inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All SOTM entrants please read this

Written By: Red Ant on 11/01/06 at 6:30 pm

Hey everyone!

After updating the PAotY standings last night, it occurred to me that the possibility of a tie for 1st place is not out of the realm of reason. I wanted to bring this up and discuss it with everyone now rather than have Murphy's Law bite me in the ass come February.

My first thought was that if there were a tie to simply have 2 authors of the year, but it is Parody Author (singular) of the Year. In the unlikely event of a tie though, we could use other criteria to determine a sole author of the year, such as placement in SOTY, medals won throughout the year, etc. While I personally dislike a direct vote-off situation (i.e. she votes for author X, he votes for author Y, and so on), I'd support that if the majority wanted it that way.

Any and all discussion relating to this is welcome and encouraged. Like I said before, even though the possibility is remote, I'd rather have a plan in effect now and avoid to potential problems in the future.

Edit and note: Please read all posts on this topic.

Subject: Re: All SOTM entrants please read this!

Written By: Matthias on 11/01/06 at 6:33 pm

I think that there should only be one winner for SOTY, because this is big, really, really big! I mean enormous! The biggest contest all year! Thus if there is a tie it will take away all the glory from the winner, it will be divided in 2 due to the number of winners. Thus there should only be one.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/01/06 at 6:44 pm

I think that there should only be one winner for SOTY, because this is big, really, really big! I mean enormous! The biggest contest all year! Thus if there is a tie it will take away all the glory from the winner, it will be divided in 2 due to the number of winners. Thus there should only be one.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to break the possible (but improbably) tie that has not yet occured?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/01/06 at 6:52 pm

I personally have no problem with 2 PAOTYs, but some might, so I think a back count would be most fair

1) Highest number of 1st placings gets it; if it's still a tie highest number of seconds then thirds
2) If in the very unlikely event it's still a tie; the person with the highest individual score for a month gets it

Written By: Red Ant on 11/01/06 at 6:58 pm

I personally have no problem with 2 PAOTYs, but some might, so I think a back count would be most fair

1) Highest number of 1st placings gets it; if it's still a tie highest number of seconds then thirds
2) If in the very unlikely event it's still a tie; the person with the highest individual score for a month gets it

That would work as well. I suppose then we have two questions at hand:

A) Would 2 PAotY be acceptable to you (whoever YOU are)? If the answer is yes, question B is more or less irrelevant unless you are in the minority opinion. If no, then:

B) What is the best way to determine a sole winner?

Written By: jreuben on 11/01/06 at 9:03 pm

Free throw shooting contest.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to break the possible (but improbably) tie that has not yet occured?

Subject: Re: All SOTM entrants please read this

Written By: tomario on 11/02/06 at 3:06 am

as someone once said "there can be only one" so a count back would be the logical thing to do .
maybe give it to the one who had the most entries this year then if a tie the most 1rst places then 2nd ect ect ect

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 7:51 am

This issue reminds me of The Apprentice last year...

I have no issue with a shared PAotY or a singular winner. Go with Kristof's first idea to decide the winner.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/02/06 at 11:41 am

I know I haven't been around much, but I did have a thought:  If there's a tie, instead of using the 7 highest scores, you use the 8 highest scores.  If there's still a tie, use the 9 highest and so on.  Just a thought.

Written By: Arwen on 11/02/06 at 5:27 pm

I know I haven't been around much, but I did have a thought:  If there's a tie, instead of using the 7 highest scores, you use the 8 highest scores.  If there's still a tie, use the 9 highest and so on.  Just a thought.

This makes the most sense to me.  :)

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 11/02/06 at 8:37 pm

If there's a tie, take a page from Al Gore ... demand vote recounts until the hanging chads fall off.  ::)

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/06 at 9:58 pm

Lightsaber Duel?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/03/06 at 8:58 am

My problem with this (should it come to tie-breaking) is that in theory the person with the fewer entries throughout the year is going to be disadvantaged. I surmised that you set the "7 best" rule so that people didn't have to enter every month to stand a chance of winning PAOTY. I think I'm just going to get my 7 entries this year, so if I was to be stuck in a tie-break with someone who had entered every month, I'd be out.... :(

btw, why didn't we discuss this possible scenario last year? Oh yeah, I forgot...Spaff was competing.    http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sheep.gif

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/03/06 at 11:38 am

My problem with this (should it come to tie-breaking) is that in theory the person with the fewer entries throughout the year is going to be disadvantaged. I surmised that you set the "7 best" rule so that people didn't have to enter every month to stand a chance of winning PAOTY. I think I'm just going to get my 7 entries this year, so if I was to be stuck in a tie-break with someone who had entered every month, I'd be out.... :(

I guess you're just gonna have to kick some butt then and make sure it's not tied. ;)

Seriously, that's a valid point.  The "7 best" rule was indeed chosen to give people who don't enter every month a chance, so perhaps using placement as a tiebreaker is a better idea, with the remaining months' totals used only as a last resort.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/03/06 at 4:01 pm

I like both Claude's and Kristof's ideas about equally, so a melding of the two ideas seems to be the best way to break a tie:

2) If in the very unlikely event it's still a tie; instead of using the 7 highest scores, you use the 8 highest scores.  If there's still a tie, use the 9 highest and so on.

