inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: June SOTM Voting Thread; Results Posted

Written By: Red Ant on 07/08/06 at 3:16 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes win.

1: Newbie Parodist by Cat

2: For O'Neal Can't Shoot by Max Power

3: The Bite of a Viper's Fangs by Adagio

4: When I've Done Me Chores by Tomario

5: That's Not Weird Al! by  the_conqueror_of_parodies

Original song here

6: Three little tyrants (and the big bad Bush) by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

MP3 of original:
http://k1chyd.adress.eksjo.com/dktos/

Video of original (minus intro/outro and with some shortened chorus):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6KSrBD52ms&search=green%20jelly

7: Avian Flu by Phil Alexander

8: Are You Naive 'Round Gadgets? by Matthias

9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey

10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen

11: Spamming Pests by Red Ant

12: The Argh Cheer & I-Feel-Like-A-Pirate Rag by Johnny D

Original lyrics here:
The Fish Cheer & I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag
( Note: The original version's original recording had "WOO-HOO!" after "What are we fighting for?" -- that's why I put "YO-HO!" after my parody's "Watery fights galore!" )

Temporary free MP3 of OS here:
*Country Joe switched verses 2 and 3 with each other in this live performance & omitted the "WOO-HOO!" after "What are we fighting for?"*

13: What If Tom Was One Of Us? by Stuart McArthur

14: Dollar-Fifty Ho by Rick Cormier

15: (World's Worst) Gigolo by Kristof Robertson

Subject: Re: June SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/10/06 at 1:22 pm

I was on vacation last week, so I suppose it's too late to enter. I will give a looksee on the entries and vote later, though.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/10/06 at 2:07 pm

I was on vacation last week, so I suppose it's too late to enter. I will give a looksee on the entries and vote later, though.

Yeah, unfortunately it is too late to enter. I would be inclined to let you enter since no one has voted yet, but the rules are fairly concrete on this.

I hope you had a good time on vacation.  :)

Written By: adagio on 07/10/06 at 8:20 pm

#1 : Newbie Parodist by Cat=5 points

# 11: Spamming Pests by Red Ant = 4 points

#  8: Are You Naive 'Round Gadgets? Matthias= 3 points

# 12: The Argh Cheer & I-Feel-Like-A-Pirate Rag by Johnny D = 2 points

# 14: Dollar-Fifty Ho by Rick Cormier = 1 point

Written By: Cat on 07/10/06 at 9:14 pm

Thanks muchly Adagio!  :D

I'll be voting tomorrow most likely.

Written By: Cat on 07/11/06 at 1:52 pm

Well, I lived up to my date and here are my votes. Great job everyone!

5 Points to wannabemustangjockey
4 Points to Arwen
3 Points to Kristof Robertson
2 Points to Johnny D
1 Point to Rick Cormier

Written By: Max Power on 07/14/06 at 4:58 pm

5 pts - Cat the n00b

4 pts - Red Ant's spam

3 pts - wannabemustangjockey egts blinded by headlights

2 pts - Peter Andersson's axis of evil

1 pts - Kristof Robertson's a European Gigolo

Written By: tomario on 07/17/06 at 7:41 pm

1 point to  matthias

2 points to  red ant

3 points to  wannabeamustangjockey

4 points to  phil alexander

5 points to  adagio

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/17/06 at 8:40 pm

not that it would have changed your votes, tomario, but I'm just alerting you to Rule 5 - which (and Red Ant will confirm) can result in disqualification. 

Although you've already posted your votes, there were a couple of parodies that you didn't comment on, and therefore may not have read :)

Written By: adagio on 07/17/06 at 8:59 pm

:D 5 points to  adagio  :D

Thanks,tomario..
:-*

Written By: Red Ant on 07/17/06 at 10:57 pm

not that it would have changed your votes, tomario, but I'm just alerting you to Rule 5 - which (and Red Ant will confirm) can result in disqualification. 

Although you've already posted your votes, there were a couple of parodies that you didn't comment on, and therefore may not have read :)

Yep. I see Tomario missed entries 13, 14 and 15, and perhaps a few others. Votes can't be changed once they are posted, but I'll send him a PM to remind him to comment on all parodies.

Written By: tomario on 07/18/06 at 4:35 am

sorry chaps it was 2 in the morning when id finish i was drooling on the keyboard
all commented on now best o luck to you all

thanks for the prompt red ant

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 07/23/06 at 4:20 pm

Ok, here we go...

