inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: March SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: skittlesking on 04/12/07 at 8:25 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a timestamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

1. You Made Stew Into a Bomb by Matthias

2. Careless Charnstar by Charnstar

3. Good Morning Starbucks by Johnny D

4. 88 Lines About 44 Cartoon Females by Chris Frederick
      YouTube Video

5. 88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates by Kristof Robertson
      YouTube Video

6. Wife's Secret Tale by Below Average Dave
      YouTube Video
      The Recording

7. Learn A-La-Carte (Its Culinary Art) by Jason

8. Meet Spanky Noodle by Yoidy

9. Hedge Trimmers by Mikey Squirrel

10. How Much I Owe in Taxes by Tim Mayfield

11. Stuck Outside of Memphis in a Mobile Home with Sli by Michael McVey

12. Maniac II by Max Power
      YouTube

13. The Nutritionist's Song by Phil Alexander

14. My Family's Strange by wannabemustangjockey

15. Decepticon Idiot 01: Decepticon Idiot by Conqueror of Parodies
    Original MP3

16. Slay the Dragon by Agimorfee
    YouTube

17. Lisa Went Down to Walmart by Wolverine

18. That Heck Of A Feminist, Cheryl by Stuart McArthur

19. You Suck at Every Sport by Jack Wilson
    YouTube

Subject: Re: March SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: The Charnstar on 04/15/07 at 6:07 am

1 point goes to Agrimorfee with his dragon slaying
2 points go to Wannabemustangjockey with his Strange Family
3 points go to Matthias, for his disastrous foodly tale
4 points go to Chris Federick for his Cartoony womenlies

And finally, the five points goes to the always lovely, always awesome: KRISTOF ROBERTSON! He had 44 Strange Dates and I bet it was worth it to get a nice healthy dosage of Five points... well, not really, but I still reckon he's gonna win, that song KICKED ASS!

Also, honorable.. something... Damn it, I forgot the word... to Dave, his song ruled, but for some reason, paper beats rock... I've never understood that... I mean come on, rock tears through paper easily... and it's not like rock breathes... nor does it get paper cuts... Stupid rock

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/17/07 at 11:05 am

Anyone getting an error message similar to this on the above links *sometimes*?  :o ???

EDIT: Chucky responded to this issue on another thread when I reported the same, and said, "not related to the comment system.  It's some stupid thing my hosting company installed and it appears to still be causing issues." Just keep trying to re-enter the URL until it works!

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /parody/misc/gilbertandsullivan110.shtml on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.amiright.com Port 80

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/17/07 at 11:16 am

5pts=Chris Frederick (Chris, in a tight race for the 88 Lines, you beat the big K just because he decided to date Britney twice... ;))
4pts=Kristof
3pts=Wolverine
2pts=Tim Mayfield
1pt=Stuart M.

Written By: yoidy on 04/18/07 at 9:26 pm

Let's try again! My screen malfunctioned. Lotta good entries, here are my picks:

1. 88 Lines About 44 Cartoon Females by Chris Frederick 5pts

2. The Nutritionist's Song by Phil Alexander 4pts

3. My Family's Strange by wannabemustangjockey 3pts

4. Maniac II by Max Power 2pts

5. Stuck Outside of Memphis in a Mobile Home with Sli by Michael McVey 1pt

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/19/07 at 7:42 am

Let's try again! My screen malfunctioned. Lotta good entries, here are my picks:

Yo, Yoidy! You can delete the bad one, hit "remove" in the upper right corner of your post.  8)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 04/25/07 at 8:23 pm

1 point to Wolverine
2 points to wannabemustangjockey
3 points to Stu
4 points to Chirs
5 points to Kristof

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/07 at 11:24 am

5 Points To: Below Average Dave with his Lesbian Wife
4 Points To: Chris Fredrick with his 88 Cartoon Bimbos
3 Points To: Wannabemustangjockey with his Strange Family
2 Points To: Kristof Robertson with his 88 Whacky Dates
1 Point To: Agrimorfee with his Brave Princess

Written By: Max Power on 04/26/07 at 8:53 pm

5pts - Kris' 88 dates

4pts - Dave's average lesbian wife

3pts - Chris' 88 cartoon wives

2pts - Phil's steroids bought from BALCO

1pts - Jockey's dysfunctional family

Written By: Jason on 04/27/07 at 9:32 am

Wow! What a great collection of songs! Unfortunatly I can only vote for 5 of them!

