inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody DECATHLON: Event 5

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/26/06 at 12:47 pm

DECATHLON EVENT 5:

TOPIC: Holidays(vacations) and Travel

GENRE: Reggae or Latin

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/crazysports17.jpg

THE RULES

~~Entry URLs to be posted onto this thread from the Amiright site

~~Entries must conform to both the topic and genre specifications...if in doubt, ask.

~~On the 9th October, entries close and voting begins.

~~Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order: 
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the 23rd of October.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the deadline is disqualified and may not participate in the next event.

~~If you miss a submission deadline, you will not be entered in that event, but WILL be allowed to enter the next event.
However, there will STILL be an expectation that you comment and vote in the event you are not participating in, unless you have a valid reason for not being able to.

~Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that event's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

SCORING: Unlike PAOTY, scores for each Decathlon event are not cumulative. The winner of each event gets 9 Decathlon points, 2nd gets 8 and so on. This should make the contest very close throughout the next 20 weeks.
A Leaderboard will be posted after the first event

HAVE FUN!!!!!! 

Subject: Re: Parody DECATHLON: Event 5

Written By: tomario on 09/26/06 at 1:47 pm

yeah man pass the sandals and the suncream   8)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/zexxy_06/10014Hippies-Use-Back-Door-Posters.jpg

Written By: Arwen on 09/26/06 at 4:19 pm

DECATHLON EVENT 4:

TOPIC: Holidays and Travel

So by holidays you're talking Vacations...not Christmas and Easter?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/26/06 at 6:31 pm

So by holidays you're talking Vacations...not Christmas and Easter?

Damn this language barrier! :D Good spot, Arwen....we here in the non-American world call vacations holidays. You were right on the money- I'll amend the post. Cheers babe!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/26/06 at 7:14 pm

This makes me both wish I had particpated in the first decathlon and submitted a parody called ( We Gonna Sled Down To) De  North Pole Avenue( atcually youll see that in Decemner orr around there,so odnt take it!)

Written By: Matthias on 09/26/06 at 8:31 pm

This makes me both wish I had particpated in the first decathlon and submitted a parody called ( We Gonna Sled Down To) De  North Pole Avenue( atcually youll see that in Decemner orr around there,so odnt take it!)

How about "De Amish Avenue"....

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/26/06 at 8:35 pm

How about "De Amish Avenue"....
Ill do both!  ;D I was gonna do an Electric Avenue parody last year but never got around to it

We  gonna plow down to de amish avenue, and we wont use no pliers

Written By: Matthias on 09/26/06 at 8:49 pm

Yo Mon! Is Shaggy Reggae??? If so I am so doing "It Wasn't Me" it is screaming for parody!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/26/06 at 9:03 pm

Yo Mon! Is Shaggy Reggae??? If so I am so doing "It Wasn't Me" it is screaming for parody!
LOL I USED TO LOVE THAT SONG! Yeha its reggae

I remember starting a parody of that that O never finished called "It Really Was Me"

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/27/06 at 1:57 am

GENRE: Reggae or Latin

Uh...HELP?!?! Need to know some Reggae/Latin artists...like, NOW!

Written By: tomario on 09/27/06 at 3:06 am

bob marley  ub40 shaggy
10cc did dreadlock holiday can i just copy that !  ::)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/27/06 at 4:32 am

bob marley  ub40 shaggy

Okay then. I so shotgun/dibs/baggsie 'Angel' by Shaggy! If anybody else touches it...they're dead!I'll probably turn it itno 'Hotel'.

Written By: Matthias on 09/27/06 at 6:53 am

Okay then. I so shotgun/dibs/baggsie 'Angel' by Shaggy! If anybody else touches it...they're dead!I'll probably turn it itno 'Hotel'.

Or should I do "Angel" by Shaggy... Hmmmm... Tough Choice  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 09/27/06 at 7:08 am

As for Latin Music Artists, there's...

