inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ages Of Amiright: People Needed

Written By: Matthias on 01/02/07 at 5:21 pm

AGES OF AMIRIGHT

http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Stu/bosulliv/time.gif

As Kristof Robertson wraps up The Parody Decathlon...
I shall be starting "Ages Of Amiright" which will take us back to the 50's though 11 diffrent sections, each one having a specific period of time as well as a topic in which the parodies are to be about. This shall be similar to the Decathlon, which means that you have 2 weeks to write the parody and submit it, as well as during these two weeks you will be voting on the previous section.
This will start in two weeks, making it January 16th, and shall continue every 2 weeks until we have approached the 50's, making it take about, give or take 3-4 months.

For this I shall need at least 10 contestants, plus myself, making the grand total of people voting and writing parodies 11
If you are intrested in working on this 4 month project add your name below along with any questions that you may have.

I'll be happy to see this take form, people who participated in the Decathlon are encouraged, but not responsible for participating in "Ages of Amiright"

Subject: Re: Ages Of Amiright: People Needed

Written By: Cat on 01/02/07 at 5:22 pm

Now that I have a bit more spare time than when the Decathalon started...I'm in.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/02/07 at 5:52 pm

I am interested if you'll have me, I love a challenge. . .plus it gives me something else to work on for my recordings. . . .Below Average Dave

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/02/07 at 5:59 pm

Im in!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/02/07 at 6:02 pm

Before I enter, lemme check somethin'...

Nope. Still not sane. I'm in. :P

Written By: tomario on 01/03/07 at 10:00 am

just the motivation i need.....pass the crayons matron !!!

8)  :D i'm in  :D  8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/03/07 at 11:05 am

Ok, let's see if I can do this...Hopefully my baby's birth (the last week of March) and other factors won't be deterrents.

Are the topics relevant to the times selected, just wondering?  ???

Like, would a 1950's song be assigned a topic of D.A. haircuts, Eisenhower or malt shoppes?  ;)

Written By: Matthias on 01/03/07 at 8:45 pm

Ok, let's see if I can do this...Hopefully my baby's birth (the last week of March) and other factors won't be deterrents.

Are the topics relevant to the times selected, just wondering?  ???

Like, would a 1950's song be assigned a topic of D.A. haircuts, Eisenhower or malt shoppes?  ;)

Not nessesarily, the topics will be very vauge.
It will be like the Decath.
All you have to worry about is getting the song within the right time frame, and the topic
Other than that, it's all up to you

Written By: meow78223 on 01/04/07 at 11:41 am

OK, I'm in.

Meow

Written By: Matthias on 01/07/07 at 3:08 pm

So far we have...

1. Cat
2. Below Average Dave
3. Jack Wilson
4. The_Conquerer_Of_Parodies
5. Tomario
6. Agrimorfee
7. Micheal McVey
8. Matthias

I'm looking to fill at least two more spaces before the contest begins, so anybody intrested feel free to add your name to this list
It looks to be a really great contest so far, but more people are always welcome
Old folks from the Decathalon are also welcome, but not forced to join in with this
So come on people if your sceduals are open, and you're willing to have some fun join us in Ages of Amiright

Written By: Red Ant on 01/07/07 at 3:30 pm

A few questions/observations if I may:

Going back to 1950 in 5 year increments would be 12 contests; 11 if you don't make a 2005+ category.

At two weeks a piece, that's more like 6 months, not 4.

If we happen to have a parody already written that's eligble for a given timeframe and subject, do we still need to make a new one?

How tight are we going to be regarding a OS's eligiblity? For instance, if a song was written in 1989, but didn't chart/peak until 1990, will it still be allowed in the 1990-1994 round? (I'm guessing that's how the contest will be set up...)

Anyway, if I'm off on how this will work, please correct me. If I'm on track, and the answers to my questions are no and yes, then count me in.

Yes, I'm picky.  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 01/07/07 at 4:30 pm

A few questions/observations if I may:

Going back to 1950 in 5 year increments would be 12 contests; 11 if you don't make a 2005+ category.

At two weeks a piece, that's more like 6 months, not 4.

If we happen to have a parody already written that's eligble for a given timeframe and subject, do we still need to make a new one?

How tight are we going to be regarding a OS's eligiblity? For instance, if a song was written in 1989, but didn't chart/peak until 1990, will it still be allowed in the 1990-1994 round? (I'm guessing that's how the contest will be set up...)

Anyway, if I'm off on how this will work, please correct me. If I'm on track, and the answers to my questions are no and yes, then count me in.

Yes, I'm picky.  ;D

Very good questions Jack, it's about somebody had some, I couldn't have been that good,  ;D
You have questions, and I may have answers, let's see...