So here are my votes

5 points: Hedge Trimmers by Mikey Squirrel
4 points: 88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates by Kristof Robertson
3 points: Good Morning Starbucks by Johnny D
2 points: That Heck Of A Feminist, Cheryl by Stuart McArthur
1 point : You Suck at Every Sport by Jack Wilson

Good luck to all of you!

Jason

Written By: K1chyd on 04/28/07 at 10:19 am

This was by far the hardest month in a long time, I found as much as seven parodies worthy of medals in a normal round, and though I at those times normally end up finding something to give some song a small edge over another I had to reverse engineer the process this time, and without further ado offer my kudos, apologies and reasons to Chris Frederick and The Charnstar for unbelievably not including their masterpieces among my final five, in the first case it was because I realised I didn't really know a lot of the cartoons and in the second case it was because I could relate all too well (long story, don't ask!)

1 Point: "How Much I Owe In Taxes"

2 Points: "My Family's Strange"

3 Points: "Good Morning Starbucks" (Loved the in-betweeen drippy drop plenty / snobby sippy java etc paragraphs).

4 Points: "88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates"

5 Points: "That Heck Of A Feminist, Cheryl"

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 04/28/07 at 11:51 pm

5pts - Phil's truly offal parody
4pts - Kristof's dating disasters
3pts - Stu's feminist heck
2pts - Below Average Dave's wife's adventures in sexuality
1pt - Chris's many animated romances

Very difficult month, numerous excellent parodies! Great job everyone!

Edit: so my bonus pick, then, for one point, will be Wolverine's evil Wal-Mart trip. All my other previous choices move up one in point value as per the proposition.
Wow, this will be an interesting one to tally up.

For the purpose of easier counting, here are my votes again with the proper point value assigned to each.

5pts - Kristof's dating disasters
4pts - Stu's feminist heck
3pts - Below Average Dave's wife's adventures in sexuality
2pts - Chris's many animated romances
1pt - Wolverine's evil Wal-Mart trip

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 04/29/07 at 4:58 pm

Another brilliant month. May the good ship SOTM sail the parody seas for years to come!

5 pts: Chris F's cartoon collective. Stupendous!
4 pts: jockeys uber-addams family
3 pts: Tim's taxation tale
2 pts: Johnny's mirthaccino
1 pt: Stu's Greer-ly clever parody

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/29/07 at 10:09 pm

5 points for #13. The Nutritionist's Song by Phil Alexander
5 points for #2. Careless Charnstar by Charnstar
4 points for #17. Lisa Went Down to Walmart by Wolverine
3 points for #10. How Much I Owe in Taxes by Tim Mayfield
2 points for #9. Hedge Trimmers by Mikey Squirrel
1 point for #18. That Heck Of A Feminist, Cheryl by Stuart McArthur

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/29/07 at 10:32 pm

what Peter (K1) said - tough job

5 points...................4.   88 Lines About 44 Cartoon Females  -  Chris Frederick
4 points...................13. The Nutritionist's Song  -  Phil Alexander
4 points...................14. My Family's Strange  -  wannabemustangjockey
3 points...................17. Lisa Went Down to Walmart  -  Wolverine
2 point....................5.   88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates  -  Kristof Robertson
1 point....................2.  Careless Charnstar - The Charnstar

apologies Tim, BA Dave, JD

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 04/29/07 at 10:39 pm

Tough round. Lots of long parodies and musical movie tunes. Here's my votes...
5 pts- 88 Lines About 44 Cartoon Females by Chris Frederick
4 pts- Good Morning Starbucks by Johnny D
3 pts- Lisa Went Down to Walmart by Wolverine
2 pts- 88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates by Kristof Robertson
1 pt - Careless Charnstar by Charnstar

Good job, guys.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 1:17 am

I won't leave as long an explination as I normally do. . .I'm kinda tired after being up for 5 hours to read parodies and check their pacing. . .

