inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the great parody contest----draw

Written By: tomario on 07/04/06 at 3:39 am

well here it is the dreaded draw please use this thread if you want to offer / request help i think some of us will need it....

here goes

stu mcarthur  - penny lane

cat -  piano man

johnny d  -  gee officer krupke

agrimofee  - paradise by the dashboard light

matthias  -  hallelujah chorus

step-chan  - breakaway

kristof robertson  -  lean on me

the conquerer o -  sit down your rockin the boat

jeff reuben  -  like toy soldiers

scathe  -  hit the road jack

red ant  -  rock lobster

tomario  - enter sandman

you have two whole weeks to submit your parody closing date 18th july

please use this thread for any questions

good luck to all

Subject: Re: the great parody contest----draw

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/04/06 at 10:20 am

stu mcarthur  - penny lane

d'oh!!

Written By: Cat on 07/04/06 at 10:40 am

(thank you thank you thank you!)

I'm actually glad I got Piano Man. It seems pretty manageable compared to some of the others on here. And being that I just finished a much harder Billy Joel song, this should be a cinch in comparison. After checking to make sure nobody did it, I think Johnny D's spirit has possessed me to try an Ahnold-themed parody of it, called "Girly Man."

Man...I really feel sorry for poor Jeff. If I was to do that monster, I probably would have done something along the lines of "Like Fast Talkers," since that pretty much gives you license to write a parody consisting entirely of nonsense.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/04/06 at 11:17 am

johnny d  -  gee officer krupke

Yee-HAW !!  ;D  Master Thespian draws a Broadway show-tune!  The stars must be aligned with Uranus!  And if they're not, they WILL be when I'm finished with THAT song!  Heh heh heh  ;D

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/04/06 at 11:56 am

kristof robertson  -  lean on me

Hmmmmmm.....first reaction; relief, as I know (and like) the song. second reaction; it doesn't give me a hell of a lot to work with....oh well!

Written By: Red Ant on 07/04/06 at 12:11 pm

red ant  -  rock lobster

First reaction: I DKTOS, and the title seems to have limited subs. Second reaction: I really feel bad for Jeff, whose song is harder than any of the "Big 7".

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/liketoysoldiers.html

At least bobpiecheese didn't enter "Sing For The Moment"......

Man...I really feel sorry for poor Jeff. If I was to do that monster, I probably would have done something along the lines of "Like Fast Talkers," since that pretty much gives you license to write a parody consisting entirely of nonsense.

That's pretty much what I would have done with it ("Damn Rap Lyrics"), though I did have the title "My Boy Boulders" floating around in my head. Don't ask!

Written By: Cat on 07/04/06 at 12:46 pm

Hey Red Ant, I have the OS if you want it. And I kind of wanted that one actually, the title I had in mind was "Mocked Mobster," i.e. a Mafia guy with some rather unconventional practices, and everyone makes fun of him for that.

Oh, and even though I know my OS pretty well, a song file would be much appreciated!!

Written By: jreuben on 07/04/06 at 4:38 pm

ZOINKS!!!  I'll either go with one of the ideas above, or a really long narrative parody.  Stay tuned  :)

Written By: tomario on 07/04/06 at 5:31 pm

listened to the song about four times now and my ears are bleeding  thanks red ant :o

Written By: Matthias on 07/04/06 at 5:35 pm

First Reaction: Hallelujah!!!! I mean... crap, this song is hard.... At least I have a few ideas....
1. Halle Berry!!!
2. Oompa Loompa!
3. Daili Llama
4. Willie Wonka...

Written By: Red Ant on 07/04/06 at 10:28 pm

Wow, "Rock Lobster" is a 6.4 Mb file at a 128 bitrate.  :o That's a long song.

ZOINKS!!!  I'll either go with one of the ideas above, or a really long narrative parody.  Stay tuned  :)

Don't forget your rhyming dictionary!

listened to the song about four times now and my ears are bleeding  thanks red ant :o

Glad you listened to it, because lyrics sheets on the 'net for that song aren't too good, especially for the 'prayer' part.

And don't worry about the ears, I was deaf for two days after seeing them in Tampa in '94. You'll recover.

First Reaction: Hallelujah!!!! I mean... crap, this song is hard.... At least I have a few ideas....
1. Halle Berry!!!
2. Oompa Loompa!
3. Daili Llama
4. Willie Wonka...

