inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 SONG OF THE YEAR VOTING THREAD: RESULTS POSTED!

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/07 at 12:32 am

Welcome everybody.  This contest includes the top three finishers from each month's Song of the Month Contest last year, plus the Wild Card Round, just completed.  The rules are a little different, to encourage maximum participation. 

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.
~~Vote by choosing your seven favorites in order.  Seven points to your favorite, six points to your second favorite and so on.
~~You are NOT required to leave a comment on every parody. 
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own parody.
~~Once you vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Points do NOT count toward the Parody Author of the Year Contest.
~~Voting ends at midnight, eastern standard time, March 31st.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1: Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards by Red Ant

2: Billy Ray's Movie Theme Tunes, No. 2: Speed by Kristof Robertson

3: Bizarre Mangled Stammer by Phil Alexander

4: Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey

5: Can't Fill This Order by Cat

6: Can't Find Me a Guy by Arwen

7: Chia Pests by Rick Cormier

8: The Cigarettes by Red Ant

9: Commando by Rick Cormier

10: Crazy for Chips by Below Average Dave

11: The Elephant Man by Jeff Reuben

12: Fillings by Cat

13: For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All by Kristof Robertson

14: I Have No Career by Matthias

15: Internet Poultry Auction by Kristof Robertson

16: Mad Libs by Agrimorfee

17: Name is Jack by Red Ant

18: No Good Bastards Inc. by the_conqueror_of_parodies

19: Nothin' Sells Like The Holy Spirit by Kristof Robertson

20: Office Work (We Don't Care) by 2nz

21: Play Madonna's Movies by Stuart McArthur

22: Please Invest! by Stuart McArthur

23: Please, Sausager Stuffski by Johnny D

24: ( Dry Man Gets No ) Putrefaction by Johnny D

25: sheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer by Stu McArthur

26: Spamming Pests by Red Ant

27: Things That Provoke My Ire by Cat

28: The Times When I Just Didn't Think by Kristof Robertson

29: These Women I've Desired by Stuart McArthur

30: The Turkey Song by Phil Alexander

31: Twas A Spoilt Brat At Christmas by Kristof Robertson

32: TyrantFest by wannabemustangjockey

33: Undead By The Bite by Phil Alexander

34: We Want to Kick the Tires by wannabemustangjockey

35: Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier

36: The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen

37: You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur

38: You've Been Blessed (An Ode to Cults) by Cat

39: The Zipper Took It All by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Subject: Re: 2006 SONG OF THE YEAR VOTING THREAD

Written By: skittlesking on 03/02/07 at 10:57 am

Holy Cow that's a lot of entries. . .I'm assuming all involved parodists have to vote right or am I misunderstanding, that's so much to read :o  I'll do it though. . .

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/02/07 at 2:09 pm

Holy Cow that's a lot of entries. . .I'm assuming all involved parodists have to vote right or am I misunderstanding, that's so much to read :o  I'll do it though. . .

This is one you DON'T have to vote for, Dave: but everyone who has an entry should have a go (IMHO). Having made that pronouncement, I have to come clean and admit I missed last year's SOTY voting. I will, however, rectify that this year....

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/02/07 at 2:44 pm

It's incredible and wonderful to have 2 folks join us in the fray whose names weren't all that familiar to us, or even existing at Amiright, in last year's competition. Let's give a special hand to Cat (with an incredible 4 entries!) and B.A.D.!

8)

This is going to be a rough comp!

Written By: skittlesking on 03/02/07 at 7:33 pm

It's incredible and wonderful to have 2 folks join us in the fray whose names weren't all that familiar to us, or even existing at Amiright, in last year's competition. Let's give a special hand to Cat (with an incredible 4 entries!) and B.A.D.!

8)

8)  Thank you Agimorfee. . .I feel very welcomed, and I agree with Kristof, everyone involved should vote. . .and even those not involved, everyone should vote on SOTY. . .I would be a wee bit upset if the winner of the comp chose not to participate. . .it would be IMHO unappreciative if someone won without voting. . .I will vote:) 

Written By: ThaConqueror on 03/04/07 at 11:30 pm

This is definitely going to be rough...me and B.A.D. are in for a tough time...

Written By: skittlesking on 03/04/07 at 11:39 pm

This is definitely going to be rough...me and B.A.D. are in for a tough time...

