inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Voting Thread For ABC3 (U) - ****** results posted ******

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/28/07 at 9:55 pm

Welcome to the
ABC3 (U)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC3(U) is midnight (amiright time)     Wednesday April 11
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r     (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC3 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

And the entries are.........

1.  Matthias
Uneasy Writer

2.  Red Ant
Unsavory Folks

3.  Johnny D
Up Botox Again

4.  Agrimorfee
The Unemployment Song
          DKTOS? Crawl out from under that rock and enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WU5purJUGw&mode=related&search=

5.  the_conqueror_of_parodies
Under A 'C'

6.  meow78223
Urim and Thummim

7.  Wolverine
U.S. Jail

8.  Jack Wilson
Uranus

Subject: Re: Voting Thread For ABC3 (U) - deadline: midnight Wednesday April 11th

Written By: Matthias on 03/29/07 at 12:20 am

I at least win for the "Longest Song Up There" Award

Subject: Re: Voting Thread For ABC3 (U) - deadline: midnight Wednesday April 11th

Written By: Matthias on 03/30/07 at 9:48 am

5 Points Goes To: Red Unt
4 Points Goes To: Ugg-Rimorfee
3 Points Goes To: Ulverine
2 Points Goes To: Conquerer_Of_U (That's right he conquerer's you)
1 Point Goes To: Johnny U

Written By: Wolverine on 04/04/07 at 5:30 pm

5 shots of Botox for Johnny D
4 job applications for Agrimorfee
3 extra laptops for Matthias (that's an expensive vote)
2 fewer bad guys for Red Ant
and 1 'A' for Conquerer

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/05/07 at 2:42 pm

5pts=Mutthus
4pts=Cunqurur
3pts=Juhnny D
2pts=Rud Unt
1pt=Wulvurune  :D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/05/07 at 6:19 pm

I may be late tabulating votes for this and doing all the other end-of-round stuff, but since the midnight-vote-stamp deadline applies, it won't affect the results at all

hopefully it will be all done by Friday morning when I'm back from holidays vacation

:)

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/06/07 at 10:32 pm

5 points for #2.  Red Ant Unsavory Folks
4 points for #1.  Matthias Uneasy Writer
3 points for #5.  the_conqueror_of_parodies Under A 'C'
2 points for #4.  AgrimorfeeThe Unemployment Song
1 point for #6.  meow78223 Urim and Thummim

Written By: ThaConqueror on 04/07/07 at 1:58 am

1 point to McVey
2 points to Agri
3 points to Matthias
4 points to Johnny D
5 points to Red Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 04/12/07 at 11:44 am

Due to the MB being down yesterday I couldn't post my votes here, and since hotmail is acting up I've no way to know if Stu got my emailed votes. Well, here they are:

5 points to Agrimorfee
4 points to Matthias
3 points to Bobpiecheese
2 points to Johnny D
1 point to Wolverine

Also, in case you guys are unaware, ChuckyG reloaded the server from a few days old saved file, so some votes/entries in the contest threads may be missing now.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/13/07 at 1:32 am

Revised (only for the first time!) Results for the U round are:

1st place with 24 points:     "Uneasy Writer" by       Matthias
2nd place with 20 points:    "The Unemployment Song" by        Agrimorfee
3rd place with 19 points:     "Unsavory Folks" by        Red Ant

Johnny D 15
conqueror_of_parodies 15
wolverine 9
Mike McVey  2
Jack Wilson 1

1 disqualification:  Jack Wilson (I think..................er, pending)

congrats to Matthias, Agrimorfee and Red Ant

see you in the "V"s.....

Subject: Re: Voting Thread For ABC3 (U) - ****** results posted ******

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/13/07 at 9:23 am

Yay for us, Red & Matthias!...what a tight race that was! 8)

Thanks you guys!

Written By: meow78223 on 04/13/07 at 11:18 am

Hey, I voted!!! It wasn't my fault my post got lost.
MM

Results for the U round are:

equal 1st place with 19 points:    "Unsavory Folks" by Red Ant
equal 1st place with 19 points:    "Uneasy Rider" by Matthias
equal 3rd place with 17 points:    "The Unemployment Song" by Agrimorfee

Johnny D 15
conqueror_of_parodies 13
wolverine 5
Mike McVey  2

honourable mention to Jack Wilson
2 disqualifications:  Jack Wilson and Mike McVey

congrats to Red Ant, Matthias, and Agrimorfee  :):)      :)

see you in the "V"s.....

Written By: meow78223 on 04/13/07 at 11:24 am

In case you don't have a record, I think my votes went something like this:

5 points -- Matthias (Uneasy Writer)
4 -- Wolverine (U.S. Jail)
3 -- Agri's Unemployment Song
2 -- TCOP  (Under a C)
1 --  Jack Wilson (Uranus)

MM

Welcome to the
ABC3 (U)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC3(U) is midnight (amiright time)     Wednesday April 11
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r     (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC3 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

And the entries are.........