How about "Gonorrhea!" (Dave Chappelle already did "Diarrhea", if it's the same song I am thinking about)

Written By: Matthias on 07/05/06 at 12:45 am

Jack... That's a good one.......... Man.... I have something thinking to do now!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/05/06 at 2:13 am

cat -  piano man

the conquerer o -  sit down your rockin the boat

jeff reuben  -  like toy soldiers

These three picks got me the most interested. Cat because she got off easy, me, because I've NEVER heard the OS (by the way, I'll need an mp3...badly), and Jeff because...oh, man, he's in for it! He can partly blame me because I put that in the draw hat, and partly blame Cat for telling me to submit a complex rap song. Remember Jeff, I left an OS on the original thread. Just cuz I'm so nice and all that.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/05/06 at 7:31 am

These three picks got me the most interested. Cat because she got off easy, me, because I've NEVER heard the OS (by the way, I'll need an mp3...badly), and Jeff because...oh, man, he's in for it! He can partly blame me because I put that in the draw hat, and partly blame Cat for telling me to submit a complex rap song. Remember Jeff, I left an OS on the original thread. Just cuz I'm so noce and all that.

I'll dig you up an mp3 sharpish, conqueror. It may be not your usual style of OS, but man, are you going to have fun with it!

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/06 at 10:51 am

These three picks got me the most interested. Cat because she got off easy, me, because I've NEVER heard the OS (by the way, I'll need an mp3...badly), and Jeff because...oh, man, he's in for it! He can partly blame me because I put that in the draw hat, and partly blame Cat for telling me to submit a complex rap song. Remember Jeff, I left an OS on the original thread. Just cuz I'm so noce and all that.

It's Kharma.  I haven't done any of the big three so I get to do this.  Not sure about the big seven...what are songs 4-7?  Have to find that thread.

Thanks for the OS...I'll take the next two days just to read through it  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/05/06 at 1:03 pm

It's Kharma.  I haven't done any of the big three so I get to do this.  Not sure about the big seven...what are songs 4-7?  Have to find that thread.

Thanks for the OS...I'll take the next two days just to read through it  :)

Here's that thread:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19397.0.html

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/05/06 at 1:11 pm

Damn! I meant to enter this, it sounds like a BLAST!!! I went away for the weekend and forgot all about it.

Kudos to Tomario for this splendid idea for a contest.

I guess I'll have to stay tuned for the results of this round and hope for another to follow.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/06 at 1:50 pm

I got Breakaway. Who is that by again? Kelly Clakson? That means I'll have to buy the CD, this is the fourth time I've had to buy a CD for a contest.

:D :D :D :D :D

BTW, which album is it on?

Edit: Just checked: It's the same as the song's name.

Written By: jreuben on 07/05/06 at 1:52 pm

Here's that thread:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19397.0.html

Thanks!  Now I can say I'm 0 for 7 with confidence!

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/06 at 2:04 pm

First reaction: I DKTOS, and the title seems to have limited subs. Second reaction: I really feel bad for Jeff, whose song is harder than any of the "Big 7".

My reaction for mine too, I'll have to buy the CD.....

For some reason I felt that there was a stronge chance I was going to get that song too(Breakaway), I don't know why. Maybe I have alittle bit of psychic powers(I guessed that one of Howard's potential Rising signs was Aries, and it turned out to be just that).

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/06/06 at 2:18 am

Submitted for the next posting:

"Please, Sausager Stuffski"

And here it is:

http://amiright.com/parody/60s/westsidestorysoundtrack7.shtml

Written By: Matthias on 07/06/06 at 5:19 pm

I won't be here tomorrow. Vacation in Arizona.
Hoo-Boy!
So I'm posting my song today. I however probably won't have time to move it to this forum before I leave tomorrow, plane leaves at 9 in the morning.
Oy, Vey!

So if someone would be kind enough to put my parody into this forum for me I would be much abliged...

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/07/06 at 2:00 am

Hey Red Ant, I have the OS if you want it. And I kind of wanted that one actually, the title I had in mind was "Mocked Mobster," i.e. a Mafia guy with some rather unconventional practices, and everyone makes fun of him for that.

Oh, and even though I know my OS pretty well, a song file would be much appreciated!!

Here ya go, cuz I'm nice: Piano Man.

Oh, and hurry up, will ya Kristof? I really need that mp3. I always use a song file to use for my parodies. It helps to nail the pacing that a simple lyrics sheet can't provide. So GET ON WITH IT!! I can't find one myself. So...GIVE!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/07/06 at 9:51 am

Here ya go, cuz I'm nice: Piano Man.

Oh, and hurry up, will ya Kristof? I really need that mp3. I always use a song file to use for my parodies. It helps to nail the pacing that a simple lyrics sheet can't provide. So GET ON WITH IT!! I can't find one myself. So...GIVE!

I hope this works c-o-p:

https://www7.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=xdxMiJN5EM6J7mSeKZqD5cZL

It's there for 3 days!

