inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: February SOTM Entry Thread

Written By: Matthias on 03/01/07 at 9:48 am

February 2007
Song Of The Month Contest

~~Entries begin after the last parody update of the month.

~~Any song that is posted on AmiRight during the contest month (this year) is eligible.

~~To enter, reply to this thread with the url of your entry.

~~On the eighth day of the month, entries close and voting begins.

~~Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order:  
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest past or present may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~When the new month begins, the first person to enter the next contest may copy this message and start the new entry thread with it.

~~Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that month's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

Subject: Re: February SOTM Entry Thread

Written By: Matthias on 03/01/07 at 9:54 am

http://clonecone.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/trogdor-741404.jpg

Don't Forget To Dismember Thee
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/carrieunderwood7.shtml

Don't Know The OS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKv5v-HUwM

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/01/07 at 10:26 am

Well, with one parody written in February, it's a really hard choice for me, isn't it?  ;)

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3474/shopcopymp6.th.jpg
click to enlarge

(Buy,Buy) An African Child

Good luck, all!

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/01/07 at 10:49 am

For my second place win (because I already know who will get first place  ;D )--

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/naughtybynature3.shtml

DKTOS? Youtube: http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/naughtybynature3.shtml

Written By: skittlesking on 03/01/07 at 10:56 am

You know, I have 5 little guys to choose from, but one of my songs last month did something that no other song has. . .It topped the Adult Comedy charts twice, and hit 2nd once, 7th once, and 10th in the Overall Comedy Charts. . .It's performance leads me to believe. . .That my Weenie On A Hot Bun is the one begging to be considered this month.

Well, I may not be the Winner. . .but I sure am the Weenier
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/christinaaguilera16.shtml

ANd of course, recorded as always
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=633166&songID=4989198

If there really is someone who wasn't around for this one. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hKDQ3nRmw

Written By: Jason on 03/01/07 at 2:43 pm

My parody "When A Man Has A Sex Change" (parody of When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/percysledge10.shtml

Good luck to all of you!

Jason.

Written By: Max Power on 03/01/07 at 6:03 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/jamesbrown7.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMIND6I7YA

Written By: Cat on 03/01/07 at 6:08 pm

DAMN YOU KRISTOF!! I thought I had a chance this month... :\'(

(okay Cat, time to stop being bitter about still lacking a SOTM gold. After all, this month was when you got your first-ever medal last year...)

Anyway, here's my entry.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5861/gutoi2.jpg

You'd Better Go Hide Your Gut

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 03/02/07 at 12:29 am

I hate February, it's too short. I didn't get a parody submitted until the 28th and it wasn't posted until today (the 1st). I believe that DQ's me for this month  :\'(
... unless, of course, anyone wants to make an exception...

Written By: The Charnstar on 03/02/07 at 4:01 am

Extra-Terrestrial Girl is my only entry this month, I hope ye enjoy

Written By: tomario on 03/02/07 at 4:27 am

Uneven Symphony No3 For Vocal Chords In A Flat Minor

the title is so i can enter the "U" contest and it's a preemptive submission for "AGES 60 - 65 "

will post o/s later can't do it from this pc. >:(

this what can happen if you take your parody writing too seriously or your late submitting !

http://www.kf6nvr.net/blog/archives/images/computing_stress.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/02/07 at 1:55 pm

I hate February, it's too short. I didn't get a parody submitted until the 28th and it wasn't posted until today (the 1st). I believe that DQ's me for this month  :\'(
... unless, of course, anyone wants to make an exception...

I vote a Yea. Anyone else? ???

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/02/07 at 2:31 pm

No Frog Can Flee The Gizzard

Written By: skittlesking on 03/02/07 at 7:38 pm

I vote a Yea. Anyone else? ???

I'll throw my hat in for a yes too. . .It won't be the same without our favorite mustang jockey, how many people have to say yes. . .?

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 03/03/07 at 8:40 pm

I'll throw my hat in for a yes too. . .It won't be the same without our favorite mustang jockey, how many people have to say yes. . .?

