inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: April SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: skittlesking on 05/08/07 at 7:36 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

This is my 2nd month as host. . .thank you for continuing to allow me to host the prestigeous contest.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a timestamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

1. Spring is Here to Remember by Raphaella So

2. Batman Brought Hell by Matthias

3. What Kind of Parodist Are You? by Max Power
      You Tube

4. Sanjaya by Jack Wilson

5. Makin' Love in the Men's Bathroom Stall by Mikey Squirrel

6. Let's Flame (The Green 'Enchilada' Song)by Johnny D

7. I'm Not Furry, But I'm a Fur by wannabemustangjockey

8. More Relations? No! by Cat

9. Raising the Bar by Ethan M
    You Tube Video

10. The Retired Trencherman (expanded) by Agimorefee
     Original Song (near bottom of page)

11. Go and See Your Local Dentist by Jason

12. Gyps, Insurance Theives by Michael McVey

13. Prequel to Stan (When he Believed in Santa) by Stu McArthur

14. Eat My Feces by Poomaster

15. Foul Mouthed Me by Red Ant
      YouTube Original

16. This Is The Diet That Carries My Name by Peter Anderson a.k.a. K1chyd
      Original Song (DKTOS??)

17. I'll Drink the Slim Fast by Below Average Dave
     YouTube
     Dave's Recording

18. Black and Blue Eyes by The Conqueror of Parodies
     You Tube

19. 2003 (The Iraq Invasion) by McKludge
      You Tube (Part 1)
      You Tube (Part 2)
      You Tube (Part 3)

20. Addicted to Jerks by Kristof Robertson

***Note: Recordings are coming on Number 2: Batman Brought Hell by Matthias and Number 20: Addicted to Jerks by Kristof Robertson, those recordings could help understand the angle of the original artist, and if interested in hearing those you may wish to wait to vote until mid-month***

***This is the LARGEST SOTM I've been part of (I know-useless information) and the largest of 2007 (if I recall correctly), but far from the largest to date I'm sure***

Subject: Re: April SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Matthias on 05/08/07 at 8:30 pm

You didn't say who did, "Let's Flame". We all know it's Johnny D, but I think you should say so.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/08/07 at 8:38 pm

You didn't say who did, "Let's Flame". We all know it's Johnny D, but I think you should say so.

Yeah Yeah Mr. Paranoid, I got it I got it, his name was in the /url tag somehow. . .it said /johnnyd I don't know how I managed that one.

Written By: McKludge on 05/09/07 at 9:53 pm

Just to clarify, when you say "~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote." does that mean a first-time entrant into SOTM can't vote?  One could say I have not yet participated, I am just now participating.  Or am I overthinking this?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/09/07 at 10:34 pm

Just to clarify, when you say "~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote." does that mean a first-time entrant into SOTM can't vote?  One could say I have not yet participated, I am just now participating.  Or am I overthinking this?

Aaah, but McKludge, it says 'may vote' it does not say anyone can't vote;)

Also this rule covers you. . .

"~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote."

Written By: EthanM on 05/10/07 at 9:30 am

Here's the video for my original song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E08VtCNj23E

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/07 at 10:50 am

Here we go...
5pts=Cat (taking on any challenge like it was nothing...golly, girl, where do you find the time and inspiration!?)
4pts=McKludge (for the huevos to tackle both a difficult topic AND a 20-minute song with panache. Like Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, this may be read by few but honored by many)
3pts=Red Ant (an Eminem parody that evokes memories of Luke Brattoni, whatever happened to him? :-\\)
2pts=Stu
1pts=Ethan

Written By: Jack Wilson on 05/10/07 at 10:53 am

4pts=(for the huevos to tackle both a difficult topic AND a 20-minute song with panache. Like James Joyce's Ulysses, this may be read by few but honored by many)

Which one;s this?

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/07 at 10:55 am

Which one;s this?

Ah crap, duly corrected above.