Well, Conq, I hold your towel, if you hold mine:)  I think this is one comp where Honorable mention will actually feel honorable.  Dabbing zero tears with towell already:)

Written By: Arwen on 03/06/07 at 4:36 pm

Wow...I promise that I'm going to vote.  I've done a really bad job at voting lately...I've kind of done a bad job at even entering, to be honest...but I'm going to vote...just so you all know.  Not that you care...but in case you remember who I am... ;)...rest assured that I'll be re-visiting your best of the past year...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/08/07 at 12:33 pm

Wow...I promise that I'm going to vote.  I've done a really bad job at voting lately...I've kind of done a bad job at even entering, to be honest...but I'm going to vote...just so you all know.  Not that you care...but in case you remember who I am... ;)...rest assured that I'll be re-visiting your best of the past year...

Why don't you just vote now, slacker?

Written By: Matthias on 03/08/07 at 12:35 pm

Ash is stepping into dangerous territory  ;)

Written By: Arwen on 03/08/07 at 12:41 pm

Well, for heaven's sake...voting at ALL is a big deal...I don't want anyone to die of shock that I voted 3 weeks early.

Sheesh...I'm looking out for my AmiRight brothers. 

Jerk.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/08/07 at 12:59 pm

Well, for heaven's sake...voting at ALL is a big deal...I don't want anyone to die of shock that I voted 3 weeks early.

Sheesh...I'm looking out for my AmiRight brothers. 

Jerk.

Jerker.

Written By: Arwen on 03/08/07 at 2:26 pm

Jerker.

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/08/07 at 5:32 pm

Jerker.

Jerkers Of The World, UNITE -- You Have Nothing To Lose But Your Chains!

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~bobofwa/06-17-00_soda_jerk_sign_at_beerfest.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/09/07 at 7:37 am

http://www.dvdfuture.com/images/upload/jerk1.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/09/07 at 7:48 am

Whew! This was a tough, tough decision to break down my 11 favorites down to 7. (That's why Cat and Rick C. deserve any other votes that they get... :-[)

7pts=For The Discerning Buyer
6pts=Please Sausager Stuffski
5pts=sheDevil's Showdown
4pts=Blinded By Headlights
3pts=Can't Find Me A Guy
2pts=TyrantFest
1pt=You And Me Betty

Written By: Cat on 03/09/07 at 9:14 pm

It's all right, Agri! (I mean, this most likely is headed in the direction of a certain K-man, after all.)

Written By: skittlesking on 03/09/07 at 10:06 pm

It's all right, Agri! (I mean, this most likely is headed in the direction of a certain K-man, after all.)

Yep. . .I mean I'm honored just to be mentioned myself, I'm not offended and don't expect to really rate high in this comp--I don't have that kinda pull

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/12/07 at 9:15 am

Yep. . .I mean I'm honored just to be mentioned myself, I'm not offended and don't expect to really rate high in this comp--I don't have that kinda pull

You know what Chicago Cubs fans say every year, don't ya Dave?  ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/12/07 at 10:39 am

You know what Chicago Cubs fans say every year, don't ya Dave?  ;)

Fire Dusty?  (Oh wait, they did that)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/12/07 at 7:59 pm

Keanu Reeves?

Kevin Costner?

Kim Jong-Il?

Kaptain Kangaroo?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you are referring to yours truly, don't be too sure. I wouldn't want to bet on this with my last penny...I think it's going to be REALLY close.

Written By: meow78223 on 03/19/07 at 3:50 pm

7th place---"Twas a spoilt brat at Christmas" by Kristof
6th place---"Please Sausager Stuffski" by Johnny D
5th place---"Fillings" by Cat
4th place---"Were you doing some floozy neighbor" byCormier
3rd place---"Nothing sells like the Holy Spirit" by Kristof
2nd place---"Shedevil's showdown with Jennifer" by Stu

1ST PLACE---"Things that provoke my ire" by CAT

MM

Written By: Cat on 03/19/07 at 4:10 pm

;D

Thanks SO much, Mike!!

Anyway, I'll probably cast my own votes in the next couple of days.