I don't know. My plan was to enter "My Family's Strange" (which was basically finished a while ago but I was busy with college responsibilities.) I won't try to deny that it wasn't late (damn that short month!), but I want to make sure that I'm complying with the rules. I've seen several cases in the past of people who got their songs posted a day late and were disqualified from that month's SOTM. I'd like to hear from as many people as possible on this before the entry week is over, please.
Otherwise I'll just have to wait till next month.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/04/07 at 5:31 pm

I don't know. My plan was to enter "My Family's Strange" (which was basically finished a while ago but I was busy with college responsibilities.) I won't try to deny that it wasn't late (damn that short month!), but I want to make sure that I'm complying with the rules. I've seen several cases in the past of people who got their songs posted a day late and were disqualified from that month's SOTM. I'd like to hear from as many people as possible on this before the entry week is over, please.
Otherwise I'll just have to wait till next month.

I've always allowed "late" votes as long as they're in before I tally and post the results.  I've also extended the voting period before, especially in February, which always sneaks up on people.  Stu didn't note you as a DQ and I wasn't going to, either, so you're clear to enter.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/04/07 at 6:28 pm

I've always allowed "late" votes as long as they're in before I tally and post the results.  I've also extended the voting period before, especially in February, which always sneaks up on people.  Stu didn't note you as a DQ and I wasn't going to, either, so you're clear to enter.

Claude, wannabemustangjockey is asking whether a parody with a March datestamp can be entered into the February SOTM comp, which has never been allowed before, and would set a bit of a precedent in my mind.  That's why I haven't raised my hand to support him, although I note that he has gathered some support.  I think that if entering submissions from another month is allowed, it must be allowed next time, and from then on - which would compromise the integrity of the comp

I suspect by your answer and reasoning that you think he's asking whether he's been disqualified for voting late in January's comp, which isn't the case.  I didn't call him on his slightly late vote submission in Jan SOTM, because I created that 1-minute-late-is-too-late rule for the ABCs, so there would not be any subjective vote-allowing decisions.  Although I beleive that rule should apply also in the SOTMs, I realise I'd need a lot of people to agree with me to get it through, and I'm happy to leave it, unless on reading this other people agree with me

again, it's not personal - it's all about the danger of setting precedents which could will ultimately undermine the comp 

Written By: Cat on 03/04/07 at 6:31 pm

Argh, people...stop bickering and start SUBMITTING! We don't want a small SOTM this month!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/04/07 at 6:38 pm

Argh, people...stop bickering and start SUBMITTING! We don't want a small SOTM this month!

I think making a decision to allow parodies from outside the month into a SOTM is a big call, Cat - not bickering - as wannabe fairly points out, other people have been in his position in the past, and not been allowed to enter

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/04/07 at 6:54 pm

Claude, wannabemustangjockey is asking whether a parody with a March datestamp can be entered into the February SOTM comp, which has never been allowed before, and would set a bit of a precedent in my mind.  That's why I haven't raised my hand to support him, although I note that he has gathered some support.  I think that if entering submissions from another month is allowed, it must be allowed next time, and from then on - which would compromise the integrity of the comp

I suspect by your answer and reasoning that you think he's asking whether he's been disqualified for voting late in January's comp, which isn't the case.  I didn't call him on his slightly late vote submission in Jan SOTM, because I created that 1-minute-late-is-too-late rule for the ABCs, so there would not be any subjective vote-allowing decisions.  Although I beleive that rule should apply also in the SOTMs, I realise I'd need a lot of people to agree with me to get it through, and I'm happy to leave it, unless on reading this other people agree with me

again, it's not personal - it's all about the danger of setting precedents which could will ultimately undermine the comp 

Oops.  You're right; I did jump to that conclusion, as I'm pretty sure wbmj was the last to vote.  Yes, that's a rule that's always been completely objective:  Parodies that appear under the "March 1st" heading have never been eligible for the Feb. SOTM. 

