inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Voting Thread for ABC3-I: Results Posted

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/06 at 11:52 pm

Welcome to the
ABC3 (I)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC3(H) is midnight (amiright time)     Wednesday October 25th
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r     (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC3 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

And the entries are.........

1: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben

2: In My Gravy by Tomario

3: I'm The Friar by Agrimorfee

(DKTOS? Read the lyrics and sample the song at http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/ImOnFire.html)

4: I'm Dyslexic by Red Ant

5: If I Were A Dick-head by Johnny D

6: I'm So Unusual by Rick Cormier

7: It's Beginning To Look At Lot Like Ozzfest by Matthias

8: I Am Sixty - Going On Seventeen by Stuart McArthur

9: I've Broken A Bone Now by Arwen

10: I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable by Cat

11: I'm a Speeder by Michael McVey

12: Im Jacques Clouseau by Jack Wilson

Subject: Re: Voting Thread for ABC3-I: Deadline October 25th

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/13/06 at 7:48 am

In early, just because the timing was right. Trust me, I gave a good read for everyone, in spite of the brevity of my comments on some entries.

5pts=Johnny D
4pts=Red Ant
3pts=Cat
2pts=Rick C.
1pt=Stu

Good luck everyone!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/18/06 at 3:55 am

I recall the I round being tough last year too. A lot of great entries, but that damned top five thing always ruins it. Anyway:

5 points to #1: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
4 points to #6: I'm So Unusual by Rick Cormier
3 points to #5: If I Were A Dick-head by Johnny D
2 points to #10: I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable by Cat
1 point to #9: I've Broken A Bone Now by Arwen

Honorable mentions to Matthias, Stu, MM, Agrimorfee, Tomario and Jack W.(not necessarily in that order).

Written By: Matthias on 10/18/06 at 10:01 am

5 Points To: The d*ckhead Johnny
4 Points To: The Sleeping Jeff
3 Points To: The Broken Arwen
2 Points To: Der Tna.... Errr... Make that:  Red Ant
1 Point To: The Contagious Cat

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/18/06 at 10:54 am

5 poitns to JEFF
4 points to RED ANT
3 points to JOHNNY
2 ponits to RICK
1 ponit to ARWEN

Written By: tomario on 10/19/06 at 3:44 am

my votes are :-

1 point  - rick cormier

2 points- micheal mcvey

3 points- jeff reuben

4 points- arwen

5 points- matthias

Written By: meow78223 on 10/19/06 at 3:27 pm

OK, decision time.

1st place (5) -- "I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable" by Cat
2nd place (4) -- "I'm Dyslexic" by Red Ant
3rd place (3) -- "I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze" by Jeff
4th place (2) -- "It's Beginning To Look At Lot Like Ozzfest" by Matthias
5th place (1) -- "Im Jacques Clouseau" by Jack Wilson

MM

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/19/06 at 4:40 pm

OK, decision time.

5th place (1) -- "Im Jacques Clouseau" by Jack Wilson

MM
Thanks!!!!

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/24/06 at 10:58 am

5 points for #1: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
(STILL wish I'd thought of that first!)
4 points for #2: In My Gravy by Tomario
3 points for #10: I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable by Cat
2 points for #6: I'm So Unusual by Rick Cormier
1 point for #9: I've Broken A Bone Now by Arwen

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/24/06 at 6:30 pm

I enjoyed every one of these but, five spots is all I can fill. This is how I saw it:

5 points to #8: I Am Sixty

Written By: Cat on 10/24/06 at 8:46 pm

Whew!! Good thing I remembered this. And guys, despite my obscenely long break from writing, I PROMISE I will be back next week when I can finally breathe again, being that both cross country and driver's ed will be over. Anywho...

5 Points to Jeff Reuben
4 Points to Red Ant
3 Points to Johnny D
2 Points to Tomario
1 Point to Matthias

Written By: jreuben on 10/24/06 at 10:55 pm

5 pts:  Red Ant
4 pts:  Arwen
3 pts:  Stu McArthur
2 pts:  Rick Cormier
1 pt:  toMario

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/25/06 at 2:39 am

gee this was a quality field - it'd be easier to pick the winner of the Kentucky Derby - I knew the "I"s would be a fertile field....

5 points...............5: If I Were A Dick-head by Johnny D
4 points...............4: I'm Dyslexic by Red Ant
3 points...............1: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
2 points...............6: I'm So Unusual by Rick Cormier
1 points...............7: It's Beginning To Look At Lot Like Ozzfest by Matthias

Written By: Arwen on 10/25/06 at 10:59 pm

oh crap, i'm here...please give me 20 minutes to post my votes!!!  please please please!