Written By: Matthias on 03/21/07 at 11:35 am

7th Place: Jeff Reuben's "Elephant Man"
6th Place: Johnny D's "Sausager Stuffski"
5th Place: 2nz's "Office Space"
4th Place: Wannabemustangjockey's "We Wanna Kick The Tires"
3rd Place: Arwen's "Can't Find Me A Guy"
2nd Place: Rick Cormier's "Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor In Your Bed Most Of The Night?"
1st Place: Kristof's "For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All"

Written By: Cat on 03/22/07 at 7:11 pm

My god, this was difficult. SUCH an excellent year, and it was a pleasure to revisit. Choosing was painful. Curiously enough, I wound up with seven different authors for my votes. All I have to say is, good job to EVERYONE!

7 Points to Johnny D—"Please, Sausager Stuffski"
6 Points to Kristof Robertson—"Twas a Spoilt Brat at Christmas"
5 Points to Stu McArthur—"You and Me Betty Ain't Nothin' But Rubbles"
4 Points to wannabemustangjockey—"Blinded By Headlights"
3 Points to Arwen—"The X-Woman Wannabe's Song"
2 Points to Matthias—"I Have No Career"
1 Point to Jeff Reuben—"The Elephant Man"

Written By: K1chyd on 03/25/07 at 5:37 am

Having been in all the rounds myself I wouldn't want to miss voting here for anything less than an all area access night at the Playboy Mansion (and Hugh just hung up on me for the umpteenth time this week anyway). Not having mastered the fine art of suckup I only list the parody titles to hide that there are only four authors represented on the list, all of course under the pretext that this is a song and not a popularity contest. (But I do get karma for being on time, right?) ;)

1 Point: "I Don't Really Care"

2 Points: "Play Madonna's Movies"

3 Points: "(Nothin') Sells Like The Holy Spirit!"

4 Points: "The Times When I Just Didn't Think"

5 Points: "sheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer"

6 Points: "Can't Find Me a Guy"

7 Points: "For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All"

Written By: Cat on 03/25/07 at 8:41 am

Hey K1chyd..."I Don't Really Care" isn't in the running, since it won the January 2007 SOTM...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/25/07 at 10:27 pm

Blimey, this was tough... 

7 points.......Nothing Sells Like The Holy Spirit - Kristof Robertson
This is like Little Miss Sunshine beating The Departed for best picture.  It was smaller than all the Be Our Guest, We Didn't Start The Fire, Blinded parodies, but was perfectly-formed, minimalist (nothing in it that didn't deserve to be), it showcased Kristof's amazing ability to milk every last comic angle out of an idea, and handled those nasty short lines masterfully, making it look easy  - it was also the perfect OS-choice for the idea - and it aimed for and hit its target's bullseye

6 points......Can't Find Me A Guy - Arwen
Wannabe X-woman was great but this was a masterpiece - an Ampie for a start, which means there's a lot of material that has to be found, and hilarious throughout in the inimitable Arwen style - if you like that style (like I always have) you'd have to love this - a unique creation

5 points......Things That Provoke My Ire - Cat
I don't think list parodies are that difficult because you don't need a narrative thread to tie it together like you usually do (ie. no beginning, middle and end needed - just a string of items) but the sheer imagination and comic creativity Cat needed to come up with so many wacky and witty ideas, that were all funny as well, was awesome - although Cat, the opportunist in me wishes the title had been "These Things'll Spark My Ire"  ;)

4 points......Tyrantfest - wannabemustangjockey
I was impressed by the highbrow(ish)ness and the political satire (are you really just a teenager Jay?) - and it's always a delight to read a well-executed Be Our Guest - there are plenty of them around, but this had bite and intelligence

3 points......The Times When I Just Didn't Think - Kristof
Again a list parody, but the pop references were brilliant and cheeky, and it was one of those gold-plated ideas where you know it's going to be funny before you even start reading

2 points......Sausager Stuffski - Johnny D
Really needs to be read to the OS to be fully appreciated, but JD deserves some sort of medal for tackling and constantly achieving such a high level of syllable-matching.  It adds another dimension to his pacing (already perfect) and makes the read so easy that the gags become instantly accessible - and what a tough OS challenge

