inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody DECATHLON: Event 2

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/14/06 at 4:53 pm

DECATHLON EVENT 2:

TOPIC: Have a rant!!!

GENRE: Duets

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports2.jpg

THE RULES

~~Entry URLs to be posted onto this thread from the Amiright site

~~Entries must conform to both the topic and genre specifications...if in doubt, ask.

~~On the 28th August, entries close and voting begins.

~~Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order: 
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the 11th of September.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the deadline is disqualified and may not participate in the next event.

~~If you miss a submission deadline, you will not be entered in that event, but WILL be allowed to enter the next event.
However, there will STILL be an expectation that you comment and vote in the event you are not participating in, unless you have a valid reason for not being able to.

~Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that event's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

SCORING: Unlike PAOTY, scores for each Decathlon event are not cumulative. The winner of each event gets 9 Decathlon points, 2nd gets 8 and so on. This should make the contest very close throughout the next 20 weeks.
A Leaderboard will be posted after the first event

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Parody DECATHLON: Event 2

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/14/06 at 5:29 pm

Kristof -- The British pop duo from the 60's, Peter and Gordon, sang many of their tunes as close-harmony vocal duets together ... would "A World Without Love" by Peter and Gordon meet your criteria for what you mean by duet for purposes of this contest? 

Also, by the same token -- would songs by Seals & Crofts qualify, since most of their stuff are also close-harmony vocal duets?

Thanks 
:)
JD

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/14/06 at 5:57 pm

Kristof -- The British pop duo from the 60's, Peter and Gordon, sang many of their tunes as close-harmony vocal duets together ... would "A World Without Love" by Peter and Gordon meet your criteria for what you mean by duet for purposes of this contest? 

Also, by the same token -- would songs by Seals & Crofts qualify, since most of their stuff are also close-harmony vocal duets?

Thanks 
:)
JD

Yes......and........Yes

Written By: Matthias on 08/14/06 at 11:38 pm

Sweet!!!!!

Got great songs and titles already lined up.......  

The Duet of all Duet's "You don't bring me flowers", with the parody of "Used the phone for hours"

And...

"The Girl Is Mine", with the parody of "The Girl Is Yours"

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/15/06 at 12:41 am

Here's my parody of a famous duet sung by Peter and Gordon (OS, "A World Without Love") ...

... an Anti-Microsoft-Rant ...

Windows Without Bugs

Here's a link to a temporarily-available free MP3 of the OS:

A World Without Love

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/15/06 at 1:49 am

DECATHLON EVENT 2:

First question: Rant about what?

Second question: Would a song like "'Something' by So-and-So featuring So-and-So" be allowed? Or does it have to be "'Something' by So-and-So and So-and-So"?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/15/06 at 3:24 am

First question: Rant about what?

Second question: Would a song like "'Something' by So-and-So featuring So-and-So" be allowed? Or does it have to be "'Something' by So-and-So and So-and-So"?

Answer to First Question: Absolutely anything! Whatever annoys you, frustrates you, or amuses you in an irritating sort of way. Parking ticket Nazis, small kids who scream in supermarkets...the list is endless

Answer to Second Question: As long as the Artist "featuring" provides vocals, then that's fine

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/15/06 at 7:45 am

Here is a link I found which might help give you some ideas:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/11/08/bmduet08.xml

Written By: Arwen on 08/15/06 at 9:31 am

DECATHLON EVENT 2:

Ah, well...if worst comes to worst, I have something in my parody-ography that will fit the bill...but I'm going to try to come up with something new.  :)

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/06 at 3:21 pm

Yes I'm sure down deep inside, this the one that I'll write!!!! Oooh, ooooh, ooooooh!!! Funny!!!!
To the parody, "Kids Are Pain In The Butt"

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/16/06 at 2:00 am

Answer to First Question: Absolutely anything! Whatever annoys you, frustrates you, or amuses you in an irritating sort of way. Parking ticket Nazis, small kids who scream in supermarkets...the list is endless

Answer to Second Question: As long as the Artist "featuring" provides vocals, then that's fine

Good! I got an idea already...maybe a parody of "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce feat. Jay-Z...called "Lazy Fat Guts" or something like that...which is me complaining about some completly lazy person...or maybe just lazy people in general!

Written By: Josh2 on 08/16/06 at 4:12 pm

saurely i could jsut enter my round 1 entry for this.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/16/06 at 7:09 pm

saurely i could jsut enter my round 1 entry for this.

