inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the great parody challenge

Written By: tomario on 06/27/06 at 6:26 pm

:)

think you can write a good parody ?  :)

think you can gain the adulation of your fellow parodeers  :o

think you can parody any song  :-\\

well come and join the toughest parody contest on the site !

what do i have to do i hear you ask  ???

well it's simple all you have to do is write a parody

the catch is the song you have to parody will be chosen by your fellow contestants.

???confused well don't be.here is how it works

to enter the contest you leave a post on this thread volunteering to join in
also on your post include a song you would like someone to parody.

i'll give it a week for  people to enter

then i will draw the names and songs(making sure you don't get the one you suggested)
and post them here.

then you have two weeks to parody the song allocated.

voting will be as usual, leave comments then mark your top five favourites

5 for the best 4 3 2 1 ect

to avoid dkots please choose classic or unashamedly commercial songs

any probs just let me know.

look forward to you all volunteering

thank you for your time

as you can see i have started the ball rolling.......

Subject: Re: the great parody challenge

Written By: tomario on 06/27/06 at 6:29 pm

hi me i would like to volunteer and the song i chose is :-

"BREAKAWAY"-Kelly Clarkson.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/27/06 at 7:30 pm

excellent idea, tomario! I'm in.

My challenging-but-well-known submission is "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles

Written By: Cat on 06/27/06 at 8:31 pm

I did this one a long time ago, but it's pretty difficult, yet at the same time it's a really fun OS. Not enough people have done it!

"Gee, Officer Krupke" from the West Side Story soundtrack.

And if there's a DKTOS factor I can supply a sound file to anyone who wants it. :) You can probably find lyrics really quickly via Google.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/27/06 at 9:43 pm

I'm definitely in. As for my song pick, I'm tempted to make someone parody an Alice in Chains' song, but I'll pick something that shouldn't be a DKTOS:

Enter Sandman by Metallica!

Yes, there will be metal in this competition!

Should the person who draws my pick not know Enter Sandman, I begrudgingly give "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as my second pick.

EDIT: Temptation got the best of me. As an alternate pick, ANY Alice in Chains' song is acceptable. Major major bonus points for "Rotten Apple" or "Whale and Wasp".

If whomever is DKTOS on all my picks, PM me and I'll write out a complete and accurate set of lyrics and send them to you. That is, except for "Whale and Wasp", for it's an instrumental.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/27/06 at 10:35 pm

I'm replacing my previous entry with a world-famous centuries-old classic:

"The Hallelujah Chorus" by Georg Friedrich Handel

Original lyrics and recordings are widely available!

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/28/06 at 8:03 am

You may be surprised to know that i DKTOS of "Breakaway"...but not knowing a song should not make a difference to a good parody writer, as long as an accurate lyric webpage might be available. (I haven't heard many of the Prince songs I have parodied, for example). I hope no one contributes a "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "American Pie" or "Modern Major General"--that would be cruel!

I challenge someone to do "Rock Lobster" by The B-52s! I have had a notion to do it, but just haven't gotten that "spark" to finish it. Let's see you do it!

And, here's the lyrics: 
http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20B-52's%20Lyrics/Rock%20Lobster%20Lyrics.html

Written By: Matthias on 06/28/06 at 2:59 pm

Agrimorfee.... I'll take your B-52s and raise you a "Paradise in the Dashboard Lights" by Meat Loaf

Written By: Step-chan on 06/28/06 at 5:37 pm

Count me in...... :)

Let's see.... something that won't get DKTOS.

How about The Beatle's Penny Lane?

If not, second choice Nirvana's Lithium, which should be disregarded if the first choice is good.
;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/29/06 at 9:07 am

Boy howdy! This looks like fun...count me in

And my song nomination is Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat from Guys And Dolls

See you all in the trenches!

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/29/06 at 2:40 pm

Agrimorfee.... I'll take your B-52s and raise you a "Paradise in the Dashboard Lights" by Meat Loaf

Gulp!  :o ;D

Written By: Cat on 06/29/06 at 3:33 pm

Wait...isn't Tomario the one who picks them for us, is it not?

Written By: tomario on 06/29/06 at 5:20 pm

indeed i do well i  will do a draw

on tuesday 9am gmt and post asap.

i hope this clarifies things a bit.

Written By: Matthias on 06/29/06 at 10:26 pm

Shouldn't we get to vote on the song we all use?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/29/06 at 11:50 pm

Shouldn't we get to vote on the song we all use?

think of it as a sort of amiright "Kris Kringle" - with tomario presiding over the order of OS distribution

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/30/06 at 1:47 am

Ooh, this is gonna be murder. Cat suggested to me that I submit a complex rap song. I responded along the lines of "MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!". Try this:

Like Toy Soldiers by Eminem

Cat said complex. And I'm givin' ya complex. Don't believe me? Here. Just cuz I'm nice (as usual).

Written By: tomario on 06/30/06 at 2:43 am

think of it as a sort of amiright "Kris Kringle" - with tomario presiding over the order of OS distribution

ho ho ho !

the idea of this contest is that it is totally random
and it gives the parodeers the chance to show their skills
at paroding  a song they probably wouldn't normaly do.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/30/06 at 2:51 am

ho ho ho !

the idea of this contest is that it is totally random
and it gives the parodeers the chance to show their skills
at paroding  a song they probably wouldn't normaly do.

This is a great contest idea Tomario. I had, a long while back, discussed such a contest with K1chyd. I can't remember the exact reason I never followed up on it, but I'm glad you've got it going now!

I hope this contest cures me of the worst case of writers block I've ever had. Either that or it'll kill me!  ;)

Written By: philbo on 06/30/06 at 5:09 am

This is a great contest idea Tomario.