1 point......Commando
I nearly put Rick's "Floozy Neighbour" in this spot because that would have to be the cleverest syllable-matched title of the contest (coz it seems so deceptively accidental)  - but I reckon Commando was the better parody because it rollicks along beautifully, is a great and funny idea, the perfect OS, and it has all Rick's trademark left-field un-PC wit 

apologies to Red Ant's "Darwin Awards," Phil's typically brilliant and clever "Bizarre-Mangled Banner," and 2nz's sublime "Office Space"

Written By: Red Ant on 03/26/07 at 2:13 am

Having been in all the rounds myself I wouldn't want to miss voting here for anything less than an all area access night at the Playboy Mansion (and Hugh just hung up on me for the umpteenth time this week anyway). Not having mastered the fine art of suckup I only list the parody titles to hide that there are only four authors represented on the list, all of course under the pretext that this is a song and not a popularity contest. (But I do get karma for being on time, right?) ;)

1 Point: "I Don't Really Care"

2 Points: "Play Madonna's Movies"

3 Points: "(Nothin') Sells Like The Holy Spirit!"

4 Points: "The Times When I Just Didn't Think"

5 Points: "sheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer"

6 Points: "Can't Find Me a Guy"

7 Points: "For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All"

Hey K1chyd..."I Don't Really Care" isn't in the running, since it won the January 2007 SOTM...

As Cat pointed out, that parody isn't in this contest. Per the rules:

However, I believe that rule was written to keep people from re-ordering their votes and what not after they are posted. If you wish, I will allow you change your 7th place vote to represent any one of the eligible parodies in the contest that you haven't already voted for. Your first 6 picks will stay as voted.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/26/07 at 3:46 am

Hmm, I thought I already posted my votes... seems I needed a few more days to think about them.

Well, I guess it's been a few days, so here they are:

1 point - "Mad Libs" by Agrimorfee

Truly original ideas are nearly impossible to find nowadays, but this parody is perhaps the most unique I've ever seen on Amiright. I loved Mad Libs as a kid, and Aggy captured them to a .  8)

2 points: "Can't Find Me A Guy" by Arwen

9 minutes of solid entertainment here. Technically, it's very impressive. It's also funny, quirky, and life-based: what's not to love?  :-*

3 points: Office Work (We Don't Care) by Glen

The first BOG parody that made my list, IMO this is one of Glen's best works. It's like he wrote it to be performed in a big musical or Broadway show with all the various parts given. Funny work goes without saying, but taking the bosses' viewpoint without remorse or regret gave it an edge to be included in my picks.  :)

~~

Any of the next 4 could have gotten my top vote, and organizing them was most difficult:

~~

4 points: "You And Me Betty Aint Nuthin But Rubbles" by Stu

Ever have that part of you that secretly wanted innocent cartoons to be dirty? Well, I do.  :o This satisfied that, and was loaded with enough prehistoric puns to choke a T-Rex. Also, this parody made outstanding use of TOS.

5 points: "For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All" by Kristof

What can I say that hasn't already been said in the comments under this parody? This would be the best mall ever - all we need is the funding. I tried to think of a clever name for a store that Kristof himself could run, but it seems he's used them all... maybe "O Pun, 'mpress'n me" (a magic shop, no doubt) :D

6 points: "Bizarre Mangled Stammer" by Phil

Politics rarely move me, and political parodies are generally not my cup of tea. This is a gigantic exception to both. Phil's entry was brilliant, and IMHO made the best use of TOS out of any parody in the competition.  Sharp satire on a subject who is generally  ??? (clueless).

Finally, my top pick goes to the parody that is responsible for the eventual death my keyboard due to my nasal projection of Pepsi onto it from hysterics. There were lots of very funny, clever, great, epic, etc. parodies in the competition, but the one I was in pain from laughter and still get a hell of a chuckle whenver I read it is:

"Chia Pests" by Rick - 7 points  ;D

Excellent year everybody, and there were some great works that I wish I could have included, too many to list honorable mentions. It's been my honor to be in the competitions with you guys and girls.

Jack

Written By: K1chyd on 03/26/07 at 12:38 pm

As Cat pointed out, that parody isn't in this contest. Per the rules:

However, I believe that rule was written to keep people from re-ordering their votes and what not after they are posted. If you wish, I will allow you change your 7th place vote to represent any one of the eligible parodies in the contest that you haven't already voted for. Your first 6 picks will stay as voted.