Two Honorable Mentions this month. . .
A: Stuart McArthur:  I loved this parody, and the subject matter I found to be funny, So many tough parodies this month, and this one deserved to be in the top 5 also
B: Kristof Robertson: This is probably the first, and maybe the only time, I've ever not put you into my top 5, not that it wasn't funny, because it was written like the pro you are, but I just felt these 5 were a bit more unique, but Kristof, I loved it, really, and I don't tend to care for list parodies. . .so it says a lot. . .

5th One Heck of a Feminist by Stu McArthur for 1 Point

4th Place, 2 Point goes to Chris Frederick and his 88/44 Cartoon Females
   Like I said before, not generally a fan of list parodies, but this one was too inclusive and too funny not to get any points from me. . .It was kinda said before this month started it was the two versions of this song who would finish 1 and 2, I don't know who's on top at the moment, and frankly, either way, 1st and 2nd are practically equal in this contest anyway, good job

3rd Place, 3 Points go to wannabemustangjockey's My Family's Strange
   Honestly, I went into this parody thinking I was going to hate it. . .just read the parody, you can't do anything but love it.

2nd Place, 4 Points go to Wolverine's Lisa Went Down to Walmart
  My favorite "Devil Went Down to Georgia" parody to date, and if I didn't know better, I would not have guessed this to be a newbie parody

1st Place, 5 Points go to Charnstar's Careless Charnstar
  I thought this was Charnstar's best work to date, anyone who can laugh at himself, deserves honor in my opinion. . .great parody here

1st Place, 5 Points go to Phil Alexander's Nutritionist's Song
  The best 'gross' parody to date, again I think the subject matter might be held against it, not in my case, it was the most fun and entertaining song this month, and I felt it deserved top nods.

Written By: philbo on 04/30/07 at 4:30 am

An apology: I'm not going to be voting in this month's SOTM - a few factors (a touch of food poisoning, being owed many thousands, banks losing cheques, customers not paying up, and being threatened with court action for not paying 'cause I've not been paid) seem to have robbed me of my sense of humour.  I've read through all this month's offerings without it even raising a smile, so I guess it must be me who's out of sync...  I haven't commented 'cause I simply couldn't think of anything nice to say, which is fairly unlike me (or at least, the me I like to think of as "me").
Here's hoping this brief interlude is over as quickly as possible, and I'm back to my normal smiley self in time for the May SOTM.

Written By: meow78223 on 04/30/07 at 10:21 am

1st place- 5 points: "Lisa Went Down to Walmart" by Wolverine
2nd place- 4 points: "You Made Stew Into a Bomb" by Matthias
3rd place- 3 points: "How Much I Owe in Taxes" by Tim Mayfield
4th place- 2 points: "Good Morning Starbucks" by Johnny D
5th place- 1 point: "Meet Spanky Noodle" by Yoidy

MM

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/30/07 at 2:49 pm

An apology: I'm not going to be voting in this month's SOTM - a few factors (a touch of food poisoning, being owed many thousands, banks losing cheques, customers not paying up, and being threatened with court action for not paying 'cause I've not been paid) seem to have robbed me of my sense of humour.  I've read through all this month's offerings without it even raising a smile, so I guess it must be me who's out of sync...  I haven't commented 'cause I simply couldn't think of anything nice to say, which is fairly unlike me (or at least, the me I like to think of as "me").
Here's hoping this brief interlude is over as quickly as possible, and I'm back to my normal smiley self in time for the May SOTM.

I hope things get better soon, Philbo -- my best wishes are with you.

karaokedavid82 - what does this turn of events mean for those of us who have already voted in both SOTM and POTM this month?

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 3:22 pm

That's terrible news. . .I really hope things get better, I am in a state of financial shock myself, so I know how that is. . .Many are wondering if this also means you will not be voting in the POTM competition.

