inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's call this the "make Chuck rich" challenge

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/06 at 3:16 pm

Can you write a parody with one of these phrases in the lyrics?

http://www.theproguy.com/most-expensive-adwords.html

$70 for a single ad click? I think the ones that generally run on amiright earn about a penny per click, and not that many people click on them.  Too bad amiright wasn't a college loan site.

I'm kidding about writing these of course.  Although, if you do, make sure you don't tell people to click on the ads, 'cause that generally makes google mad.

Subject: Re: Let's call this the "make Chuck rich" challenge

Written By: KKay on 09/11/06 at 3:19 pm

Thats a good idea.
CAn't wait to read the one about the "orlando culinary institute"

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/06 at 3:23 pm

Thats a good idea.
CAn't wait to read the one about the "orlando culinary institute"

I wonder... if we all picked one and put them all up in a couple of days I could make a single page linking them in order.  I could then submit it to digg.  It might make it onto the front page of digg as a funny thing.  That would certainly get a lot of people to check out the parodies submitted.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/11/06 at 4:10 pm

$70 for a single ad click? I think the ones that generally run on amiright earn about a penny per click, and not that many people click on them.  Too bad amiright wasn't a college loan site.

I'm kidding about writing these of course.  Although, if you do, make sure you don't tell people to click on the ads, 'cause that generally makes google mad.

Hmmm... it appears that the key to unlocking this potential parody-puzzle is the word "consolidation".

I'll give it some thought ...

Written By: Red Ant on 09/12/06 at 12:48 am

I have written and submitted "College Loan Consolidation" to The Who's "My Generation". I used every keyword I could, exactly as it appears on that list, even forsaking the stutters in spots. Geez, to think I might take pacing hits to make you rich.  ;)

Of course, should you actually get rich, don't forget about me, lol.

Why does clicking on the ads make Google mad? Isn't the point of the ad to attract suckers people to whatever site?  ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/12/06 at 7:43 am

Jeepers creepers, Red, you are quick on the draw. :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/12/06 at 9:33 am

I have written and submitted "College Loan Consolidation" to The Who's "My Generation". I used every keyword I could, exactly as it appears on that list, even forsaking the stutters in spots. Geez, to think I might take pacing hits to make you rich.  ;)

Why does clicking on the ads make Google mad? Isn't the point of the ad to attract suckers people to whatever site?  ???

Wow, you're quick with that one. I only skimmed it when doing the rest this morning, but what I did read looked good.

Saying "please click" is what makes them mad, not the actual clicks.  Someone wrote a parody and called it something "please click" and google actually sent me an email about it.

I was thinking the song "Conjunction Junction" might work with Consilidation, if paired with the right words.

Should we make a check list of all the phrases and strike them out as people do them?

I doubt anything with google will make me rich lately. Google also doesn't tell me what page generated X amount of clicks/money, so I couldn't even say whether or not this will work. 

I'm just thinking about it from a publicity point of view.  These "most valuable adsense keyword" lists crop up on the popular tech sites like digg/slashdot every few months. I think if we managed to knock off all the keywords and do a page listing them and why, we might get listed on one of those sites which would drive a lot of traffic to the parodies featured.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/12/06 at 10:09 am

Jeepers creepers, Red, you are quick on the draw. :o

Wow, you're quick with that one. I only skimmed it when doing the rest this morning, but what I did read looked good.

Thanks guys. I didn't even see this thread until I got home from work at midnight, and didn't start working on it until 1am. I was done by 1:45.

Saying "please click" is what makes them mad, not the actual clicks.  Someone wrote a parody and called it something "please click" and google actually sent me an email about it.

Oh.

I was thinking the song "Conjunction Junction" might work with Consilidation, if paired with the right words.

DKTOS, heh heh.

Should we make a check list of all the phrases and strike them out as people do them?

Are you talking ~50 seperate parodies or the phrases being used in the parodies? I think I used 9 of them in my parody today.

I doubt anything with google will make me rich lately. Google also doesn't tell me what page generated X amount of clicks/money, so I couldn't even say whether or not this will work.  

I'm just thinking about it from a publicity point of view.  These "most valuable adsense keyword" lists crop up on the popular tech sites like digg/slashdot every few months. I think if we managed to knock off all the keywords and do a page listing them and why, we might get listed on one of those sites which would drive a lot of traffic to the parodies featured.

I was thinking after I submitted it that, while it won't make you rich, it might "generate" a ton of spammed comments.

I've got a few ideas for some of the other ones; getting some of those adwords to scan into a song will be a good challenge.

ChuckyG, do you have access to a list that goes down even furthur, say around the 20$ per click mark? I'm thinking a "We Didn't Start The Fire" parody would be ideal, but the 50 or so adwords on that page are insufficient and too redundant to pull off that idea. A list of the top 500 or 1000 keywords would be better.

Written By: jreuben on 09/12/06 at 10:13 am

Google gets mad when the webpage authors tell people to click on the ads, as opposed to people clicking on them on their own.  The don't want the webpage authors to say things like "Click on my ads as much as you can so I make money!"  That's what Chucky was referring to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/12/06 at 10:40 am

Are you talking ~50 seperate parodies or the phrases being used in the parodies? I think I used 9 of them in my parody today.

hmm... good question.  Maybe it would be easier to initially target just nailing all the phrases, rather than devoting one parody to each. 

I was thinking after I submitted it that, while it won't make you rich, it might "generate" a ton of spammed comments.

yeah, there is that downside.  People who spam the comments section are likely to try and get on those pages to help boost adsense spam sites

I've got a few ideas for some of the other ones; getting some of those adwords to scan into a song will be a good challenge.

ChuckyG, do you have access to a list that goes down even furthur, say around the 20$ per click mark? I'm thinking a "We Didn't Start The Fire" parody would be ideal, but the 50 or so adwords on that page are insufficient and too redundant to pull off that idea. A list of the top 500 or 1000 keywords would be better.

I don't know if there's a longer list. I question whether these lists are even accurate.  I'll look around though and see what I can find.
I

Written By: Red Ant on 09/12/06 at 10:47 am

Thanks Jeff and ChuckyG.

Just for sheeshs and giggles Because I was deeply interested in reducing my debt, I clicked the single "Loan Consolidation" link above my parody (there were 4 links earlier...). The three links I clicked from that page generated nothing more than HTTP 500 - Internal server error(s).  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/12/06 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Jeff and ChuckyG.

Just for sheeshs and giggles Because I was deeply interested in reducing my debt, I clicked the single "Loan Consolidation" link above my parody (there were 4 links earlier...). The three links I clicked from that page generated nothing more than HTTP 500 - Internal server error(s).  :-\\

weird. 

I didn't notice any earth shattering rise in revenue either, so if those are the mythical keyword ads, I really doubt those ads pay what people claim they do.

Written By: jreuben on 09/12/06 at 2:41 pm

weird. 

I didn't notice any earth shattering rise in revenue either, so if those are the mythical keyword ads, I really doubt those ads pay what people claim they do.

FWIW, I clicked on one of the ads as well.  I didn't get an error, it took me to the actual website. 

Check for new replies or respond here...