A.
1. 2006-2000
2. 2000-1995
3. 1995-1990
4. 1990-1985
5. 1985-1980
6. 1980-1975
7. 1975-1970
8. 1970-1965
9. 1965-1960
10. 1960-1955
11. 1955-1950

That, unless my math fails me, is 11

B. Yeah, your math on the months, however is right...

C. You do not NEED to write a new one, you may choose to, in order to fit the theme better. OR just for the hell of it, but it is not a requirement

D. I'll be pretty loose on the judging of the date, I'm not going to hunt you down and tell you to write a new one in case your a year off. BUT if you're a decade or half a decade off I will.

E. Yay, you're in!

Written By: EthanM on 01/07/07 at 5:00 pm

I'm not sure that i understand this, but i want in anyway.

Written By: Matthias on 01/07/07 at 5:09 pm

I'm not sure that i understand this, but i want in anyway.

What don't you understand Ethan? We're going through time, by 5 years till we get to 1950. In each year, just to make it fun I'm supplying a new topic to write about.
If you have any other questions, please ask them

Written By: EthanM on 01/07/07 at 6:07 pm

Does everyone do the same 5 year span/topic at the same time?

Written By: Cat on 01/07/07 at 9:06 pm

Matthias, I think it would be good to have a list of some songs from 1950-1954, considering not a lot of people are very familiar with that era.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/07/07 at 9:52 pm

To be honest, 1950 seems awfully far back for a parody. . .but I call myself a parodist for a reason. . .I will Survive:)

Written By: Cat on 01/07/07 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, Matthias, I'm thinking you should start with 1955, and then you'll have 10 rounds (a much better number than 11, I must say!)

Written By: Matthias on 01/08/07 at 8:33 am

Does everyone do the same 5 year span/topic at the same time?

Yeah, it's like Kristof's Decathalon, but instead of genres it's periods of time

Written By: Matthias on 01/08/07 at 8:37 am

Yeah, Matthias, I'm thinking you should start with 1955, and then you'll have 10 rounds (a much better number than 11, I must say!)

There's plenty of songs from 1955-1950
Here's a list of them if you don't believe me....
http://www.ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/top1/index.html

Written By: skittlesking on 01/08/07 at 1:14 pm

Hot Songs by year can also be found on the Billboard Top 100 Sites and Music Outfiters. . .

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs50-69.html
Has a Top 10 for 1950-1969, leaving out more recent times, but for me-recent times are easy anyway

http://www.maguireonline.com/1950hits.php
Top 100 Song information for the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's

Other Hints--Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley were both hot in the 50's, The Beatles largely dominated the 60's along with early going R&B artists.  Some disco became hot in the late 60's too. 

Written By: Cat on 01/08/07 at 6:23 pm

Hey, sweet, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" is up for the first half of the 50s!

Written By: meow78223 on 01/10/07 at 10:20 am

My suggestion would be to make the 10th round 1950-59.

I do have another question for everyone (not just my fellow feline), though. How do we deal with remakes? For example, suppose someone tries to enter a spoof of "Lean on Me" in the 1985-90 round because of the 1986 remake, even though the original version was released in 1972?

MM

Written By: Matthias on 01/10/07 at 12:08 pm

I do have another question for everyone (not just my fellow feline), though. How do we deal with remakes? For example, suppose someone tries to enter a spoof of "Lean on Me" in the 1985-90 round because of the 1986 remake, even though the original version was released in 1972?

MM

I'm keeping it 50-55, it might be challanging, but I have faith in you people... You can manage!!!
As for song covers, I'll allow them, because they have been written in that year by that artist... Just don't get too remake friendly, I'd like to stay away from them as much as possible

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/07 at 11:08 pm

MM

The Club Nouveau remake?  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/07 at 11:08 pm

When a song is remade, it has two birthdates-just credit the correct author most songs are remade dramatically. . .

IE

Lady Marmalade has three well known versions. . .
Patti Labell (74) was the original
All Saints did it again in the early 90s with multiple parts, signifcantly different
Moulin Rouge (4 Artists) added a hip hop section and updated the music

Same can be said about Turn The Beat Around or I Heard it through the Grape Vine. . .

Or Faith which went from Pop/Rock Love song by Sting to a Hard Rock Screamer by Limp Bizkit

Another? Every Call I Make by The Police became an R&B hit by Puff Daddy

I myself am comfortable with a cover as long as I don't then do the original in another round
I would think that'd be frowned upon. . .but if you stick to the cover's differences in your parody, you can parody a cover just like the original

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/12/07 at 3:43 am

MM

Although I'm not doing this comp (sorry, Matty!) I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in for the heck of it. I think Matty's idea was for the individual events to reflect the times they are pinned to....covers, unless they're significantly different from the original, don't often tend to do that.
If I was in the comp, I would personally shy away from covers...the only exception being when the cover is more well-known than the original: e.g. Manfred Mann's version of Springsteen's "Blinded By The Light" was the more successful recording, and is generally seen as the definitive version.
One thing I would NOT do is use boy/girl band or manufactured pop act covers of originals; they're almost always recorded for the purpose of cashing in, and don't add anything to the original (and they pretty much always suck!  ;))

Good luck with the comp, folks...I'll be watching and cheering from the sidelines!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/12/07 at 8:26 am

Dept. of Anality...