I agree - the idea is an excellent one.  It's nearly enough for me to break my self-imposed restriction of only doing the SOTM competition.  It's not the parody writing that's the problem, it's the time spent reading 'em all.

I hope this contest cures me of the worst case of writers block I've ever had. Either that or it'll kill me!  ;)

I've always found that this is exactly what these sorts of competitions do.. but if your last SOTM entry is anything to go by, if this is writers block then heaven help the rest of us when you come out of it ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/30/06 at 7:44 am

indeed i do well i  will do a draw

on tuesday 9am gmt and post asap.

i hope this clarifies things a bit.

Crap, I just realized this is starting while I'm on vacation without Internet access for a week. I won't be in from 7/3-7/10.  What's our deadline?

Written By: jreuben on 06/30/06 at 10:35 am

I'm in.  I'll change my OS so I'm not lobbing a softball up here...it's now

"Piano Man" by Billy Joel

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/30/06 at 10:48 am

I'm tipping a machine-gun-like cacophony of "d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!"
within seconds of tomario posting the parody allocations

Written By: Cat on 06/30/06 at 1:10 pm

Would it be legal to help out your stuck fellow parodists by giving title suggestions once the OSes are assigned?

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 2:53 pm

I"m interested.  I have been contemplating joining the parody writing contingent for some time...
I just wonder if a contest is a good way to begin..

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 3:23 pm

I"m interested.  I have been contemplating joining the parody writing contingent for some time...
I just wonder if a contest is a good way to begin..

EGADS!  We think alike.  Me too.  Same thought.  What do you guys think?  Thing is, if we're not in a contest, K, do you think we'll ever actually write something?

What do you all say?  Is this a place for Newbies?

Written By: Cat on 06/30/06 at 3:32 pm

Well...if you're incredibly BRAVE newbies then go right ahead.

But if you've never written a parody before I wouldn't advise it.

But at the same time, I'm not the only person here. What do the rest of you guys think?

Written By: tomario on 06/30/06 at 5:30 pm

seems i've caused a bit of a cafuffle.the closing date is tuesday 4th.and parodies to be posted by the following tuesday 11th .and voting  will start when i post the list of entrants,voting will last a week and only those who have entered can vote.
i'm quite happy for newbies to enter although they must be prepared for honest comments and no marks
that said there are some nasty little tunes here and if you get a nice one who knows ???
if people would like help then i suggest contestants post a yes or no vote as to wether we allow it.
majority rules 8)

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/30/06 at 7:18 pm

seems i've caused a bit of a cafuffle.the closing date is tuesday 4th.and parodies to be posted by the following tuesday 11th .and voting  will start when i post the list of entrants,voting will last a week and only those who have entered can vote.
i'm quite happy for newbies to enter although they must be prepared for honest comments and no marks
that said there are some nasty little tunes here and if you get a nice one who knows ???
if people would like help then i suggest contestants post a yes or no vote as to wether we allow it.
majority rules 8)

I vote yes for being allowed to give help to whoever requests it --- we're all just having fun and goofing around --- let's be free and easy!   :)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/30/06 at 8:37 pm

Tomario: Once the songs are randomly picked, we still have two weeks to write them, correct?

As for the issue of helping with titles, I agree with Johnny D (I vote yes to allowing help).

To CeeKay and KKay: Writing a song at your own pace that you pick is hard enough, writing one that is randomly chosen and on a two week completion deadline ramps up the difficulty quite a bit. But, by all means, enter if you think you're up to it!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/01/06 at 2:25 am

ah, warnings schwarnings, Ceekay and Kkay!  Don't worry about it. Jump right in!  You might write a good parody or you might write a bad one.  Either way it doesn't matter, and you could get hooked - like the rest of us poor souls :-\\

Written By: philbo on 07/01/06 at 4:14 am

What do you all say?  Is this a place for Newbies?

Just to throw my ha'p'orth in with the others: if you're picking a competition for which to write a first parody, this is possibly the worst one you could go for.  It's going to be challenging for the best of us (there's some really tricky songs in there - I should know, I've got three of 'em on the drawing board at the moment).  I don't mean to be belittling, but I would recommend starting with something a little easier.

Written By: tomario on 07/01/06 at 7:48 am

I vote yes for being allowed to give help to whoever requests it --- we're all just having fun and goofing around --- let's be free and easy!   :)

thats what its all about having fun im sure we've all written a dodgy parody.

and because its a toughie i will give you two weeks to enter (thanks red ant i was being miserly)  so the closing date for enteries will be 18th july voting will start when i've posted the voting thread.

and i'm sure there will be lots of help for everyone not just the newbies

Written By: Scathe on 07/03/06 at 7:48 pm

This is different and interesting.  I'm in.  :)  How about Lean On Me for a song suggestion.
My only concern is ending up with a song that I'm not comfortable spoofing, but the odds of that seem slim.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/04/06 at 11:23 am

I did this one a long time ago, but it's pretty difficult, yet at the same time it's a really fun OS. Not enough people have done it!

"Gee, Officer Krupke" from the West Side Story soundtrack.

And if there's a DKTOS factor I can supply a sound file to anyone who wants it. :) You can probably find lyrics really quickly via Google.

Hi Cat --- please tell me where I can download that sound file, thanks!  Or, if you want to email it to me, the last part of my email address is @yahoo.com and the first part is jsmallemail-dopey

Thanks!

JD

Written By: Cat on 07/04/06 at 12:42 pm

JD, here it is. I just sent it to a junk account of mine so I don't need your email:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=860151037513664E

Check for new replies or respond here...