Written By: Arwen on 10/25/06 at 11:21 pm

Phew!!!

Here we go:

5 points for #1, Jeff
4 points for #6, Rick C.
3 points for #8, Stuart
2 points for #10, Cat
1 point for #4, Red Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 10/26/06 at 3:26 am

oh crap, i'm here...please give me 20 minutes to post my votes!!!  please please please!

Well, you took 22 minutes and change, so I have to DQ you. Just kidding. Since you reviewed the parodies before midnight, and since I've noticed the inthe00s.com and AmIRight clocks are very slightly off from mine (in your favor), I am ruling your votes as counted. Begging helped, too.  ;)

However, Stu may not be so fashionably-late lenient in other contests.

The results of the ABC3-I round are:

1st place with 40 points: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
2nd place with 29 points: I'm Dyslexic by Red Ant
3rd place with 28 points: If I Were A Dick-head by Johnny D

Rick C. 19
Cat 18
Arwen 14
Stu 12
Matthias 9
Tomario 7
Michael McVey 2
Jack Wilson 1

Congratulations to Jeff, the insect guy, and Johnny D. No DQs this round, though Arwens's vote was possibly late, she would hunt me down and kill me if I DQed her twice in a row.  ;D

Note to all: My phone line, and therefore DSL connection, is marginal at best, so any corrections to points, etc. may not get addressed for a while.

Subject: Re: Voting Thread for ABC3-I: Results Posted

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/26/06 at 5:01 am

Well, you took 22 minutes and change, so I have to DQ you. Just kidding. Since you reviewed the parodies before midnight, and since I've noticed the inthe00s.com and AmIRight clocks are very slightly off from mine (in your favor), I am ruling your votes as counted. Begging helped, too.  ;)

I'm not sure I understand you, Jack - where is the doubt?

According to the ABC3 rules as I wrote them, there's no question that Arwen voted well before midnight because the time and date on the top of her post says so.

ie. and I cut-n-paste:  "Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 11:21:53 PM"

That's what I meant by "time-stamp" and I can't see any other time on her post, so it's very clear-cut.

In fact that was the intention.  The time-stamp is there for all to see and remains forever on each vote-post, so there should never be an issue, or a subjective ruling, or a reason to claim unfair (or over-generous) treatment.

...and of course, I mean the time-stamp that appears BEFORE you log in, ie. as a non-member guest would see it (because after logging in, your local time appears, if you've set it to do so, as I have.......and with Melbourne being 20 hours or so ahead of inthe00s time, using those time-reads would be VERY controversial ;)) 

AND... big and deserved congrats to Jeff, Jack, and JD (three names that make a lovely timely segue into the J-comp)

:)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/26/06 at 6:14 am

I'm not sure I understand you, Jack - where is the doubt?

Sorry to make a (faux?) example of Arwen here, but...

All of Arwen's comments were made before midnight, AmIRight time. However, her votes did not appear on this thread until 20-some minutes after midnight (board time, as I see it). Thus, assuming the two clocks are synchronized perfectly (which they aren't, see above post), she did not vote before midnight, as you stated here:

According to the ABC3 rules as I wrote them, there's no question that Arwen voted well before midnight because the time and date on the top of her post says so.

ie. and I cut-n-paste:   "Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 11:21:53 PM"

That's what I meant by "time-stamp" and I can't see any other time on her post, so it's very clear-cut.

Looks at Arwen's replies #13 and #14. The first is timed "October 25, 2006, 11:59:16 PM", the second, her votes, are timed "Today (October 26) at 12:21:53 AM".

Since my clock is profile-synched to EST (which, AFAIK, is the same as ChuckyG's/board clock: GMT- 5:00), that's why I said her votes were late on the thread.

Do Austrailians follows Daylight Saving's Time?  ???

See, this has become very messy and NOT clear-cut. By your clock, Arwen still had 30-some minutes to vote. By mine, she was 20-some minutes late. Our clocks are 1 hour off.

I'm guessing too that if Arwen thought she had 1 hour and pennies left to vote (her time, synched to this thread) she wouldn't have made reply #13.

In fact that was the intention.  The time-stamp is there for all to see and remains forever on each vote-post, so there should never be an issue, or a subjective ruling, or a reason to claim unfair (or over-generous) treatment.

Well, there is no issue. As the host of this letter, I've made my ruling, which you have supported. Arwen isn't DQed.

...and of course, I mean the time-stamp that appears BEFORE you log in, ie. as a non-member guest would see it (because after logging in, your local time appears, if you've set it to do so, as I have.......and with Melbourne being 20 hours or so ahead of inthe00s time, using those time-reads would be VERY controversial ;)) 

You lost me there. I know about the time-zone differentials, but I never log-in as a guest (I auto log-in), so I can't verify any of that. Indeed though, time zone differences can be tricky, especially when the board clock may be +/- 1 hour due to DST (which is due to change here in less than a week).

