb thread.

The Feb SOTM entry thread can be put up after the last AmiRight update in February. So, in about 3 weeks.

Written By: K1chyd on 02/11/06 at 10:00 am

"The Chicken Song" (for Phil's entry) can be found here (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

Oh, and it's a Real Player file:

www.mikefs.co.uk/music.html

(Scroll down to category number 2).

Written By: Confission on 02/12/06 at 1:54 pm

5 points = Va-China! by Red Ant
4 points = TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey
3 points = (Dry Man Gets No) Putrefaction by Johnny D
2 points = Chuck E. Cheese Symphony by Agrimorfee
1 point = If You're Going To Strip Alfresco by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd
0 points (honorable mention) = The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/13/06 at 3:17 am

Good luck, all! Though I'm giving SOTM a rest for January (and possibly February, unless I come up with something good in the next two weeks... :-\\), I may drop by and vote.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/16/06 at 10:16 pm

Despite 12 of last years' top 15 parodists not entering this month it still was an excellent round. More new faces than I've seen in quite a while. Anyways, here we go:

5 points to #12: The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander - One of the best food parodies I've ever read. This one gets better with age unlike those leftovers.

4 points to #13: Black In Back by Confission - One of the best poo parodies I've ever read, and, coincidentally, this scores the #2 spot with me.

3 points to #9: Hotel The Old Bands Trashed by Larry Hensley - A hell of an effort to work in everything you did on this song.

2 points to #8: Auditions... by Dominic L. - Not really a fan of TOS, AI or Simon Cowell but this idea and execution impressed me quite a bit. And I laughed.

1 point to #7: ( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D - If the Stones keep touring they should sing this instead of TOS. Great out-there idea.

Honorable mentions to all, I'd like to mention specific names but given the small field this month I'll refrain from doing so.

Written By: Cat on 02/22/06 at 4:49 pm

Hey people...you only have 6 days left to vote.

Hurry up if you don't want to be DQed!

Written By: Matthias on 02/22/06 at 9:05 pm

5 Points: The Turkey Song
4 Points: Va-China
3 Points: Chuck E. Cheese Symphony
2 Points: Hotel the Old Bands Trashed
1 Point: (Dry Man Gets No) Putrefaction

Written By: ThaConqueror on 02/23/06 at 1:59 am

The Feb SOTM entry thread can be put up after the last AmiRight update in February. So, in about 3 weeks.

What coincidence: that's on the 3rd of March, which is my birthday!

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/06 at 3:37 am

What coincidence: that's on the 3rd of March, which is my birthday!

Early Happy Birthday. If you want to put up the entry thread though you should have it up no later than the afternoon of the 1st otherwise someone else will beat you to it.

Hey people...you only have 6 days left to vote.

Hurry up if you don't want to be DQed!

I'm sure everyone will vote on time. Good reminder though since we are in the shortest month of the year.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/25/06 at 11:30 pm

what if I want to withdraw my parody? I don't even know five original songs on here.

Written By: K1chyd on 02/26/06 at 1:14 am

To avoid any misunderstandings among first time participants: I

Written By: Red Ant on 02/26/06 at 1:17 am

what if I want to withdraw my parody? I don't even know five original songs on here.

If you Don't Know The Original Song (DKTOS), many of the parodies in this month's contest have the song in one form or another (lyrics, MP3, MIDI, etc) either on this voting thread or in the comment section of the parody.

If it is too much trouble or you are unable to d/l then let me know and I'll remove your entry. You will forfeit any points you have accumulated this month and may be ineligible for Feb SOTM contest, though Claude would know more about the latter than I.

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/26/06 at 3:12 am

5 points for #1: Gee, George Dubya Bushy by Cat

4 points for #9: Hotel The Old Bands Trashed by Larry Hensley

3 points for #14: TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey

2 points for #11: Va-China! by Red Ant

1 point for #5: If You're Going To Strip Alfresco by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/26/06 at 8:13 pm

I can't do that... just take mine out.

I don't think I should be disqualified, because I'm not taking part of it?

Written By: Red Ant on 02/26/06 at 8:52 pm

I withdrew your entry.