Written By: cutie_girl on 05/10/07 at 3:04 pm

1st choice- 5 points: Max Power
2nd place- 4 points: McKludge4
3rd place- 3 points: Johnny D
4th place- 2 points: Poomaster
5th place- 1 point: Cat

ah!!! no one is voting for me... *sad*

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/07 at 3:52 pm

1. Do not despair yet, there's only been 2 vote posts here (including yours). Keep in mind, though, that most folks in this contest vote higher on Humor before Creativity.
2. According to the rules, you need to place a comment in each of the contestant's parody pages (simply
"I have read it" will do). You have not done that yet, please do so.
3. After giving all benefits of the doubt, who are you?  ??? Raphaella?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/10/07 at 7:32 pm

Well, I'm going to chaulk this up to first time jitters, please leave comments on the parodies. . .looking through I couldn't find comments on most of them.  Afterthat, is normally when you should vote. . .by leaving comments you have verifyied that you have read the entries, and therefore are keeping in mind the options for the best parodies in the contest.  i'm not sure what normally is done about this as there is a rule that says you cannot change your vote, but there is another one that says you must comment on all parodies and then vote. . .so what I will do is ask you to read the parodies, and then ask that you post one post either A) confirming that what you said is what you want, which is fine as long as you comment on the parodies, or B) If you feel you may have rushed your vote without reading the other parodies, please let me know and I will post a quick question to everyone in the contest about how they feel about allowing you to post again. . .In all honesty, you should stick with your current vote since you already posted it. . .but please go back and read/comment on all parodies and then next month please be sure to read the parodies first and comment before voting.

Written By: Max Power on 05/10/07 at 8:31 pm

1. Do not despair yet, there's only been 2 vote posts here (including yours). Keep in mind, though, that most folks in this contest vote higher on Humor before Creativity.

You got that right, my " Living In Antartica lll " was my best work to date and yet it receives less votes than that pigeon song I wrote,lol.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/10/07 at 8:43 pm

i'm not sure what normally is done about this as there is a rule that says you cannot change your vote, but there is another one that says you must comment on all parodies and then vote. . .

that is a tricky one - I recall it did happen once before where someone didn't see the bottom 6 entries and voted, then realised and commented on the last 6 to avoid disqualification but without changing the votes (as per the rule) - which was a bit unfair on the bottom 6 entries

The obvious, but extremely harsh, answer is for the voter to be disqualified if the votes come in before a comment occurs on every entry - this would require someone to make that call to Dave or Matthias though

the lighter option would be for someone to make the call, but instead of disqualification, the post with the illegal votes would be simply deleted.

any other ideas, anyone?

Written By: EthanM on 05/10/07 at 8:57 pm

Here we go...
5pts=Cat (taking on any challenge like it was nothing...golly, girl, where do you find the time and inspiration!?)
4pts=McKludge (for the huevos to tackle both a difficult topic AND a 20-minute song with panache. Like Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, this may be read by few but honored by many)
3pts=Red Ant (an Eminem parody that evokes memories of Luke Brattoni, whatever happened to him? :-\\)
2pts=Stu
1pts=Ethan

Luke's nib oswald thread is still active over in the song lyrics section...I think his creative efforts are channeled over there.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/07 at 9:00 pm

I just got done PMing Dave with my thoughts, but since this is an open thing now.

Reading the rules as literally and as strictly as possible, commenting before voting is not a requirement.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

It doesn't say "~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and then vote."

There are a very very few exceptions to changing votes, and this instance, IMHO, doesn't qualify as one of those exceptions. FTR, the only two valid ones I've found in three years of SOTY are if the person posting the voting thread leaves out an entrant and people vote before that error is realized, then they maye cast an additional vote (anywhere from 1-5 points) for that entry if they think it would have made their list. Votes already cast are not changed. The other is if a voter votes for a parody not in the contest, then that one position may be changed - I'm inclined though at this point to count that vote as a null vote to eliminate any loopholes of this rule:

Voting, then commenting has happened at least twice in the past (late '05 rounds IIRC). Provided both happen, a person should not be DQed under current rules.

Beside the fact that the "no changing votes" rule is 99.99% concrete, it's not fair to those who have been awarded points to have those points yanked away should someone re-vote diffrently than they originally did.

I'll be happy with comments from cutie_girl on all the entries, not just my own.

My suggestion for next month's SOTM is to suggest a rewrite of the rules requiring full commenting before voting. As the rules stand now, and to not change them midstream, there's not much that can be done really.

Provided cutie_girl comments on all entries before the end of the month, I don't think she should be DQed nor have to re-vote. In the event of a DQ for any reason though, votes cast by that person are not counted, nor are any votes they may receive.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/10/07 at 9:13 pm

I just got done PMing Dave with my thoughts, but since this is an open thing now.

Reading the rules as literally and as strictly as possible, commenting before voting is not a requirement.

It doesn't say "~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and then vote."