1. David Bisbal
2. Jennifer Lopez
3. Santana
4. Juanes'
5. RBD
6. Ricky Martin

Written By: Josh2 on 09/27/06 at 4:11 pm

http://sumfun4u.com/newmusic.html
have a look at the reggage and latino sections, legal of course

Written By: Matthias on 09/27/06 at 9:17 pm

I might do "Turn Your Brights Off" to the Santana song "Put Your Lights On"

OR

"I Didn't Speed" to Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me"

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/27/06 at 9:18 pm

I might do "Turn Your Brights Off" to the Santana song "Put Your Lights On"

OR

"I Didn't Speed" to Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me"

Then the cops pulled me over ( I didnt speed)

Went fast for like an hour ( didnt speed)

Told my kdis they needed showers ( didnt speed)

I was screaming louder( didnt speed)

No this fight sure aitn over

There's your first chorus right therre

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/28/06 at 1:59 am

Okay, I'll do "Jammin'" into "Packin'". And I hope I won't change my mind.

Written By: tomario on 09/28/06 at 2:26 pm

:(  isn't reggae dull  i think it's time to bring out the big guns - the estafan is in the building ! ;D

Written By: Matthias on 09/28/06 at 8:06 pm

God, Mon!!! This has to be the hardest Decathlon Event so far!!!! I can only think of titles, I got no ideas further than that!!!! Grrrrrr!!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/28/06 at 8:20 pm

God, Mon!!! This has to be the hardest Decathlon Event so far!!!! I can only think of titles, I got no ideas further than that!!!! Grrrrrr!!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif
Did you nott see my vesree thing?

Written By: Matthias on 09/29/06 at 7:51 am

"My Jamaican Vacation's Gonna Start Right Here" -Jimmy Buffet and Alan Jackson

Written By: Josh2 on 09/29/06 at 10:48 am

I'm parodying the Arthur Theme by Ziggy Marley

Written By: Matthias on 09/29/06 at 12:22 pm

It's Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross?

Written By: Josh2 on 09/29/06 at 1:04 pm

no, I'm literally going to cover the Arthur Theme by Ziggy Marley. you know, the kids TV show, Arthur, perhaps you americans call it Arthur the Aardvark

Written By: Arwen on 09/29/06 at 1:19 pm

no, I'm literally going to cover the Arthur Theme by Ziggy Marley. you know, the kids TV show, Arthur, perhaps you americans call it Arthur the Aardvark

I'm confused how that has anything to do with traveling or going on holiday.

Written By: Josh2 on 09/29/06 at 3:16 pm

um....because i havne't actually done the parody yet? That is merely the name of the song I'm going to PArody

Written By: Matthias on 09/30/06 at 4:11 pm

Would Under The Sea count as Reggae???  ;) It has a Jamacian voice over

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/30/06 at 4:48 pm

Would Under The Sea count as Reggae???  ;) It has a Jamacian voice over
Sure! LOL all the parodies of that song on amIright are awesome, so go ahead!

Written By: Matthias on 10/01/06 at 5:17 pm

That had to be the hardest on in the Decatholon as of yet... Whew.... But I'm finished my parody of Eddy Grant's "Don't Want To Dance" to the title "Ain't Wearing Pants" shall be up tomorrow....

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/02/06 at 7:52 am

I too was flummoxed (a fave word) by Kristof's despicable Decath5 challenge but, like a trouper, I will soon post a parody of Bob Marley's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" titled "It's Smelly, in Delhi"

Written By: Arwen on 10/02/06 at 9:51 am

I too was flummoxed (a fave word) by Kristof's despicable Decath5 challenge but, like a trouper, I will soon post a parody of Bob Marley's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" titled "It's Smelly, in Delhi"

Didn't Bobby McFerrin write "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"  ??? 

Well, I know he recorded the version that I'm familiar with, which came out years after Marley died...but stranger things have happened than me being wrong...I suppose it could have been a cover...

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/02/06 at 10:34 am

Stu, a quiet word, mate.......yeah, come over here where no one can hear.....*whispers* " Bobby McFerrin, dude.....it's OK, glad to help...no, I won't tell anyone...."

There IS an urban myth that Marley wrote the OS, and committed suicide shortly after; and that McFerrin suffered the same fate after his recording. Both untrue. Bobby McF wrote it, sang it, won a Grammy with it, and is still alive to collect royalties to this day.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/02/06 at 5:02 pm

Didn't Bobby McFerrin write "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"  ??? 

