inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody comments....Pun of the Month Contest?

Written By: Dee Range on 04/26/06 at 7:39 pm

Some of the best humor on this site is on display everyday, when people comment on the parodies. Would anyone else be interested in starting, and running, a "Pun Of The Month" contest? The rules would be very simple. Anyone can nominate a 'comment' pun, except your own. Maybe a 'second' of the nomination, by anyone else, and the pun goes into the contest. Voting would be just like the SOTM voting. I think it would encourage reading, and commenting, on parodies, and could be hilarious. Comments? Tommy Turtle, you, being quite the punster, would be my choice to run the contest, if you like the idea and have the time.

Subject: Re: Parody comments....Pun of the Month Contest?

Written By: Cat on 04/26/06 at 10:12 pm

Eh, Dee, the big thing about this that would bother me is a lot of puns weren't actually invented by the punster, they were just borrowed from someone else. While a parody takes a lot of hard work, a pun can be thrown off in 5 seconds. So it doesn't seem quite as worthy.

And Tommy Turtle is a good parodist in general, why doesn't he participate on the message boards?

Written By: Dee Range on 04/26/06 at 11:11 pm

Cat, I talked to Tommy and he is too busy to run something like this, which is also why he hasn't joined the messageboard yet. He writes so many parodies, and with his work, he is pretty much maxed out.

As to your other point, which is a good one, we would have to make it original puns only, of which there are plenty. I agree that parodies are hard work, but a quick-witted pun can make me laugh just as hard as a good parody.

Anyway, it is just a thought, and will probably die on the vine, like most of my grape...er...great parody ideas. GROAN :D

Written By: Arwen on 04/27/06 at 12:36 pm

Ooooh...I think it's a great idea, Dee!  I, personally, consider myself to be quite the boring commenter, but I LOVE getting clever ones from others... :)

While a parody takes a lot of hard work, a pun can be thrown off in 5 seconds. So it doesn't seem quite as worthy.

Worthy of what?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/27/06 at 2:07 pm

Great idea, though I think getting someone to run the contest is going to be problematic. I believe that Jeff Reuben is, after the ABC SOTY voting, either going to pass the torch onto someone else or dissolve the ABC competition. IMHO getting someone to keep that contest alive should take priority over starting a new one. That someone will not be me though. I already head up SOTM and edit 5 sections for AmIRight.

Written By: Cat on 04/27/06 at 3:42 pm

Worthy of praise, at least, in my opinion.

And there really is no way to tell whether a pun is original or not...a lot of people think the same way.

Written By: Arwen on 04/27/06 at 4:35 pm

Well, I think if someone wants to start the contest, they should be able to start it...and if you don't think it's worthwhile, you don't have to participate.

People start random contests all the time...

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/27/06 at 5:25 pm

Seems to me to open this as "Comment of the Month". Puns make me giggle, but I have had some jollies out of other types of commentary, too. Why leave it just to puns? ;)

I will not be the master of this domain, but I offer these suggestions as the rules of the contest:

1. Anyone can nominate a Comment; anyone can vote in the Contest.

2. Nominations are Comments that have been placed in the Comments section for any parody, album cover parody, music news item, or whatnot on the Amiright web site in the previous month. Nominations are NOT selected by the author of the Comment.

3. Nominations are collected during the first 7 days of the next month (ie.. April 2006 nominations will be taken from May 1 through May 7 2006). A Comment should be appropriate to the subject at hand; not derogatory towards an Amiright participant, ethnic group or sexual lifestyle (all of which should be reported as Inappropriate Comments anyway); and be amusing and/or interesting.

4. On the 7th, the nominations are listed in the Contest MB as usual--with the entire comment, its author, its date, and a URL link to its appearance--and participants vote on their favorites in our established 5pt-1pt scale.

5. Voting is open from the 7th until the end of the month, and the judge counts all votes and presents the results on the 1st or 2nd day of the next month. (in our example, voting would be open til the 31st of May, then results are presented on June 1st or 2nd).

Sound good? Go ahead and shoot down any part of it or add to it as needed if this is something someone wants to do badly enough.

Written By: Dee Range on 04/30/06 at 3:27 pm

Seems to me to open this as "Comment of the Month". Puns make me giggle, but I have had some jollies out of other types of commentary, too. Why leave it just to puns? ;)

I will not be the master of this domain, but I offer these suggestions as the rules of the contest:

1. Anyone can nominate a Comment; anyone can vote in the Contest.

2. Nominations are Comments that have been placed in the Comments section for any parody, album cover parody, music news item, or whatnot on the Amiright web site in the previous month. Nominations are NOT selected by the author of the Comment.

3. Nominations are collected during the first 7 days of the next month (ie.. April 2006 nominations will be taken from May 1 through May 7 2006). A Comment should be appropriate to the subject at hand; not derogatory towards an Amiright participant, ethnic group or sexual lifestyle (all of which should be reported as Inappropriate Comments anyway); and be amusing and/or interesting.

4. On the 7th, the nominations are listed in the Contest MB as usual--with the entire comment, its author, its date, and a URL link to its appearance--and participants vote on their favorites in our established 5pt-1pt scale.

5. Voting is open from the 7th until the end of the month, and the judge counts all votes and presents the results on the 1st or 2nd day of the next month. (in our example, voting would be open til the 31st of May, then results are presented on June 1st or 2nd).

Sound good? Go ahead and shoot down any part of it or add to it as needed if this is something someone wants to do badly enough.

Agrimorphee, thanks for this list, and sorry I have not had time to reply earlier than this. Things are very hectic around the house right now.

I have no problem with anything on this list except number 2. I had envisioned this contest as a means to encourage voting/commenting  on parodies, which is where I spend the majority of my time, writing, commenting, and voting. This, in itself, is very time-consuming. I rarely have time to peruse other sections of Amiright, like the album cover parodies, music news, and other sections. I believe that would broaden the contest too much. There are enough daily puns under the parodies themselves to support a contest by themselves...heck, Between Airfarcewon, Tommy Turtle, John Barry, and Johnny D., not to mention Stuart Macarthur and Rick Cormier, there are enough great puns/comments to support a contest just among themselves. Anyway, I don't see enough support for this contest to ever get off the ground, but it was just a thought anyway. Thanks for replying.

Check for new replies or respond here...