inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: POTM (Performance of the Month-Catch Up Round) (Entry Deadline: March 13, 2007)

Written By: skittlesking on 02/26/07 at 10:36 am

This one will become a "Recording of the Month Contest" starting with March entries. . .however for all entries posted from Feb 28th of this year and before, this is going to be the "Catch up Round" contest . . .the rules will be almost identical to the actual writer's contest in that it must be submitted to the AmIRight Recordings section.  Because this is the first contest, I'm starting the thread early and allowing through March 13, 2007 at 10pm to enter. . .Please note this is NOT limited to soundclick.com. . .any Parody performance is elligible regardless of where it is hosted so long as it has been submitted to AmIRight's Performances, to check if yours has been check the archive http://www.amiright.com/performances/ and if you have a performance you want to enter that isn't on AmIRight. . .feel free to submit it to AmIRight http://www.amiright.com/performances/submit.shtml

Rules for this contest

1.  This month, ANY parody recording submitted to AmIRight prior to March 1, 2007 is elligible

2. All Entrants must enter by March 13, 2007 at 10pm

3. Voting will end March 31, 2007 at 11:59pm

4. All Entrants must vote and comment on the recordings entered by the above date

5. All SOTM entrants past and present  are elligible to vote wether they enter this contest or not

6. All ABC1,2 or 3 entrants are elligible to vote wether they enter this contest or not

7. Once you enter a recording contest, you are elligible to vote in future comps wether or not you enter

8. Failure to vote by the deadline will result in forfeit of your points

9. Failure to vote will result in a penalty of 20 points to be applied to your next contest(s) (no DQs)

10. Songs featuring different vocalists are ok, but the entrants will be listed based on their WRITERS

11. Once You've Voted, You can not change your vote UNLESS your vote was invalid

12.  In the event of a tie, the song with the most 1st place wins
       If it is still tied, 2nd place
       If it is still tied, 3rd place
       If it is still tied, a Tie Breaker for one week into the following month will be held
      The nature of this contest means that the top 10 spots will hold tie breaking procedures
      The same tie breaking procedures will appear for the POTY contest.

13.  You can't vote for your own song

14. You can't vote for another song more than once in the same contest

15. I will do a sound clip type recording of winning clips on my upcoming internet weekly radio show on badave.com and will make a full version containing the top 10 (assuming there are enough entrants to do it) available to all for listen only. . .this will automatically include everyone who places, however, if you wish to be part of the contest and DON'T want to be part of either sound clip, just let me know, it will not affect your participation, but would leave you out of the badave.com promotion of your music as it is part of that promotion.  This is being offered as an inititive to get people involved.  Also Jeff Reuben has stated that we may be able to work out something with a radio station he occassionally appears on to include a clip of winning artists (this means it will be important we put our best parodies forward on the top end)  This is going to be a changing of focus for some I know, but it's going to be worth it, and it will be great. . .

Subject: Re: First Ever Recording Contest (Entry Deadline: March 13, 2007)

Written By: jreuben on 02/26/07 at 11:38 am

This one will become a "Recording of the Month Contest" starting with March entries. . .however for all entries posted from Feb 28th of this year and before, this is going to be the "Catch up Round" contest . . .

Rules for this contest

1.  This month, ANY parody recording submitted to AmIRight is elligible regardless of when posted

Great idea Dave.

So, if a song is submitted between March 1st and March 13th, is it eligible for this round, or would it need to wait until the March SOTM-R?  From what you said at the top it sounds like no, but from rule 1 it sounds like yes.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/26/07 at 4:25 pm

Great idea Dave.

So, if a song is submitted between March 1st and March 13th, is it eligible for this round, or would it need to wait until the March SOTM-R?  From what you said at the top it sounds like no, but from rule 1 it sounds like yes.

There we go, I changed it. . .March parodies will be the first SOTM-R elligible entrants. . .This one is intended for February and before in order to allow people to include "Catch-Up" parodies, thank you for asking that, It allowed me to make something more clear on the rules:)

Written By: Matthias on 02/26/07 at 5:05 pm

Sounds fun.... I might need a bit of help, but I would sure like to participate in this

Written By: skittlesking on 02/26/07 at 5:29 pm

Sounds fun.... I might need a bit of help, but I would sure like to participate in this

Well Matthias, you know you have me in your pocket for help whenever you need it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. . .Mime in Your Life does qualify for this one, and anything submitted today or tomorrow would also. . .anything you need let me know:)

Written By: philbo on 02/27/07 at 6:56 am

Can we ban Spaff?

...only joking :)

I love the idea, but finding the time to listen to them all might be tricky for me.  I guess it depends on the number of entrants (which is probably going to be a lot higher first time round for obvious reasons)

Question: should we be deciding on the quality of the writing, recording or simple "well, I liked this one best"?  There's some people who are going to struggle to get anything up to the Robert Lund standard of production.. hell, that's pretty much all of us.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/27/07 at 9:38 am

Can we ban Spaff?

