inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 1 Voting (May 16th Deadline)

Written By: skittlesking on 05/02/07 at 11:29 pm

Disney, Animated Films & Cartoons

http://www.badave.com/artists/artistry/pics/disney.jpg

As stated prior to this thread, VOTING is worth points.  If you vote and did not enter this contest, you will get 3 points towards the overall 5 year standings in the Artistry contest.  When you vote as an entrant in this round, you recieve 5 points for voting. . .that means no one who votes ends with no points. . . .

Anyway, the rules are pretty similar to other contests.  This is round 1 so please know that ALL rounds will count EQUALLY toward the final standings, and NO rounds will be ommitted from the final total.

Please know I do track Honorable Mentions as well.  Thank You.  They are the final tie breaker if all other tie breakers fail.

1. All participants must comment on all entrants and vote by the deadline, which for this rounds is May 16th, 2007.  Failure to vote will forfeit all points from this round, and if that is less than 20 points, the difference will be forfeited in the following round (No Disqualifications)

2. Voting will take place by one of two options.  You may either vote on this thread, or by using the secret ballot

3. If a person withdraws from an Artistry Round prior to the end of a round, all entrants who voted for that person's entry will be permitted to pick one new song to earn a bonus point, all other songs will be realigned accordingly.  There will be no penalty on those who don't change their vote.

4. Once a vote is posted, it cannot be changed UNLESS rule 3 applies OR there was a double-vote by accident.

5. Late entries will be accepted until the 1st vote has been posted.

6. The deadline is a strict deadline, the moment the date has reached the day after the deadline, no votes will count, this is to reduce last minute voting, or sympathy/favoritism towards different entrants.

7. We ask that any entrant who posts a link to his/her original song (source of parody) not be DKTOS for the contest.

8. All other basic competition rules as applied in other compeitions are generally followed.  The rules may not be changed or altered unless two/thirds of those voting in a round where a rule change is requested agrees.  Rules may be added by host (Below Average Dave) if it was a rule in the ABC or SOTM contest that was thought to be common knowledge, but not known by a particular entrant.

WITHOUT FURTHER ADU, The Contestants for Round 1, the Animation Round, Are:

1.  In a Greek Taverna, Part 2 by Agimorfee
    You Tube Video

2. She Loves Meat by Matthias
      You Tube Video

3.  Under A'C' by the Conqueror of Parodies
    You Tube Video

4. Dave Will Not Be Pleased! by Tomario
    You Tube Video

5. All About Me by Rex Ungericht
    You Tube Video

6. ExLax With Curry by poomaster
    You Tube Video

7. Buy My CD by Josh2
    You Tube Video

8. Going Out With a Weirdo by Mikey Squirrel
      You Tube Video 

9. Poor Insensitive Trolls by Below Average Dave
      You Tube Video
      Dave's Recording

10. Mr. Burns by Ethan Mawyer
      You Tube Video

Alright Guys, Everyone who votes should pick a top 5, those who aren't in this round but think they may enter a future round may vote to earn 3 points. . .and remember, if you missed the entry date, you can still enter if it's before the first vote gets cast.

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 1 Voting (May 16th Deadline)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/07 at 7:30 am

7. We ask that any entrant who posts a link to his/her original song (source of parody) not be DKTOS for the contest.

Please clarify this, I don't understand.

Everyone, here is a shorter clip of Hakuna Matata (Dave, if you can replace my initial Youtube link with this, it would be soooo cool of you! ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU&mode=related&search=

Good luck to all! 8)

Written By: EthanM on 05/03/07 at 9:18 am

I think that just means that all the original songs are available so there is no excuse for discounting the parodue due to dktos...although personally if everything else is equal or close to it then I'll give the points to the song with an OS that I knew before.

Written By: Matthias on 05/03/07 at 10:20 am

5 Points To: The Conquerer Of Parodies with his below average test (Heh, I would expect Dave to have written this one)
4 Points To: Agrimorfee with his Greek Swear World (Any parody that teaches you to cuss in a diffrent language is a good parody as far as I'm concerned)
3 Points To: Rex Ungericht with his Ego Trip (A very good parody in my opinion, and you wouldn't be able to tell me I'm wrong, because your parody was so self-centered)
2 Points To: Below Average Dave with his Under The C-Drive Villain (Very technological, I didn't quite understand it at first, but it was a very good parody and recording)
1 Point To: Ethan Mawyer with his simply Simpsons parody (As I said: A very good tribute to a very evil man)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/07 at 1:03 pm

I think that just means that all the original songs are available so there is no excuse for discounting the parodue due to dktos...although personally if everything else is equal or close to it then I'll give the points to the song with an OS that I knew before.