There are a very very few exceptions to changing votes, and this instance, IMHO, doesn't qualify as one of those exceptions. FTR, the only two valid ones I've found in three years of SOTY are if the person posting the voting thread leaves out an entrant and people vote before that error is realized, then they maye cast an additional vote (anywhere from 1-5 points) for that entry if they think it would have made their list. Votes already cast are not changed. The other is if a voter votes for a parody not in the contest, then that one position may be changed - I'm inclined though at this point to count that vote as a null vote to eliminate any loopholes of this rule:

Voting, then commenting has happened at least twice in the past (late '05 rounds IIRC). Provided both happen, a person should not be DQed under current rules.

Beside the fact that the "no changing votes" rule is 99.99% concrete, it's not fair to those who have been awarded points to have those points yanked away should someone re-vote diffrently than they originally did.

I'll be happy with comments from cutie_girl on all the entries, not just my own.

My suggestion for next month's SOTM is to suggest a rewrite of the rules requiring full commenting before voting. As the rules stand now, and to not change them midstream, there's not much that can be done really.

Provided cutie_girl comments on all entries before the end of the month, I don't think she should be DQed nor have to re-vote. In the event of a DQ for any reason though, votes cast by that person are not counted, nor are any votes they may receive.

Yep, that's pretty much what I said in my vote, that she should comment on the parodies now and leave her vote alone, and next month make sure to vote after commenting, and I will take it upon myself to suggest that rule change next month, Matthias and I took over at quite an interesting time, two months in a row an interesting scenario. . .wow. . .Okay. . .now to read that pm.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/11/07 at 12:33 am

I agree with all of that, Jack - and I'll be voting for that rule change next month

Matthias and I took over at quite an interesting time, two months in a row an interesting scenario

you sure did - very unlucky - should be smooth sailing from now though ::)

Written By: Max Power on 05/11/07 at 7:16 am

I remember how I once got away with voting without commenting.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/11/07 at 8:03 am

I see no need to DQ someone for not commenting before voting. We do have a 2-week window, after all, and cutie-girl has plenty of time to do it, as long as she/he doesn't change her initial vote, which we all can see right now .

Written By: K1chyd on 05/11/07 at 12:31 pm

Just one thing, do you now know that Cutie-Girl is a valid voter at all? Have that been settled in private PMs? I see no parody from her in this round (and can't remember any in previous rounds). Considering that we also have an entry from the unknown alias poomaster in this round there might be another issue here about anonymous voting (and technically double voting by signing up anonymous with crap just to get an extra vote) that might need adressing. Maybe a rule about no anonymity in SOTM?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/11/07 at 12:46 pm

Just one thing, do you now know that Cutie-Girl is a valid voter at all? Have that been settled in private PMs? I see no parody from her in this round (and can't remember any in previous rounds). Considering that we also have an entry from the unknown alias poomaster in this round there might be another issue here about anonymous voting (and technically double voting by signing up anonymous with crap just to get an extra vote) that might need adressing. Maybe a rule about no anonymity in SOTM?

She is the first entry, her username is cutie_girl, but her parody name is Raphaella

Written By: Red Ant on 05/11/07 at 12:52 pm

...issue here about anonymous voting (and technically double voting by signing up anonymous with crap just to get an extra vote) that might need adressing...

There's no issue, Peter. Anyone pathetic enough to double vote in that fashion obviously needs all the help they can get. Even if someone did do that, it's not like there aren't ways of detecting and exposing that type of cheating rather quickly, and I'd do so in the most painful, embarrassing and public way possible to that person as well as recommend they be perma-banned from SOTM.

Written By: McKludge on 05/11/07 at 12:57 pm

Votes from McKludge

1st choice- 5 points: Ethan M Raising the Bar    each line a non-sequitur
2nd place- 4 points: Mikey Squirrel Making Love in the Mens Bathroom Stall    Sometimes, ya gotta do who ya gotta do
3rd place- 3 points: Kristof Robertson Addicted to Jerks    Hit's a bit too close to home
4th place- 2 points: Cat More Relations? No!    Herculean effort deserves recognition
5th place- 1 point: Red Ant Foul Mouthed Me    You lousy corksocker.  You somanabatchin icehole.  This is fargin parody war! :-)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087507/quotes

Some tough choices out there, many excellent submissions, it's hard to rank them.  I can see why even the best don't submit each month.  Reviewing all the entries takes a lot of time.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/11/07 at 1:26 pm

Anyone pathetic enough to double vote in that fashion obviously needs all the help they can get. Even if someone did do that, it's not like there aren't ways of detecting and exposing that type of cheating rather quickly, and I'd do so in the most painful, embarrassing and public way possible to that person as well as recommend they be perma-banned from SOTM.