5 pts to Red Ant's spam problems
4 pts to Arwen's mutation dream
3 pts to Johnny D's pirate rag
2 pts to Matthias' gadget naivete
1 pt to Stu's Cruise inquiry

Written By: Matthias on 07/24/06 at 8:07 pm

5 Points To: Johnny's Watery Fights Galore!
4 Points To: N00bie Cat
3 Points To: Red Ant's Inbred Ranting
2 Points To: Kristof's Just A Gigolo
1 Point To: Stuart Cruise...

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/27/06 at 1:26 pm

hfffnnnn

*that's the sound of an exasperated huff*

Gosh, what a hard month! The bar just keeps getting higher.

5 pts: #14 Rick's half-price Ho
4 pts: #9 jockeys car-nage
3 pts: #13 Stu's misguided Cruise-musing
2 pts: #7 Phil's *cough* bird-aceous *tweet* ode
1 pt: #10 Arwen's MARVEL-ous masterpiece

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/28/06 at 3:07 am

The usual "impossible to make up my mind" kind of month, with so many good ones to choose from. Arwen absolutely floored me with hers though. (and her parody wasn't bad either).

5 points...Arwen
4 points...Red Ant
3 points...Kristof
2 points...Johnny D
1 point....wannabemustangjockey

Thanks to everyone involved for the laughs you provided me. Sorry I couldn't pick them all.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/28/06 at 6:09 am

For an explanation of why I voted the way I did, check this thread:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,22074.0.html

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/28/06 at 10:12 pm

5 points for #3: The Bite of a Viper's Fangs by Adagio
4 points for #10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen
3 points for #14: Dollar-Fifty Ho by Rick Cormier
2 points for #9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey
1 point for #8: Are You Naive 'Round Gadgets? by Matthias

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/29/06 at 1:07 am

Not a single point for me? Guess next time I'll try an OS that you guys can relate to - and that means one that I've never heard in my LIFE! Or choose a topic that you'll be able to relate with - which won't be as hard. That's the price I pay for being a teen going against a lot of adults - plus one smartass girl who's around my age AND more of a new person but keeps getting points (you know who I'm talking about)! Anyway...

1 point to Cat
2 points to Arwen
3 points to Red Ant
4 points to wannabemustangjockey
5 points to Kristof

See ya next month...which'll be in a few days. I'll have to submit the only song I did this month that wasn't a resubmit or for the Great Parody Challenge.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/29/06 at 1:09 am

Firstly, my OMO (one man's opinion) - this was the most high quality month I can remember - everyone contributed an entry showing themselves at the top of their game - imho

but the main reason for this coincides with the reason given in a lot of MB comments lately for the so-called demise of amiright, ie. everyone's concentrating on the comps, rather than just free submitting like in the past.

As well as that, a lot of comments earlier this year criticised writers for not taking the time and trouble to polish their parodies to a high sheen, using Spaff's quoted six-month polishing of his "Odysseus" as a high water mark that we all should strive for.  

So these two things (the comps and the extra polishing) have contributed to raising everyone's game, but they also mean it takes longer to produce a parody than it used to - hence there are less submissions from the oldies on the New Submissions page - and therefore less visits (as readers concentrate on all the comps instead) and therefore less votes and comments on new submissions

so if I'm right, is it a good or a bad thing?

I think it's a cyclical thing - I predict it will soon become so hard to medal in SOTM that the pendulum will swing back to free submitting again

anyway, that's just what I reckon - the good developments and the bad developments are basically the same thing

I almost could have raffled these places but here goes...

5 points..................11: Spamming Pests by Red Ant
4 points..................1:   Newbie Parodist by Cat
3 points..................10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen
2 points..................15: (World's Worst) Gigolo by Kristof Robertson
1 point...................9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey

fantastic month everyone
:)

Written By: K1chyd on 07/29/06 at 6:06 am

I predict it will soon become so hard to medal in SOTM that the pendulum will swing back to free submitting again

The current multiplying of other parody contests might be seen as a related cause and effect too...

Anyway, I'll keep it short this time, here we go:

5 points to Kristof's career crisis.
4 points to Arwen's hirsute crisis.
3 points to Red Ant's inbox crisis.
2 points to wannabemustangjockey's highway crisis.
1 point to Johnny D's high sea crisis.

I cannot tell for sure why these five tickled my funny bone more than the others this month, but there do seem to be a theme of some sort...