Patti Labell (74) was the original

The artist was LaBelle (which included Patti and her sisters)

Or Faith which went from Pop/Rock Love song by Sting to a Hard Rock Screamer by Limp Bizkit Not Sting-- George Michael!  :o

Every Call I Make by The Police became an R&B hit by Puff Daddy (i know you are being cute with the title...)
"I'm Missing You" by Puff Daddy incorporated The Police's "Every Breath You Take", but was not a cover. Hell, I'd brand it as a parody (Remember Puff's parody of Led Zeppelin for that Godzilla movie?  ;) )

Point being....we should avoid covers in this competition at all costs.

Written By: Matthias on 01/12/07 at 8:56 am

Allow me to be of assistance.
I will only allow covers of bands that actually change the lyrics within the song.
Such as the R&B Version of "Lady Marmalade", or Aerosmith's version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane"...
If you are just posting a cover of an earlier song, just in order to have it fit the five year period that (I think) is pretty lame, because there are plenty of songs within a five year period there is no reason why you need to do a parody to a cover song.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/12/07 at 5:27 pm

There's plenty of songs from 1955-1950
Here's a list of them if you don't believe me....
http://www.ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/top1/index.html

Thank you very much for the list.

Oh, man! There's only ONE song from 1950-1955 that I know...and it's that stupid "Sandman" song that my Mum likes. Dang!

Written By: meow78223 on 01/14/07 at 2:54 pm

Remakes: I was thinking more of the cases where someone might not know of an earlier version. One example might be UB40's 1983 remake of "Red Red Wine." The original was written by Neil Diamond in 1968, and Roy Drusky's country version (the one I like best) came out in '72.

1950-54: I don't think there's any shortage of good songs from this period. Perhaps it isn't as well-known because it was before Big Band gave way to rock'n'roll. There were quite a few good country/western hits from this period before -- just think of Hank Williams, a frequent target of Homer and Jethro parodies.

Some others:

"Release Me" (Jimmy Heap, made famous by Ray Price)
"Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight" (Johnny & Jack) used by Sha Na Na in the '70s
"I Really Don't Want To Know" (Eddy Arnold)
"There Stands the Glass" (Web Pierce)
"Crying in the Chapel" (Rex Allen, made famous by George Jones)
"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" (Kitty Wells)
"Peace In The Valley" (Red Foley)
"On Top Of Old Smokey" (The Weavers) and the famous spoof "On Top of Spaghetti"
"Cherokee Boogie" Moon Mullican (BR5-49 did a good remake in '96)
"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (Gene Autry)
"Blue Christmas" (Ernest Tubb)
"Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy" (Red Foley)
"If You've Got the Money I've Got the Time" (Lefty Frizzell) 
"Kansas City" and "Hound Dog" (Jerry Leiber)

You can also look here:
http://www.alaskajim.com/charts/yearlysingles/1954.asp
http://www.alaskajim.com/charts/yearlysingles/1953.asp
http://www.alaskajim.com/charts/yearlysingles/1952.asp
http://www.alaskajim.com/charts/yearlysingles/1951.asp
http://www.alaskajim.com/charts/yearlysingles/1950.asp

MM

Written By: Matthias on 01/15/07 at 1:54 pm

I shall have the first event up around midnight, that is if I can get to my laptop in time. If not I'll have it up tomorrow after classes.
Just think about songs from 2006 to 2000 that you want to parodize

Written By: skittlesking on 01/15/07 at 3:18 pm

Woo Hoo!!! Getting into my uniform, arrggh!!!  Fun Fun!  Sorry--lots of caffiene and sugar this morning.

Written By: PRobinson on 01/17/07 at 6:54 pm

Remakes: I was thinking more of the cases where someone might not know of an earlier version. One example might be UB40's 1983 remake of "Red Red Wine." The original was written by Neil Diamond in 1968, and Roy Drusky's country version (the one I like best) came out in '72.

MM

NoCanDo the contest, but IMHO the UB40 version of "Red, Red Wine" far outshines Neil Diamond's morose OS...and is quite different from Diamond's version musically...it also happens to be a lot of  fun!  Very joyous tune.  Now, this has little to do with anything  (except the subject of "cover songs"), but one of my favorite all-time covers is "Little Red Book" as performed by the recently deceased Arthur Lee's group "Love"in the mid-sixties.  It was written by Burt Bacharach and it probably was a vehicle for Diamond again, although I'm not sure of that...I AM pretty sure Bacharach sheesh a brick when he heard Love's version...but I'll bet he cashed the royalty checks...lol...

That's funny...the site program changed a word in my comment here to "sheesh"...lol...sheesh, the blue-nosing is getting pretty heavy around here lately...lol...whatever...I suppose I can laugh now, because the word was not integral to the meaning of what I was trying to express...yeah, a "gratuitous" expletive..."pardon moi", then, in this case...but if and when the situation starts to dilute my message in more relevant areas I won't be very pleased...guess we'll see...

P Robinson

Check for new replies or respond here...