Written By: Cat on 07/07/06 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Pieman, but I was able to find one on Altavista so yeah.

Written By: Cat on 07/07/06 at 5:15 pm

I won't be here tomorrow. Vacation in Arizona.
Hoo-Boy!
So I'm posting my song today. I however probably won't have time to move it to this forum before I leave tomorrow, plane leaves at 9 in the morning.
Oy, Vey!

So if someone would be kind enough to put my parody into this forum for me I would be much abliged...

Sure thing, Matthias:

Oompa Loompa Riot

(and remember, this is Matthias' parody, not mine! I'm going to try and write mine tonight...)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/07/06 at 7:25 pm

I hope this works c-o-p:

https://www7.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=xdxMiJN5EM6J7mSeKZqD5cZL

It's there for 3 days!

Bugger! It's stopped working! So...um...

CRAP!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/10/06 at 7:25 am

I think the stars were aligned for me to do "Paradise"...whilst on vacation all of last week, I had a few quiet moments where my mind suddenly gave me one or two very small ideas. Only came back to my office 5 minutes ago to learn my assignment. Hopefully, I will get this done on the deadline (along with the other stuff that I have to do in the real world!)

Good luck all! 8)

(AGGIE goes to original parody contest thread, then returns here with EDIT:)

Tomario said:
seems i've caused a bit of a cafuffle.the closing date is tuesday 4th.and parodies to be posted by the following tuesday 11th .and voting  will start when i post the list of entrants,voting will last a week and only those who have entered can vote.

He also said, on the opening of this contest:
then you have two weeks to parody the song allocated.

If Tuesday the 11th is the deadline, there is no way I can complete my entry.  :-[ :\'(

Written By: jreuben on 07/10/06 at 8:55 am

I'm pretty sure, according to the other thread, that the deadline is July 18th.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/10/06 at 9:41 am

I'm pretty sure, according to the other thread, that the deadline is July 18th.

If my eyes are wrong, oopsie. Thanks for the update, JR.  8)

Written By: jreuben on 07/10/06 at 10:13 am

If my eyes are wrong, oopsie. Thanks for the update, JR.  8)

Two weeks from when the song is allocated, which would be two weeks from July 4th, which would be the 18th.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/10/06 at 2:50 pm

Oh, yeah! Tomario, when I submit parodies, I go by my real name, Stephen Harrington. Just so there isn't any confusion when I submit mine.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/10/06 at 7:38 pm

Finally, I have an mp3 of "Sit Down, You're Rocking The Boat". Thanks a lot, Kristof! I shall work on my parody and submit it very soon. My current working title is "Shaddup, And Wait For Your Turn!" I have no idea what that means, but here's hoping it's a good one!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/11/06 at 10:25 pm

Finally, I have an mp3 of "Sit Down, You're Rocking The Boat". Thanks a lot, Kristof! I shall work on my parody and submit it very soon. My current working title is "Shaddup, And Wait For Your Turn!" I have no idea what that means, but here's hoping it's a good one!

As it turns/turned out, it means that "I" wouldn't shut up when it wasn't my go on Wheel Of Fortune. Here ya go:

Shaddup, And Wait For Your Turn!

Have fun!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/11/06 at 11:04 pm

my entry too has set sail....

to "Penny Lane"

Getting Slain

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/12/06 at 7:51 am

"Paradise By The Dashboard Light" is turning into a chronicle of a bad camping trip...a work in progress... ???

Written By: Cat on 07/12/06 at 8:32 am

Durr, I'm still working on mine, but at least now I have time to finish it. It might very well come up on the site when I'm away (I leave on the 16th) so if that's the case, could someone put mine up as well?

(Edit: Just finished it, FINALLY. Will post here tomorrow. Its official title is "Guhlee Mahn.")

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/13/06 at 9:00 am

Here's mine!! Gosh, "Lean On Me" was much harder to do than I expected....I hope some will enjoy it (and possibly even relate to it)

Lean On Tree (12 Beer Soul)

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/14/06 at 7:48 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/meatloaf23.shtml
"No Paradise At the Old Campsite".

Good luck.

Written By: Cat on 07/14/06 at 8:38 am

Finally, here's my entry for the contest:

Guhlee Mahn

Written By: Red Ant on 07/15/06 at 2:47 am

Well, mine is finally done! Writing to 7 minutes' worth of wholly nonsensical, and, for the most part, misrhymed lyrics about candy has proven both frustrating and fun. Thankfully this song has a cool beat to it.

I'll check out the rest of y'alls come contest time.

