inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Parody DECATHLON!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/22/06 at 12:41 pm

Here's my idea:

For those with a quick mind and strong constitution, the Great Amiright Parody Decathlon: ten parodies over twenty weeks.
The decathlon will be structured thus:
Competitors will have until one week from Monday to register their intention to compete; I will take only the first TEN names, so if you are keen get in quick!

On Monday 31st July (and every 2nd Monday from then on until the end) I will post the first "event"; a song subject and music genre...and contestants will have two weeks to submit a parody that fulfils the event's requirements....for example; Topic: Travel....Genre: Country Music.

Once the submission deadline passes and the voting thread is put up, contestants will have two weeks to vote WHILE writing their entry for the next "event". This will happen 10 times over twenty weeks, finishing on (I believe) 18th December...just in time for Christmas!

Well, that's the idea anyway! If we get at least 8 entrants, it will happen...if not, oh well!

If you are clinically insane enough to want to take part in this beast of a comp, signal your intention on this thread. I WILL be entering, but if you're worried about me having an unfair advantage because I will know what the "events" are going to be; I promise you all that I will be drawing them out of a hat every Sunday...I want to be surprised as well!!

Hope to hear from ya!!

K

Subject: Re: The Parody DECATHLON!

Written By: Matthias on 07/22/06 at 3:55 pm

Sounds like fun...
No longer have to come up with topics thanks to trusty Kristof...
Now it's just songs!

Written By: tomario on 07/22/06 at 3:59 pm

sign me up i like to suffer  :o

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/22/06 at 7:46 pm

I'm in - another chance to muck around with all me ole playmates :)

and apart from the ABCs and SOTM, I've got a feeling I mightn't be entering too many other comps over the next 20 weeks

...but if you're worried about me having an unfair advantage because I will know what the "events" are going to be; I promise you all that I will be drawing them out of a hat every Sunday...I want to be surprised as well!!

What!  ???  But finding excuses for being beaten by you Kristof is one of my favourite pastimes :(

Written By: jreuben on 07/22/06 at 8:14 pm

I'm in as well.  Looking forward to it!

Written By: Cat on 07/22/06 at 9:13 pm

(DO NOT COUNT THIS AS AN ENTRY!!!!!!)

Geez. You may have very well gone off your rocker, Kristof. I would like to enter, but being that in a month I will start junior year

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/22/06 at 10:55 pm

Ah, what the heck! Count me in! Sounds like fun!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/23/06 at 12:41 am

(DO NOT COUNT THIS AS AN ENTRY!!!!!!)

Geez. You may have very well gone off your rocker, Kristof. I would like to enter, but being that in a month I will start junior year

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/23/06 at 1:20 am

Until the 'rap' genre comes up.  ;D

I think that's where I'll have my best chance of winning! I have more experience of rap than anyone here...spare Luke Brattoni and iisryan.

Written By: Arwen on 07/23/06 at 1:32 am

I didn't count the previous entrants...but in case you haven't got ten yet...I'll play. 

(I'm already a little nervous...I don't do well with deadlines and assignments...)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/23/06 at 2:44 am

Let me see:
Me, Johnny, Matthias, tomario, conqueror, Stu, Jeff, Red Ant and Arwen: I count 9

ONE PLACE LEFT!! (gee, I didn't expect such a quick response....)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/23/06 at 4:00 am

And this is what you should be prepared for........these are images from the last Parody Decathlon I ran. The site unfortunately had to close down, and we should have wrapped up the various lawsuits before this competition starts......

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports1.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports2.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports7.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports11.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports16.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports17.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports20.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports21.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports8.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports24.jpg

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports32.jpg

Written By: Josh2 on 07/23/06 at 5:03 am

sign me up (if its not to late)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/23/06 at 6:28 am

sign me up (if its not to late)

Well, that's our 10!!

since the quota was filled in less than 24 hours (WOW!) I could extend it (to, say, 14) if anyone else is interested, but only with the unanimous support of the currant entrants. The reason I chose 10 is that, because of the frantic pace and length of the contest, I didn't want to burden everyone with an enormous voting task...

But, if you all say yay, I will extend it. Let me know ASAP.
K

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/23/06 at 6:46 am

Kristof, I suggest you provide 4 more place BY INVITATION ONLY.