As for a DQ for February, I am just filling in this month for Claude. I haven't been in a contest up until now where someone withdrew an entry after voting started. The rules state though:

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

While this rule was written for non-commenting it does seem to fit a withdrawn entry as well.

Since I do not have any other rules to go by nor is there really a precedent for a withdrawn entry I would be inclined to think this rule applies.

Regardless of whether or not whomever runs the Feb SOTM contest allows you to enter, you still forfeit any points you earned in this round. Sorry.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/26/06 at 9:23 pm

I withdrew your entry.

As for a DQ for February, I am just filling in this month for Claude. I haven't been in a contest up until now where someone withdrew an entry after voting started. The rules state though:

While this rule was written for non-commenting it does seem to fit a withdrawn entry as well.

Since I do not have any other rules to go by nor is there really a precedent for a withdrawn entry I would be inclined to think this rule applies.

Regardless of whether or not whomever runs the Feb SOTM contest allows you to enter, you still forfeit any points you earned in this round. Sorry.

Eh.. it's OK... I didn't even write any parodies this month.

Written By: Cat on 02/27/06 at 4:35 pm

But what about the people who voted for Dominic? Will they have to revote?

Written By: philbo on 02/27/06 at 5:45 pm

5 points - #1: Gee, George Dubya Bushy by Cat
4points - #14: TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey
3points - #5: If You're Going To Strip Alfresco by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd
2points - #7: ( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D
1point - #11: Va-China! by Red Ant

Those first two were very hard to separate: I gave the 5 points to Cat 'cause it's a much harder OS to parody.  But they're both extremely good.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/27/06 at 11:40 pm

But what about the people who voted for Dominic? Will they have to revote?

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

The only exception to this is if I had accidentally not included an entry from the entry thread and people had already voted. Given that we have just 1 day left now those who voted for Dominic's entry will neither be required nor have the option to revote (per existing rule cited above).

A rule change proposal may be in order for Feb SOTM to cover the majority' view on re-voting in case of withdrawn entries.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 02/28/06 at 2:12 am

Seems a bit quiet this month without a Spaff entry....

5pts - If You're Going to Strip Alfresco - Peter Andersson a.k.a. K1chyd
4pts - (Dry Man Gets No) Putrefaction - Johnny D
3pts - The Turkey Song - Phil Alexander
2pts - Jesus 'I Am' Phrases - the_conqueror_of_parodies
1pt - How to Make Your Lazy Husband Work - Matthias

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/28/06 at 4:01 am

Sorry I didn't chime in on this earlier, but the rules are pretty clear.  If you didn't want to participate, you should have said so sooner, or not entered in the first place.  "Withdrawing" after people have started voting is the same as disqualifying yourself.  Sorry.  If we start letting people "withdraw" instead of voting it will start happening a lot.

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/28/06 at 5:27 pm

Dom, Dom, Why couldn't you have tried reading these on their artistic merits even without mp3s or lyric texts? ???  Sometimes the best parodies I have read were ones that I didn't even know the song!

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/06 at 11:35 pm

Dom, Dom, Why couldn't you have tried reading these on their artistic merits even without mp3s or lyric texts? ???  Sometimes the best parodies I have read were ones that I didn't even know the song!

Agreed. I was going to suggest something similar but didn't want to have any possible conflict of interest with my reply.

The results will be up between 7-10 am EST. If the few who haven't voted already get their votes in before then they will count (besides, it's still Feb in most of the US right now).

Written By: larry on 03/01/06 at 3:02 am

5 Points for "The Turkey Song" Phil Alexander
4 Points for "If You're Going To Strip Alfresco" K1chyd
3 Points for "( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction" Johnny D
2 Points for "Chuck E. Cheese Symphony" Agrimorfee
1 Point for  "Steroids Are Forever" Max Power

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/06 at 5:48 am

I've doubled checked the figures, hopefully I can still do simple math correctly at 6am. If not, let me know. Here are the results for January SOTM:

1st place with 31 points: The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander

2nd place with 28 points: TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey

3rd place with 26 points( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D

and the rest:

Red Ant 25
Cat 19
Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd 19
Larry Hensley 10
Matthias 8
Agrimorfee 7
the_conqueror_of_parodies 6
Confission 4
Max Power 4
Adagio 1

Congratulations to Phil, wannbemustangjockey and Johnny D. Thanks to everyone who entered this month and commented/voted.