...only joking :)

I love the idea, but finding the time to listen to them all might be tricky for me.  I guess it depends on the number of entrants (which is probably going to be a lot higher first time round for obvious reasons)

Question: should we be deciding on the quality of the writing, recording or simple "well, I liked this one best"?  There's some people who are going to struggle to get anything up to the Robert Lund standard of production.. hell, that's pretty much all of us.

Combo of all of it. . .the writing contest already exists so this one is more about the recording, not so much the quality of it but the performance of it as a whole. . .

Obviously the main thing is wether or not it makes you laugh, how funny is it. . .it should take in to account all of things you mentioned, and certainly how much effort into the quality of recording should take some significance, but most importantly, did it make you laugh.  Generally, I feel Overall Performance, if you were to rate the songs, which ones would you give "Overall Performance" the highest grades on--keeping in mind the goal is to be funny, if a song wasn't funny (which means it simply was pleasing to the ears), or a song had funny lyrics but was performed in a manner that wasn't, or the song didn't sound like a parody because of terrible pacing. . .I mean kinda similar to the writing contest, except it's by listening instead.

The good thing about this contest, most of us hear the parodies before they enter a contest which would allow entrants to leave comments they may have already been thinking. . .Here's the list of factors though one should probably give the most thought to when ranking. . .

1. Was the song funny? 
2. How was the overall performance?
3. Did it pace well to the original?
4. How complete was it?
5. How much effort was put into it?

If a song gets you cracking up, then it probably should be in the top 5. . .I hope to get a large first entry draft similar to the SOTM contests to start off with a huge kick. . .for the first contest I will be some what liberal with the deadline date and remind people that the parodies have not yet been voted on towards the end of the deadline. . .in the future these will start the 8th, similar to the actual SOTM. . .

I think I should dub this
POTM  (Performance of the Month)  . . .anyway, I hope that helps, it's really more up to you what you enjoy and find funny.  That is the main goal of any parody, and it's something you are very good at--making people laugh. . .and since there already is a writing contest, this one is more on Overall Performance which means what is funny, did it pace, and was the effort there?

Written By: jreuben on 02/27/07 at 2:23 pm

I think I should dub this
POTM  (Performance of the Month)  . . .anyway, I hope that helps, it's really more up to you what you enjoy and find funny.  That is the main goal of any parody, and it's something you are very good at--making people laugh. . .and since there already is a writing contest, this one is more on Overall Performance which means what is funny, did it pace, and was the effort there?

How can we work another T in there?  It would rock if someone received the POTTY Award for the Performance Of This Tremendous Year  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 02/27/07 at 5:29 pm

Alright I'll Play... Here's my submittion
"Mime In Your Life": http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1172060289.shtml

Written By: skittlesking on 02/27/07 at 6:10 pm

I think I will accompany that entry with my "Weenie on a Hot Bun"  Arguably the biggest hit of my 2007 parodies thus far, and certainly a weenier among P3. . .

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1171306822.shtml

The more the merrier!!! 

Subject: Re: POTM (Performance of the Month-Catch Up Round) (Entry Deadline: March 13, 20

Written By: jreuben on 02/28/07 at 11:45 am

It's time to bring out the Dueling Damsels, I'm in with

A Bar Maid Fight!

Subject: Re: POTM (Performance of the Month-Catch Up Round) (Entry Deadline: March 13, 20

Written By: Josh2 on 02/28/07 at 2:44 pm

I'll enter my 'Threw Up in the Car' which is locate at:

www.soundclick.com/josh2

Subject: Re: POTM (Performance of the Month-Catch Up Round) (Entry Deadline: March 13, 2007)

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Josh. . .

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1166815600.shtml
is the link to your AmIRight submission for that too for comment purposes (I'm posting it so that I include it on the entry list next to your recording)

Subject: Re: POTM (Performance of the Month-Catch Up Round) (Entry Deadline: March 13, 2007)

Written By: skittlesking on 03/01/07 at 10:51 am

So many comps ending at once. . .busy month--March Madness. . .4 entries already, and 12 days of entrants to go. . .I'm thinking maybe the deadline should be the 7th, but alas--I said 13th. . .so it will stay 13th

Written By: philbo on 03/01/07 at 1:51 pm

I have a fun one coming up for the March competition, but here's an oldie for now:

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1172715072.shtml

Paroduri te salutant ;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/12/07 at 7:04 pm

After much to-ing and fro-ing, and finally because of a lovely message from Dave, I've decided to enter my Hookers:

Hookers At My Front Door

This should be fun!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/13/07 at 5:43 am

OK, Dave asked if I were going to submit something for this comp. I wasn't going to but, changed my mind.

I have a couple of friends who played ukelele and spoons on this one. I did the bass and the majority of the vocals.

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1161048572.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...