Johnny, I don't know, I don't think I recall a previous time where an entrant withdrew prior to the end of the competition. . .There is a rule about changing votes. . .and I think I'll stay with that, but perhaps we should allow anyone who included Phil's Brilliant Nutritionist's Song to choose a new 5th place song, and all the others will be moved up accordingly?  Technically deadline is tonight at midnight, but since their really isn't a precedent to early withdraw, and I just recently took over the SOTM contests, if it is ok with all of you. . I'd like to consider allow two extra days for those who have included Phil in their top 5 to choose one song to receive one point, and I will realign the rest of their choices accordingly (IE If Phil was ranked 1st, the 2nd place song becomes 1st, 3rd to 2nd and so on with the new song getting 5th)  What do you guys think?  Because alot of us have voted Phil's song in our top 5, and he is a front runner for a potium finish. . .regular voting should be done tonight, but with the board down for 3 days and this new situation, I'm thinking a two day extension like the one extended for the POTM and an allowance for an exception to the "No Changing Vote" rule only to allow one new 5th place song, and not to realign the remaining songs except to move them up to replace Phil. . .maybe should be considered.  I will await the decision of the voters. . .if anyone objects, I will run this the same way I would if someone forgets to vote and earns a DQ, but I will likely offer a rule change for voting on next month.

Thank you Johnny D for asking that, because it's something that's not really defined.  We say when someone fails to vote, they forfeit points, from what I read, there is no rule that says the same for those who withdraw from competition voting as far as replacement votes. . .because it's kinda like the points awarded were 0 votes. . .alright, I await the responses of the voters.

Sincerely,
Dave

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/30/07 at 4:09 pm

That's terrible news. . .I really hope things get better, I am in a state of financial shock myself, so I know how that is. . .Many are wondering if this also means you will not be voting in the POTM competition.

Johnny, I don't know, I don't think I recall a previous time where an entrant withdrew prior to the end of the competition. . .There is a rule about changing votes. . .and I think I'll stay with that, but perhaps we should allow anyone who included Phil's Brilliant Nutritionist's Song to choose a new 5th place song, and all the others will be moved up accordingly?  Technically deadline is tonight at midnight, but since their really isn't a precedent to early withdraw, and I just recently took over the SOTM contests, if it is ok with all of you. . I'd like to consider allow two extra days for those who have included Phil in their top 5 to choose one song to receive one point, and I will realign the rest of their choices accordingly (IE If Phil was ranked 1st, the 2nd place song becomes 1st, 3rd to 2nd and so on with the new song getting 5th)  What do you guys think?  Because alot of us have voted Phil's song in our top 5, and he is a front runner for a potium finish. . .regular voting should be done tonight, but with the board down for 3 days and this new situation, I'm thinking a two day extension like the one extended for the POTM and an allowance for an exception to the "No Changing Vote" rule only to allow one new 5th place song, and not to realign the remaining songs except to move them up to replace Phil. . .maybe should be considered.   I will await the decision of the voters. . .if anyone objects, I will run this the same way I would if someone forgets to vote and earns a DQ, but I will likely offer a rule change for voting on next month.

Thank you Johnny D for asking that, because it's something that's not really defined.  We say when someone fails to vote, they forfeit points, from what I read, there is no rule that says the same for those who withdraw from competition voting as far as replacement votes. . .because it's kinda like the points awarded were 0 votes. . .alright, I await the responses of the voters.

Sincerely,
Dave

I like the idea of dropping Philbo's parody from wherever it sits on the lists of those who voted for it, and allowing those voters to move each parody below it up one spot & then add a new 1-point parody to their voting list.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 04/30/07 at 6:53 pm

5 pts Chris' Cartoon Girls
4 Pts Kristof's strange dates
3 ots Matthias Stew
2 pts Wannabemustangjokey's  Not Addams or Munsters. But Still Strange Family
1 pt Johnny ' Starbucks

Written By: Wolverine on 04/30/07 at 7:00 pm

And now it's time for Good Idea, Bad Idea.

Good Idea:  Having several great songs to read for SOTM.  You get several laughs and/or thought-provoking parodies.
Bad Idea:  Having several great songs to read for SOTM.  You can only choose 5.

5 points - Kristof's 44 Strange Dates
4 points - Chris F's 44 Cartoon Females
3 points - Stu's Feminist Cheryl
2 points - The Charnstar's Carelessness
1 point - Agrimorfee's Slay the Dragon

Honorable Mentions to BAD's Wife, Tim Mayfield's Tax Preparer, Matthias' insight into BAD's cooking, MustangJockey's Strange Family, and Phil's skewering of a fake doctor.

