inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: September SOTM Voting Thread: Voting Closed, Results Posted

Written By: Red Ant on 10/08/06 at 1:48 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes win.

and the 17 entrants are:

1: Nerdy Needs by The Charnstar

2: Oh AmIRight by Tomario

3: Scion xB by wannabemustangjockey

4: Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier

OS is here

5: You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur

Listen to the OS here

6: Walkin the Plank Tonight by Jack Wilson

7: Bovine Love by Jeff Reuben

8: My 'Needs' Are Really Dire by the_conqueror_of_parodies

Liste to the OS here

9: Took My Pawn by Tim Mayfield

Realmedia stream (OS here)

10: My Little Whizzer by Agrimorfee

See The Who, Hear The Who perform "Pinball Wizard" here

11: I Ain't Got Internet by Phil Alexander

12: Love Yer Cranium's Own Slick Views by Red Ant

Original Song here.

13: Daddy Drives Just Like an Old Man by Michael McVey

14: Illegitimate by BLO-TOWN

Original video version here

15: Ode to Beer by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

MP3 here

16: Why Can't You Guys Write Anything But... by Matthias

17: The Times When I Just Didn't Think by Kristof Robertson

Subject: Re: September SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: tomario on 10/09/06 at 8:33 am

my votes are :-

1  point -the charnster

2  points- phil alexander

3 points- tim mayfield

4 points -stu macarthur

5 points  - kristof  8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/11/06 at 1:02 pm

This one was hard, hard, hard to decide....i must give honorable mentions to Jack Wilson (one of your best yet!), Conqueror, and BLO-TOWN... 8)

But here's your contenders...
5pts=Stu
4pts=Charnstar
3pts=Wannbemustangjockey
2pts=Rick Cormier
1pt=Tim Mayfield

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/21/06 at 9:18 am

This was a great month. A lot of variety, a lot of laughs.

5 points to #5 Stu's stone cold solid rock
4 points to #17 Kristof's favorite cinematic things
3 points to #9 Tim's chess mess
2 points to #11 Phil's webless woes
1 point to #7 Jeff's flock of puns

Honorable mentions to Red Ant, Matthias, Peter, the Charnstar, conqueror of parodies, wannabemustangjockey, Michael McVey, Agrimorfee, tomario, Jack Wilson and BLO-TOWN

Written By: Matthias on 10/21/06 at 4:37 pm

5 Points To: YABBA-DABBA-STU
4 Points To: Kinamatic Kristof
3 Points To: The Risque Rick
2 Points To: The Cowboy Jeff
1 Point To: The Nerdy Charnster

Written By: The Charnstar on 10/22/06 at 1:53 am

1 Point : Walkin' The Plank Tonight - Jack Wilson
2 Points : My "Needs" Are Really Dire - COP
3 Points : Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbour - Rick Cormier
4 Points: The Times When I Just Didn't Think - Kristof Robertson
AND THE BIG FIVE POINTS GO TO! *big dramatical pause unless you already looked down*

!YOU AND ME BETTY AIN'T NOTHING BUT RUBBLES - STUART MCARTHUR!

Took My Pawn almost got in, along with Bovine Love and Ode To Beer, but sorry :-( So many good songs this month

Written By: K1chyd on 10/22/06 at 4:18 am

5 Points: "Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor" by Rick C.

4 Points: "Bovine Love" by Jeff Reuben.

3 Points: "Daddy Drives Just Like an Old Man" by Michael McVey.

2 Points: "The Times When I Just Didn't Think" by Kristof Robertson.

1 Point: "My 'Needs' Are Really Dire" by The conqueror of parodies.

Honorable mentions to everyone for having the balls to enter such a fierce fragfest as this round and especially to Stu who lost out on the finale points only because of my interest in medicine and personal relation to general inability to think clearly. Also I thought it was really gutsy of Michael McVey to enter with a ten minutes long song about driving/cars after wannabemustangjockey pretty much overkilled the entire genre this year, under different circumstances I might have come down harder on pacing and the none-varied choruses but it tickled my funny bone through the whole read/listen and made the list.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/22/06 at 7:49 am

1 Point : Walkin' The Plank Tonight - Jack Wilson
2 Points : My "Needs" Are Really Dire - COP
3 Points : Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbour - Rick Cormier
4 Points: The Times When I Just Didn't Think - Kristof Robertson
AND THE BIG FIVE POINTS GO TO! *big dramatical pause unless you already looked down*

!YOU AND ME BETTY AIN'T NOTHING BUT RUBBLES - STUART MCARTHUR!