And I do see your point about subjectivity -- once you start letting people slide, it's a slippery slope -- I guess I was always just so arrogantly certain that I would make the "right" decision that I didn't mind allowing that subjectivity.  But now that I've officially decided to permanently hand the running of the SOTMs over, I can say with complete confidence that I think subjective decisions should be avoided wherever possible and a strict deadline should always be enforced.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/04/07 at 7:17 pm

well, as the creator of the ingenious parody-comp concept Claude, your support is big support to get, so I move that the 12 o'clock midnight voting deadline be strictly enforced in the SOTMs the way that it is in the ABCs

and by 12 o'clock midnight, I mean 12 o'clock on the inthe00's clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - because that time is a constant wherever you are on the planet  (after you log in, the time may change to your timezone, if you've ticked that option in your preferences, or if you are permanently logged in, as Red Ant is, which is why there was slight confusuion over this once before)

Reasons:

1. So far in the ABCs there hasn't been a single issue with it, and the disqualification count is actually down on what it used to be

2. It eliminates pleading from late voters, and the consequent subjective reaction to that pleading. 

3. It eliminates dodgy precedents.  If a late vote is allowed because someone's granny died, that precedent is set, and then there could be a flurry of dead grannies (is "flurry" the correct collective noun there ???)

4. It also eliminates suspicion.  If one person's plea works, and the next person's fails, the second pleader would feel he/she is being discriminated against for personal reasons (and with good reason because maybe he/she is)

5.  If you are leading in a comp and are hoping to win, you will know exactly if you have won or not on the stroke of midnight, without having to worry about a johnny(jilly?)-come-lately posting votes 2 hours later and bumping you out - which would/could be very irritating

6. as wbmj points out below, there is a whole month to vote, so it's hard to take a claim that there wasn't enough time to make the deadline (for any reason) seriously

I think the rules say I need a majority to get this through - is that right someone?

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 03/04/07 at 7:40 pm

That means I have to wait until next month to enter, is that correct?

And another question: If you also choose to strictly enforce the midnight voting deadline, I'll have to make sure that I adjust the time I set aside for voting to be at least 3 hours earlier, as I am in California and therefore 3 hours behind the forum's clock. I've always tried to finish my voting before 12 o'clock my time, which I was unable to do this time due to homework responsibilities that ran later than expected. It's been brought up before that there's always been a grace period to account for people in different time zones, and I've taken advantage of it before. I just looked at the timestamp on my votes, and they do indeed show up as being posted on March 1 at 1:44 am. It was 10:44pm on Feb 28 where I am and I figured I was all set. Perhaps what I really need to do is take care of my voting earlier in the month in the future.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/04/07 at 7:54 pm

well, as the creator of the ingenious parody-comp concept Claude, your support is big support to get, so I move that the 12 o'clock midnight voting deadline be strictly enforced in the SOTMs the way that it is in the ABCs

and by 12 o'clock midnight, I mean 12 o'clock on the inthe00's clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - because that time is a constant wherever you are on the planet  (after you log in, the time may change to your timezone, if you've ticked that option in your preferences, or if you are permanently logged in, as Red Ant is, which is why there was slight confusuion over this once before)

Reasons:

1. So far in the ABCs there hasn't been a single issue with it, and the disqualification count is actually down on what it used to be

2. It eliminates pleading from late voters, and the consequent subjective reaction to that pleading. 

3. It eliminates dodgy precedents.  If a late vote is allowed because someone's granny died, that precedent is set, and then there could be a flurry of dead grannies (is "flurry" the correct collective noun there ???)

3. It also eliminates suspicion.  If one person's plea works, and the next person's fails, the second pleader would feel he/she is being discriminated against for personal reasons (and with good reason because maybe he/she is)

4.  If you are leading in a comp and are hoping to win, you will know exactly if you have won or not on the stroke of midnight, without having to worry about a johnny(jilly?)-come-lately posting votes 2 hours later and bumping you out - which would/could be very irritating

I think the rules say I need a majority to get this through - is that right someone?

A Majority would have to vote when they vote if I read the rule correctly, so it would need to be listed in the entry list as a rule suggestion. . .and then we'd vote on it, all those in favor of passing the rule would have to say so, and if the majority of voters say yes. . .then it passes. . .I hope that those who aren't in this round still vote, there are so many that are either DQ or didn't participate in February. . .The comp isn't going to be as large as normal.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/04/07 at 7:58 pm

That means I have to wait until next month to enter, is that correct?

