inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retiring Parodies from Comps

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/04/06 at 11:18 pm

Since a recent Kristof comment on the topic of retiring parodies, Jack (Red Ant) and I have been discussing the idea of when do you or when should you retire a parody from competitions - ie. when does it reach its use-by date?

I don't think this should lead to a rule, because there are already plenty of rules, and anyway it should be personal thing - and I suspect it is already self-fulfilling, because overuse of a parody in comps would lead to people getting so sick of that parody that it wouldn't garner any votes anyway

but Jack and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to see what decsiions other amirighters make or have made along these lines

personally, if a parody of mine has medalled at SOTM, it is automatically retired from the ABCs.  Also, I would never enter any parody into more than 2 comps maximum.  (maybe an exception would be if a comp was flagging and the organiser asked for entries to pump up the numbers)

Does anybody else have any comp entry restrictions they apply, or any thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Retiring Parodies from Comps

Written By: Red Ant on 10/05/06 at 12:43 am

Since a recent Kristof comment on the topic of retiring parodies, Jack (Red Ant) and I have been discussing the idea of when do you or when should you retire a parody from competitions - ie. when does it reach its use-by date?

I don't think this should lead to a rule, because there are already plenty of rules, and anyway it should be personal thing - and I suspect it is already self-fulfilling, because overuse of a parody in comps would lead to people getting so sick of that parody that it wouldn't garner any votes anyway

but Jack and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to see what decsiions other amirighters make or have made along these lines

While I can't recall anyone entering a SOTM medalist into the ABCs, I did consider at the time the ABC3 rules were being ironed out introducing a rule that would make them ineligible. I agree though about the "plenty of rules" thing, and since, TMK, it hadn't happened,  I never brought it up.

IMHO, entering a SOTM medalist into another comp would be counterproductive for both the readers and the author. If anyone is interested in my rationale on this, I'll elaborate more later. 

personally, if a parody of mine has medalled at SOTM, it is automatically retired from the ABCs.

I follow this as well.

Also, I would never enter any parody into more than 2 comps maximum.  (maybe an exception would be if a comp was flagging and the organiser asked for entries to pump up the numbers)

If I had been here much longer than I have, I might consider entering an older work that had already been in 2 comps into another, especially if it was one of the vote-wiped ones. But, that doesn't apply to me, so 2 comps is my self-imposed limit as well.

I'd guess-timate that author make-up in competitions changes roughly 30-40% a year, so in 2008 or so I might change my self-imposed limit if a whole slew of new authors hadn't seen a parody I was particularly fond of.

Does anybody else have any comp entry restrictions they apply, or any thoughts on this?

I *generally* stay away from entering my SOTM non-winners into the ABCs as well. I figure most people have seen them anyway, and I'd rather get more exposure and feedback for other works. That's by no means a rule, though.

Written By: jreuben on 10/05/06 at 10:55 am

I would only enter an SOTM-medal song into another contest if I have no other song that qualifies for that contest.  Since I've already gotten feedback for that song, I'd rather enter another song to get feedback, even if it means not doing as well in that particular contest.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/05/06 at 11:50 am

The only restrictions I place on myself in this regard are those stated in the official contest rules.    :)

If something is expressly prohibited in the official contest rules, I do not do it.    :)

If something is not expressly prohibited in the official contest rules, I do it if I choose to do it.    :)

Sometimes you might have a parody from YEARS AGO that was entered in, and perhaps even won a medal in, some other contest ... but since so much time has passed, it can be fun to get fresh feedback from new AmIRighters who did not participate in that earlier contest -- and I've seen more than one case where some veteran AmIRighters have posted comments thanking an author for bringing an oldie-but-goodie to their attention again!    :)  ;)  ;D

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/05/06 at 12:19 pm

Since a recent Kristof comment on the topic of retiring parodies

I made a comment about this? Must've been drunk.... ;). On a serious note, I try to never enter parodies in more than one contest, largely because I don't see the point. ABC is, IMO, a way of giving old parodies another run around the block...so entering an old SOTM piece won't give me the new feedback I'd want. I'd rather miss an ABC contest than re-enter something. But again, this is not a hard and fast rule for me...a very old parody might get another look in. Plus, having almost 240 parodies to choose from, I'm coming from a position of relative strength, choice-wise.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/05/06 at 12:26 pm

This is coming from an author who has written material since 1983, and who has only won 1st prize for ABC and SOTM in the past 3 months after three years of trying...

I don't see any need to retire an entry. Look, if you think your piece is good enough, then why should you disqualify yourself? Winning these comps is partially a luck of the draw alongside of the skills factor...who knows if your Golden Oldie is going to be outclassed by a wondrous work by a newbie, or by a Spaff  :)? What if your tune got skunked out of 1st place in SOTM by 1 or 2 points, due to 1 scofflaw's forgetfulness about voting by the due date? Don't you deserve a second chance in an ABC?

