inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: February SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/08/07 at 9:36 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

1.  Don‘t Forget To Dismember Thee by Matthias
       Original song

2.  (Buy,Buy) An African Child by Kristof Robertson

3.  S.L.C. by Agrimorfee
          Original song

4.  Weenie On A Hot Bun by Below Average Dave
     Recording
       Original song

5.  When A Man Has A Sex Change by Jason

6.  Living In Antarctica III by Max Power
       Original song

7.  You‘d Better Go Hide Your Gut by Cat

8.  Extra-Terrestrial Girl by The Charnstar

9.  Uneven Symphony No3 For Vocal Chords In A Flat Minor by tomario

10.  No Frog Can Flee The Gizzard by Johnny D

11.  Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten by Stuart McArthur

12.  Everything Shows by Phil Alexander

13.  Poison Ivy by Jack Wilson

14.  Home In The Rain by Tim Mayfield

We also have a new rule proposed this month:

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a timestamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

Please indicate a “yes” or a “no” on the new rule in your post when you place your regular SOTM votes.  Thank you.

Subject: Re: February SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Red Ant on 03/09/07 at 5:47 am

Although I'm sitting out this SOTM parody-wise, I vote yes to the rule change.

We also have a new rule proposed this month:

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a timestamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

Please indicate a “yes” or a “no” on the new rule in your post when you place your regular SOTM votes.  Thank you.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/09/07 at 7:52 am

For clarity's sake, the title of my parody is "S.L.C.", not "OPP".  ::)

Also, this is the proper link to the "O.P.P" video by Naughty By Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQ9-cZoQP8

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/09/07 at 12:10 pm

For clarity's sake, the title of my parody is "S.L.C.", not "OPP".  ::)

Also, this is the proper link to the "O.P.P" video by Naughty By Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQ9-cZoQP8

Yikes!  Sorry bout that; it's fixed now. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/09/07 at 5:25 pm

Vote early, but not often

YES

5pts=Kristof (like I said, a new Hall of Famer)
4pts=Johnny D (this should "be a bust, be a bust" in there, too!)
3pts=Max Power's cold vacation
2pts=Matthias' journey to the center of the die
1pts=B.A.D.'s big weenie.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 03/11/07 at 4:54 am

It's a pity I ran out of time for voting in January...I had such a good parody for this month! Oh well, of it goes into the ABC's (when the next P round comes along).

And I don't get the new rule.

And DAMN, there's barely anybody in this comp!

Written By: Matthias on 03/11/07 at 10:04 am

5 Points To: Kristof's Kid
4 Points To: Stuart's Frog
3 Points To: Johnny D's Frog
2 Points To: Cat's Fat
1 Point To: Dave's Dog

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/11/07 at 6:59 pm

It becomes a real problem when the phrase "That HAS to be in my top five" is applicable 8 times, as was the case this month. So apologies to Cat, Tim and Max, who didn't deserve not to make the cut.

5 pts: Phil's parental problems
4 pts: JD's amphibian smorgasbord
3 pts: Stu's amphibian smorgasbord (pt II)
2 pts: BADave's keener wiener
1 pt: Tomario's AmIStressed?

Great month, all!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/12/07 at 1:23 am

And I don't get the new rule.

bobpie - in a nutshell the rule is

Any vote posted after midnight on the last day of the month won't be accepted under any circumstance

- going by the inthe00's clock (ie. BEFORE you log in)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/12/07 at 1:26 am

In fact let me take this opportunity to repost my arguments FOR the new rule

Reasons:

1. So far in the ABCs there hasn't been a single issue with strict enforcement of the deadline, and the disqualification count is actually down on what it used to be

2. It eliminates pleading from late voters, and the consequent subjective reaction to that pleading. 

3. It eliminates dodgy precedents.  If a late vote is allowed because someone's granny died, that precedent is set, and then there could be a flurry of dead grannies (is "flurry" the correct collective noun there )

4. It also eliminates suspicion.  If one person's plea works, and the next person's fails, the second pleader would feel he/she is being discriminated against for personal reasons (and with good reason because maybe he/she is)

5.  If you are leading in a comp and are hoping to win, you will know exactly if you have won or not on the stroke of midnight, without having to worry about a johnny(jilly?)-come-lately posting votes 2 hours later and bumping you out - which would/could be very irritating

6.  To keep aware of the big picture, there is a whole month to vote, so it's hard to take a claim that there wasn't enough time to make the deadline (for any reason) seriously

Written By: skittlesking on 03/12/07 at 1:30 am

In fact let me take this opportunity to repost my arguments FOR the new rule

Reasons:

1. So far in the ABCs there hasn't been a single issue with strict enforcement of the deadline, and the disqualification count is actually down on what it used to be