Speaking of Mustang's Strange Family, I know we aren't supposed to change votes.  But I see that as I was preparing my votes, Jack Wilson gave 2 points to me for my "Strange Family that aren't X-Men".  I didn't write that one, so I don't know if those points should go to me for my Walmart song, or Mustang for his Strange Family song.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 7:05 pm

I like the idea of dropping Philbo's parody from wherever it sits on the lists of those who voted for it, and allowing those voters to move each parody below it up one spot & then add a new 1-point parody to their voting list.

We'll it appears that no one opposes allowing those who voted for Phil to pick a new 1 point song. . .so I'm going to allow it. . .I will post tonight a list of those who can optionally pick a 1 point song and allow two days for those people to pick it. . .as for the Strange Family who aren't X-Men, Jack, which parody where you referring to?--Wannabemustangjockey or Wolverine?

Written By: Matthias on 04/30/07 at 8:15 pm

Calling Chris AND Tim!!!!

You two have till MIDNIGHT to vote!!!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 04/30/07 at 8:48 pm

We'll it appears that no one opposes allowing those who voted for Phil to pick a new 1 point song. . .so I'm going to allow it. . .I will post tonight a list of those who can optionally pick a 1 point song and allow two days for those people to pick it. . .as for the Strange Family who aren't X-Men, Jack, which parody where you referring to?--Wannabemustangjockey or Wolverine?
oops, I meant Wannabemustangjockey, I guess the last comemnt on there beingb y Wolverine got me confused

Written By: tmayfield on 04/30/07 at 8:56 pm

Sorry Matthias... I WAS on vacation, but since SOTM voting is more important I did manage to come back home early (and just in time). I read these from an unsecured internet connection, but didn't feel safe posting replies and logging into Chuckie's system from an unsecured (i.e. non-WEP) connection. Better safe than exploited!

Here's my votes (I went ahead and removed Phil from my list and chose a replacement):

5 points "My Family's Strange" Parody by wannabemustangjockey - The ending was too good!! It was very Shel Silverstein-ish.  ::)
4 points "Slay The Dragon" Parody by Agrimorfee - Ditto on the ending! Must have been a long knife.  :o
3 points "Lisa Went Down to Walmart" Parody by Wolverine - Loved the bill-paying lines.  :D
2 points "Good Morning Starbucks" Parody by Johnny D - Just the kind of parody Starbucks deserves!  ;D
1 point "Hedge Trimmers" Parody by Mikey Squirrel - Classy and well-thought out.  :)

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 9:24 pm

You two have till MIDNIGHT to vote!!!

WHAT???? Chris hasn't voted????  He's like in 1st or 2nd, he has to vote.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 9:33 pm

Ok guys, 6 of you had voted for Phil Alexander in your top 5 as of 10:30PM, because I see no rule against it and no one has said they are opposed. . .the 6 people who included Phil in their top 5 may choose one song to be added for a point to their top 5, All songs ranked below Phil's song on those will be moved up one song and the new song will receive 5th place with one point. . .The tallies naturally will be a couple of days late as a result. . .this is being done because Phil Alexander had to drop out due to personal reasons.  You do not have to pick a new 5th place, but it is being done because someone requested it and I see no rule against it . . .

Those elligible to vote for ONE more song. . .

1. Yoidy
2. Max Power
3. wannabemustangjockey
4. Johnny D
5. Stu McArthur
6. Below Average Dave

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 9:42 pm

Ok guys, 6 of you had voted for Phil Alexander in your top 5 as of 10:30PM, because I see no rule against it and no one has said they are opposed. . .the 6 people who included Phil in their top 5 may choose one song to be added for a point to their top 5, All songs ranked below Phil's song on those will be moved up one song and the new song will receive 5th place with one point. . .The tallies naturally will be a couple of days late as a result. . .this is being done because Phil Alexander had to drop out due to personal reasons.  You do not have to pick a new 5th place, but it is being done because someone requested it and I see no rule against it . . .