Took My Pawn almost got in, along with Bovine Love and Ode To Beer, but sorry :-( So many good songs this month
YES,thnaks for the 1 point! Even if it IS just one point

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/22/06 at 8:19 am

1 Point:.My Needs Are Really Dire-COP, great job on a hard son g to parodu
2 points:. Nerdy Needs- The Charnstar LOVED this one! Hard rock+nerds+parody=AWESOME
3 points Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor?- Rick-This was AWESOME!
4points Times When I Just Didnt Think-Kristof,GREAT job on this, this was great 555!
5 .YOU AND ME BETTY AND NOTHIN BUT RUBBLES -STU MCARTHUR!!!!-EASILY the beast song here, we've had no Spaff OR Claude Prez in SOTM this year,THIS is the closest thing to them so far that Ive read in this contest, great job!

VERY honorable mentions toJeff Reuben, Peter, and Matthias! and everyone else, this was awesome!

Written By: meow78223 on 10/26/06 at 3:00 pm

Number one was easy, the rest weren't.

1st (5)--- "Love Yer Cranium's Own Slick Views" by Red Ant
2nd (4)---"Took My Pawn" by Tim Mayfield
3rd (3)---"Bovine Love" by Jeff Reuben
4th (2)---"Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor" by Rick Cormier
5th (1)---"You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles..." by Stuart McArthur

GO CARDINALS!!!

MM

Written By: philbo on 10/27/06 at 4:54 am

The votes from the (only occasionally connected) Alexander jury are:

5 points - #7: Bovine Love by Jeff Reuben
4 points - #9: Took My Pawn by Tim Mayfield
3 points - #13: Daddy Drives Just Like an Old Man by Michael McVey
2 points - #1: Nerdy Needs by The Charnstar
1 point  - #5: You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur

Honorable mention to Rick C's Neighbour.  Sorry, Rick.

Written By: tmayfield on 10/28/06 at 1:33 am

Such a wide range of comic genius this month. Love the variety!

My tallies show:

5 points - "Bovine Love" by Jeff Reuben
4 points - "Scion xB" by wannabemustangjockey
3 points - "My 'Needs' Are Really Dire" by the_conqueror_of_parodies
2 points - "Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor" by Rick Cormier
1 point  - "Walkin the Plank Tonight" by Jack Wilson

Written By: Red Ant on 10/29/06 at 4:29 pm

Before I leave my choices, I wanted to say that this has been another tough and great SOTM round. Many entries were what I consider in that author's top 5 parodies ever, which made whittling down the not-so-short list more painful than it usually is. I accidentally over cut the list down to 4, and deciding which parody should get that last point was too tough, so I wound up raffling that spot. (Yeah yeah yeah Red Ant, just tell us the votes already...)

So, here they are:

5 points to #5: You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur
4 points to #4: Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier
3 points to #1: Nerdy Needs by The Charnstar
2 points to #7: Bovine Love by Jeff Reuben
1 point to #10: My Little Whizzer by Agrimorfee

Big time honorable mentions to everyone else.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/29/06 at 8:26 pm

it was toss-up for the 5-vote between Jack and Kristof, but I gave it to Jack because of the difficulty of the OS (which I absolutely love), and the fact I've never been able to get an angle on it - but Kristof's was typically brilliant, and a laugh a line as usual

5 points...............12: Love Yer Cranium's Own Slick Views by Red Ant
4 points...............17: The Times When I Just Didn't Think by Kristof Robertson
3 points...............7: Bovine Love by Jeff Reuben
2 points...............4: Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier
1 points...............1: Nerdy Needs by The Charnstar

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 10/29/06 at 9:17 pm

Like everyone else seems to be saying ... this was a tough month to judge. But I'm over it.