I'll take that as if you're both/all on top of things without my help! 8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/11/07 at 6:09 pm

She is the first entry, her username is cutie_girl, but her parody name is Raphaella

Thank you for clearing that up! 8)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 05/11/07 at 6:44 pm

You lousy corksocker.  You somanabatchin icehole.  This is fargin parody war! :-) 
You forgot "You bastige"  ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/11/07 at 6:54 pm

I see no need to DQ someone for not commenting before voting. We do have a 2-week window, after all, and cutie-girl has plenty of time to do it, as long as she/he doesn't change her initial vote, which we all can see right now .

Then I don't understand the reason for the compulsory-commenting rule.

What problem is it trying to circumvent?

I thought it was to ensure evryone had read all entries before voting. 

If not, it's a pointless rule.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/11/07 at 7:10 pm

Deffinitely going to be a rule showdown next month, I personally want it to be COMMENT before VOTING, as Stu pointed out---the point is to ensure all entries have been read before voting. . .if not it's unfair to all the other entrants who weren't even given consideration for the vote.  In theory, if say 15 of the 20 entrants were to do that, and vote without commenting, many people may not have even read the winning song. . .that means we could legitimately have a winner who won that does not even fit the OS because it was chosen before being read based on the title alone.  Personal opinion. . .commenting before voting is very important. . .so I will be suggesting this rule change, barring someone beating me to it as it seems to be a heated issue (I don't think I've seen an SOTM go this far into page count with just three votes cast) for a lot of people.

Written By: EthanM on 05/11/07 at 8:05 pm

I second that

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/14/07 at 9:01 am

I am not saying no one shouldn't Vote without Comments. But if a newbie such as Raphaella/Cutie Girl makes a mistake in not commenting before voting, it really could not make a difference in her resulting vote. It was my understanding that Commenting in our contests was no more than a mark of proof that all parodies were read by a competitor. Whether or not a competitor actually DOES READ the parody, with quality time and without bias (instead of merely marking the entry), that is something we cannot control.

And again, it's not like we have reached the deadline for this contest's commenting/voting. I say Raphaella can go in, add a simple Comment to the entries, and be done with it.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/14/07 at 5:09 pm

I am not saying no one shouldn't Vote without Comments. But if a newbie such as Raphaella/Cutie Girl makes a mistake in not commenting before voting, it really could not make a difference in her resulting vote. It was my understanding that Commenting in our contests was no more than a mark of proof that all parodies were read by a competitor. Whether or not a competitor actually DOES READ the parody, with quality time and without bias (instead of merely marking the entry), that is something we cannot control.

And again, it's not like we have reached the deadline for this contest's commenting/voting. I say Raphaella can go in, add a simple Comment to the entries, and be done with it.

gee Ag, it's not often that I totally disagree (usually I can sympathise with the other side at least) but this is one time :-\\

We seem to differ on our understanding of the purpose of the rule.

You're saying that compulsory commenting is there to make sure everyone reads each parody.

I say it's there for integrity-of-voting purposes - so that votes can be made fairly, with full knowledge of all the entries, so an informed decision is made, and so that every parody has had an equal chance of being chosen.

Because if it's just to ensure a parody is read, we may as well say "commenting is compulsory before the end of the year."  If as you say, it's legitimate to vote for just the 5 parodies you may have read (say if you're in a hurry) then the enforeced reading and commenting afterwards is only being done to avoid disqualification (and disqualification at the hands of a rule that's not necessary as it turns out) - so the whole exercise is meaningless and circular anyway.

Also, those hypothetical 5 parodies are more likely to have been written by established authors, as usually their parodies get more regularly read, so newbies are at a disadvantage.

Worse still, you could vote for 5 parodies without having read ANY of them, in which case the votes are being made for people they like, rather than parody quality ( a point made by Dave earlier).  This is a dangerous option anyway with newbies - it's not something that should be assisted

IMO it's quite critical to the integrity of the SOTM comp concept that the wording should be changed to "comments must be made on all parodies before voting or else you will be disqualified" - and that is a simple enough change to make

*steps down from soapbox*

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/14/07 at 5:19 pm

All points are well taken, Stu.

Still, there is no way you can gurantee that people are reading each entrant with the equal time and lack of bias that one would hope for, whether they add Comments first or not. With that in mind, I saw no need to add a disqualification for newbies who may or may not have sincerely made a mistake.

I will vote "nay" when the official vote comes up, but if the rule does get added it won't change my feelings for SOTM. No hard feelings, Stu.  8)

Rafaella/Cutie Pie needs to chime in with her side of the story, either by PMing Dave or posting here. But I do agree that she CANNOT change her vote either.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/14/07 at 5:31 pm

All points are well taken, Stu.

