inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Call to all Aussie parodists: return of the Wombats?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/17/07 at 7:51 am

Dear fellow Australians,

Some of you might not know, but last year myself, Stu McArthur and Luke Brattoni submitted some parodies under the moniker "A Room Full Of Wombats"; just like "A Room Full Of Monkeys", this was a collective- but dedicated to writing parodies with Australian themes. The Wombats have been hibernating for some time now, but since we now have quite a few more talented Aussie writers on the site, I'd like to get Fatso above ground again.
If you are from the Lucky Country, have a home amongst the gum trees, know what "Up There Cazaly" means, and are aware that Coober Pedy is NOT a foot disease, then I'd like to invite you to join our little rag-tag bunch. If you're interested, leave a message on the thread.

Australians all, let us read Joyce
For we have dung and fee
Weave Gordon's oil, and well-fit oil
Our homey's gut, Bassey
Our Lando bounce, with nachos.gif
Of brewed tea, Richard Wear
In his tree spade, lead "F", resprayed
And France, Australia's there!
Enjoy Phil's trains, then lettuce sing
And France....Australia's...theeerrrrre!

Subject: Re: Call to all Aussie parodists: return of the Wombats?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/17/07 at 4:22 pm

I believe the phrase is not 'Up There Cazaly' but 'Up Yours Cazaly' according to what I've heard my Dad say sometimes.

Anyways, I'm interested in this. Very interested.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/19/07 at 9:50 am

I believe the phrase is not 'Up There Cazaly' but 'Up Yours Cazaly' according to what I've heard my Dad say sometimes.

Anyways, I'm interested in this. Very interested.

Your dad must have heard it wrong or was in a bad mood when he said it. This is from Wikipedia

Up There Cazaly is an Australian sporting catchphrase inspired by former St Kilda and South Melbourne great Roy Cazaly. The expression later became the basis of a song recorded and composed by Mike Brady.

The song was recorded in 1979, intended as a promotion for Channel Seven's Australian rules football (VFL) coverage, and the following year, it was used in the film version of David Williamson's The Club. Since then it has entered Australian folklore as a song synonymous with the sport of Australian rules football, and has been a feature as part of the pre/post-match entertainment of many VFL/AFL Grand Finals.

Cazaly was a champion footballer of the early 20th Century noted for his high-flying marks in a time when Australia was involved in war.

"Up there Cazaly" was also a cry used by Australian troops during World War II.

I was a kid when the song came out, but I remember it fondly!

Anyways, it looks like it's just you and me at the moment, mate....I'm sure we'll get some of the other blokes (and sheilas?) on board soon. In the meantime, I'm up for starting a Wombats parody. If you've got any ideas for a topic and/or OS, PM me or post on this thread.

Great ta have ya on board!
K

http://www.convictcreations.com/history/images/fatso.gif

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/24/07 at 9:40 pm

as I start to claw my way back into the amiright fold (too much holiday means too much work to catch up on, on return from said) this seems like a fine place to start with...

count me in, K-dude!

but I need some inspiration, after having had precisely none for a month and a half (every half-baked idea I came up with had precisely zero legs to run with)

so don't expect ideas from me - I'll just ride on everyone else's coat-tails thanks! :D

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/26/07 at 4:17 am

as I start to claw my way back into the amiright fold (too much holiday means too much work to catch up on, on return from said) this seems like a fine place to start with...

count me in, K-dude!

but I need some inspiration, after having had precisely none for a month and a half (every half-baked idea I came up with had precisely zero legs to run with)

so don't expect ideas from me - I'll just ride on everyone else's coat-tails thanks! :D

Glad to have you back, Mr Mc!!

The only half-decent idea I've come up with is for that old favourite "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"......how about "50 Ways To Beat A Pommy"? Topical, lotsa scope for fun, and the OS is well known. What do you guys think?

Hit them in the stands, Franz
Bowl at half-pace, Jase
Don't need to wear pads, Brad
It's really easy

Written By: Peregrin on 01/26/07 at 3:45 pm

Glad to have you back, Mr Mc!!

The only half-decent idea I've come up with is for that old favourite "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"......how about "50 Ways To Beat A Pommy"? Topical, lotsa scope for fun, and the OS is well known. What do you guys think?

Hit them in the stands, Franz
Bowl at half-pace, Jase
Don't need to wear pads, Brad
It's really easy

I'll be in this :)

Question is, how do we do it ?  Communicate back and forth via PM's email, in this thread ?  How ?

How bout this as a contribution for the second verse : ?

'Cos when you're batting first in one-dayers we boo
For we know that in the evening
We'll need something *else* to do  ::)
Because your Batsman's health
It so briskly comes unglued
There's roughly fifty ways
To beat the pommies
Fifty ways to beat the pommies

This happened !  Yesterday in Adelaide (I am told, I didn't see it myself).  England won the toss, announced they would bat, and the crowd booed them !  :o :P :P :P :P  Various complaints were aired about only getting half of what had been paid for  :) :) :)  And they were right  :D

And can I suggest that the first verse needs to have a dig at the OBE's/MBE's they all got for winning the Ashes last time...as in when in the Queen gonna demand them back ?  :P

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/29/07 at 9:59 am

I'll be in this :)

Question is, how do we do it ?  Communicate back and forth via PM's email, in this thread ?  How ?

How bout this as a contribution for the second verse : ?

'Cos when you're batting first in one-dayers we boo
For we know that in the evening
We'll need something *else* to do  ::)
Because your Batsman's health
It so briskly comes unglued
There's roughly fifty ways
To beat the pommies
Fifty ways to beat the pommies

This happened !  Yesterday in Adelaide (I am told, I didn't see it myself).  England won the toss, announced they would bat, and the crowd booed them !  :o :P :P :P :P  Various complaints were aired about only getting half of what had been paid for  :) :) :)  And they were right  :D

And can I suggest that the first verse needs to have a dig at the OBE's/MBE's they all got for winning the Ashes last time...as in when in the Queen gonna demand them back ?  :P

Welcome to the fold, Pip!

Last time Stu, Luke and me PM'ed each other...with the whole OS posted, and the parody changes in a different colour. I'll PM you all the OS with what we've got so far. The general rule is, first in best dressed on any part of the song, unless you PM everyone and "reserve" a verse or chorus (if you do this, you've got to get it done ASAP)

If you want to work on that first verse,  it's yours! And I'll include your contribution to the work-in-progress

Written By: Peregrin on 01/30/07 at 5:43 am

Welcome to the fold, Pip!

Last time Stu, Luke and me PM'ed each other...with the whole OS posted, and the parody changes in a different colour. I'll PM you all the OS with what we've got so far. The general rule is, first in best dressed on any part of the song, unless you PM everyone and "reserve" a verse or chorus (if you do this, you've got to get it done ASAP)

If you want to work on that first verse,  it's yours! And I'll include your contribution to the work-in-progress

Okay !  I am waiting for the PM then :)

Written By: holicman on 01/30/07 at 9:16 am

Ok Parodists, what do I need to know ??

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/30/07 at 11:05 am

Ok Parodists, what do I need to know ??

Check your PM, holicman!

Just a quick note to all current Wombats; if you add something (as described in your PMs), post it to the whole group, not just me

Good luck!

Written By: Peregrin on 01/30/07 at 5:09 pm

Welcome the H-Man  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...