inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 2 Entry Thread: Ace of Base

Written By: skittlesking on 05/03/07 at 12:00 am

DEADLINE TO ENTER: May 16th

Song Two: Beautiful Life, which for those Swedish Music fans out there, that means It's Ace of Base's time to shine. . . .
http://www.badave.com/artists/artistry/pics/aob.jpg

Ace of Base is a Swedish Pop Group who were most famous for their work in the 90's, though they are still widely popular in Europe today and continue to produce successful albums and tour.  Ace of Base's top selling album was The Sign.  They are rumored to be influneced by another Swedish Pop Group, Abba, however they claim that their style is their own.  Influenced or not, the music produced by Ace of Base is worthy of it's claim and will forever be enriched in the mind of parodists.

Travel to Romantis

Strange Ways

Don't Turn Around

All That She Wants

Tokyo Girl

The Sign

Living in Danger

Love in December

Cruel Summer

Beautiful Life

Happy Nation

Beautiful Morning

Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry

Lucky Love

Hear Me Calling

Come to Me

Waiting for Magic

Angel Eyes

Love is a Flower

Wheel of Fortune

Unspeakable

Young & Proud

Everytime it Rains

Don't Go Away

Always Have, Always Will

C'est La Vie

Edge of Heaven

Dancer in a Daydream

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 2 Entry Thread: Ace of Base

Written By: Matthias on 05/03/07 at 12:08 am

I'm going to have to write one for this competition, and it's probably going to be one of the whackier ones that nobody has attempted yet, because that's just how I roll.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/07 at 1:06 am

Wow, Dave, that's a hell of a lot of research in finding OSs and linking them. I might take a stab at this one, though no guarantees. Too bad this isn't a "Swedish Band" round, 'cause I've got a few Drain STH parodies.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/03/07 at 3:00 am

I might get one in...a new one of course, as I've never even HEARD of this band before.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/03/07 at 4:58 am

Oh yes...must come up with something for this round. It's likely to be "The Sign", one of my favourite Europop songs of all time.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/07 at 8:17 am

This was one of the rounds I was NOT looking forward to. ::) I do have something in mind, though, if the idea hasn't already been taken.

Written By: Syncronos on 05/03/07 at 9:04 am

*cracks knuckles* I'm a little rusty, but I think I'll give this a shot

Written By: EthanM on 05/03/07 at 9:09 am

This will be a challenge...considering that there are only 2 ace of base songs that I have any memory of.

At least their songs are short

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/07 at 2:29 pm

Strangely enough they weren't that big here in Sweden, they rose to fame and took off from here so fast that they never really had a fan base before that happened, plus they had a very sniffy attitude towards coming back home to perform anything, ever never etc.

Also it was counted against them that one of the guys had a background in some sort of semi neo-nazi organization (that was the media angle anyway) and was dragged to court for having ran down some neighbours jetty/jetties (word?) with his brand new yacht when he bought a brand new house somewhere coastal and fancy.

"All that she wants" is one helluva good song though.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/03/07 at 11:43 pm

Thank you everyone, and I do hope you all enter, this contest is going to be very fun and very different in it's long term statistic tracking and the way it creates a history. . .

Red Ant, I have spent time downloading songs by all 140 artists (and major music types) to get a feel for what the fans of these artists need.  I also made lists with the most popular songs representing each of the 140 artists, some are longer than others, but I figured this gives those who haven't heard of the artist a chance to write something. . .I'm actually surprised so many people have never heard of Ace Of Base, here in America their "The Sign" and "The Bridge" albums were both big hits in the mid 90s. . .The great thing about them is, they make great parody targets because their songs have nice easy to pace verses.

Peter, I noticed that when I was researching the only one to go multi-platinum there was The Sign, and after that they barely even registered Gold. . .yet in the rest of Europe they've neared Diamond with a number of albums. . .interesting to me, but then it's kinda like that here with Michael Jackson lately. . .he's bigger elsewhere than he is here. . .but he had his time that's for sure.

Ethan--That's precisely why I have the videos, that way if you want to try another song, they are all pretty easy to learn for Ace of Base (which can be a wonderful thing), and they are all pretty fun, though I know not your typical style of music.

Syncronos: Please do, I really want to see your work, the members here remember you well, and out of over 500 parodists, that speaks for itself.

Agimorfee. . .really?  a little surprised on that one ;)  and to think Abba is still in the list too.

Kristof: YES!!!! You are the first Australian here who's heard of them (guess The Sign was there only big album there like in Sweden). . .The Sign is a fun song. . .but alas, Matthias Guy already has The Sign claimed for me.

Conqueror: Yes you have:)  Remember "Red Ant Surprise" from Ages round 2?  That was a parody of "Beautiful Life"  which is my "emergency entry" if I fail to get something else done for this round.  I actually think that is probably (quality wise) among my top 5 recordings to date. 

The Dave Train is rolling in, and as soon as I get everything caught up, my parody recordings will be exploding. . .

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/04/07 at 2:14 am

Conqueror: Yes you have:)  Remember "Red Ant Surprise" from Ages round 2?  That was a parody of "Beautiful Life"  which is my "emergency entry" if I fail to get something else done for this round.  I actually think that is probably (quality wise) among my top 5 recordings to date. 