AND... big and deserved congrats to Jeff, Jack, and JD (three names that make a lovely timely segue into the J-comp)

If it makes any difference, I will take the bronze and Johnny D can have the silver, because if Arwen was DQed that's how the finish would have been (actually, since there is no tie breaker, we both would have silvered and there'd be no bronze). It doesn't matter to me; I enter these for feedback, not debating minutia about time stamps. Sorry, not to be sarcastic or anything, Stu, but the rules, as written, and given our apparent time differential, are not clear cut to me, hence my lengthy reply here.

Also, and call me having a heart or something, but I had to DQ Arwen's August SOTM entry (for which she was late, otherwise she would have hunted me down..), and having to do that again in back-to-back contests for a 20 minute late vote (my perception) just wasn't in me. She did also ask for an extension, and begged, groveled, pleaded, whatever you want to call it, for said extension.

PS: I'm seeing my time on this post (not edited) as 7:14:07 AM. Are you seeing 6:14:07?

Note to Arwen: Please vote WELL before the deadline in all contests (like, at least 3 hours  ;)) so Stu and/or I don't have to do this.

Still love ya, Stu.  :)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/26/06 at 8:21 am

PS: I'm seeing my time on this post (not edited) as 7:14:07 AM. Are you seeing 6:14:07?

Yes - I'm seeing 6:14:07 ???

so that explains it!!

why is that?  we're not on daylight savings time in Oz until this Saturday

so the "board-time" is not an absolute reference then???  I didn't know that.  Does that mean it's a function of our individual PC's time-clock?  because I just assumed everyone saw the same time there, just as they see the same posted message

anyway, the result is not in dispute - I saw Arwen as having qualified, and you ruled it as such, so we agree the fair decision was made, but I take your point that the rule I created to make things clear-cut, is in fact based on an unclear-cut premise

hmm - where is Jack Bauer when we need him?

tick, tick, tick...next week on "24"....

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/26/06 at 8:49 am

The results of the ABC3-I round are:

1st place with 40 points: I Guess That's Why We All Hit The Snooze by Jeff Reuben
2nd place with 29 points: I'm Dyslexic by Red Ant
3rd place with 28 points: If I Were A Dick-head by Johnny D

Rick C. 19
Cat 18
Arwen 14
Stu 12
Matthias 9
Tomario 7
Michael McVey 2
Jack Wilson 1

Congratulations to Jeff, the insect guy, and Johnny D. No DQs this round, though Arwens's vote was possibly late, she would hunt me down and kill me if I DQed her twice in a row.  ;D

Note to all: My phone line, and therefore DSL connection, is marginal at best, so any corrections to points, etc. may not get addressed for a while.

Congratulations to Jeff Reuben and Red Ant!

And thank you to everybody who affirmed my Transcendent Dorkiness!  ;D

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/26/06 at 3:46 pm

Congrats to Jeff, Jack and John. You sure this wasn't the "J" round???

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/26/06 at 5:14 pm

tick, tick, tick...next week on "24"....

Not tick, tick, tick...(that's 60 Minutes)

You mean

KUH_CHING!KUH_CHANG!KUH_CHANG!KUH_CHING!!... :D

(oh, and congrats to the top 3 winners!)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/26/06 at 5:19 pm

You mean

KUH_CHING!KUH_CHANG!KUH_CHANG!KUH_CHING!!... :D

LOL - perfect - it's like I'm actually watching the show....

Written By: jreuben on 10/26/06 at 7:01 pm

Sorry to make a (faux?) example of Arwen here, but...

All of Arwen's comments were made before midnight, AmIRight time. However, her votes did not appear on this thread until 20-some minutes after midnight (board time, as I see it). Thus, assuming the two clocks are synchronized perfectly (which they aren't, see above post), she did not vote before midnight, as you stated here:

Looks at Arwen's replies #13 and #14. The first is timed "October 25, 2006, 11:59:16 PM", the second, her votes, are timed "Today (October 26) at 12:21:53 AM".

Since my clock is profile-synched to EST (which, AFAIK, is the same as ChuckyG's/board clock: GMT- 5:00), that's why I said her votes were late on the thread.

Do Austrailians follows Daylight Saving's Time?  ???

See, this has become very messy and NOT clear-cut. By your clock, Arwen still had 30-some minutes to vote. By mine, she was 20-some minutes late. Our clocks are 1 hour off.

I'm guessing too that if Arwen thought she had 1 hour and pennies left to vote (her time, synched to this thread) she wouldn't have made reply #13.