Still, there is no way you can gurantee that people are reading each entrant with the equal time and lack of bias that one would hope for, whether they add Comments first or not. With that in mind, I saw no need to add a disqualification for newbies who may or may not have sincerely made a mistake.

I will vote "nay" when the official vote comes up, but if the rule does get added it won't change my feelings for SOTM. No hard feelings, Stu.  8)

Rafaella/Cutie Pie needs to chime in with her side of the story, either by PMing Dave or posting here. But I do agree that she CANNOT change her vote either.

ah, here we agree, Ag! :D

I totally agree that Rafaella should not be disqualified - every newbie should be immune from disqualification on their first SOTM imo, because they're bound to not read all the rules - I don't think I did either.  I'm just saying let's put the rule there to not-be-read, so that we can then point it out to them later ;)

also, my stance is no sledge against poomaster who may thoroughly deserve Rafaella's accolade as the 4th best parody submitted to amiright in April - good luck to him - oh, and yes I'm totally shocked! and horrified! and outraged! and upset! and everything by your work poomaster if you're reading this :)

as for no hard feelings - as if I could ever have hard feelings for one of my transpacific word-loving buddies - especially you Ag 8)

(hmm, still a few emoticons I didn't manage to use there - no offence fellers :-*)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/14/07 at 6:23 pm

Well, I think we should adopt a Eurovision-style voting system, where no one is allowed to vote for anyone from their home country (unless, of course, they're Australian)....and comments must be faxed to an independent adjudicator in Djibouti for verification no later than two days before the competition starts, or a week before the parody is actually written (whichever comes first)....

Sorry, I was being unnecessarily frivolous. I agree most with Stu, but totally see agri's point. I'll be voting yay should a referendum appear.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 05/14/07 at 6:33 pm

I think my position on commenting is a combination of the various points that have been put forth already: to me, comments represent not only proof that a parody has been read, but also that the person has thought about it enough to say something regarding it. I especially value comments that say something about the song itself (i.e. "I liked/didn't like _____ about _______") rather than "SOTM - OK" or whatever. That's not meant as a slam against those who do the latter; because it still represents proof that the person at least opened the page and hopefully read the parody.

As for protecting newbies, I don't want to discourage anyone from entering SOTM. I remember the first SOTM I tried to enter (August 2005), and as a newbie I didn't correctly interpret the rules and was disqualified for that month because my song was submitted within the first week of August. It can be discouraging to a new contestant who is kicked out in their first SOTM, so I see where you're coming from about immunity for newbies who don't read the rules. (No, I'm not holding a grudge about my own DQs due to late submissions; everyone should read, understand, and obey the rules).

I really do think that all contestants SHOULD read and think about all of the parodies before voting. Otherwise it's like putting politicians in office without researching them first (oh wait, that happens already). We have no way of really knowing whether a person has actually read a song unless they leave a useful comment.

I say:
- Read the rules. Take more than 5 seconds to do so.
- Read every parody.
- Leave a real comment on every parody.
- Make sure you've commented on every parody.
- Think it through before voting.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/14/07 at 8:05 pm

- And only THEN give poomaster his 2 points ;)

Written By: skittlesking on 05/14/07 at 8:31 pm

- And only THEN give poomaster his 2 points ;)

Deffinitely a rule change proposal to be made on all these points. . .I personally have more than stated my position which aligns pretty much 100% with Stu, and I agree with all of wannabemustangjockey. . .and Kristof, tisk tisk :)  Anyhow. . .It will be posted in next month's competition certainly, and I have a couple others to be considered, but I will hold them for that comp too.  I have to admit, the first month I entered was almost my last, had it not been for the sub-comps (Particularly Gross Out-Deux where I placed) I probably wouldn't have.  I look back now, Every Call I Make wasn't deserving of a top 3, but getting a zero my first month with about half of the comments being one word, I did feel just a bit overlooked and didn't want to enter.  Thanks to Stu, Red Ant, Mustang, Matthias, Conq and a few others, I stayed around and gave it another go. . .I do think a lot of voting is done on writers, and that will always happen, but the comment rule will at least show that it is the purpose of the contest, and I do think that most voters do take all parodies into consideration.  We all have certain styles we like better than others, but the goal is to make it as fun and participative as possible for all entrants so that anyone from the mighty monthly winners to the first time newbies (like me, Chris Frederick, Yoidy and several other recent newbies) all feel we are welcome to enter.  I think a rule defining comment first, then vote in the manner Stu McArthur suggested is not only a good idea, but a necessary one for the integrity of the contest.  We all know that some will vote without giving a fair chance to parodies by certain parodists--that happens in all voting to some extent. . .but I also think that most people have the true goal of ranking the best parodies as the best parodies at heart.  Most people here that I've seen rarely pick the same winner each month. . .and that's a good thing--this rule can only help not hinder the process-I see no negative consequences of such a rule or an immunity rule allowing forgiveness or lenancy towards newbies who may have overlooked a rule.