Oh yeah...that reminds me! I have a great idea for this round. Just listen:

Today at school, I was doing my business, right? And I'm thinking of what to do for this round. The only Ace Of Base song I could remember at the time was 'Beautiful Life'. But what could I turn that into? I went through rhyming words and hit upon 'Terrible Lie'. But then I thought 'Isn't that an NIN song?' Then I thought 'So? I could adapt the lyrics from one into the other! Like what Spaff did with 'Smells Like Karen Carpenter'. Yeah!' So that's what I'm doin'. Likee?

Written By: tomario on 05/04/07 at 3:08 am

Just adding the finishing touches to my parody of All that she wants (is another baby) :- All that she wants (is another chablis)

I was dreading this round , but i have had great fun finding rhymes for baby. When i have finished i hope the brain numbness  will  not be permanent  :D

Written By: Syncronos on 05/04/07 at 9:36 am

Syncronos: Please do, I really want to see your work, the members here remember you well, and out of over 500 parodists, that speaks for itself.

Done. It was posted today.

Written By: Syncronos on 05/04/07 at 9:48 am

Er...how many entries can you make intot he contest?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/04/07 at 10:28 am

Er...how many entries can you make intot he contest?

One per round, but no limit on how many rounds.

Written By: Syncronos on 05/04/07 at 11:40 am

Well...then disregard the next one if it makes it through. I'll stick with Imus

Written By: Matthias on 05/04/07 at 1:27 pm

I'm going to try to parody, "Don't Turn Around" to a loud, annoying teenager complaining to his parents in the song, "Don't Turn It Down"

Written By: Syncronos on 05/04/07 at 2:11 pm

:-[ I just posted one to 'Don't Turn Around,' called 'Deal or No Deal.' Self explanatory. Inspiration strikes

Written By: tomario on 05/05/07 at 3:04 pm

oh well here goes :- "All that she wants is another Chablis!"

youtube

A parody inspired partly by the Steve Martin film "the man with two brains" ("i'm doing great in the finger sucking department !")

http://www.superherostuff.com/OtherItems/RefrigeratorMagnets/Images/gold_digger_magnet_2.jpg

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/07/07 at 4:02 am

Submitted! I wrote it so fast, like I wrote 'Really Bad Drivers' so fast. I'm not used to parodies in one sitting. Hope you likee!

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/07/07 at 7:50 am

Tomario, it's on! I have an "All That She Wants" parody too...not because you are doing it, but because the chorus got stuck in my head and I have to get ride of it!  ;)

(ENTRY TO BE PASTED HERE WHEN PUBLISHED)

Written By: tomario on 05/07/07 at 12:54 pm

Bring it on Agri ! Can't wait  ;)

Written By: Matthias on 05/08/07 at 10:02 am

What do these two guys have in common?

http://weeklyblurb.com/blog/images/cableguy.jpg

&

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/CableGuy/Cableguy.gif

They are both....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase15.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/08/07 at 10:26 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase14.shtml
http://www.wpahs.org/womenshealth/clinical/services/images/lactation.jpg ;)

Written By: Max Power on 05/08/07 at 5:53 pm

I'll do what I can, hope no one's offended by that joke from Dr. Strangelove.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/09/07 at 1:25 am

Here we go then!

Terrible Lie

What fun that was.

Written By: Rex on 05/09/07 at 7:41 am

For all you Star Trek fans out there:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase16.shtml

Written By: skittlesking on 05/12/07 at 3:43 pm

I was going to parody "Travel to Romantis", but alas I haven't even had time to look at it

Watch your food, cause here comes

Red Ant Surprise
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase8.shtml

The Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=633166&songID=4954828

The YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy33htzQ0fg

Written By: EthanM on 05/12/07 at 7:14 pm

Argh...too few lyrics

I'm not sure if I'll be able to write something that I can be remortely proud of with such short and repetitive songs

I had an idea but it's not looking good

Written By: Max Power on 05/13/07 at 7:19 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase17.shtml

Written By: Max Power on 05/15/07 at 5:07 pm

Any more entries?

Written By: EthanM on 05/15/07 at 5:43 pm

I hope to write one tonight.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/16/07 at 12:06 am

What's the official deadline for entries on this one? I have one for "The Sign" but it's still presently unfinished.

Written By: EthanM on 05/16/07 at 9:11 am

My last minute entry:

http://amiright.com/parody/90s/aceofbase19.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/16/07 at 9:29 am

What's the official deadline for entries on this one? I have one for "The Sign" but it's still presently unfinished.

I think tomorrow, May 17. If you submit it sometime today, it will more than likely be published by tomorrow morning.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/16/07 at 11:33 pm

I'm still not finished. I'm gonna have to pass on this one. :(

Written By: skittlesking on 05/17/07 at 2:54 am

I'm still not finished. I'm gonna have to pass on this one. :(

Remember Mikey, the rounds on here have passive deadlines for entry. . .that means if you enter before the first person votes, you can STILL be in this round.  The other thing is, you can still earn 3 points towards your overall standing if you vote even if you are unable to enter this round.  That goes for everyone else who was hopping to make this one also . . .

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/17/07 at 8:10 am

Remember Mikey, the rounds on here have passive deadlines for entry. . .that means if you enter before the first person votes, you can STILL be in this round.  The other thing is, you can still earn 3 points towards your overall standing if you vote even if you are unable to enter this round.  That goes for everyone else who was hopping to make this one also . . .

Go Mikey, GO!!! 8)  (I for one won't be doing any voting until probably Monday...)

Check for new replies or respond here...