Written By: Cat on 07/29/06 at 10:00 am

But one of the advantages of this new competitive spirit is that so far in 2006, a different parodist has won a gold each month...and I foresee that someone else who hasn't won one may very well nab it the way the votes are going. Perhaps my turn isn't too far away? (hey, a girl can dream!)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/29/06 at 4:57 pm

Firstly, my OMO (one man's opinion) - this was the most high quality month I can remember - everyone contributed an entry showing themselves at the top of their game - imho

but the main reason for this coincides with the reason given in a lot of MB comments lately for the so-called demise of amiright, ie. everyone's concentrating on the comps, rather than just free submitting like in the past.

As well as that, a lot of comments earlier this year criticised writers for not taking the time and trouble to polish their parodies to a high sheen, using Spaff's quoted six-month polishing of his "Odysseus" as a high water mark that we all should strive for.  

So these two things (the comps and the extra polishing) have contributed to raising everyone's game, but they also mean it takes longer to produce a parody than it used to - hence there are less submissions from the oldies on the New Submissions page - and therefore less visits (as readers concentrate on all the comps instead) and therefore less votes and comments on new submissions

so if I'm right, is it a good or a bad thing?

I think it's a cyclical thing - I predict it will soon become so hard to medal in SOTM that the pendulum will swing back to free submitting again

anyway, that's just what I reckon - the good developments and the bad developments are basically the same thing

I almost could have raffled these places but here goes...

5 points..................11: Spamming Pests by Red Ant
4 points..................1:   Newbie Parodist by Cat
3 points..................10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen
2 points..................15: (World's Worst) Gigolo by Kristof Robertson
1 point...................9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey

fantastic month everyone
:)

Stu, you are a genius! I never thought of it the way you explained things here.
To answer your question, it is a good thing(IMO).

Written By: Red Ant on 07/29/06 at 9:42 pm

Now a TMO (two man opinion); I didn't even have a shortlist this month. But, these 5 are my top picks:

5 points to #14 Dollar-Fifty Ho by Rick Cormier
4 points to #12 The Argh Cheer & I-Feel-Like-A-Pirate Rag by Johnny D
3 points to #15 (World's Worst) Gigolo by Kristof Robertson
2 points to #9 Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey
1 point to #10 The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/30/06 at 6:17 am

Now a TMO (two man opinion); I didn't even have a shortlist this month.

just to clarify, Jack, are you saying you could only find 5 worthy entries, so didn't need a shortlist?

I only ask because, if that's the case, then my theory above crumbles, because it was based on my subjective (obviously) view that nearly all the entries were worthy this month.  But If I'm the only one who thinks that (which could easily be the case) I'm totally happy to retract, and keep my mouth shut  ;)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/30/06 at 7:50 am

just to clarify, Jack, are you saying you could only find 5 worthy entries, so didn't need a shortlist?

I only ask because, if that's the case, then my theory above crumbles, because it was based on my subjective (obviously) view that nearly all the entries were worthy this month.  But If I'm the only one who thinks that (which could easily be the case) I'm totally happy to retract, and keep my mouth shut  ;)

Stu, if I may put in my 2 cents, I had a very difficult time deciding this month because of the quality of 98% of the submissions so, you are not alone.  :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/30/06 at 7:54 am

But one of the advantages of this new competitive spirit is that so far in 2006, a different parodist has won a gold each month...and I foresee that someone else who hasn't won one may very well nab it the way the votes are going. Perhaps my turn isn't too far away? (hey, a girl can dream!)
Cat, I don't think your turn will be too far away. Hang in there.

Written By: philbo on 07/30/06 at 8:58 am

5 points - #10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen
4 points - #3: The Bite of a Viper's Fangs by Adagio
3 points - #13: What If Tom Was One Of Us? by Stuart McArthur
2 points - #9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey
1 point  - # points - #6: Three little tyrants (and the big bad Bush) by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Another good round - I'm feeling very guilty for chopping Rick's Ho and Red Ant's pests... sorry guys.

PS I'm currently without internet after my new ISP screwed up the changeover.  Bodes well (NOT!)  But what do you expect for free broadband? Miracles?.  So don't be too surprised if you don't see me around too much over the next couple of weeks...

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/30/06 at 9:08 am

5 points - #10: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen
4 points - #3: The Bite of a Viper's Fangs by Adagio
3 points - #13: What If Tom Was One Of Us? by Stuart McArthur
2 points - #9: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey
1 point  - # points - #6: Three little tyrants (and the big bad Bush) by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Another good round - I'm feeling very guilty for chopping Rick's Ho and Red Ant's pests... sorry guys.