Written By: McKludge on 05/14/07 at 9:45 pm

As a first time entrant, I'm not sure how much my thoughts matter.  But I do think it seems fairer to read all parodies before voting.  You'll never be able to enforce the reading part, but you can enforce the commenting before voting part.  That at least implies he went to that page. 

As a newbie to SOTM, I can attest to it being a little intimidating.  There are many authors whose daily submissions are always good if not excellent, and Spaff's skills are downright frightening.  I never would have done it if not for encouragement a regular (thanks Phil!).  And I can't help but notice that despite there being a clear group of regulars and "submitters of high quantity" on this site, there really appears to be no sense of elitism I've seen on other web sites.  I've always refrained from regular logging-on to forums like this because you often end up with a small group of continuous posters who flood the bandwidth with their out-of-proportion sense of importance.  I don't see that here, and I'm glad for it.  Now if we only could get rid of the "Vote 1 and done" posters who go strictly by political viewpoint.

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/14/07 at 10:24 pm

Spaff's skills are downright frightening. 

As are his glutes.

Thanx, McKludge. It's always nice to drop by the message board and find that someone has been stroking my ego. And/or my glutes.

I don't know if my opinion still counts since I haven't been in a SOTM since, like, the Carter Administration, but here it is anyway: While I'm never a fan of adding new rules to anything, I think this is a good one. If you wanna participate, you should read, then comment, then vote.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Max Power on 05/16/07 at 8:22 am

5 pts - Stu's story about a boy who once believes in Santa Claus

4 pts - Gay Squirrel in a bathroom stall full of gay men

3 pts - Kris jerking off

2 pts - Cat's sleeping with people for money

1 pts - Ethan's monkey bar

Honorable mentions: COP's black and blue, Ant's foul language which results Jon S. unfairly vote 1s on it, So's chick flick, and McKludge's 20 minute epic marred by idiots mass voting 1s on it.

Written By: McKludge on 05/17/07 at 7:28 am

... stroking my ego. And/or my glutes.

shhhhh, I told you to keep that on the DL, Spaff  ;)  I've got an image to uphold ...

Written By: cutie_girl on 05/19/07 at 11:46 am

k i commented

Written By: EthanM on 05/19/07 at 12:25 pm

Sure about that?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/20/07 at 1:03 am

k i commented

Raphaella So, a.k.a. cutie_girl, I hate to be patronizing here, but you do you know how to read, yes? After all, you wrote a parody (obviously you're literate, intelligent and creative), and even posted the April SOTM entry thread (which shows initiative and enthusiasm)... yet you've missed this:

I know you're young, but I don't see how anyone can interpret this to mean "comment only on the entries for which voted (days after the fact)".

The main purpose of this contest is feedback, something that you've failed to provide 14 entries other than yours (commenting on your own entry is not required). I'm really not trying to be a peen here, but by bypassing those 14 entries, for a second time now, you rob yourself of improving as a parodist, missed some great word play and laughs, and disservice those who will give you honest feedback so that you might improve upon your craft, should you choose writing parodies as a hobby.

This is a friendly competition, and though I may come off as anything but friendly at the moment, it's also an honest competition, and I'm giving my honest thoughts on this right now.

Written By: Matthias on 05/20/07 at 6:55 pm

5 Points To: Peter Anderson a.k.a. K1chyd with his Surreal Diet
4 Points To: Stuart McArthur with his letter to Santa
3 Points To: Agrimorfee with his Overeating Sideshow
2 Points To: Red Ant (Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?)
1 Point To: Mikey Squirrel with his kinky bathroom session

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/21/07 at 8:31 am

Raphaella So, a.k.a. cutie_girl, I hate to be patronizing here, but you do you know how to read, yes? After all, you wrote a parody (obviously you're literate, intelligent and creative), and even posted the April SOTM entry thread (which shows initiative and enthusiasm)... yet you've missed this:

I know you're young, but I don't see how anyone can interpret this to mean "comment only on the entries for which voted (days after the fact)".

