inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summertime Blues

Written By: Matthias on 05/30/06 at 4:22 pm

Ah... Yes...
Tis the start of the summer holidays

Where people are burnt to a crisp, get sand in their swimsuits, and listen to their kids scream, and whine, "Are We There Yet?!"
But there are also the good parts of summer such as....
Uhm....
Well, there's always....
Hmmmm....
Lemme Think....

No School?
But once you're out of school there's really nothing great about the summer...

For now it is the time to whine, and bitch yourselves about how much these 500 degree days, with kid's over-priced lemonade, and your sprinkler system attracting all the rest of these snot nosed little buggers to your property, as well as that friggen annoying Ice Cream truck music...

Alright Here's The Rules
1. Each song must have to do with the reasons why Summer isn't all it's cracked out to be...
2. One song per person
3. Each song must be answered with a comment, No DKTOS... EVER!!!!!!!

Deadline
Submiting Ends: June 9th

Subject: Re: Summertime Blues

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/30/06 at 6:49 pm

WARNING: The author recommends the use of O.S.H.A.-Certified hearing protection equipment
when reading the following parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/donhenley21.shtml

;D

Written By: Matthias on 05/30/06 at 9:42 pm

What sucks about summer????
How about baseball...

MEND ALL OUR IMPOTENCE
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/donhenley35.shtml

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/30/06 at 9:51 pm

Johnny D: I bid a Don Henley parody!

Auctioneer: I hear one Don Henley parody, do I hear another?

Matthias: I bid a Don Henley parody, too!

Auctioneer: Thank you, thank you, we have TWO Don Henley parodies, does anybody DARE to make it THREE ?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/31/06 at 1:55 am

Auctioneer: Thank you, thank you, we have TWO Don Henley parodies, does anybody DARE to make it THREE ?

I won't, that's for sure (because I don't know who Don Heley IS). However, once I've finished 'I'm Not The Only Critic Of The New Console's Name Change To Wii', I might get crackin'  on this. Subject: something. OS: something.

Written By: Cat on 05/31/06 at 6:08 pm

The worst thing about summer? Three words: Cross Country Practice. Look for "Trudgin' Through The Park" to Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream" in a few days!

And waitaminute, Pieman....isn't it WINTER in your neck of the woods?!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/01/06 at 1:23 am

And waitaminute, Pieman....isn't it WINTER in your neck of the woods?!

And? I can still complain about summer...somehow.

Written By: Rex on 06/01/06 at 7:15 am

I have two that qualify, and I think I'll enter the other one. For a couple of reasons. One, Matthias mentions it (probably unintentionally) in his post that kicks off this contest, and it has fewer comments than the other so I want more feedback.

Are We There Yet? (to the tune of "Driver 8" by REM)

DKTOS? For the duration of this contest you can find it here.

Written By: Matthias on 06/01/06 at 8:55 am

Rex everything I ever utter is unintentional....

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/01/06 at 2:06 pm

Feel the warmth... :D

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thenormal0.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/03/06 at 2:50 am

Umm...any ideas? I can't think of what I hate about summer (since it ain't summer for me, though Cat already pointed that out), and even if I could, I couldn't think of a suitable OS to go with it. Help? Please?

Written By: Rex on 06/03/06 at 1:13 pm

Umm...any ideas? I can't think of what I hate about summer (since it ain't summer for me, though Cat already pointed that out), and even if I could, I couldn't think of a suitable OS to go with it. Help? Please?

"Sick of the Sun" to Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun"?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/03/06 at 9:59 pm

"Sick of the Sun" to Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun"?

But I like the sun...ooh! I know! Cat mentioned that it's actually WINTER right now for me...which means it's summer in December/January/February...which means I don't get no snow at Christmas! That's what I don't like about summer! It's Christmas and I don't get no freakin' snow! And I have to deal with American Christmas specials on the TV filled with snow! And my parody could be called "I Don't Get No Snow At Christmas" (no prize for guessing the OS!)! How's about that?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/03/06 at 10:59 pm

I intend to contribute, but I'm in a hotel in Palm Springs California at the moment and their internet charges are exorbitant, so I don't want to waste time scrolling thru my back catalogue - I'll be back in Oz on the 8th so I'll submit then

it's been 110 degrees here every day!!  In Australia it was only 40 - cannot cope with this :(

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/04/06 at 7:02 am

On second thoughts...screw it. I just won't be able to get the parody done in time (what with school and all). SORRY!!!

Written By: Cat on 06/04/06 at 7:46 am

I intend to contribute, but I'm in a hotel in Palm Springs California at the moment and their internet charges are exorbitant, so I don't want to waste time scrolling thru my back catalogue - I'll be back in Oz on the 8th so I'll submit then

it's been 110 degrees here every day!!  In Australia it was only 40 - cannot cope with this :(

Is that 40 degrees Fahrenheit or 40 degrees Celsius? ;)

Written By: Matthias on 06/04/06 at 9:23 am

Come on Pieman you got to contribute...
How about....
Frosty, No Snow, Damn....
Just a suggestion...