PS I'm currently without internet after my new ISP screwed up the changeover.  Bodes well (NOT!)  But what do you expect for free broadband? Miracles?.  So don't be too surprised if you don't see me around too much over the next couple of weeks...
Phil, no need to apologize to me, my friend. I felt bad about not voting yours in this month. As well as, Stu's and Cat's and Peter's and on and on.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/30/06 at 9:38 am

Not at all! I was saying that the entries were, for the most part, so evenly matched that the entire field (minus my entry, of course) was my 'shortlist', so I didn't have one for that reason. After all, narrowing it down from 15 to 14 entries isn't much help when there are only 5 points spots. 14 entries isn't a "shortlist".

No need to apologize, Phil. I'm sure everyone this month wanted at least 7 votes; I know I did. Perhaps whomever runs SOTM next year will set up the rules to allow 7 votes.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/30/06 at 5:40 pm

Not at all! I was saying that the entries were, for the most part, so evenly matched that the entire field (minus my entry, of course) was my 'shortlist', so I didn't have one for that reason.

aah, I completely took the other meaning - but in fact you're agreeing too (now I get the "TMO" bit ::))

Written By: Arwen on 07/31/06 at 12:37 pm

Here you go...sure it's the last day...but it's not the last minute!  I'm getting better!!

5 points for #13, Stuart
4 points for #11, Red Ant
3 points for #9, Wannabemustangjockey
2 points for #14, Rick C.
1 point for #15, Kristof

Excellent month, all!  :)

Written By: Cat on 07/31/06 at 8:46 pm

Okay...I had nothing better to do and I was wondering who all won, so I calculated the final results for you all. BY HAND.

But let's cut to the chase. And it was an incredibly, incredibly close race:

First Place: Red Ant with "Spamming Pests"

Written By: adagio on 07/31/06 at 8:58 pm

Congratulations Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey!!!  :) :)

Written By: Matthias on 07/31/06 at 10:56 pm

It's proven.... Be Our Guest Wins It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have to have a month free of Guests to see who the real winner is... But congrats Jack, this round!

Written By: Red Ant on 07/31/06 at 11:23 pm

Okay...I had nothing better to do and I was wondering who all won, so I calculated the final results for you all. BY HAND.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/31/06 at 11:23 pm

Good on you, Jack.  You are absolutely powering through this year :o

and congrats to the hard-earned and well-deserved place-getters Arwen and wannabemustangjockey :)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/01/06 at 12:56 am

Congrats Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey! As usual I'm sending over one blonde Swedish groupie to the winner, two blonde Swedish groupies (male this time) to the runner up and three blonde Swedish groupies to the bronze medal winner. And to everyone else some formed and dried under the northern light elk poop window ornaments since the whole country is currently out of wolverine lymphatic gland aphrodisiacs, some company named Hirsute Rivendell Inc is buying it all for the American market...

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/01/06 at 2:30 am

Congrats Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey! As usual I'm sending over one blonde Swedish groupie to the winner, two blonde Swedish groupies (male this time) to the runner up and three blonde Swedish groupies to the bronze medal winner. And to everyone else some formed and dried under the northern light elk poop window ornaments since the whole country is currently out of wolverine lymphatic gland aphrodisiacs, some company named Hirsute Rivendell Inc is buying it all for the American market...
Wait a minute, Peter...the winner only gets ONE, while third place gets THREE? I think I"d rather come in third from now on. AND, the second place winner here will be bored with those 2 males in about 10 minutes. Oh yeah, congratulations to Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey. Great round everyone!

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 08/01/06 at 3:46 am

Congrats Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey! As usual I'm sending over one blonde Swedish groupie to the winner, two blonde Swedish groupies (male this time) to the runner up and three blonde Swedish groupies to the bronze medal winner.

:-*  :-*  :-*
Send 'em on over! I never knew getting girls was as easy as writing a song ... maybe I should do this more often...  ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/01/06 at 6:52 am

Wait a minute, Peter...the winner only gets ONE, while third place gets THREE? I think I"d rather come in third from now on.

That's right, I want you all to hold back your very best from now on... Also, with the worldwide postal service being what it is they might not arrive for a couple of weeks, or months, or years, so they'll probably be a bit dehydrated when they come. Be prepared and stack up on lots of beer, vodka and moonshine! 8)

The second place winner here will be bored with those 2 males in about 10 minutes.