5 pts to Kristof Robertson
4 pts to Rick Cormier
3 pts to Tim Mayfield
2 pts to Stu McArthur
1 pt to Michael McVey

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/30/06 at 2:33 am

1 point to Charnstar
2 points to Stu
3 points to K1chyd
4 points to wannabemustangjockey
5 points to Kristof

Whew! That was a bit too close to the deadline than I would've liked. I guess I was too busy with a new parody that was for the next SOTM (spoiler: it was ridiculously hard, Spaff's recorded his version of it, and I was inspired by WBMJ...)

Written By: jreuben on 10/30/06 at 6:22 pm

5 pts:  Rick Cormier
4 pts:  Stu McArthur
3 pts:  Kristof Robertson
2 pts:  Charnstar
1 pt:  Tim Mayfield

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/31/06 at 5:01 pm

With hours to spare.....

5 points: Stu and his Barney Stone
4 points: conqueror and his ode to afflictions
3 points: Rick C and his neighbourhood watch
2 points: Agri's little whizzer
1 point: Michael Mc's sermon on slowness

Absolutely DIAMOND month!

Subject: Re: September SOTM Voting Thread: Voting Closed, Results Posted

Written By: Red Ant on 11/01/06 at 12:31 am

For the ninth month in a row now we have a different first-place winner.  Here are the results for the September SOTM:

1st place with 49 points: You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur

2nd place with 40 points: The Times When I Just Didn't Think by Kristof Robertson

3rd place with 38 points: Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier

Jeff Reuben 25
Tim Mayfield 19
The Charnstar 17
wannabemustangjockey 11
the_conqueror_of_parodies 11
Red Ant 10
Michael McVey 8
Phil Alexander 4
Agrimorfee 3
Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd 3
Jack Wilson 2
And some Halloween candy for Tomario and Matthias

Congratulations to Stu, Kristof, and Rick. One DQ to report: BLO-TOWN didn't vote/comment in time, so he forfeits his zero points, and is ineligible to participate in the October SOTM.

The PAotY thread has been updated for the last time this year (until the winner is announced). Pending a reponse from Claude about the standings, the thread may be re-opened shortly for discussion.

Written By: The Charnstar on 11/01/06 at 1:01 am

HOLY CARP! I came 6th! That's like... 3rd out of the losers (no offence). This is the greatest day of my life (I also got out of doing a class next year with my ex) Maybe soon it'll start raining nachoes and cheese and I'll be singing in the rain! MY GOD I LOVE TODAY! Thankyou all who voted for me :-) I love you more than you love me! And my 3 favourites for this month won, in the order I put them in, I LOVE IT! CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! The only thing I'm sad about is that I didn't get any candy :-( drat

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/01/06 at 3:38 am

HOLY CARP! I came 6th! That's like... 3rd out of the losers (no offence). This is the greatest day of my life (I also got out of doing a class next year with my ex) Maybe soon it'll start raining nachoes and cheese and I'll be singing in the rain! MY GOD I LOVE TODAY! Thankyou all who voted for me :-) I love you more than you love me! And my 3 favourites for this month won, in the order I put them in, I LOVE IT! CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! The only thing I'm sad about is that I didn't get any candy :-( drat

Congratulations! Even though you beat me, I don't hate you (yet) because I came 8th! I think that's the highest I've ver gotten in a SOTM! Plus I beat last month's winner! w00t!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/01/06 at 9:29 am

Wow! Thanks all for supporting me into silver! This is (I believe) the second time I've been Stuey's bridesmaid (I think I look good in fuschia...) and what a great parody to come runner-up to! Absolutely bonzer, mate!
Big congrats also to the consistently wonderful Mr Cormier, with his bawdy singalong. In fact, I had the only medalling parody that didn't require a PG certificate! Great work, guys.
And well done to all who entered. 9 different winners in 9 months: blimey! Who's next??  :D

Written By: Rick Cormier on 11/01/06 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations to Stuart and Kristof! I was among those who voted them 1 and 2 this month. As has already been said, it was a stellar month. Thank you to Peter and Jeff for the 5 points. Thank you to everyone else who voted and considered my parody. I'll be sitting out the next round, since my entry in this round was the last parody I've even thought about writing.

Keep up the good work y'all!