Come on Cutie Girl, I went to bat for you on this issue.  :-\\
When you come to play, you gotta play by the house rules.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/21/07 at 11:51 am

k i commented

I didn't see a comment on mine. And on alot of others.
I did, however see Poomaster's comments and every single one was nothing but a long, overdone poo joke.
But, hey, at least he commented.

Votes coming soon..

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/24/07 at 5:58 am

Oh crud...this is officially the hardest SOTM I have ever had to vote on! Here goes...

1 point to Raphaella So
2 points to Kristof
3 points to Cat
4 points to Stu
5 points to Red Ant

Raphaella...don't go crazy cuz I voted for you. I really think you deserve it!

I don't mind if I don't get too many points this month. I didn't have a lot to choose from this month anyway. But next time around...I''ll have FIVE to choose from, maybe even 6 depending how fast I get this next one done.

Written By: cutie_girl on 05/26/07 at 8:12 pm

sheesh when u are new to something u wont, obviously, get it right the first time. but thx for ur comment on that. at least i noe to improve. but u cud have said it nicely

Written By: K1chyd on 05/27/07 at 2:40 am

As for the debate here this month I remember having this idea about two years ago that a newbie slash first time entrant in SOTM should be sent a personal mail describing in more detail the fine art of participating in this contest. I even made a rough draft (which in my usual way was way too overworked anyway). :-)

Still think that's a good idea though, but something real short could probably do the trick just as well by simply inviting to a communication about the whole thing; "Welcome to your first SOTM, I'm the voting thread moderator this time and I'll gladly answer your questions if there's anything you consider unclear about the rules. Signed XXX"

As for my own voting this month it goes like this:

1 Point: "Foul Mouthed Me"

2 Points: "Prequel to Stan...(back when he believed in Santa)"

3 Points: "Addicted To Jerks"

4 Points: "Let's Flame (The Green 'Enchilada' Song)"

5 Points: "Makin' Love (In The Men's Bathroom Stall)"

Written By: Max Power on 05/27/07 at 9:23 am

sheesh when u are new to something u wont, obviously, get it right the first time. but thx for ur comment on that. at least i noe to improve. but u cud have said it nicely

All you have to do is comment on every parody entered, including the ones you didn't vote for so they would know you've read it, you don't have to put in long sentence though.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/27/07 at 10:21 pm

5 points................Batman Brought Hell      Matthias
4 points................Addicted to Jerks          Kristof Robertson
3 points................More Relations? No!      Cat
2 points................Foul Mouthed Me          Red Ant
1 point.................Sanjaya                        Jack Wilson

Written By: Matthias on 05/28/07 at 12:29 am

5 points................Batman Brought Hell      Matthias
4 points................Addicted to Jerks          Kristof Robertson
3 points................More Relations? No!       Cat
2 points................Foul Mouthed Me          Red Ant
1 point.................Sanjaya                        Jack Wilson

Thanks Stuart!

Written By: Jason on 05/28/07 at 4:57 pm

Very good selection of songs! Unfortunatly I can only vote for 5 of them!

5 points: Prequel to Stan (When he Believed in Santa) by Stu McArthur
4 points: Foul Mouthed Me by Red Ant
3 points: Addicted to Jerks by Kristof Robertson
2 points: Batman Brought Hell by Matthias
1 point : Makin' Love in the Men's Bathroom Stall by Mikey Squirrel

Good luck to all of you!

Jason.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/29/07 at 2:12 am

Well, we're almost done. A couple days left to go. I don't really mind about the lack of votes, I didn't expect to win. I didn't have much to choose from.

But NEXT month...I've got friggin' 6! How in the heck am I gonna choose between them? And I'm tryin' to have another out before the end of the month! Phew!

Written By: meow78223 on 05/29/07 at 11:19 am

5 points..........."Addicted to Jerks" by Kristof Robertson
4 points..........."More Relations? No!" by Cat
3 points..........."2003 (The Iraq Invasion)" by McKludge
2 points..........."Batman Brought Hell" by Matthias
1 point............"Makin' Love in the Men's Bathroom Stall" by Mikey Squirrel

MM

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/30/07 at 2:27 pm

5 points for #10. The Retired Trencherman (expanded) by Agimorefee
4 points for #8. More Relations? No! by Cat
3 points for #13. Prequel to Stan (When he Believed in Santa) by Stu McArthur
2 points for #5. Makin' Love in the Men's Bathroom Stall by Mikey Squirrel
1 point for #20. Addicted to Jerks by Kristof Robertson

Written By: skittlesking on 05/30/07 at 3:44 pm

Finally Voting. . .

