inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: February POTM Voting Thread (Open Voting) COMMENTS ARE DOWN--NO COMMENT REQUIRED

Written By: skittlesking on 03/14/07 at 12:13 am

http://www.badave.com/potm/001main.jpg
Welcome to the Performance of the Month AmIRight contest! Good luck to all contestants. . .this contest is open voting for all SOTM, POTM, and ABC current and past participants wether or not they have entered this contest.  The rules are fairly simple and mostly similar to other contests.  The difference, this contest is played with your ears instead of your eyes!

1. All voting will end promtly at the very end of the month.
2. All contestants currently in the POTM need to comment and vote on all contestants by that time
3. Failure to vote by the deadline will result in forfeit of your points
4. Failure to vote will result in a penalty of 20 points to be applied to the following month's contest (no DQs)
5. Once You've Voted, You can not change your vote UNLESS your vote was invalid
6.  In the event of a tie, procedures mentioned in the entry thread will be followed up to 10th place
7.  You can't vote for your own song
8. You can't vote for another song more than once in the same contest
9. This round has 7 entrants, so you get to vote for your TOP 5 (5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc)
10. HAVE FUN

(to make things easier, all songs are also linked directly to the recording underneath the entrant since sometimes the scripts don't load direct links correctly)

Roll the Drums. . . THE ENTRANTS ARE

1. "Mime in Your Life" by Matthias
  The Recording

2. "Weenie on a Hot Bun" by Below Average Dave
  The Recording

3. "A Bar Maid Fight" by Jeff Reuben
  The Recording

4. "Threw Up in the Car" by Josh2
  The Recording

5. "Mend My PC" by Phil Alexander
  The Recording

6. "Hookers at my Front Door" by Kristof Robertson
  The Recording

7. "Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor?" by Rick Cormier
  The Recording

Subject: Re: February POTM Voting Thread (Open Voting)

Written By: jreuben on 03/18/07 at 8:22 am

Let's get this started!

5 pts:  Rick Cormier's Floozy Neighbor
4 pts:  Phil Alexander's Mend My PC
3 pts:  Below Average Dave's Weenie
2 pts:  Kristof Robertson's Hookers
1 pt:  Matthias' Mime

Honorable Mention to Josh...I liked your song and you did a good job with it, I just ran out of spots.

Written By: Matthias on 03/19/07 at 2:33 am

5 Points To: Rick's Floozy Neighbor
4 Points To: Kristof's Hookers
3 Points To: Jeff's Maids
2 Points To: Dave's Dog
1 Point To: Phil's Computer

Written By: philbo on 03/23/07 at 5:51 am

5 points - #7. "Were You Doing Some Floozy Neighbor?" by Rick Cormier
Beautifully crafted recording to a wonderfully funny parody, and the best title sub of the bunch :D

4 points - #1. "Mime in Your Life" by Matthias
With a slightly richer backing track, this would have been *really* good... made me want to write a "Time of your life" parody

3 points - #2. "Weenie on a Hot Bun" by Below Average Dave
Started a little weak, if you don't mind me saying, Dave, but I got into it by the end.  Still not sure whether it was supposed to be literal or double entendre ;)

2 points - #3. "A Bar Maid Fight" by Jeff Reuben
This was one of those hilarious parodies that didn't work quite as well performed - not sure why, it's a funny story beautifully matched to the music.  It's just for me the recording didn't work as well as singing it in my head to the lyric sheet (if you see what I mean)

1 point  - #6. "Hookers at my Front Door" by Kristof Robertson
This was the only one of the bunch I felt disappointed when I heard - on re-listening, it's not 'cause it's bad, it's just that I think I was expecting more... definitely not your best parody to choose, either

Josh - sorry, not a bad entry by any means, just missed out by a whisker.

Written By: Matthias on 03/23/07 at 8:39 am

Thanks for the points Phil, but you still have to comment on the parodies

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 03/25/07 at 6:42 pm

1 point  - #6. "Hookers at my Front Door" by Kristof Robertson
This was the only one of the bunch I felt disappointed when I heard - on re-listening, it's not 'cause it's bad, it's just that I think I was expecting more... definitely not your best parody to choose, either

Ouch! Go for the jugular, why dontcha, Phil!  ;) I don't know what you were expecting, mate; considering this is my first recording ever, my mike cost 3 quid, and I can't sing for toffee....I thought it turned out OK. meh....

Anyways, now that I've had a good long weep, here's my votes.

5 pts: Rick's Floozy neighbour: unbeatable. A country mile ahead of the rest in terms of quality. Sorry, guys- if Rick decides to enter each of these contests, it will probably always be a fight for second place only.