Technically, you probably could, Josh; the parody is a rant (of sorts) and the Everly Brothers ARE a duet. But, if you want ANYONE to vote for you in Round 2, I'd consider submitting something else. Just a thought.... :)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/18/06 at 11:27 am

Here's my entry

The Chihuahua

to "Somethin' Stupid"  by Nancy Sinatra and Frank Sinatra

Written By: tomario on 08/18/06 at 2:33 pm

here is my entry   http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/diamondandstreisand0.shtml

sing-a-long to you don't bring me flowers by diamond and streisand

Written By: Josh2 on 08/18/06 at 4:33 pm

does it have to be specifially a duet? can it be a quartet or a band with two members or a band feat someone?

Written By: Matthias on 08/18/06 at 4:54 pm

I've finished with "Kids A Pain In The Butt", it should be up on Monday, because nobody reads parodies over the weekend.

Written By: Arwen on 08/18/06 at 5:17 pm

does it have to be specifially a duet? can it be a quartet or a band with two members or a band feat someone?

I think it has to be specifically a duet.  2 people singing.

That is my vote anyway...in case there is going to be some discussion.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/19/06 at 2:56 am

Actually, there is something that gets me even more pissed than lazy people...and that's smokers! They're jackasses! Willingly killing themselves (I hope none of you guys are smokers)! And so I think I'll parody 'Stan' by Eminem feat. Dido (Her song "Thank You' gets sampled in the chorus...yes, she was aware of it...she even featured in the video!) to get the message across.

Jackasses.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/20/06 at 12:13 am

Actually, there is something that gets me even more pissed than lazy people...and that's smokers! They're jackasses! Willingly killing themselves (I hope none of you guys are smokers)! And so I think I'll parody 'Stan' by Eminem feat. Dido (Her song "Thank You' gets sampled in the chorus...yes, she was aware of it...she even featured in the video!) to get the message across.

Jackasses.

Sorry I keep changing my mind, but I've decided to parody a much easier song. It's called "Hero" by Chad Kroeger featuring Josey Scott. Josey does the second verse. It was on the soundtrack to the film Spiderman, but I've got an mp3 lined up (as usual) just in case.

Hope you like it!

Written By: Josh2 on 08/20/06 at 3:44 am

You ILLEGITIMATE CHILD. You are evil, I was gonna do Stan and then I was gonna do Hero. lol

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/21/06 at 2:56 am

You ILLEGITIMATE CHILD. You are evil, I was gonna do Stan and then I was gonna do Hero. lol

Heh-heh. Sometimes I can be an evil bastard without meaning to.

Or was I? ;)

And I've changed my mind AGAIN. Now the parody's about Big Brother (doesn't matter which version) and how it takes up all time-sots (IMO)...plus I can't see the fun of it anyway.

Written By: Josh2 on 08/22/06 at 3:17 pm

does ordinary boys feat lady sovreign count as a duet begin that only preston does anything lyrically for the OB's

Written By: Matthias on 08/23/06 at 9:00 pm

Alright I wrote another, and I'm sure that this one will be the one that I'm going to stick with!

Written By: Matthias on 08/24/06 at 8:34 am

Here's the one that I'm going to stick with...

"How to make your stubborn husband choose a more expensive hotel room"
Sequal to...
"How to make your lazy husband work"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/bobbycaldwellandvanessawilliams0.shtml

Written By: Arwen on 08/24/06 at 9:53 am

Okay...I've gone back and forth, not sure if it's really "the one," but have finally decided that I wrote it for the Decathlon...so I'll enter it in the Decathlon...caution be damned. 

Red Rubber Bra

(also, in spite of my most profound desires, I was unable to think of a witty way to chew Stuart out for cutting me off in the ABC comp through parody...so there you have it. ;))

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/24/06 at 11:39 pm

:P

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/25/06 at 7:13 am

My parody has just been submitted! Look for a song called 'Big Brother' tomorrow...maybe.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/25/06 at 7:02 pm

My parody has just been submitted! Look for a song called 'Big Brother' tomorrow...maybe.

My entry:

Big Brother

Have fun!

Written By: jreuben on 08/27/06 at 8:38 pm

Most likely going with an old one, my teacher rant against scribbles, cross-outs, and smudged papers:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/beachboysfatboys0.shtml

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/28/06 at 5:22 am

I said I was going to try to write a new parody for each event, and I've stumbled at the second hurdle! Couldn't come up with anything I really liked (not in a ranting sort of mood lately) so I'll go for this oldie:

There's No Sun In Vermont

...which is more of a moan than a rant, but is the best I've got. (I'm not selling this very well, am I?)

Reminder to those who haven't voted yet in Event 1 (including...let's see now...ME!); you have until midnight Amiright time.
New event  will be going up this evening (GMT)

Written By: Matthias on 08/28/06 at 8:26 pm

Hey Kristof, where's this Event 3 that I've been waiting anxiously all day to find!!!!!!!
Don't leave me hanging buddy, pull out those caps!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/29/06 at 2:12 am

Matthias, buddy....your wish is my command; thread will be up in 5 minutes......but you ain't gonna like it.... ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...