Well, I know he recorded the version that I'm familiar with, which came out years after Marley died...but stranger things have happened than me being wrong...I suppose it could have been a cover...

well I'll be buttered on both sides :-[ - I can't believe I fell into that old journalistic trap of not checking my resources.

The only version I'd ever heard was the Bobby McFerrin version, which was number 1 here for about 12 weeks, but then I googled for a list of Marley's songs, and it came up on a lot of lists, which had me confused.  Then I limewired the song, and bizarrely the most popular limewire entries listed Bob Marley as the singer.

By now I'm a believer.  So I downloaded one of these, and listened to it, and I'm thinking, gee that sounds like Bobby McFerrin's version - hmm, that Bobby McFerrin dude has ripped Bob Marley off right down to the vocal stylings, quirky little comments, and everything!!! >:(  (I wasn't thinking too hard about this, you might be able to tell)

so when Kristof had a word in my ear, I wikipedia-ed the song, and sure enough, I'm the victim of a bizarre urban myth (bizarre because clearly noone has even heard a Marley version, so where did the myth get legs? - apart from the song being reggae)

so thanks guys for steering me back onto the path of truth and righteousness  :)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/02/06 at 8:27 pm

I've got my entry...it's not very good towards the end, but it's the best I could do with such lyrics:

Packin'

Oh, and here's an mp3 to go with it.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/03/06 at 3:29 am

well I'll be buttered on both sides :-[ - I can't believe I fell into that old journalistic trap of not checking my resources.

The only version I'd ever heard was the Bobby McFerrin version, which was number 1 here for about 12 weeks, but then I googled for a list of Marley's songs, and it came up on a lot of lists, which had me confused.  Then I limewired the song, and bizarrely the most popular limewire entries listed Bob Marley as the singer.

By now I'm a believer.  So I downloaded one of these, and listened to it, and I'm thinking, gee that sounds like Bobby McFerrin's version - hmm, that Bobby McFerrin dude has ripped Bob Marley off right down to the vocal stylings, quirky little comments, and everything!!! >:(  (I wasn't thinking too hard about this, you might be able to tell)

so when Kristof had a word in my ear, I wikipedia-ed the song, and sure enough, I'm the victim of a bizarre urban myth (bizarre because clearly noone has even heard a Marley version, so where did the myth get legs? - apart from the song being reggae)

so thanks guys for steering me back onto the path of truth and righteousness  :)

No problemo, good buddy....btw, I've got a nice bridge with a harbour view going cheap...you interested?  ;)

Oh, and another thing; I have a confession to make. I kind of jumped the queue with "Don't worry" and wrote a parody of the OS last night. Nothing to do with the decathlon, but it should be up today. Sorry!

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/06 at 9:55 pm

I've changed my mind, my much better Vacation-Reggae hit is going to be up tomorrow by the title of "Steal Soap, Brianna" the sequal to "Baby, There's Mold Inside"

Written By: Matthias on 10/04/06 at 9:51 am

http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/films/soap/3-large.jpg
That's not exactly what I meant, Sam

Steal Soap, Brianna: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/eddygrant4.shtml

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/04/06 at 10:15 am

Here's a little travellin' tip....

You might want to make a note - of - it...

It's Smelly, In Delhi

Written By: tomario on 10/04/06 at 1:33 pm

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/zexxy_06/imagesCAYFJYO4.jpg
please feel free to view my verbal postcard to the tune of "kingston town" - ub40

called "UNTIL TOUCH DOWN"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/ub401.shtml

Written By: Arwen on 10/05/06 at 10:00 am

I tried about 38 different reggae songs before, teetering on the edge of my own sanity, I moved on to Latin.  Then I teetered some more.  This was the hardest of the events so far...at least for me...

Anyway...here's my best effort, with a little help from Shakira... :)

http://amiright.com/parody/2000s/shakira52.shtml

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/07/06 at 11:57 am

You're all right...the baseball caps of chance delivered a real stinker for this round....I really thought I wouldn't come up with anything. But here's my effort anyway

Villa La Mediocre

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7263/loocopyqh6.th.jpg

Good luck, all!

Written By: jreuben on 10/08/06 at 6:17 pm

Are We There Yet, tune of Shake Your Bon-bon by Ricky Martin.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/rickymartin54.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...