Maybe. Maybe not. All swedish males give great foot massage, with our climate it's really a survival thing passed down through generations but our women love us for it... :P

----------------------------------------------------------------

BTW. Just a thought here, since we're halfway through 2006 and hence halvway to the next SOTY it might be an idea for those who know they'll be busy come february 2007 to go over the 18 medalists so far and at least pre-rank them a little to save themself some work on the 36+3 entries in the big one. Not only are a bunch of them set to the same TOSs but with current at least relative drought on the front page I'll bet february 2007 will be a more stressfull time for most of us. But like I said, that's just an idea - and I'm not suggesting any open pre-voting or telling on the board, just personal sidenotes for later use. (That latter part said just to avoid any misunderstandings).

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/01/06 at 7:34 am

Written By: Arwen on 08/01/06 at 8:58 am

... the whole country is currently out of wolverine lymphatic gland aphrodisiacs, some company named Hirsute Rivendell Inc is buying it all for the American market...

Hee! :)

Written By: Cat on 08/01/06 at 9:45 am

Wait a minute, Peter...the winner only gets ONE, while third place gets THREE? I think I"d rather come in third from now on. AND, the second place winner here will be bored with those 2 males in about 10 minutes. Oh yeah, congratulations to Jack, Arwen and wannabemustangjockey. Great round everyone!

Perhaps he intended it as quality over quantity...;) Who knows, the three might in fact be bleach blondes with bad orange tans!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/01/06 at 10:49 am

Perhaps he intended it as quality over quantity...;) Who knows, the three might in fact be bleach blondes with bad orange tans!
Beach blondes and bad orangutans? Hmmmmmm! Sounds like a night at Stu's house!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/01/06 at 12:16 pm

A big congrats to Jack, Arwen and the Jockey.....three constellations in the Amiright galaxy! And I concur with thoughts previously expressed; NO MORE "BE OUR GUEST"! (At least until I right a new one...  :D)

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/01/06 at 12:20 pm

NO MORE "BE OUR GUEST"!

HEAR, HEAR! 

Let's all cycle-back to a fresh round of Bohemian Rhapsody! (...no...No...NO...NOOOOO!!!!!)

Written By: Cat on 08/01/06 at 12:44 pm

Perhaps there should be some songs that should be retired for a minimum of 5 years from SOTM? I wanted to suggest this earlier but I was afraid of backlash....and I definitely nominate "Be Our Guest" as the first song to be on this list. Perhaps "Major-General" as well, but nothing else since the others haven't quite worn out their welcome yet.

(blame EmiLoca for this trend, she was the first to medal with this song in SOTM waaaaay back 2 years ago :P)

Written By: Arwen on 08/01/06 at 12:55 pm

Perhaps there should be some songs that should be retired for a minimum of 5 years from SOTM? I wanted to suggest this earlier but I was afraid of backlash....and I definitely nominate "Be Our Guest" as the first song to be on this list. Perhaps "Major-General" as well, but nothing else since the others haven't quite worn out their welcome yet.

(blame EmiLoca for this trend, she was the first to medal with this song in SOTM waaaaay back 2 years ago :P)

I don't think this is appropriate or necessary.  People should be allowed to write/submit parodies to whatever they'd like.   

If you don't like Be Our Guest parodies...(or MG, or whatever)...you don't have to vote for them. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/01/06 at 1:32 pm

I don't think this is appropriate or necessary.  People should be allowed to write/submit parodies to whatever they'd like.   

If you don't like Be Our Guest parodies...(or MG, or whatever)...you don't have to vote for them. 

I must agree with Super Arwen.  I was joking up above there about Be Our Guest and Bohemian Rhapsody.  I think everyone should always be allowed to enter parodies of any OS they wish into SOTM's and ABC's and similar contests (except for specialty contests featuring enforced selection of OS).

Of course, if a formal rule change were to be proposed & seconded & voted-in for SOTM and/or ABC to enforce limitations on OS selection, I guess us dissenters would have to accept it ... but not without writing a few "editorial parodies" spoofing it!  ;)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/01/06 at 3:13 pm

Look you folks, some idiot won SOTM with a Be Our Guest parody in May and, another fine fellow won in June. I think we should allow nothing BUT Be Our Guest parodies in SOTM. Who's with me?

Check for new replies or respond here...