And another question: If you also choose to strictly enforce the midnight voting deadline, I'll have to make sure that I adjust the time I set aside for voting to be at least 3 hours earlier, as I am in California and therefore 3 hours behind the forum's clock. I've always tried to finish my voting before 12 o'clock my time, which I was unable to do this time due to homework responsibilities that ran later than expected. It's been brought up before that there's always been a grace period to account for people in different time zones, and I've taken advantage of it before. I just looked at the timestamp on my votes, and they do indeed show up as being posted on March 1 at 1:44 am. It was 10:44pm on Feb 28 where I am and I figured I was all set. Perhaps what I really need to do is take care of my voting earlier in the month in the future.

yes, to answer your last point first - that should have been my reason #6 above (in fact I might add it - thanks wbmj :)) - there is a whole month to vote, so pleading that there wasn't enough time to vote shouldn't even happen, let alone cause problems

but to your main question, the answer is yes - it's the forum clock that you work to, not your time-zone adjusted clock - pretty simple though - your deadline is 9pm sharp on the last day of the month

(as I've said before, re the ABCs, if it went by my time-adjusted clock, half the votes would be disqualified as I'm 16 hours ahead of the forum clock)

and as you also say, "because grace has always been given before" is the sort of precedent problem that will blow up one day, when someone suddenly isn't given that grace

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/04/07 at 8:07 pm

A Majority would have to vote when they vote if I read the rule correctly, so it would need to be listed in the entry list as a rule suggestion. . .and then we'd vote on it, all those in favor of passing the rule would have to say so, and if the majority of voters say yes. . .then it passes. . .I hope that those who aren't in this round still vote, there are so many that are either DQ or didn't participate in February. . .The comp isn't going to be as large as normal.

I'm tipping there'll be a flurry of entries soon (yes, "flurry" is my default collective noun) B.A.Dave

and thanks for clarifying the new rule thing - Matthias, could you please my motion above to the voting for this month's voting thread? 

thanks  :)

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 03/04/07 at 10:07 pm

yes, to answer your last point first - that should have been my reason #6 above (in fact I might add it - thanks wbmj :)) - there is a whole month to vote, so pleading that there wasn't enough time to vote shouldn't even happen, let alone cause problems

but to your main question, the answer is yes - it's the forum clock that you work to, not your time-zone adjusted clock - pretty simple though - your deadline is 9pm sharp on the last day of the month

(as I've said before, re the ABCs, if it went by my time-adjusted clock, half the votes would be disqualified as I'm 16 hours ahead of the forum clock)

and as you also say, "because grace has always been given before" is the sort of precedent problem that will blow up one day, when someone suddenly isn't given that grace

Okay, so I'll be sitting this one out then. Having never missed an SOTM since August 2005, am I still able to vote on the February SOTM, or not? I'm a little unclear on that.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/04/07 at 10:53 pm

YES.  absolutely, in fact, because you've been in SOTM, you are elligible to vote in all SOTM's, POTM's and ABC's wether or not you enter them physically. . .

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/05/07 at 10:25 pm

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/84/frog20legsthumben1.jpg

Guilty Teeth Have Frogs Legs Bitten

to George Michael's "Careless Whisper"

and I also propose this rule addition -

Any entrant whose votes don't show a timestamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception

Written By: K1chyd on 03/06/07 at 4:16 am

Okay, so I'll be sitting this one out then. Having never missed an SOTM since August 2005, am I still able to vote on the February SOTM

You and me both man, and it has to happen sooner or later, often because of a normally uninteresting thing sometimes referred to as IRL. The two of us and Matthias where the only three to enter all rounds last year so I guess we had it coming. What's Ms excuse for untireing consistency?  :P

Written By: philbo on 03/06/07 at 7:34 am

One of those months where I have found it very hard to choose a song to submit.  After a roll of the dice, I'm going with:

Everything Shows

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/06/07 at 8:17 pm

Im itchin to enter "Poison Ivy"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/marcyplayground2.shtml

Written By: tmayfield on 03/07/07 at 1:16 am

This month has left me high and dry (not really!)  ;D

Parody when wet:
"Home In The Rain" to "Home On The Range"

Check for new replies or respond here...