:-"Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards"

Sorry about that, but at least I had the author right!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/26/07 at 3:55 pm

Well, I didn't think this was going to be easy, and of course it wasn't. The 39 best songs of the year in SOTM= 39 of the best parodies written ANYWHERE in 2006 (IMHO)

So, here goes:

1 pt: The Zipper Took It All by K1chyd
Probably Peter's funniest ever parody, and a true LOL masterpiece from our man in Scandinavia. And considering the OS is from Sweden's greatest export (yes, even over bloody Volvo!) makes it even more perfect

2pts: Name Is Jack by Red Ant
I wish I had a name that was so flexible, but alas, the only the thing that rhymes with Kristof begins with a P. Wonderfully clever.

3 pts: Things That Provoke My Ire by Cat
It's always therapeutic to have a rant. And rants don't come much cleverer or funnier than this. So angry (and so talented) for one so young!

4 pts: Please, Sausager Stuffski by Johnny D
Gruesomely gleeful. A vegetarian's nightmare. Johnny D does what he does best, and makes us all laugh uncontrollably while feeling mildly repulsed at the same time

5 pts: The Wannabe X-Woman's Song by Arwen
Arwen's endless quest for love (documented over the years here at Amiright) takes on a mirthfully comic-al slant. Can't wait to see the Incredible Hulk follow-up......

6 pts: Commando by Rick Cormier
Simple, but simply wonderful. Any parody that features inadvertant semi-nudity will ALWAYS get my vote, and Mr cormier has a skill with words that can't be overlooked

and finally.....

7 pts: You And Me, Betty.... by Stuart McArthur
What can I say? This is the parody that lodged itself in my cranium more than any other in 2006. Cheeky, clever, with dazzling punnery and to an underappreciated OS. Every box on the Kristof checklist gets ticked. And the "Barney Stone" line has to be one of my favourites ever. Slam-freakin-dunk!

However....I would have called it "The Bedrock Touch"....... ;)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/30/07 at 6:58 pm

What a great list of gems that was to read! Thank you all for brightening my life with your wonderful words. It ain't easy getting seven out of thirty-nine but, here goes:

First Place:        For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All by Kristof Robertson
Second Place:    Can't Find Me a Guy by Arwen
Third Place:      Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards by Red Ant
Fourth Place:    Please, Sausager Stuffski by Johnny D
Fifth Place:        You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... by Stuart McArthur
Sixth Place:      Undead By The Bite by Phil Alexander
Seventh Place:  The Zipper Took It All by Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd

Written By: jreuben on 03/30/07 at 10:17 pm

7 pts:  For The Discerning Buyer--Kristof
6 pts:  Can't Find Me A Guy--Arwen
5 pts:  Please Sausager Stuffski--Johnny D
4 pts:  Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor--Rick Cormier
3 pts:  You And Me Betty Ain't Nothing But Rubbles--Stu
2 pts:  Commando--Rick Cormier
1 pt:  2nz--Office Space

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/31/07 at 8:18 am

7 points for Commando by Rick Cormier

6 points for The X-Woman Wannabe's Song by Arwen

5 points for Twas A Spoilt Brat At Christmas by Kristof Robertson

4 points for The Cigarettes by Red Ant

3 points for Blinded By Headlights by wannabemustangjockey

2 points for Undead By The Bite by Phil Alexander

1 point for We Want to Kick the Tires by wannabemustangjockey

Written By: skittlesking on 03/31/07 at 10:19 pm

Alright, well, I'm voting, I kinda had to rush my comments, but I've read 90% of these prior to this despite not being in contests, and I feel fairly strongly about my picks. . .the only one I really feel real bad about leaving out is Turkey Song by Phil Alexander, There's just way to many songs in this contest. . .if I wasn't nominated I'd probably sit out, but even though I knew I didn't really belong in this my first year, I felt that since you guys did include my "Crazy for Chips" that I should vote. . .

7th, 1 Point goes to Stu McArthur's You and Me Baby ain't nothing but Rubbles

6th, 2 Points go to Red Ant's Spamming Pests

5th, 3 Points go to Matthias' I Have No Career

4th, 4 Points go to Rick Cormier's Were You Doin' Some Floozy Neighbor

3rd, 5 Points go to Kristof Robertson's Internet Poultry

2nd, 6 Points go to Arwen's Can't Find Me A Guy

1st, 7 Points go to Cat's Fillings

Written By: Red Ant on 04/01/07 at 12:54 am

The results for 2006 SOTY will be posted later today or early tomorrow morning (April 2nd).