2. It eliminates pleading from late voters, and the consequent subjective reaction to that pleading. 

3. It eliminates dodgy precedents.  If a late vote is allowed because someone's granny died, that precedent is set, and then there could be a flurry of dead grannies (is "flurry" the correct collective noun there )

4. It also eliminates suspicion.  If one person's plea works, and the next person's fails, the second pleader would feel he/she is being discriminated against for personal reasons (and with good reason because maybe he/she is)

5.  If you are leading in a comp and are hoping to win, you will know exactly if you have won or not on the stroke of midnight, without having to worry about a johnny(jilly?)-come-lately posting votes 2 hours later and bumping you out - which would/could be very irritating

6.  To keep aware of the big picture, there is a whole month to vote, so it's hard to take a claim that there wasn't enough time to make the deadline (for any reason) seriously

Wow Stu, I haven't even looked at the SOTM entries yet, and you really know how to sell something, you got my vote, although I'll reiterate that when I actually vote. . .The point game is something I would hope we wouldn't play. . .but I know it could be abused, and therefore will be abused at some point. . .In my newly formed POTM I'm going to be enforcing it in this manner. . .so I will support it here too.

Written By: tmayfield on 03/12/07 at 2:08 am

...there could be a flurry of dead grannies (is "flurry" the correct collective noun there)

Not sure, but I am sure cackle is not the correct collective term. Maybe it should be bingo hall...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/12/07 at 6:44 am

Maybe it should be bingo hall...

:) excellent - it's "bingo hall" for me from now on

Written By: Jason on 03/13/07 at 6:03 am

Very nice selection of tunes

Sorry if my parody caused some offense. It was only meant as a joke and no harm.

Anyway here are my votes:

5 Points to Stuart McArthur - Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten
4 Points to Kristof Robertson - Buy Buy (An African Child)
3 Points to Cat - You Better Go Hide Your Gut
2 Points to B.A.D - Weenie On A Hot Bun
And last but by no means least. 1 Point to The Charnstar - Extra-Terrestial Girl.

Good luck to all of you!

Written By: skittlesking on 03/13/07 at 12:26 pm

Very nice selection of tunes

Sorry if my parody caused some offense. It was only meant as a joke and no harm.

Anyway here are my votes:

5 Points to Stuart McArthur - Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten
4 Points to Kristof Robertson - Buy Buy (An African Child)
3 Points to Cat - You Better Go Hide Your Gut
2 Points to B.A.D - Weenie On A Hot Bun
And last but by no means least. 1 Point to The Charnstar - Extra-Terrestial Girl.

Good luck to all of you!

I haven't read your song yet, as I haven't had a chance to begin reading the parodies for SOTM (I plan to tonight though start reading)  But if your parody is offensive, I think it is very good of you to apologize, we all have parodies we aren't proud of and parodies that maybe turned out a little differently than we expected, so I'm sure most the others here agree when I say--forgive and forget and won't hold it against you, we all have those blips. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 03/14/07 at 4:46 am

Before I vote, I need to say that all but three of the parodies I read in this contest, we're the best I'd read by the particular parodist who wrote them. . .and one of those was still great. . .and so I have a lot of honorable mentions. . .

Max Power, Tomario, Johnny D and Tim Mayfield your parodies all deserved points this month, but this comp was too difficult to make cuts and ultimately, the 5 I choose, well you guys will see when you read the parodies.

Cat your's on any other month would have been in there, and Charnstar EXCELLENT parody, oh and Jack Wilson--watch yourself next time you are in the forest, but that's what I mean this was a great month . . .now, without further adu, here are my five for this month, and even putting these down for less than a full 5 point feels criminal. . .

5th, 1 point goes to Matthias
The parody was as good as a poem as it was a parody,  I said back when I first read this one I thought it had the potential to win a SOTM contest, but then it went up against a field of 14 songs that contained some of the best parodies ever entered into contest in my opinion, I can only imagine what would have happened if the entire field was in (Red Ant, Conq, Wannabe, Arwen etc--this contest would have been impossible)

4th, 2 points go to Agimorfee
This one got a full 5 in the Ages comp from me because it was fully deserving of a full 5, at least I was able to give it that in a contest, because unfortunately in this one, there were three that were just. . .too much not to give top nods. . .This one however took a topic important to me, made it funny, and It was a favorite of mine from the get-go

3rd, 3 points go to Phil Alexander
I can't believe this song is my third choice, but like I said, toughest month I've ever judged, and last month had 20 entries, you'd think 14 would be easier.  This epic parody of a classic is among Phil's best ever and that's saying a lot about the writer of classics like "Mend My PC" "BJ" "Me Own Shampoo" and "The Devil Went Down to Springfield", the thing is I think this one probably exceeds all of those, even though I do have a soft-spot for Me Own Shampoo

2nd, 4 Points go to Stu McArthur
Stu, I've always loved your style, and while lately I hadn't read one I truely fell in love with, but this one--THIS ONE--I had to actually get up a couple of times and take a break. . .the whole Frog Sympathy and France, and everything, you really deserve to metal this month, EXCELLENT parody.