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/01/06 at 5:05 pm

Congratulations! Even though you beat me, I don't hate you (yet) because I came 8th! I think that's the highest I've ver gotten in a SOTM! Plus I beat last month's winner! w00t!

:P :P :P

The SOTM prize elation is so fleeting...I feel like the Chicago White Sox right now. :D

Congrats to our top 3 champs!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/01/06 at 9:36 pm

with the possible exceptions of The Charnstar and the conqueror (funny posts guys) I reckon it's me who's having the best day around here.  It's so bloody hard to win SOTM these days with the overall high quality of entries, that I'd virtually resigned myself to not winning this year - so the fact that all the planets managed to align for me this month is fantastic.

thanks everyone for your votes, and gee I had a few nervous moments watching Kristof's typically gag-laden ditty narrow the gap to just a few points at one stage.  Congrats to him, and to Rick too - if you haven't had a listen to Rick's recording of Floozy Neighbour, well you don't know what you're missing out on - professional stuff

**podium self-indulgent anecdote time**
Thankyou also to those people who noticed my entry's inexcuseable "cleaner/cleaner" couplet and didn't ping me for it.  It was a mistake that I only just noticed last week.  Instead of finishing with "...it's me whose wiener's cleaner" it should have read "...it's me with th'cleaner wiener" The problem was caused by me jumping drafts midstream, and not properly checking that the new draft had all the previous draft's updates.

so...we need 2 new winners for the next 2 months - (brrrring brrrring) hi, get me spaff or claude please.....

Written By: K1chyd on 11/02/06 at 1:00 pm

Congrats to the medalists and everyone else for lighting up the dark northern evenings here! (I wish I could spend more time at Amiright than I currently can).

As for nine winners in nine months I think it's actually ten in ten since if we're to include last year, a quick flashback reveals that Spaff won the december round last year. We have to go back to November to find Kristof, who's also won one round since. What would be even cooler than different winners for all different months this year would be me rising from no medals at all this year to winning all twelve rounds next year, keep that in mind for 2007 everyone! ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/02/06 at 6:49 pm

(I wish I could spend more time at Amiright than I currently can).

As do I. We're now rennovating the hotel, so I'm expecting to work 60+ hours a week for the next 4 months.

As for nine winners in nine months I think it's actually ten in ten since if we're to include last year, a quick flashback reveals that Spaff won the december round last year. //

Yep, Spaff won the Dec SOTM, so that makes ten, but the Wild Card round (13th month?  :D) was won by Phil.

And, in a non-official capacity, again congrats to Stu, Kristof and Rick. Truly great parodies, and, as an aside to Kristof, if it hadn't been so long since I've seen most of those movies it would have made my top 5 as well. Maybe I'll have time to see them all on 99 cent rental night before the SOTY thread is posted.  :)

Written By: Cat on 11/03/06 at 8:44 pm

with the possible exceptions of The Charnstar and the conqueror (funny posts guys) I reckon it's me who's having the best day around here.  It's so bloody hard to win SOTM these days with the overall high quality of entries, that I'd virtually resigned myself to not winning this year - so the fact that all the planets managed to align for me this month is fantastic.

thanks everyone for your votes, and gee I had a few nervous moments watching Kristof's typically gag-laden ditty narrow the gap to just a few points at one stage.  Congrats to him, and to Rick too - if you haven't had a listen to Rick's recording of Floozy Neighbour, well you don't know what you're missing out on - professional stuff

Thankyou also to those people who noticed my entry's inexcuseable "cleaner/cleaner" couplet and didn't ping me for it.  It was a mistake that I only just noticed last week.  Instead of finishing with "...it's me whose wiener's cleaner" it should have read "...it's me with th'cleaner wiener" The problem was caused by me jumping drafts midstream, and not properly checking that the new draft had all the previous draft's updates.

so...we need 2 new winners for the next 2 months - (brrrring brrrring) hi, get me spaff or claude please.....

If I ever get around to finishing my latest project, there's always me!  :P

(I'm writing this humorous poem thing for English now with a certain meter. Hopefully that'll get me back in top form.)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 11/03/06 at 9:33 pm

That was great!

Ah yes Spaff and C4Prez Disepnser, SOTM isnt the same without those two

Check for new replies or respond here...