Written By: Red Ant on 04/01/07 at 7:30 pm

Before I post the results, I had to see if there was a precedent for ties in SOTY voting (since there was no tie-breaker rule in this competition). Turns out in 2004, there was a 4 way tie for 2nd place, and Claude awarded all 4 people 2nd. Also, I went back to my discussion thread on PAotY to look if SOTY was discussed. Alas, since there is no stated tie-breaker rule, and there is a precedent for ties, we have not one SOTY, but two:

1st place with 40 points: For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All by Kristof Robertson

1st place, also with 40 points: Can't Find Me a Guy by Arwen

3rd place with 32 points: Please, Sausager Stuffski by Johnny D

and the results for everyone else who gained points:

You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... - 24

Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor - 18

Nothin' Sells Like The Holy Spirit - 17

Commando - 16

sheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer - 16

The X-Woman Wannabe's Song - 14

Twas A Spoilt Brat At Christmas - 12

Blinded By Headlights - 11

Fillings - 10

Things That Provoke My Ire - 8

Chia Pests - 7

Office Work (We Don't Care) - 7

The Times When I Just Didn't Think - 7

Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards - 6

Bizarre Mangled Stammer - 6

TyrantFest - 6

I Have No Career - 5

Internet Poultry Auction - 5

We Want to Kick the Tires - 5

The Cigarettes - 4

The Elephant Man - 2

Name is Jack - 2

Play Madonna's Movies - 2

Spamming Pests - 2

Undead By The Bite - 2

The Zipper Took It All - 2

Mad Libs - 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations to Kristof and Arwen, and also to Johnny D. Congratulations to everyone, really: every song in this competition was a winner. Also, thanks to everyone who took the time to participate in voting. 

Subject: Re: 2006 SONG OF THE YEAR VOTING THREAD: RESULTS POSTED!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 04/01/07 at 8:38 pm

Congratulations to Kristof, Arwen and Johnny D! Thanks for the votes.  :) :) :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/01/07 at 10:09 pm

Before I post the results, I had to see if there was a precedent for ties in SOTY voting (since there was no tie-breaker rule in this competition). Turns out in 2004, there was a 4 way tie for 2nd place, and Claude awarded all 4 people 2nd. Also, I went back to my discussion thread on PAotY to look if SOTY was discussed. Alas, since there is no stated tie-breaker rule, and there is a precedent for ties, we have not one SOTY, but two:

1st place with 40 points: For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall With It All by Kristof Robertson

1st place, also with 40 points: Can't Find Me a Guy by Arwen

3rd place with 32 points: Please, Sausager Stuffski by Johnny D

and the results for everyone else who gained points:

You And Me Betty Aint Nothing But Rubbles... - 24

Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor - 18

Nothin' Sells Like The Holy Spirit - 17

Commando - 16

sheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer - 16

The X-Woman Wannabe's Song - 14

Twas A Spoilt Brat At Christmas - 12

Blinded By Headlights - 11

Fillings - 10

Things That Provoke My Ire - 8

Chia Pests - 7

Office Work (We Don't Care) - 7

The Times When I Just Didn't Think - 7

Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards - 6

Bizarre Mangled Stammer - 6

TyrantFest - 6

I Have No Career - 5

Internet Poultry Auction - 5

We Want to Kick the Tires - 5

The Cigarettes - 4

The Elephant Man - 2

Name is Jack - 2

Play Madonna's Movies - 2

Spamming Pests - 2

Undead By The Bite - 2

The Zipper Took It All - 2

Mad Libs - 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations to Kristof and Arwen, and also to Johnny D. Congratulations to everyone, really: every song in this competition was a winner. Also, thanks to everyone who took the time to participate in voting. 

Congratulations to Kristof, Arwen, and all vote recipients!