And if voters are getting tired of reading your parody, I say that's their problem.

Written By: Arwen on 10/05/06 at 12:54 pm

While it's interesting to read different viewpoints on the subject, I feel the same way about this as I did when someone suggested that we "outlaw" certain "overdone" songs from contests.

Parody authors should be allowed to enter what they want...when they want...and however many times they want. 

I don't know, personally, which of my parodies I've entered in multiple contests...a lot of times I don't know which parodies I've entered EVER...especially if it's been a while since it was originally posted.  I just don't think about it. 

I realize that nobody's trying to introduce or enforce new rules here...but I'd like to say that I, at least, don't judge a parody by how many times it's been entered in a contest.  If you think a specific parody is the best option you have for a contest...and it just happens to have been entered in three other contests already...so what?  Enter it.  I would like to think that most of the better authors on the site will look at it objectively in the context of each new contest, rather than excluding it because they're "sick of it."  If it was "FABULOUS" the first time around...it should still be "FABULOUS."

Written By: Cat on 10/05/06 at 9:23 pm

While it's interesting to read different viewpoints on the subject, I feel the same way about this as I did when someone suggested that we "outlaw" certain "overdone" songs from contests.

Parody authors should be allowed to enter what they want...when they want...and however many times they want. 

I don't know, personally, which of my parodies I've entered in multiple contests...a lot of times I don't know which parodies I've entered EVER...especially if it's been a while since it was originally posted.  I just don't think about it. 

I realize that nobody's trying to introduce or enforce new rules here...but I'd like to say that I, at least, don't judge a parody by how many times it's been entered in a contest.  If you think a specific parody is the best option you have for a contest...and it just happens to have been entered in three other contests already...so what?  Enter it.  I would like to think that most of the better authors on the site will look at it objectively in the context of each new contest, rather than excluding it because they're "sick of it."  If it was "FABULOUS" the first time around...it should still be "FABULOUS."

...are you insinuating something, miss?  ???

Anywho, I don't think there should be any definite restrictions on the contests, but I think it would be good AmIRight etiquette to not drag out your old SOTM-winner for every contest there is. And regarding my earlier comments, I do admit they were a little extreme, but it still makes me want to rip my hair out and go "Aaaaaaugh!" when I see three songs in SOTM to the same OS. I know I'm not really one to talk here, but variety is the spice of life! Matthias definitely has a great point with his entry his month.

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/06 at 10:26 pm

...are you insinuating something, miss?  ???

Anywho, I don't think there should be any definite restrictions on the contests, but I think it would be good AmIRight etiquette to not drag out your old SOTM-winner for every contest there is. And regarding my earlier comments, I do admit they were a little extreme, but it still makes me want to rip my hair out and go "Aaaaaaugh!" when I see three songs in SOTM to the same OS. I know I'm not really one to talk here, but variety is the spice of life! Matthias definitely has a great point with his entry his month.

With "Full Graveyard Of Cliched Screams"?

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 10/06/06 at 4:29 am

With "Full Graveyard Of Cliched Screams"?

I think Cat's talking about your M-G parody.

My two cents about the whole song retirement program is that ultimately it's up to the author's good (or bad) judgment to decide whether their song is good enough to warrant being entered more than once in a contest. To date I have never entered any parody contests other than SOTM. I've placed three times (bronze, silver, and gold) in my first year of participating, but I've never considered entering any of my songs twice or more in contests because I don't follow the other contests. For me, another deciding factor is that it's public knowledge that most of my parodies revolve around one central theme: cars. That makes them appropriate for SOTM but not necessarily other contests (the tribute contests, for example).

I say that if you believe that your song is great, go for it. If it fits within the rules, enter it in every contest for all I care. If you enter it too many times and people burn out on it and start to chuck rocks at you, steal your identity and prank-call your grandma, that's your fault! Decide for yourself what is right to submit or not.

Written By: philbo on 10/09/06 at 4:44 am

I misread the title of this... I thought Stu was suggesting he was retiring from the song competitions, and was about to try and convince him otherwise, but decided to read what he'd posted first ;)

Offhand, I don't think I've entered any of my songs into two different competitions, but I don't see why it should be barred.  If you don't like the idea of multiple entries, then don't vote for a song twice (which would make it much harder for someone doing this to win next time around), and leave a comment along the lines of "I voted for this once, so it's coming further down the list this time".  Having said that, I would certainly get tempted to enter some of my older SOTM entries as there's a lot of new faces around who won't have seen them... that is, if I were actually entering any competitions other than SOTM at the moment.  I may well, once I get my internet connection back, as I've got a bit more time at the moment.  But who's to say whether I'll still have the spare time...

Check for new replies or respond here...