1. Yoidy
2. Max Power
3. wannabemustangjockey
4. Johnny D
5. Stu McArthur
6. Below Average Dave

Oh and my 1st runner up was Stu McArthur's Heck of a Feminist, so that's my new number 5 song., so 1 of the 6 are done, if I can get the 6 before 5/2 that'd be great, but I understand picking a 5th song can be difficult, thus the two days, remember it is optional for those 6 affected by this.  And Phil I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/30/07 at 9:47 pm

I updated my vote posting on page 1 of this thread.

Written By: ChrisF on 04/30/07 at 10:15 pm

Sorry for voting so close to the deadline, folks.  I'm on a business trip and have spent my available song parody time trying to finish a WOTEF parody by the end of the month - unsuccessfully, as it turns out.

Anyway, as many people said, voting was tough to say the least.   There were a lot of excellent contenders to choose from.  Here goes:

5 points:  88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates - Kristof
4 points:  That Heck of a Feminist, Cheryl - Stuart
3 points:  Good Morning Starbucks - Johnny D
2 points:  My Family's Strange - wannabemustangjockey
1 point :  Meet Spanky Noodle - Yoidy

Apologies and kudos to Matthias, Below Average Dave, and Wolverine, who are all honorable mentions in a close race, and especially to Phil, who certainly would have placed if his circumstances had allowed.  Phil, I hope next month goes a lot better for you.

- Chris

Written By: skittlesking on 04/30/07 at 10:21 pm

Sorry for voting so close to the deadline, folks.  I'm on a business trip and have spent my available song parody time trying to finish a WOTEF parody by the end of the month - unsuccessfully, as it turns out.

Anyway, as many people said, voting was tough to say the least.   There were a lot of excellent contenders to choose from.  Here goes:

5 points:  88 Lines About 44 Strange Dates - Kristof
4 points:  That Heck of a Feminist, Cheryl - Stuart
3 points:  Good Morning Starbucks - Johnny D
2 points:  My Family's Strange - wannabemustangjockey
1 point :  Meet Spanky Noodle - Yoidy

Apologies and kudos to Matthias, Below Average Dave, and Wolverine, who are all honorable mentions in a close race, and especially to Phil, who certainly would have placed if his circumstances had allowed.  Phil, I hope next month goes a lot better for you.

- Chris

Chris you scared me there. . .as one who likely potiumed, I thought in my first month of running this thread along with Matthias, you'd be the first SOTM Potium to not vote!  Thanks buddy. . .and great job yourself, thanks for the mention.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/30/07 at 11:38 pm

bad news Phil, and a shock that you felt you had to pull out given you were doing so well - hope things improve, mate (and they always do)

baptism by fire, BADave - same thing happened to me on my first running of the ABCs - had to call a 3-way tie with no precedent

(I've adjusted my votes back on my original post, as you requested)

Written By: The Charnstar on 05/01/07 at 3:27 am

I REMEMBER THE WORD I WAS MEANT TO SAY! Mention! Honourable MENTION.. duh... seems so obvious now

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 05/01/07 at 3:51 am

1. Yoidy
2. Max Power
3. wannabemustangjockey
4. Johnny D
5. Stu McArthur
6. Below Average Dave

Please see my original post on page 1 for my updated votes.

I am assuming that your May 2 deadline is still in effect, yes?

Written By: K1chyd on 05/01/07 at 12:42 pm

Allow me to be the lone voice in the wilderness here, the one who states that Phil's points should NOT be forfeited and that Claude Prez, the original creator of this contest, at least should be consulted before such a thing is put to affect.

There's already a punishment in the rules for not voting in time; not being allowed to enter the next round, something Phil obviously is aware of since he finish off his message with See You all in the May round (not April) of SOTM, or something to that extent.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

In my interpretation it is the parodist who is disqualified, not his/hers parody in the current round, and I don't think we've lifted points before in similar situations, though given that's probably because not voting parcipants have not stated so soo clearly in midst-voting, or redrawn their entry before voting begun at all.

Additional: Unless the rules for this year's Parodist of the Year 12 month running contest has changed during my recent absence the points Phil have gotten in this round is also counted towards his yearly toll, right? That might be taken into account too before a new policy is put into use here.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/01/07 at 1:01 pm

Allow me to be the lone voice in the wilderness here, the one who states that Phil's points should NOT be forfeited and that Claude Prez, the original creator of this contest, at least should be consulted before such a thing is put to affect.