And thank you all for giving my silly little West Side Story spoof a place on the medal-stand !!!  ;D

Written By: Arwen on 04/01/07 at 11:12 pm

Oh wow...I did NOT see that one coming.  And I feel REALLY bad because I broke my promise about voting...for some reason I thought Monday was the 1st...so I thought I had until today.  :-[

But thanks a million to all of those who voted for my anthem to remaining single indefinitely...you're all amazing and it's an honor to share the site with all of you.

Big congrats to Kristof and Johnny, too!!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 04/02/07 at 8:06 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for capping off what turned out to be a great year for me on Amiright. I'm chuffed to share (Hey, quit shoving!) the podium with (watch where you put that hand, will ya?) the lovely Arwen (Ouch! that was my TOE!).....a worthier champion you'd be hard pressed to find. And the parody she won with was only my SECOND fave of hers...shows you what I know, huh?  :D

Big congrats to Johnny for his deserved place....Sausager Stuffski was one of those perfect marriages of story, humour and technical skill...bravo, sir!

Well done to all those who had an entry in POTY; as I said earlier, these probably represent some of the best parodies written anywhere on mother earth in 2006. Tang and 7-Ups on me!!

Written By: skittlesking on 04/02/07 at 11:24 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for capping off what turned out to be a great year for me on Amiright. I'm chuffed to share (Hey, quit shoving!) the podium with (watch where you put that hand, will ya?) the lovely Arwen (Ouch! that was my TOE!).....a worthier champion you'd be hard pressed to find. And the parody she won with was only my SECOND fave of hers...shows you what I know, huh?  :D

Big congrats to Johnny for his deserved place....Sausager Stuffski was one of those perfect marriages of story, humour and technical skill...bravo, sir!

Well done to all those who had an entry in POTY; as I said earlier, these probably represent some of the best parodies written anywhere on mother earth in 2006. Tang and 7-Ups on me!!

Hey good, I need that 7-Up, they make me feel better when I have colds like this one. . .maybe then I can get my one million projects done . . .I'd say that's an exaggeration, but it may not be :)  Congrats to all, I consider 2007 to be my first year as I only joined one month last year. . .and I got in purely by WildCard. . .but I still feel like I belong here, so congrats Kristof, Arwen and Johnny D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/05/07 at 6:35 pm

holy cow, Kristof won!  :o - and it wasn't even for the parody of his that I gave my 7 to - which pretty well sums up his year in my book - well done mate

and congrats Arwen for sharing that exclusive and highly-coveted dais with him

and good on you JD for medalling with the sort of inspired farce you do so well

and I agree with Kristof - 39 examples of parody genius, all of them worthy of a prize - there's gotta be a book in that selection alone
and I also reckon it's Claude's invention of the SOTM contests that is the single biggest factor in producing all this quality, so congrats to you too Claude :)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 04/05/07 at 8:55 pm

I thought You and Me Betty would win, but thats fine, CONGRATS KRISTOF!!!

Written By: Spaff.com on 04/05/07 at 11:48 pm

Muchas congratsias, Arwen & Kristof & Johnny! A great way to finish a great year!

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Claude_Prez on 04/06/07 at 11:42 am

Congratulations Kristof, Stu and Phil from me as well.  Looks like you guys all had a great year.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Red Ant for doing such a great job running the SOTM in 2006.

And Matthias and Below Average Dave, who are taking it over now and have done a great job so far.  Thanks, guys.

All right, gotta go.  Bye.

Written By: 2nz on 04/14/07 at 8:04 pm

BUMP.

Congratulations to Kristof, Arwen, JD and everybody else. Fun stuff. Great year. Sorry I was MIA for so much of it. Glad I came back in time to be disciplined by Kristof in the last three months. Too good, too good.

This is WAY LATE, but I'm getting around to it now so I hope better late than never. I just left my crappy office job so my mind is clearing and I'm able to spend more time catching up around here possibly now.

And hey, thanks to everyone for the votes/shouts out for my one heavy medal song this year. I must admit, I feel very proud to have gotten one medal in all three years the SOTM has been going on. I'm in excellent company and I'm sorry I've been doing stuff away from the site so much.

I guess what I'm saying is CONGRATULATIONS Kristof, Arwen, JD and everyone else. Take care.

-Glen S

Shameless Plug -> Did you enjoy my 'We Don't Care' office work parody? If so, please stay tuned. A video of my slightly tone-def performance of it should be up on youtube shortly.

Check for new replies or respond here...