inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC3 Honour Roll

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/20/06 at 1:05 am

Here's where I spruik for the ABC comps....

Amirighters!

SOTM is deservedly the blue ribbon parody comp, as it is open to everyone (newbies and oldies equally) and honours the best of the most recent songs 

But if SOTM is the Oscars, the ABCs are the Golden Globes.

The ABCs are more an inside amiright comp, as they favour the oldies (who have more parodies to choose from) - in fact it's a chance for oldies to breathe new life into a worthy old parody that would otherwise never get another chance to strut the boards.

We all love our old parodies - do them a favour and give them another shot at glory in the ABCs - and give yourself a chance to add your name to the following Amiright (ABC3) honour roll 

ABC3 winners so far...

Red Ant
The Author

Johnny D
Alopecia

Stuart McArthur
Angelina

Rex
Born to be Wild

Johnny D
Collision Man

Kristof Robertson
Damn IKEA

Red Ant
Everybody's Girl

Rick Cormier
Flora's Thong's A Crime

Stuart McArthur
Gotta Snog Somebody

Scathe
The Hokey Money Song

Jeff Reuben
I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze

Rick Cormier
Jolie, She's Enraptured Me

Agrimorfee
Kinky Dave

Arwen
Louisiana (And The Purchase Thereof)

Stuart McArthur
McArthur's Fart

Cat
Newbie Parodist

Matthias
Oompa Loompa Riot

Johnny D
Pay This Fer Gasoline Man

Stuart McArthur
Quite A Laidback Jail

Rick Cormier
Rough Lolita, Beatin' Babe

Rick Cormier
Slingin' A Load

Kristof Robertson
Takin' Out Zombies

Matthias
Uneasy Writer

Kristof Robertson
Villa La Mediocre

Red Ant
What Rhymes With Orange?

Arwen
The X-Woman's Wannabe Song

Rick Cormier
You Aint Screamed "Nelson" Yet

Johnny D
Zing Of The Toad

Kristof Robertson
88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates

Subject: Re: ABC3 Honour Roll

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/20/06 at 6:02 pm

Well put, Stu. I'm not a real oldie here but, I love reading the ones that came before and, since I've been here that I've missed. You can't possibly read every new submission posted on Amiright and, there are so many gems I find I've missed when I read them for the first time in the ABC rounds.

It works the other way around as well. When people may have missed your posting and, you're disappointed because you thought it was going to be a smash hit parody. When only a few read, comment and vote that first day, it's disappointing. These rounds give you a chance to show what you're proud of to a few more people (no, Stu, I'm not talking about showing them your "special purpose") :-)

Anyway, sorry to just repeat what you've already said but, we feel the same way on it and I wanted to say so.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/21/06 at 12:25 am

Thanks for your rousing support Rick. In a way I like the ABCs better than SOTM because we all tend to know each other so well already - in line with your comments on the other thread about the old times

These rounds give you a chance to show what you're proud of to a few more people (no, Stu, I'm not talking about showing them your "special purpose") :-)

and that's an example - you know me well enough to know that I'm old enough and puerile enough to love Steve Martin's early stuff ala The Jerk :)

Written By: Cat on 12/01/06 at 10:03 pm

Sorry to be Ms. Nitpick again but...what happened to J?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/01/06 at 11:31 pm

Sorry to be Ms. Nitpick again but...what happened to J?

ah! - now let that be a lesson to me that prideth goeth before a falleth

(add that one to all the other lessons will you Jeeves, there's a good man)

8)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/07/06 at 12:13 am

good to see that after 12 rounds, we've had 10 different winners

Written By: skittlesking on 12/21/06 at 8:21 pm

I'm new here and was wondering if my submission would be worth while, I don't want to intrude on your guy's contests, but it sounds like fun and getting people to read my parodies is hard right now, my listens are through the roof, and everyday someone downloads them, but getting them to vote or leave comments on here is hard until you have a fan base.  I don't know if I'm as good as your guys best parody artists, but I enjoy writing parodies, and I seem to write a new one every day. . .I haven't posted many here yet (11) but I'm working on getting my lyrics all up here. . .is this an open house kinda thing or is it by invitation, I haven't looked into any because I wanted to know how it works first, hope that's ok.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/21/06 at 8:43 pm

I'm new here and was wondering if my submission would be worth while, I don't want to intrude on your guy's contests, but it sounds like fun and getting people to read my parodies is hard right now, my listens are through the roof, and everyday someone downloads them, but getting them to vote or leave comments on here is hard until you have a fan base.  I don't know if I'm as good as your guys best parody artists, but I enjoy writing parodies, and I seem to write a new one every day. . .I haven't posted many here yet (11) but I'm working on getting my lyrics all up here. . .is this an open house kinda thing or is it by invitation, I haven't looked into any because I wanted to know how it works first, hope that's ok.

Us guys also have a few women who trounce our collective asses from time to time! The competitions are mainly for feedback and for fun, and maybe even the occasional medal.

You wouldn't be intruding at all; in fact, you are more than welcome to enter. The contests are open to anyone who has an eligible parody*, so it's an "open house."

* Eligibility in the ABCs is determined by the first letter of your parody. Right now, the O round is open for entries, so if you have a parody beginning with the letter O, you can enter it on that thread. The ABC competitions run on a two-week cycle, Wednesday to Wednesday.

The SOTM (Song of the Month) entry thread is put up at the beginning of every month. On January 1st, the December SOTM entry thread will be posted. Any song posted to AmiRight between December 1st and 31st is eligible. You have the whole month to vote and comment. Voting ends midnight on January 31st.

There are usually a few other themed contests running as well; eligibilty there is generally determined by the content of your parody or perhaps by the original song.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/21/06 at 8:48 pm

Thank you, as always, Red Ant, I really appreciate your welcoming me here so warmely in numerous areas of the website, without you I probably would not have submitted any more parodies after my first one-you were the only comment on that one that I recall. . .and it made me feel at home even though the next few parodies got very few votes (good, but few) and NO comments. . .I don't have an O parody I've posted yet, but I will deffinitely enter 'P' and I think I am going to enter SOTM next month, but which parody is my best for December is another question--good thing I have a week to think about that one:)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/25/07 at 5:35 pm

updated

and may I point out that we have had 12 different winners represented out of 15 letters so far

are the ABCs egalitarian or what...

Written By: Cat on 03/01/07 at 5:49 pm

Stu, Rick's latest winner is still linked to your "Quite A Laidback Jail!"  ???

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/01/07 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Cat - sometimes cutting and pasting is just plain too difficult for me  :(

* cut then cut.....no, cut, paste, cut........no, cut then sort of semi-paste....yes!.....er, no.... *

Written By: Matthias on 04/14/07 at 11:00 am

Stu the title of my parody was called, "Uneasy Writer" not "Uneasy Rider"

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/05/07 at 12:26 am

updated

Check for new replies or respond here...