1.  Matthias
Uneasy Writer

2.  Red Ant
Unsavory Folks

3.  Johnny D
Up Botox Again

4.  Agrimorfee
The Unemployment Song
          DKTOS? Crawl out from under that rock and enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WU5purJUGw&mode=related&search=

5.  the_conqueror_of_parodies
Under A 'C'

6.  meow78223
Urim and Thummim

7.  Wolverine
U.S. Jail

8.  Jack Wilson
Uranus

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/13/07 at 6:20 pm

In case you don't have a record, I think my votes went something like this:

5 points -- Matthias (Uneasy Writer)
4 -- Wolverine (U.S. Jail)
3 -- Agri's Unemployment Song
2 -- TCOP  (Under a C)
1 --  Jack Wilson (Uranus)

MM

wow - here's a problem that I totally expected and dreaded :(

I can't make a snap decision on this one - which doesn't mean I don't believe you Mike, because I do (I don't think you'd bother, if it weren't true) - it's just that it affects so many others

I'm inclined to recalculate the U-vote to include your votes (and naturally overturn your  disqualification) - but only after the people it negatively affects (ie Red Ant) gets to read of this little dilemma

for the record, as these are such unusual circumstances, it's my view that no compromising precedent would be set by allowing your votes to stand under these unusual circumstances 

if no contrary opinion is posted in the next 12 hours, I'll redo the voting

- stu

PS:  of course, if anyone can vouch for seeing Mike's votes posted before the crash, problem over! :D

Written By: Matthias on 04/13/07 at 6:57 pm

I win either way, BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA  ;)

Not to be a sore winner or anything
Good luck Red Ant

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 04/13/07 at 7:21 pm

wow - here's a problem that I totally expected and dreaded :(

I can't make a snap decision on this one - which doesn't mean I don't believe you Mike, because I do (I don't think you'd bother, if it weren't true) - it's just that it affects so many others

I'm inclined to recalculate the U-vote to include your votes (and naturally overturn your  disqualification) - but only after the people it negatively affects (ie Red Ant) gets to read of this little dilemma

for the record, as these are such unusual circumstances, it's my view that no compromising precedent would be set by allowing your votes to stand under these unusual circumstances 

if no contrary opinion is posted in the next 12 hours, I'll redo the voting

- stu

PS:  of course, if anyone can vouch for seeing Mike's votes posted before the crash, problem over! :D

I know this has nothing to do with me, but I'm going to throw my dang hat into the ring anyway.

There IS no precedent for having posts wiped so, IMHO, any judgement on this would stand alone.

I sometimes don't visit amiright or inthe00s for days, weeks, and occasionally months...so if I had entered this contest there would be a fair to middling chance that I would be unaware my vote got lost in cyberspace. If I had voted honestly (which I'm sure Mike did), there would not necessarily be a reason for me to visit the site if I didn't have time...so I would miss the voting deadline (as Mike did).

I think you have include these votes regardless of how it effects places...which is tough for those who lose out, but who wouldn't have placed anyway if the whole debacle didn't occur in the first place.

I'll shut up now...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/13/07 at 8:00 pm

I know this has nothing to do with me, but I'm going to throw my dang hat into the ring anyway.

There IS no precedent for having posts wiped so, IMHO, any judgement on this would stand alone.

I sometimes don't visit amiright or inthe00s for days, weeks, and occasionally months...so if I had entered this contest there would be a fair to middling chance that I would be unaware my vote got lost in cyberspace. If I had voted honestly (which I'm sure Mike did), there would not necessarily be a reason for me to visit the site if I didn't have time...so I would miss the voting deadline (as Mike did).

I think you have include these votes regardless of how it effects places...which is tough for those who lose out, but who wouldn't have placed anyway if the whole debacle didn't occur in the first place.

I'll shut up now...

exactly, KR - any other action would be clearly unfair imo

btw my concern was about setting a precedent not following one, but even so, it would not be a dangerous precedent to set

again, if anyone saw Mike's votes up, say so...in which case gray skies are gonna clear up :)

Written By: Cat on 04/13/07 at 9:30 pm

I'm almost certain that I did.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/13/07 at 10:42 pm

There's no dilemma here, Stu. I'm sure Mike voted (I believe I saw them myself) and his votes should be counted.  :)

Congrats to Matthias and Aggy.

PS: This is not setting a precedent really. The MB is unlikely to ever go through such a thing again (i.e a 3 day post wipe), and only in that case should the "my vote was wiped" issue ever come up again.

Written By: Wolverine on 04/13/07 at 11:27 pm

I'm for keeping Mike's vote.  I'm pretty sure I had 10 points when the results were first posted, and the top guy had 27.  Including Mike's puts me at 9.  It's possible that Jack may have voted as well, but I don't see any response from him.  And it may be...like Kristof said...he hasn't visited or viewed this thread since the posts were lost.

Congrats to Ant, Matthias, Agri, and everyone else.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/14/07 at 4:36 am

Thanks Red Ant!!

thanks also to cat and Wolverine for their witness reports (and going by your recollection Wolverine, there may soon be a similar appeal by Jack W)

see revised tallies on my original results post everyone

Written By: Matthias on 04/14/07 at 11:03 am

Revised (only for the first time!) Results for the U round are:

1st place with 24 points:     "Uneasy Rider" by       Matthias
2nd place with 20 points:    "The Unemployment Song" by        Agrimorfee
3rd place with 19 points:     "Unsavory Folks" by        Red Ant

Johnny D 15
conqueror_of_parodies 15
wolverine 9
Mike McVey  2
Jack Wilson 1

1 disqualification:  Jack Wilson (I think..................er, pending)

congrats to Matthias, Agrimorfee and Red Ant

see you in the "V"s.....

Stuart the title of my parody was "Uneasy Writer" not "Uneasy Rider"
"Uneasy Rider" is the OS title

Written By: meow78223 on 04/14/07 at 2:42 pm

I appreciate everyone's support :) Thanls.

For me the real issue isn't how I did in this round -- I think someone else's votes got lost and that would have left me with a whopping 3 points i/o 2  ;D My concern was more about missing a far better opportunity in the V round.

Thanks again,

MM

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/17/07 at 12:52 pm

Ah well, it's only the Internet, and we 3 are still in the top spots. So it's all cool.

Check for new replies or respond here...