There may be 4 regulars who didn't get a chance to read your thread who might have wanted to join, so instead of leaving the contest enrolment open, PM all the "regulars" who haven't listed (eg Agri, Peter, Rick, Phil, adagio, and so on...we all know who they are) to ask if they'd like to be in the 4 last places - then take the first 4 of them that accept)

because some regulars don't read the MB on the weekends

Written By: K1chyd on 07/23/06 at 9:06 am

Kristof, I suggest you provide 4 more place BY INVITATION ONLY.

There may be 4 regulars who didn't get a chance to read your thread who might have wanted to join, so instead of leaving the contest enrolment open, PM all the "regulars" who haven't listed (eg Agri, Peter, Rick, Phil, adagio, and so on...we all know who they are) to ask if they'd like to be in the 4 last places - then take the first 4 of them that accept)

because some regulars don't read the MB on the weekends

Yes, I didn't see this until it was already full so thanks for thinking of me/us Stu. However I will be doing some work-related studying parallell to work during September, October and parts of November so during that period I'll be happy to just get the occational parody in and if possible join the SOTM comp.

Also and as someone who has some experience of running (table tennis) competitions, I do see a time factor here, for every extra contestant the comp will take two more weeks, unless more people are eliminated in each round.

So while I'm here let me suggest the possible solution with initial parallell groups. If say 16 people should want to enter you can start with two groups with 8 in each and have 2 in each eliminated in the first two rounds, then you're down to 8 left (4+4), still on time schedule, and can have the groups joined.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/23/06 at 9:44 am

unless more people are eliminated in each round.

ELIMINATED!!!! :o

surely not!!

(I think you're mistaking the world of amiright for the cut-throat, take-no-prisoners, eat-em-alive world of competition table tennis, Peter ;))

....er, am-i-right, Kristof??  :-\\

Written By: K1chyd on 07/23/06 at 1:31 pm

(I think you're mistaking the world of amiright for the cut-throat, take-no-prisoners, eat-em-alive world of competition table tennis, Peter ;))

I'll probably regret this comment, but...

when your balls rotate at an average speed of 50-75 laps per second I can assure you that it's screw or get screwed... 8)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/23/06 at 2:39 pm

ELIMINATED!!!! :o

surely not!!

....er, am-i-right, Kristof??  :-\\

Um, Peter.....WHA?? No elimination, friend (I don't know WHERE you got that from!)...this is an "all the way to the end" for each contestant.

I like Stu's idea for inviting regular contest-enterers, but as I set the parameters for the comp when i posted it, I feel I need the approval of those who entered if I'm going to change those parameters. Whaddya guys think?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/23/06 at 3:54 pm

Um, Peter.....WHA?? No elimination, friend (I don't know WHERE you got that from!)...this is an "all the way to the end" for each contestant.

I like Stu's idea for inviting regular contest-enterers, but as I set the parameters for the comp when i posted it, I feel I need the approval of those who entered if I'm going to change those parameters. Whaddya guys think?

The more people that enter, the better. So go ahead change the rule on entrant numbers, you have my approval.

About the no-elimination, will we just get a penalty if we don't complete an event in time?

Written By: Arwen on 07/23/06 at 6:41 pm

I'm back and forth...I agree that that commitment involved lends itself to 10 contestants being ideal...but would 4 more per month really be that much bigger of a deal?  Probably not.

However, I don't like the idea of soliciting entrants at this point...just because they are "regulars."  That gives off a really "cliquey" feel to me...and I think that if Kristof wanted a contest involving only people he thought were suitable...he should have/would have simply PM'd that group of people to begin with.  And I don't think that it being the weekend should have anything to do with reopening it either.  Opening it up to the entire messageboard with a pre-determined limit as to the number of entrants would have been "risky" no matter when it was posted.  Monday through Friday wouldn't have, in my opinion, guaranteed that more "regulars" would have seen it.  It's summer time, people go on vacation and don't get online.  People get sick.  People get busy...etc.  Regardless of when it was posted, there are people who would be left out, unless there were no limit to how many could participate.

And...if Kristof DID send PMs to these "regulars," how would he determine who, from those responses, got to enter?  First come, first serve?  How is that, then, any different from how it was done originally?  Maybe Adagio (and three others) will get to her messages before Phil does...does that make them more worthy to compete?