Two DQs this month, Dominic L withdrew and Silver Power did not vote in time. They are ineligible to participate in February SOTM.

Subject: Re: January SOTM Voting Thread; Voting Closed, Results Posted

Written By: adagio on 03/01/06 at 8:24 am

Congrats to Phil, wannbemustangjockey and Johnny D!

Written By: Cat on 03/01/06 at 10:40 am

Well, I made a valiant effort...:( And 5th place isn't THAT bad...(though I have high hopes for February)

But congrats to Phil for ending his '05 drought, and congrats to wannabemustangjockey on his first-ever SOTM win! (Oh, and Johnny D too. You're not left out, man.)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/01/06 at 10:01 pm

Congratulations Phil, wbmj, and Johnny.  And many thanks to Red Ant, who did an AWESOME job running the contest, and has officially agreed to continue doing so until further notice.  I'm not going anywhere; I'm just lazy.  But I hear he's gonna be enforcing deadlines and everything, so everybody make sure you read the guidelines carefully and vote promptly and stuff.  Great job all; see you in the Song of the Year Contest, coming soon!

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/06 at 11:05 pm

Congratulations Phil, wbmj, and Johnny.  And many thanks to Red Ant, who did an AWESOME job running the contest, and has officially agreed to continue doing so until further notice.  I'm not going anywhere; I'm just lazy.  But I hear he's gonna be enforcing deadlines and everything, so everybody make sure you read the guidelines carefully and vote promptly and stuff.  Great job all; see you in the Song of the Year Contest, coming soon!

Thanks Claude. You gave me a parody idea, so you might want to check AmIRight the next day or so if you aren't too much of a slacker.  ;)

I will hopefully do as good a job as Claude has. I do strongly encourage all to have their votes in by midnight of the last day of the contest and may sent out PMs reminding those who are pushing the deadline so they avoid a potential DQ. I enjoy procrastinating as much as the next person, but if an entrant hasn't reviewed/commented on a single parody by the last day of voting and asks for an extension, my answer is probably going to be no.

Written By: philbo on 03/02/06 at 4:06 am

<rises to the dais with a tear in his eye... clears throat>
Ladies and Gentlemen and fellow parody authors, first of all, I would like to thank Spaff, Kristof and Claude for not entering this month and giving the rest of us a chance... thanks, too, to Red Ant for running this: don't listen to Claude, he ain't that lazy otherwise he'd not have done the job for so long himself.  I'd also like to thank Philip Pope, the author of the OS who seems to get a near terminal case of embarrassment every time this song comes up in conversation, and this parody winning is going to give me no small amusement when I tell him ;).  Oh, yes, and Peter (K1chyd) Andersson for dropping a link to the OS, 'cause it ain't the most well-known song for people younger than me or living on the wrong side of the pond.  And to everyone who voted..

But seriously, it feels really strange, having been so nearly there all last year (as Spaff pointed out, I finished fourth four times last year, and fifth/sixth most of the others), to have started this year so positively.  I'll try and keep standards up...

I'm actually quite surprised I pipped wannabemj's Tyrant Fest: I thought that was a great concept, superbly executed (and a cracking OS to parody, too), and I think I'm going to have to start calling JD "mummy" from now on... OTOH, maybe not.  Well done everyone (as usual).

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/02/06 at 7:26 am

I am honored to share the medal-stand (yes, there WILL be medals again, folks!) with our gold (Philbo) and silver (wannabemustangjockey) medalists --- congratulations to you both! --- and thanks to everyone who bronzed the Rolling Stones' bones!

Written By: larry on 03/03/06 at 11:51 pm

Congrats Phil, wbmj, and Johnny.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 03/04/06 at 3:38 am

Yay! For once, I didn't lose miserabley! I beat 3 people!!! Okay, they aren't famous people, but who cares!!!!!

Written By: Cat on 03/04/06 at 1:46 pm

Yay! For once, I didn't lose miserabley! I beat 3 people!!! Okay, they aren't famous people, but who cares!!!!!

Adagio's pretty well-known...but her parodies are typically more serious, except for things like "Off-Pitch Women."

Check for new replies or respond here...