I always look at the overall writing quality if DKTOS and an online source is not available. I've rated a few parodies in Top 5 ranks just by reading them alone!

Written By: tomario on 05/03/07 at 2:42 pm

my votes are :-

1 point  -Agimorfee

2 points -the Conqueror of Parodies

3 points -Matthias

4 points -Mikey Squirrel

5 points -Rex Ungericht

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/07 at 5:06 pm

5pts=Matthias
4pts=Conqueror
3pts=Mikey
2pts=Rex
1pt=Ethan

Written By: skittlesking on 05/03/07 at 7:38 pm

Please clarify this, I don't understand.

Everyone, here is a shorter clip of Hakuna Matata (Dave, if you can replace my initial Youtube link with this, it would be soooo cool of you! ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU&mode=related&search=

Good luck to all! 8)

In other words, if a "you tube" or "mp3" link is provided, I ask that no one comment with DKTOS for their official reply.  Because, in theory, by using You Tube, there is no reason someone should not know the original song after listening.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/03/07 at 11:32 pm

Based on the fact that 30% of the people voted before even 24 hours had passed, I think it's safe to say the secret ballot thing is not going to be necessary. . .anyone who does want it, I will offer it as an email vote instead, which will be printed and stored in my documents just in case someone questions a vote. 

The email votes should be sent directly to

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/04/07 at 7:33 am

Somehow I get the feeling that folks who didn't submit don't have the idea that they can STILL VOTE.  ???

I think it was just happenstance that all of us voted early...it might not happen again.

Written By: Rex on 05/04/07 at 10:41 am

1 point to BAD
2 points to the Conqueror
3 points to Matthias
4 points to Ethan
5 points to Agrimorfee

Honorable mention to tomario

Written By: Rex on 05/10/07 at 4:45 pm

Bumping back to page 1...

Written By: EthanM on 05/14/07 at 10:51 pm

I'll be voting tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Written By: Matthias on 05/14/07 at 11:06 pm

Come people you all had better start voting!!!

Written By: skittlesking on 05/15/07 at 3:47 am

Come people you all had better start voting!!!

You know I started this one, and lord I forgot my deadline is May 16th. . .I better get cracking.

Written By: EthanM on 05/15/07 at 10:49 pm

5 points - Conqueror
4 points - Rex
3 points - Matthias
2 points - Mikey
1 point - BADave

Honorable mention to agrimorfee

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/16/07 at 12:03 am

Wow. Alot of good ones in this contest. So hard to choose...so..

5 pts: Rex's vanity
4 pts: BADave takes it's troll
3 pts: Agri's Greek tragedy
2 pts: Tomarios rhyming recognition
1 pt:  Conqueror's bad report card

That's right - now I'm doing clever naming for my voting, too! ;D

Written By: poomaster on 05/16/07 at 1:20 am

5 pts: Matthias
4 pts: Mikey Squirrel
3 pts: Agimorfeey
2 pts: Below Average Dave
1 pt:  Conqueror of Parodies

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/16/07 at 2:35 am

1 point to Rex
2 points to Agri
3 points to Ethan
4 points to BAD
5 points to Matthias

Phew! Got it in time...I think.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/16/07 at 7:56 am

http://cdbaby.name/b/i/billsteely.jpg :D

Written By: Rex on 05/16/07 at 9:15 am

http://www.davesnothere.biz/media/graphics/body%20graphics/DNHalbum.jpg

Written By: skittlesking on 05/16/07 at 4:21 pm

http://cdbaby.name/b/i/billsteely.jpg :D

Hee hee. . I'll vote tonight, I promise. . .I get back home around 9, I've already read the entries, I just have to go back and comment before I vote. . .sorry about the last minute voting, not typical of me, been a busy week at work:)

Written By: skittlesking on 05/16/07 at 9:42 pm

As I said before the comp started. . .HONORABLE MENTIONS will be one of the tie breakers, SO I will be using them for any song that I feel was deserving of points but didn't make my top 5 just because there were too many good entries.  This first round had A LOT more diversity than I thought it would. . .

I have two Honorable Mentions. . .

1. Mikey Squirrel.  Honestly, this is one of my favorite ideas in the contest, and you executed it very well, it paced well and if not for the sheer difficulty of some of the top 5 I ended up going with, you probably would have been in my top 5, BRAVO, and like I said, HMs DO count in this comp, so I figured this will help in tie breakers

2. Agimorfee.  You were my number 6 choice.  There were pacing issues in the talking parts, but it was very funny. . .as I said Hilarious. . .and the use of greek cursing was sheer comedy. . .nothing to take away from it. . .