There are rules that are set down in other contests...we've all missed deadlines before...and it's part of the deal.  I think most people who missed this deadline will just say..."Oh shoot...I missed the deadline."  I think most people understand that stuff like this happens...and that's just how it goes.

So...what am I saying?  I'm not sure.  I guess I don't mind letting other people play...the more the merrier, like Red Ant said.  But I don't like the idea of choosing who to invite.  I think it's an injustice to those who have already signed up. 

Am I the only one who's already signed on who would be wondering:

If I hadn't made the deadline, would I have gotten a PM from Kristof, inviting me to play?  

Can you honestly say that, if 9 other people had signed up previous to the 9 you have now, that you would have included US 9 in your solicitation for participation?  If not, then how are we supposed to feel, knowing that you really didn't want to play with us...that we just beat the people you really wanted to compete to the punch?

(Of course, I'm just laying out what might be an issue for some here...I know you wanted ME to play...everyone wants me to be involved in everything... ;))

It seems to me that you have two "fair" options...meaning fair to those who've already signed up...and fair to those who might still want to.

#1.  Open it up again ON THE PUBLIC FORUM...and to list a time deadline rather than a numeric limit. 

#2.  Stick to the rules you laid out to begin with.  It's your contest, and they're your rules.  If people missed their chance...then there's always the next contest.

But...in the end, it's up to you...I'll still be game no matter what you decide...but those are my thoughts on the whole thing.

:) :) :)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/23/06 at 9:10 pm

After further consideration, I've withdrawn my entry. Best of luck to everyone in the contest.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/23/06 at 9:52 pm

But...in the end, it's up to you...I'll still be game no matter what you decide...but those are my thoughts on the whole thing.

:) :) :)

admittedly I didn't give it that much consideration when I suggested it, but I thought that

(a) it's such a long comp - 20 weeks - that it would be a shame if a diehard had to watch from the sidelines for the duration just because they didn't read the MB that day

and (b) it was open to all-comers anyway for a day or 2, so it's not as though everybody else didn't have a chance, or that Kristof had done the "cliquey thing"

(and AS IF if you wouldn't have been on the PM list Arwen ::) )

or, why not leave it open and PM those people anyway? - all problems are avoided then

Written By: tomario on 07/24/06 at 3:17 am

kristof in the end the competition is yours you set the rules ,if you can handle the extra workload then increase the amount of entries.i personally think that 14 or 15 would be the optimum as the quality would suffer .
writing and submitting the parody reading and commenting on the parodies and voting it all takes time and if  there were more entries i think people would cut corners and eventually lose intrest !

exciting isn't it ! :D :D :D

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/24/06 at 5:23 am

My two cents worth:

I couldn't give the slightest damn about how many people enter. Really.

Actually, on second thoughts, I do. More people may mean more suffering (naughty tomario!), but it means more parodies to vote on, and I'll probably get killed by my dad for sucking up all the bandwith (or whatever) for listening to all the songs. So, Kristof, don't have too little, but don't have TOO much, okay?

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/24/06 at 6:51 am

Stu, this sounds like a fun contest but, with trying to sell my property, divorce proceedings and training I need at my job, I just don't have enough time available to enter.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/24/06 at 7:38 am

I think Stu et al are right that a little more time should be given for others to hear about this past the weekend. I almost never am online on the weekend.

That being said, it's a scarier thought to actually vote on the parodies entered (which would be 10 entries every 2 weeks through Christmas...mininally!) than to write as many. It's a wonderful way to to test my limits, Kristof, but I'm not sure it's something I can devote my time to.

Written By: jreuben on 07/24/06 at 7:54 am

I'm fine with whatever decision is made (I assume Red Ant's spot will be filled since he dropped out)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/24/06 at 7:57 am

OK.....
Good points from everyone; so now to make a decision (eek!)
...(tumbleweed sighted)
Right! Here's what i'll do. With Jack pulling out (awwww!), I'll split the difference, expand the places to 12, and give everyone until Thursday night to throw their hat into the ring. Any objections? Good... ;)
New thread up tonight.

Boy, isn't this a laugh?  :D

Written By: Josh2 on 07/24/06 at 1:49 pm

i take it the originals are still in

Written By: Arwen on 07/24/06 at 3:58 pm

i take it the originals are still in

I wondered, too...but I just figure we can watch for the new thread...and sign up on it, if need be.

Check for new replies or respond here...