*looks for signs of life Jeff's way*

;)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/15/06 at 1:49 pm

Here's mine!:

Gobstoppers

Written By: Step-chan on 07/17/06 at 4:11 pm

Mine will be up tommorrow, so I'll post it here. :)

Written By: tomario on 07/17/06 at 6:44 pm

hello everyone sorry i havent posted for a while been having my dodgy shoulders sorted.
i must admit this was a lot harder than  i thought it would be this was more like work than the usual care free approach that i take.i started it before i went to hospital but i have finished it without listening to the song so i am not very pleased(who chose the dead-line anyway?   ::) ) i will post the voting thread on wednesday mid - morning ish.
did anyone else find it different to their normal parody writing ?

ENTER HANGMAN

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/metallica50.shtml

Written By: Step-chan on 07/17/06 at 6:53 pm

Not really, I'm the most experienced Nirvana parody author(69 entries), but I've done other bands. This is the first time I had to buy a Kelly Clarkson CD, I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/17/06 at 7:48 pm

Oh, definitely. Usually I do rap songs, or rock songs, or occasionally pop songs that I KNOW. The OS I had to do this time...I was completely lost. I had never heard of the OS...I hadn't even heard of the OA. So I have to thank Kristof for getting me that mp3. Otherwise I would've been screwed.

Written By: jreuben on 07/17/06 at 9:49 pm

Well, mine is finally done! Writing to 7 minutes' worth of wholly nonsensical, and, for the most part, misrhymed lyrics about candy has proven both frustrating and fun. Thankfully this song has a cool beat to it.

I'll check out the rest of y'alls come contest time.

*looks for signs of life Jeff's way*

;)

I've been out of town, but don't worry, it's coming  :)  Song will be called The Cold Shoulder...and will be posted tomorrow or Wednesday (since toMario's posting the voting thread mid-morning Wednesday) at the absolute latest.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/18/06 at 1:12 pm

Here's mine:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/kellyclarkson86.shtml

As I stated before, I go by my real name when submitting parodies.

Fortunatly for me, I didn't get a rap song...... I have no experience with those.

Written By: tomario on 07/18/06 at 4:58 pm

hello everyone just read through the entries and blooming eck ! what a high standard  :o

left marks will comment after reading along with the mp3

it is going to be very difficult to pick a top  5 let alone a 5 pointer.

some of the songs chosen were very difficult either because the amount of lines ,the shortness of lines and repetitivenesss of words.absolutely  amazing standard  :D mind boggling

Written By: jreuben on 07/18/06 at 9:18 pm

Okay, it's submitted.  Song's called "The Dog Walkers", and was an attempt at a freeform narrative parody, with mixed results.  I'll put the link here at some point, but it should be posted on the front page for tomorrow's update.

Good luck!

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/19/06 at 7:50 am

I had some difficulty coming up with a useable idea, but nothing occurred that I haven't encountered before. The parody started out as "Pair of Flies On A Fresh Turd Fight", but I couldn't think of any good reason for 2 flies to fight on a fresh turd!

I was very hesitant about using some verbatim original lyrics (the first 2 lines) and repeating the "Sleep on it" lines, but I'm proud of it.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/20/06 at 12:03 am

Only in one respect: I had never heard of Rock Lobster, let alone heard the song before the contest. Usually I know TOS fairly well and get an idea for it (or from it), so this one was different in that respect.

It's a good thing I'm not new to working with nonsensical, misrhymed lyrics, and, most importantly for "Rock Lobster", songs that have a substantial amount of background vocals not found on lyrics from the 'net.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/20/06 at 1:22 am

I must admit I was relieved to get Penny Lane, as I would have been struggling with "Like Tin Soldiers"

It took me a while to get a title (threw out about thirty because they didn't have enough legs to carry a story) but then I found it just like writing a regular parody.

I'm slightly disappointed that my offering "Hit The Road Jack" wasn't done (it was Scathe's) although I can understand that, as I had a hard time with it when I parodied it the once.  In fact that's why I suggested it.  I wanted to see how others would approach and solve the tricky bits - the challenge is still there if anyone wants it

Written By: jreuben on 07/20/06 at 8:29 am

Much different.  I tried several different titles, and eventually went with the one I felt had the most promise, and gutted it out.  Had there not been a deadline, I definitely would have taken more time.  It might not be my best work, but I did enjoy the challenge (and boy was it a challenge!)

Written By: Cat on 07/22/06 at 7:57 pm

As I said before, I think Johnny D possessed me to write what I did! Seriously, "Guhlee Mahn" was just the first idea that popped into my head and I ran with it. But at one point I got stuck, and I was worried that it would seem too dated in 2006, so at one point I considered ditching it...but since I already had it half-written, I found the willpower to finish it. And I was quite impressed with its reception, I must say!

Check for new replies or respond here...