Now, the top 5 in my opinion. . .

5th Place, 1 Point, Goes to. . .Ethan Mawyer
  Ethan, this was one of the better parodies I've read by you. . .I won't say best, that nightmare I recorded for you of Girlfriend is EXTREMELY funny, and it shows how much you are growing as an author.  Mr Burns would love it too. . .Simpsons are always a safe bet for any parody, they are naturally funny, and Mr Burns doesn't get enough attention for what he adds to the Simpsons. . .

4th Place, 2 Points Go To, . . .The Conqueror of Parodies.
  Alright, so you don't conquer pop quizes.  But You conquerored this heavily parodied classic.  I've read so many Under The Sea parodies, and almost all of them are classics.  I do my best not to let that be my judging point.  I liked how your grades go lower and lower and lower throughout the song, I thought that was very creative, although you have a lot of room to grow, parodies like this show that you have a bright mind for this kind of activity.

3rd Place, 3 Points Go To. . .Rex
  Why, Why have I not read anything else by you yet?  The quality of this parody is amazing.  Your ego-maniac song is hilarious.  It's always good to poke fun at yourself, they make for the BEST parodies.  The top parodies of all time do this.  When I first started reading this, I'm thinking to myself, "what an ego freak", but as I get through it, you are actually making fun of this type of person throughout the song from a first person point of view. . .very Zoolander of you, but unlike the movie--you didn't flop

2nd Place, 4 Points Go To. . .Matthias
  No matter how often I read this, the double entendres always get me.  I like a lot of your work, you know that or I wouldn't sing your songs. . .and this one was one of your best back when it came out.  While I think you've blown this one away recently, it amazes me you've only been in SOTY by WildCard, because you are one of the best at consistancy in style and sticking to being funny.  You don't try to overdue it, you aim for the laugh--and this one did not disappoint

1st Place, 5 POINTS Go to . . .Tomario.
  AND it's not because of the title.  The song, as with 2 of the other top 5 choices, pokes fun at his singing, and in the end the whole joke is about his writing.  I thought it was the wittiest thing I've read by Tomario yet, and it's the only "Beauty and the Beast" parody I've read on the site, making it very unique, original and creative. . .I absolutely loved it, hands down. . .

Also wanted to make one more comment. . .

Poomaster. . .Your writing is better than most would know after reading through your work.  I can't put my finger on it, but you have an inherent ability with the rhyming.  I think if you were to spice things up, and venture outside of poo, not completely (I don't hate scat parodies by default), but now and then. . .you could easily compete highly in these comps.  Your choruses could be a little more varried, I started out writing repeatitive choruses.  I'm not trying to put down what you are into, but I think you are a better writer than you are leading on. . .in fact, I think if you were to explore your ability, and try more types of parodies--you'd be able to compete in all of these contests heavily.  Your writing about poo when looked beyond the topic is actually somewhat clever, if you can do that with this kinda topic. . .you can do it with other topics. . .of course for all I know maybe you already do. . .but you are a good writer, with a 'different' interest. . .Your choice, you are welcome to continue in contests with Artistry, but I think you are capable of much more than what you are doing.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/16/07 at 9:48 pm

1 point to Rex
2 points to Agri
3 points to Ethan
4 points to BAD
5 points to Matthias

Phew! Got it in time...I think.

Yep Conq, You certainly did;)  And I meant to message you, I'm going to be posting deadlines on the future rounds in four different time zones so those who aren't in the Eastern US time zone have a fair baromter to judge on.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/17/07 at 2:25 am

I'm going to be posting deadlines on the future rounds in four different time zones so those who aren't in the Eastern US time zone have a fair baromter to judge on.

There's a good boy! Get the snack! Get the snack boy!

Written By: tomario on 05/17/07 at 8:03 pm

1st Place, 5 POINTS Go to . . .Tomario.
  AND it's not because of the title.  The song, as with 2 of the other top 5 choices, pokes fun at his singing, and in the end the whole joke is about his writing.  I thought it was the wittiest thing I've read by Tomario yet, and it's the only "Beauty and the Beast" parody I've read on the site, making it very unique, original and creative. . .I absolutely loved it, hands down. . .
:D oh gee BAD i don't know what to say, so glad you liked it i'm "chuffed to little mint balls"  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...