Well, there is no issue. As the host of this letter, I've made my ruling, which you have supported. Arwen isn't DQed.

You lost me there. I know about the time-zone differentials, but I never log-in as a guest (I auto log-in), so I can't verify any of that. Indeed though, time zone differences can be tricky, especially when the board clock may be +/- 1 hour due to DST (which is due to change here in less than a week).

If it makes any difference, I will take the bronze and Johnny D can have the silver, because if Arwen was DQed that's how the finish would have been (actually, since there is no tie breaker, we both would have silvered and there'd be no bronze). It doesn't matter to me; I enter these for feedback, not debating minutia about time stamps. Sorry, not to be sarcastic or anything, Stu, but the rules, as written, and given our apparent time differential, are not clear cut to me, hence my lengthy reply here.

Also, and call me having a heart or something, but I had to DQ Arwen's August SOTM entry (for which she was late, otherwise she would have hunted me down..), and having to do that again in back-to-back contests for a 20 minute late vote (my perception) just wasn't in me. She did also ask for an extension, and begged, groveled, pleaded, whatever you want to call it, for said extension.

Note to Arwen: Please vote WELL before the deadline in all contests (like, at least 3 hours  ;)) so Stu and/or I don't have to do this.

Still love ya, Stu.  :)

I'm seeing the times on Arwen's post as 11:21:53, both logged in, and not logged in.  I also see the posts for yours (Red Ant's) above as 6:14:07, both logged in and not logged in.  I'm EST, but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm logged in or not.  We are on Daylight savings time here (in Maryland) for whatever that's worth.

And congrats to the other winners  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/26/06 at 8:19 pm

I figured it out (I think). Board time is CST (one hour west of EST), to which, in my profile, I'd adjusted it eons ago +1 hour to make board time appear correct with local time (as it suggests).

I think both Jeff's and Stu's clocks are off.  ;)

It should easy enough to check: Next time you guys make a post, look at the time stamp of the post and compare it to the real time (ie on your computer, watch, clock, etc). They should be pretty close.

If a train leaves Boston travelling 55 mph and heads West...  ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/26/06 at 10:23 pm

now, without having thought TOO much about this....

I too made the adjustment ages ago, in my profile, so that it shows Melbourne Australia time (about 16 hours ahead) - but I ONLY see that time if I log on.

If I haven't logged on, I see the unadjusted board-time.  It's that unadjusted board-time that I said I'd refer to, when I said the decision would always be made to the date-time-stamp.

I'm guessing that if you are permanently logged on, Jack, then you would never get to see this unadjusted board-time, and would always see your adjusted (specific to your timezone only) time.

Therefore I'll stick to my original proposition, which is to use the absolute refernence of unadjusted board-time as the deciding factor.

as I said, I'm just guessing at the obvious, so I may be wrong, but if Jeff's unadjusted board-time agrees with my unadjusted board time, and the amount that Jack differs with us (1 hour) is the exact same amount of time that Jack adjusted by in his profile to normalise to his time-zone, then that seems the simplest explanation :-\\

over...

Written By: Red Ant on 10/26/06 at 11:10 pm

Lemme try something real quick...

Okay, I see what you mean about unadjusted board time (I logged out, viewed as a guest). I also screwed around with my time offset and got some odd results. The auto-detect does not work for me (minus 11 hours from CST? Are there even 11 times zones west of CST? Where is that, the Mariannas Trench  ???).

Therefore I'll stick to my original proposition, which is to use the absolute refernence of unadjusted board-time as the deciding factor.

Gotcha.

That was entertaining, easy, and fun, was it not? I'll just have to remember that the rounds I do to allow until 1:00am my time (midnight unadjusted board time) since I'd prefer my posts time correctly to my local time zone.

PS: I'm on unadjusted board time right now. My post here shows 11:10:51 pm, right?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/27/06 at 12:49 am

PS: I'm on unadjusted board time right now. My post here shows 11:10:51 pm, right?

BINGO!!
:) :) :)

(and I'm sure Arwen will be relieved to know that her votes were never in any doubt ;))

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/27/06 at 4:38 am

Sorry for weighing into this debate so late, but I too was surprised by Jack's ruling and Arwen's panic....when Arwen posted her "oh, crap" message, I thought she had an hour up her sleeve. Glad to see you've worked it out. See Arwen; how easy it is you can get men running about in a dither after you? ;-)

I propose that in future, we use Kristof Time....for the Parody Decathlons I have a huge 20 foot high hourglass on my roof, which actually runs for 2 weeks. I get my army of trained gnomes to turn it over once a fortnight....seems to work OK except for the gnome medical bills....

Written By: Cat on 10/28/06 at 7:14 pm

Congrats to Jeff, Red Ant and JD!!!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...