There's already a punishment in the rules for not voting in time; not being allowed to enter the next round, something Phil obviously is aware of since he finish off his message with See You all in the May round (not April) of SOTM, or something to that extent.

In my interpretation it is the parodist who is disqualified, not his/hers parody in the current round, and I don't think we've lifted points before in similar situations, though given that's probably because not voting parcipants have not stated so soo clearly in midst-voting, or redrawn their entry before voting begun at all.

Additional: Unless the rules for this year's Parodist of the Year 12 month running contest has changed during my recent absence the points Phil have gotten in this round is also counted towards his yearly toll, right? That might be taken into account too before a new policy is put into use here.

I abstain in advance from any discussion or vote as to how to proceed in this matter.  If Phil's parody is reinstated, I will be glad to un-cross-out his parody on my voting list and cross-out my newly-added new 1-point entry on my voting list.

It really makes no difference to me - I'll go along with the consensus.  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/01/07 at 1:52 pm

I must have deleted my earlier post. Anyway, there is a precedent set for withdrawn entries. See this post and the few that follow it.

In that contest, I didn't allow the few who voted for the withdrawn parody (myself included) to re-vote another piece, because once votes are cast they stay that way. It's a shame though that so many points are going for a null entry this time since SOTM is so competitive. But, allowing those who have already voted for Phil to recast their last place vote is sorta changing the rules mid-competition IMO.

The time extension is understandable since the MB was down for several days this past month, but IIRC the new rule passed a month or so ago eliminates the contest going any further than midnight, board time, on the last day of the month.

Withdrawing is the same as DQing yourself; all points for that round are forfeit.

I hope things get better for you soon, Phil.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/01/07 at 5:06 pm

I must have deleted my earlier post. Anyway, there is a precedent set for withdrawn entries. See this post and the few that follow it.

In that contest, I didn't allow the few who voted for the withdrawn parody (myself included) to re-vote another piece, because once votes are cast they stay that way. It's a shame though that so many points are going for a null entry this time since SOTM is so competitive. But, allowing those who have already voted for Phil to recast their last place vote is sorta changing the rules mid-competition IMO.

The time extension is understandable since the MB was down for several days this past month, but IIRC the new rule passed a month or so ago eliminates the contest going any further than midnight, board time, on the last day of the month.

Withdrawing is the same as DQing yourself; all points for that round are forfeit.

I hope things get better for you soon, Phil.

I missed all this in the last day or two, but I'm with Red Ant on this one; the only difference between this situation and Phil missing the deadline is that he pre-emptively informed us that he was not going to vote. Allowing people to recast votes is setting a precedent outside of the established rules- NEVER in the history of SOTM have people been allowed to revote (I think....)
I understand you not wanting to be punitive, Dave...but I don't think we can start fiddling with the rules mid-contest. If the consensus is that we SHOULD be allowed to revote if someone pulls out mid-contest, then a referendum needs to happen, so that the rule can be changed fairly and democratically, as has happened in the past.

Phil: I hope everything clears up for you, mate...and that you and your wicked sense of humour can be back with us soon.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/01/07 at 7:39 pm

Please see my original post on page 1 for my updated votes.

I am assuming that your May 2 deadline is still in effect, yes?

yes, and thank you:)

and thank you Stu as well

Written By: skittlesking on 05/01/07 at 7:43 pm

yes, and thank you:)

and thank you Stu as well

Ok, I see the precedence set, so I will go ahead and tally based on original totals. . .but I am going to suggest a rule change next month as I do think that when a person announces a withdraw from a contest it affects the voting that takes place after the announcement. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 05/01/07 at 7:45 pm

Oh, and Tim, I'm sorry but that is not correct, points earned in a round you do not vote are forfeited by the same rule you quoted. . .'disqualified' means that their points do not count and that has been the way it has been enforced. . .but anyway. . .totally original votes now.