Now, as unlikely as a tie is, I think needing a double-tiebreaker (#2) is just not going to happen. If Kristof, or anyone else wants to change the second part of this, I'm good with that. My first suggestion would be to use SOTY placement instead.

This isn't set in stone yet, but I'd like to have a rule that most everyone agrees with made in a week or so, one that neither favors nor disadvantages any author.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/03/06 at 5:58 pm

I like both Claude's and Kristof's ideas about equally, so a melding of the two ideas seems to be the best way to break a tie:

2) If in the very unlikely event it's still a tie; instead of using the 7 highest scores, you use the 8 highest scores.  If there's still a tie, use the 9 highest and so on.

Now, as unlikely as a tie is, I think needing a double-tiebreaker (#2) is just not going to happen. If Kristof, or anyone else wants to change the second part of this, I'm good with that. My first suggestion would be to use SOTY placement instead.

This isn't set in stone yet, but I'd like to have a rule that most everyone agrees with made in a week or so, one that neither favors nor disadvantages any author.

Yeah, I'm good with that....although a battle on the high seas with fully armed pirate ships kinda does it for me... :D

Written By: The Charnstar on 11/03/06 at 6:24 pm

Quite frankly, I rather prefer Matthias's suggestion
Lightsaber Duel?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/03/06 at 7:13 pm

Well, I loved Jeff's free-throw contest idea the best, but I hurt my shoulder last week in a light saber duel with a pirate named Algore, so I think it's unfair for me to compete injured.  ;)

Written By: Josh2 on 11/05/06 at 6:27 am

Handbags at 20 paces

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/05/06 at 7:10 am

Well, I loved Jeff's free-throw contest idea the best, but I hurt my shoulder last week in a light saber duel with a pirate named Algore, so I think it's unfair for me to compete injured.  ;)

Algore!  He's a pussycat.  Turn up the temperature a notch and he starts freaking out....

anyway, for the record, I don't have an opinion.  I agreed with Arwen agreeing with Claude, as Claude's was the most elegant solution.  Then I agreed with Claude agreeing with Kristof that Claude's idea that Arwen and I agreed with was disagreeable.

So whatever you decide, Jack, is okay with me :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/05/06 at 2:13 pm

After updating the PAotY standings last night, it occurred to me that the possibility of a tie for 1st place is not out of the realm of reason. I wanted to bring this up and discuss it with everyone now rather than have Murphy's Law bite me in the ass come February.

The Handbook says:

"In the event that the Parody Author of the Year voting results in a tie, this is the equivalent of a hung jury and the contest becomes the equivalent of a mistrial. No winner, therefore, will be declared, and the previous PAotY will retain the title for an additional year."

I'm not saying I agree with any of that, of course, but it's in The Handbook.

Which I wrote.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: jreuben on 11/06/06 at 6:29 pm

Lightsaber Duel?

Lightsabe duels give an unfair advantage to force-sensitive parody writers.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 11/07/06 at 3:21 am

Algore!  He's a pussycat.  Turn up the temperature a notch and he starts freaking out....

Yeah ... better not get him in the mix ... he'll have a fit over how much my car parodies are contributing to global warming and force us all to watch his slide show, then we'll NEVER know who was PAOTY.

Written By: philbo on 11/07/06 at 3:30 am

Personally, I'd have no problems with either joint SOTY or PAotY - if they're both up there together, does there really have to be first and second?

If you really have to decide, have a photo(shop) finish: best album parody ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/08/06 at 12:16 am

Personally, I'd have no problems with either joint SOTY or PAotY - if they're both up there together, does there really have to be first and second?

There does not (for PAotY anyway). Since I cannot find a way to break a tie that does not favor/disadvantage one author or another in some respect (no matter how minor it may appear to be *now*), and there were no provisions for a tie breaker in the past two years (nor at the beginning of this year), AND judging from the number of playful or "I'm okay with 2 PAotY/whatever..." type comments posted here, I can only conclude that in the event of a tie we should have 2 PAotY.

Matthias, Tomario, and any others, your objections are noted. Spaff: Lol!

Check for new replies or respond here...