Written By: Rex on 06/04/06 at 10:55 am

But I like the sun...

Ah, young padawan, you do not always need to write parodies from your own point of view...  :)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/04/06 at 1:06 pm

Is that 40 degrees Fahrenheit or 40 degrees Celsius? ;)

40 Fahrenheit - which was just a guess - I always try to make everything I submit to  amiright  USA-friendly.

what I meant was it was bloody freezing cold when I left melbourne and now it's baking desert-hot.  I'm over here for a film festival so at least I spend most of my time indoors in air conditioning, but according to my "USA Today" Palm Springs took the title of hottest place in the USA yesterday at 111 degrees - similar forecast for today - even the hotel pool water is too hot - hmm that could be the theme for a summertime blues parody...

Written By: Red Ant on 06/04/06 at 4:01 pm

What sucks about summer? Yardwork!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aerosmith29.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/05/06 at 2:38 am

Come on Pieman you got to contribute...

Fine. I'm getting to it. I've decided to change my anger from "no-fair-I-don't-get'no'frickin'-snow" to "I-got-nothin-to-do-I'm-so-damn-BORED". Now...any hints for an OS? Hey, I'm lazy!

Written By: jreuben on 06/06/06 at 9:10 am

No hockey in summertime  :(

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/bonnietyler16.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/07/06 at 7:53 am

Fine. I'm getting to it. I've decided to change my anger from "no-fair-I-don't-get'no'frickin'-snow" to "I-got-nothin-to-do-I'm-so-damn-BORED". Now...any hints for an OS? Hey, I'm lazy!

"Bored" In the USA?
"Bored" Under A Bad Sign?
"Bored Because of Summer" (sung to Olivia Newton John's "Torn Between Two Lovers")?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/07/06 at 2:17 pm

You could do "Summer in Austrailia" to "Summer in the City", though finding relevant rhymes for Austrailia would be difficult.

or "Boredom Drives Me Crazy" to Bon Jovi's "Born To Be My Baby".

or my choice, if I didn't already have an entry, would be "Summer Sucks" to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/07/06 at 3:13 pm

You could do "Summer in Austrailia" to "Summer in the City", though finding relevant rhymes for Austrailia would be difficult.

Azalea

Assail ya

Regalia

Vidalia

Genitalia

Bacchanalia

Saturnalia

Paraphernalia

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/07/06 at 5:07 pm

Azalea

Assail ya

Regalia

Vidalia

Genitalia

Bacchanalia

Saturnalia

Paraphernalia

I Jail Ya

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/07/06 at 8:26 pm

Azalea

Assail ya

Regalia

Vidalia

Genitalia

Bacchanalia

Saturnalia

Paraphernalia

are you omitting "failure" just to be polite, JD? (no, that doesn't sound right) - it's a common Aussie joke that the only 2 words that rhyme with Australia are genitalia and failure - although I guess, because you Yanks pronounce the "r" in failure, I guess that doesn't rhyme over there anyway...

my submission Matthias...

Hot Sand

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/08/06 at 2:31 am

Thank you all for the ideas. Unfortunately, I have just submitted my parody "Damn! I've Nothing To Do" (no prizes for guessing what the OS is). I think that I should mention that I don't know any of your suggestions (except Thunderstruck, but only how to play it on the guitar :P). Hopefully, I'll be able to post up the link in time.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/08/06 at 2:34 am

Thank you all for the ideas. Unfortunately, I have just submitted my parody "Damn! I've Nothing To Do" (no prizes for guessing what the OS is). I think that I should mention that I don't know any of your suggestions (except Thunderstruck, but only how to play it on the guitar :P). Hopefully, I'll be able to post up the link in time.

What?  No prize for guessing that the OS is by Spit'any Beers?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/08/06 at 2:58 am

What?  No prize for guessing that the OS is by Spit'any Beers?

Smartass. The reason for saying 'no prize' is that its so FREAKING OBVIOUS! To me, anyway. And you ;D.

Written By: Cat on 06/08/06 at 5:39 pm

Sorry I haven't submitted yet, and I know the deadline's tomorrow, but I was in Cheesehead Land (aka Wisconsin) for the past few days, and I'm almost done with my piece...it should be up tomorrow once I finish it.

(EDIT: Just submitted it!)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/09/06 at 1:15 am

Here it is:

Damn! I've Nothing To Do

Have fun!

Written By: Cat on 06/09/06 at 10:16 am

And here's my entry:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tompettytheheartbreakers10.shtml

Written By: Matthias on 06/09/06 at 10:31 am

SUBMITTIONS CLOSED!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...