1st, 5 Points go to Kristof Robertson
You know, since joining SOTM contests, I've never been in a contest with you?  This was the first time I'd ever entered a SOTM that you were in, and my God, is this the type of parody you always write?  The fact that you complimented my parody in the manner you did means a lot when it's coming from someone who can mention Madonna, Brad Pitt, and about half of the other big name celebrities, play the role of a female, take on half of the third world countries and fit in a theme that ends with Michael Jackson and not simply say he's pedaphile (I caught that pet-a-phile) I just can't imagine how I could see a parody that can top this one though. . .Thank you for this wonderful parody and I hope that I get to repeat all this in a POTM somewhere down the line because you make a recorded version of it.

Tough Tough TOUGH month, great job all.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/14/07 at 4:49 am

Oh and yes on the rule change, sorry forgot to mention that. . . again.

Written By: philbo on 03/14/07 at 11:44 am

5 points - #2.  (Buy,Buy) An African Child by Kristof Robertson
4 points - #11.  Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten by Stuart McArthur
3 points - # 7.  You‘d Better Go Hide Your Gut by Cat
2 points - # 3.  S.L.C. by Agrimorfee
1 point  - # 8.  Extra-Terrestrial Girl by The Charnstar

Honourable mention to BAD - had a bit of a dilemma, in that I wasn't sure if I was being overly influenced by the recording, which wouldn't really be fair on songs that didn't have one (if you see what I mean)... so The Charnstar got the last place instead. Now, I'm not sure whether that was fair.  But I had to make a decision somewhere, I guess.

And Dave - they're usually this hard, it'll probably get worse as people keep submitting "personal best" parodies making it hard for us oldies to keep our reputations intact ;)

New rule: Agreed

Written By: skittlesking on 03/14/07 at 3:46 pm

5 points - #2.  (Buy,Buy) An African Child by Kristof Robertson
4 points - #11.  Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten by Stuart McArthur
3 points - # 7.  You‘d Better Go Hide Your Gut by Cat
2 points - # 3.  S.L.C. by Agrimorfee
1 point  - # 8.  Extra-Terrestrial Girl by The Charnstar

Honourable mention to BAD - had a bit of a dilemma, in that I wasn't sure if I was being overly influenced by the recording, which wouldn't really be fair on songs that didn't have one (if you see what I mean)... so The Charnstar got the last place instead. Now, I'm not sure whether that was fair.  But I had to make a decision somewhere, I guess.

And Dave - they're usually this hard, it'll probably get worse as people keep submitting "personal best" parodies making it hard for us oldies to keep our reputations intact ;)

New rule: Agreed

Well, to be honest, I think that happens to me a lot in these contests, it's why I started the POTM--the vast majority of contendors write, and thus sometimes I do notice that---especially towards the deadline date--I do tend to drop quite drastically, but I'm still going to be recording, I think the recording is something that people have come to know of me, you can always hear B.A.D. music (pun intended) but I'll have to stick primarily to performance themed contests in hope that I can help some parodists who have the capabilities and/or desire to perform or have their songs performed in the game. . .but I don't change my third place vote or anything if that's what you mean ;)  Aftearall--as I said in my own vote, this was a very tough month, although honestly no month in the past has given me this difficult of a decision, it really was a very tough month.

P.S. that does not mean I am withdrawing from writing contests alltogether (just re-read my post), but like I said I'm going to try and focus on the performance end of parodies, every song I've ever top 5'd or given honorable mention to pace close enough to be performed as I had some of Red Ant's and Matthias. . .so I will continue to do that.   and besides Charnstar's parody was very very funny!

Written By: Cat on 03/18/07 at 12:42 pm

I thought the fact that there were fewer entries would make it easier to choose...but nooooo...

And I vote Yes for the new rule. Procrastinating on these things bugs me; surely you can make some time earlier in the month to vote?

Anyway, here are my votes:

5 Points to Kristof Robertson
4 Points to Stu McArthur
3 Points to Below Average Dave
2 Points to Phil Alexander
1 Point to Agrimorfee

Written By: Max Power on 03/18/07 at 1:33 pm

Yes

5pts - Kris' child labor

4pts - Matthias' barbaric nature

3pts - So easy a caveman can do it

2pts - Dr. Phil's slutty daughter

1pts - French Stu

Honorable mentions: Cat guts, Ag aging, Dave's weiner in Cartman's mouth, and Black Tomario

Written By: Cat on 03/18/07 at 10:15 pm

Uh, Max, which parody are you referring to by "So easy a caveman can do it?"