Written By: Max Power on 05/01/07 at 8:16 pm

5pts - Kris' 88 dates

4pts - Dave's average lesbian wife

3pts - Chris' 88 cartoon wives

2pts - Phil's steroids bought from BALCO

1pts - Jockey's dysfunctional family

1 pts - Agimorfee's murdering dragons in cold blood

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/01/07 at 11:18 pm

I missed all this in the last day or two, but I'm with Red Ant on this one; the only difference between this situation and Phil missing the deadline is that he pre-emptively informed us that he was not going to vote. Allowing people to recast votes is setting a precedent outside of the established rules- NEVER in the history of SOTM have people been allowed to revote (I think....)
I understand you not wanting to be punitive, Dave...but I don't think we can start fiddling with the rules mid-contest. If the consensus is that we SHOULD be allowed to revote if someone pulls out mid-contest, then a referendum needs to happen, so that the rule can be changed fairly and democratically, as has happened in the past.

Phil: I hope everything clears up for you, mate...and that you and your wicked sense of humour can be back with us soon.

I also agree with Red Ant, Kristof and Peter - Phil should be considered a simple disqualification for not voting - it's easy, obvious, and the precedent is there.  I was quite uncomfortable about redoing votes, so I'm glad you've taken that course Dave.

I do see your point though.  If someone pulls out midway, those that vote after that information are voting under different circumstances to those voting before the info, and points are allocated differently.  I don't think it's a huge problem though, and the impact is really neither here nor there imo.  I wouldn't be voting for a rule change that required everyone to reorder votes whenever there's a withdrawal.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 05/02/07 at 3:08 am

I'm confused now. Are we or are we not counting Phil's points? I agree with Johnny D; if by allowing "revoting" the rules of SOTM are being strained or broken, I'll also be happy to let my original votes be used for the final tally. If the updated votes turn out to be ok, then use those. I don't care how it's done, as long as it complies with whatever rules are in effect and allows us to fairly and properly pick a winner and move on to next month's SOTM.

It's moments like this that make me glad I don't run the place.

EDIT: Ignore all of the above, I just discovered the results thread  ;D

Written By: K1chyd on 05/02/07 at 3:22 am

Ok, I see the precedence set, so I will go ahead and tally based on original totals. . .but I am going to suggest a rule change next month as I do think that when a person announces a withdraw from a contest it affects the voting that takes place after the announcement. . .

Dave, let me say that I really appreciate that you've stepped in to keep this contest going, it's the BIG one and the one me (and others I think) keep surfing back to keep track of even when IRL restraints keep us from being full fledged amirighters/contestants/voter/younameits. Thank you!  :) :) :)

I spoke up because I thought maybe you've gotten a bit carried away with noob enthusiasm over the responsibility and shoot from the hip a ruling that was not consistent with prior handlings of similar situations, though I admit that the exact situation may not have occurred before.

As for a rule change I might vote for it, maybe it'll even encourage earlier voting in general, but I do see one problem with it: What if someone votes early and then doesn't check in on the thread until the voting is supposed to be over? Then he/she will miss the need to update his/her vote, and we'll get another kind of problem with missing points, one that might affect the total tallies and medals outcome even more than the preknowledge-when-voting that one of the contestants is being DQ:ed in the current and/or next round.

Written By: philbo on 05/02/07 at 5:51 am

Oops... sorry, I really didn't think what I was going to do to the competition as it stood.  On reflection, since voting had started, maybe I should have stayed schtumm till after it had closed... except that I felt I was "doing the right thing" to withdraw (in a moment of self-indulgent self-pity, I knew I wasn't going to be giving a fair account in my voting), to give people a chance not to waste their vote. 

Still not sure what would be the correct course of action to someone who realizes in the middle of a contest that they're not going to be able (for whatever reason) - one suggestion might be to have a clause in the rules section that states something along the lines of "Withdrawals: if you feel the need to withdraw from a SOTM competition, please state so clearly either before the first vote has been cast or after voting has closed" - at least that makes for a level playing field, which has to be the primary aim, I guess.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/02/07 at 7:11 am

Just to keep things simple I went by the original votes. . .since there was precedence

sorry for the confusion, when i first posted in response to the request no one posted anything, it wasn't till after I sent those letters and everything that anyone said anything, so I apologize, anyway. . .I will be suggesting a small rule change tod efine one way or the other for next months comp.

Check for new replies or respond here...