4 pts: BA Dave's Weenie: for sheer cojones. Nice recording, good voice, lotsa fun

3 pts: Phil's PC. Great recording, didn't make me LOL, but I love the OS so extra kudos. Why the Pakistani accent though?  ;D

2 pts: Matthias' Mime. Good fun, but loses some points because of the thinness of the backing track.

1 pt: Jeff's Barmaids. Although a very funny parody, the recording didn't really light my fire.

And sorry Josh; although your recording was pretty good, I didn't really warm to the actual parody. If you record one of your better parodies, I'll definitely vote for ya- I like your voice.

And before you jump on me, Matty...I'll comment on the parodies tomorrow once I've had a sleep.

Written By: philbo on 03/26/07 at 6:35 am

Thanks for the points Phil, but you still have to comment on the parodies

Will do - I was just commenting to Jeff that there's a difference between this and SOTM that when you read the song in that competition, the comments section is right there; for most of the above, I wasn't even at my computer when I listened to them.

Ouch! Go for the jugular, why dontcha, Phil!  ;) I don't know what you were expecting, mate; considering this is my first recording ever, my mike cost 3 quid, and I can't sing for toffee....I thought it turned out OK. meh....

I'd say it turned out "OK", too... but what I meant was that I was expecting it to turn out better.  Partly 'cause let's face it, you've been the most consistently funny parody author over the last year, so there always was going to be a certain expectation... maybe you should try singing for beer (or chilli vodka - that does wonders for the vocal chords) rather than toffee

And before you jump on me, Matty...I'll comment on the parodies tomorrow once I've had a sheep.

D'Oh... eyes must be going, that's not what you said, is it?

Subject: Re: February POTM Voting Thread (Open Voting) COMMENTS ARE DOWN--NO COMMENT REQUIRED

Written By: skittlesking on 03/30/07 at 11:39 pm

It appears that comments are down at the moment, making it impossible to leave comments. . .but it looks like people are leaving comments here anyway, so for this round, comments will NOT be required. . .CALLING Rick Cormier, JOSH2, and Myself--I promise I'll vote tonight, been so busy.

Subject: Re: February POTM Voting Thread (Open Voting) COMMENTS ARE DOWN--NO COMMENT REQUIRED

Written By: skittlesking on 03/30/07 at 11:50 pm

Well, it's the first POTM ever, so I think the turnout has not been all that bad:)

Anyhow, my vote of course. .

Honorable mention to Josh2, who with some fine tuning actually could be a VERY GOOD recording artist.  He has the right voice for certain songs, and with some polishing, I could see him recording regularly

5th, 1 point goes to Mime in Your Life
  Well, I can't say much about the vocals as anything I do say would sound egotistical wouldn't it:)  I was happy with the performance quality on this one, I had two slight pacing quibbles with the lyrics, but the lyrics were fun and for my first Matthias Parodies recording, I couldn't be more happy to have formed the friendship we have.

4th, 2 points go to A Bar Maid Fight by Jeff Reuben
  I loved this one, and the unfortunate thing is I loved all of the entrants because all the ones I entered belong performing.  I must say, I did get more of a kick out of Cross-Eyed Girl than I did this one, but what I'm assuming is your next entry, it's going to really Moove ahead of the competition.

3rd, 3 points go to Mend My PC by Phil Alexander
  Ok ok, I won't mention Me Own Shampoo again, no matter how much fun I had with it.  This one is a classic, and it was a perfect fit in the first POTM as it represents one of the most targetted songs on AmIRight.  The whole thing is full of laughs from beginning to end.

2nd, 4 Points go to Flozy Neighbor by Rick Cormier
  Quality of recording is not an issue for Rick, he doesn't even seem to have any problem handling sound effects, I don't think it really would have mattered what he entered, he'd be in the running for POTM because he has the voice, the writer intution, the comedy and the witty ideas it takes to pull off a great recording.

1st, 5 Points go to Hookers at my Front Door by Kristof Robertson
  Tee-hee-hee. . .I just, I don't know, I can't stop listening to this one. . .it's just, too funny.  I can't put my finger on exactly why I love this one, but lord, the whole song from front to back it's just "WOW".  I mean "Hey you with the fat @$$, get off my porch step". . .ha. . .I really do hope you start recording again soon.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/31/07 at 11:49 am

5 points to "Mend My PC" by Phil Alexander
4 points to "Hookers at My Front Door" by Kristof Robertson
3 points to "Weenie on a Hot Bun" by Below Average Dave
2 points to "A Bar Maid Fight" by Jeff Reuben
1 point to "Mime in Your Life" by Below Average Dave and Matthias

Check for new replies or respond here...