Written By: skittlesking on 03/18/07 at 10:49 pm

<< Took the words right out of my mouth.

Written By: The Charnstar on 03/19/07 at 3:58 am

1 Point to Jack Wilson
2 Points to Matthias
3 Points to Cat
4 Points to Dave
AND THE INNEVITABLE BIGGUN! THE BIG FIVER GOES TO....

STUART MCARTHUR - GUILTY TEETH HAVE FROGLEGS BITTEN!

Written By: K1chyd on 03/19/07 at 4:31 am

5 Points to "(Buy, Buy) An African Child"

4 Points to "Extraterrestrial Girl"

3 Points to "Guilty Teeth Have Frogslegs Bitten"

2 Points to "Everything Shows"

1 Point to "Weenie on a Hot Bun"

No opinion on the suggested rule change. (Has there's been a problem I've missed??)

Also honourable mentions to all regulars that didn't sign up this month and hence making it easier for me to read and vote despite not being in this round self. ;)

Written By: Max Power on 03/19/07 at 5:28 pm

One by Damon.

Written By: Cat on 03/19/07 at 9:08 pm

(Johnny D for the rest of you.)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/21/07 at 11:24 am

Hey everybody.  I just realized I'm going to be gone next week.  I'm hoping some helpful soul will step in and tally the votes and post the winners for me.  If you'd like to, just reply here or pm me in the next couple days so we don't have more than one person doing it.  Thank you.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/21/07 at 1:37 pm

Hey everybody.  I just realized I'm going to be gone next week.  I'm hoping some helpful soul will step in and tally the votes and post the winners for me.  If you'd like to, just reply here or pm me in the next couple days so we don't have more than one person doing it.  Thank you.

I'll volunteer. . .I'll be up doing POTM anyway.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/21/07 at 5:18 pm

I'll volunteer. . .I'll be up doing POTM anyway.

Yay!  Thank you.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 03/23/07 at 4:57 am

Wow, I'm actually on time this month. Did anyone miss me?

5 pts to Kristof
4 pts to Cat
3 pts to Johnny D
2 pts to Phil Alexander
1 pt to Stu

Surprisingly, despite the smaller-than-usual field of entries, I had a very difficult time narrowing it down.

As for the rule change in question, I've just now proven to myself that it's possible to vote before the end of the month. So... I guess I'll say yes.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/27/07 at 3:56 am

5 points...............2.  (Buy,Buy) An African Child          Kristof Robertson
4 points...............7.  You‘d Better Go Hide Your Gut  Cat
3 points...............12.  Everything Shows                    Phil Alexander
2 points...............4.  Weenie On A Hot Bun              Below Average Dave
1 point................ 3.  S.L.C.                                    Agrimorfee

Written By: tmayfield on 03/29/07 at 11:53 pm

To the new rule proposal: yes

Great month..

5 pts - (Buy, Buy) An African Child by Kristof Robertson
4 pts - Weenie on a Hot Bun by Below Average Dave
3 pts - S.L.C. by Agrimorfee
2 pts - No Frog Can Flee The Gizzard by Johnny D
1 pt. - Guilty Teeth Have Frogslegs Bitten by Stuart McArthur

Rule proposal: Maybe we can require parodies for February SOTM's to have shorter lyric line counts than other months (cause of the lesser day count)   ;D

Written By: tomario on 03/30/07 at 3:59 am

To the new rule proposal: yes

my votes are :-

1 point  -Kristof Robertson

2 points  -Tim Mayfield

3 points  -Phil Alexander

4 points  -Cat

5 points  -Stuart McArthur

Written By: skittlesking on 03/31/07 at 2:21 am

GUYS LAST DAY TO VOTE> >>  > > >VOTE VOTE VOTE:)

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/31/07 at 6:07 pm

5 points for #11.  Guilty Teeth Have Froglegs Bitten by Stuart McArthur
4 points for #12.  Everything Shows by Phil Alexander
3 points for #8.  Extra-Terrestrial Girl by The Charnstar
2 points for #14.  Home In The Rain by Tim Mayfield
1 point for #7.  You‘d Better Go Hide Your Gut by Cat

Yes to the rule change.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/31/07 at 6:23 pm

5 pts. Kristof's African child
4 pts. Stu's Frogs
3. Matthias' Dismembering of Thee
2 pts Spaffrimorfee..Agrimorfee.com
1 pt Charnstar's ET girl

Check for new replies or respond here...