First, 4 Honorable Mentions
--Johnny D, Mikey Squirrel, Kristof Robertson, and McKludge. . .
Johnny D, was my 6th choice, Mikey 7th. . .Kristof 8th, all three were hilarious, but these others were hilarious, epic, and just hard to even consider not placing top 5. . .any more like these I would have been screwed.
To McKludge, I think as soon as I can get SOTM more in Matthias' hands (after Ages) I may start hosting random parodies with purpose contests if no one else does, your song is an amazing write, but it's hard for me to compare it to the others because it is far deeper and the topic you choose is so important, while the others are trying to be funny, but I had to let you know, that if not for the 'funny' category, you would have been Number 1. . .not just in the top 5

Ok, now the 5 that get points from me. . .

5th, 1 Point goes to Ethan Mawyer. . .Raising the Bar.
  I'm actually a little surprised I haven't seen many vote for this one.  It's a bit random, but in a great way, and the pacing is impectable, it's also hilarious.

4th, 2 Points go to Cat. . .More Relations? No!
  While I've read quite a few broken up/anti-relationship songs of late, none were quite as funny or epic as this one.  This one (actually like all 8) probably would have ranked higher if not for the magnitude of everyone's entries this month.

3rd, 3 Points go to Red Ant. . .Foul Mouth me
  I swear it has nothing to do with his recording, although I loved listening to him rap.  It's a bold statement, countering a sometimes kids minded audience that is afraid and even downgrades people speaking their mind or doing what they want to do with their music.  The few younger people who use this site, IMHO, are old enough to have heard worse--I have not heard those few complain, so I don't see the big deal.

2nd, 4 Points go to Matthias. . .Batman Brought Hell
  And it would have been 1st in my book for ANY of the other month's I've been in this competition.  Having done this song last month, I know how difficult Bat Out of Hell is to do.  It amazes me that a song with so many gag lines, and so much work could not be vying for a top spot.

1st, 5 Points go to Stu McArthur. . .Prequel to Stan
  Stuart, this is far and away my favorite parody to date, not just by you, but by anyone on AmIRight or Soundclick.  That's point, blank, period.  I'm a little puzzled by the date of release, but none-the-less- If I were to request any song be recorded by you at this point--it'd be this one.  I thought the use of the original song in your own writing was absolutely Brilliant.  I realize, that you are probably not going to know what to say to such a long comment on a vote, but I applaud your efforts in this song, I think it was absolutely fantastic.

Written By: Max Power on 05/30/07 at 3:47 pm

Where's poomaster?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/30/07 at 4:17 pm

Where's poomaster?

He is one of 8 people who haven't voted yet. . .and you wanna know something crazy, that includes 4 of the current 5 front runners.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/30/07 at 7:28 pm

1st, 5 Points go to Stu McArthur. . .Prequel to Stan
  Stuart, this is far and away my favorite parody to date, not just by you, but by anyone on AmIRight or Soundclick.  That's point, blank, period.  I'm a little puzzled by the date of release, but none-the-less- If I were to request any song be recorded by you at this point--it'd be this one.  I thought the use of the original song in your own writing was absolutely Brilliant.  I realize, that you are probably not going to know what to say to such a long comment on a vote, but I applaud your efforts in this song, I think it was absolutely fantastic.

wow, to say I'm flattered is an understatement Dave, but re the date of release, I agree it would have been better if I'd waited until Christmas, but I wrote it because Matthias challenged me to do an eminem song, and in the spirit of Cat's Challenge thread, I wanted to deliver as soon as possible after the challenge

and I'm rapt that you liked it so much mate :) - the pacing/rhyming was a nightmare :\'(

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/30/07 at 9:18 pm

First off, I wanna say this was a very competitive month and really hard to decide my votes. Maybe I picked the wrong month to enter one of my best parodies, considering the competition. Looks like 'epic' long parodies are the popular choices, so I guess I'll have to write my epic soon!
Anyways here's my votes...
5pts- Batman Brought Hell by Matthias
4pts- Let's Flame (The Green 'Enchilada' Song)by Johnny D
3pts- Raising the Bar by Ethan M
2pts- More Relations? No! by Cat
1 pt- Prequel to Stan (When he Believed in Santa) by Stu McArthur

Good month, everyone! Thanks to all who voted for me! ;D

Written By: Cat on 05/30/07 at 9:35 pm

Sorry I'm close to the deadline, guys...I was busy this month! But this was fantastic.

5 Points to Red Ant
4 Points to Stu McArthur
3 Points to Mikey Squirrel
2 Points to Ethan Mawyer
1 Point to Agrimorfee

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/30/07 at 10:37 pm

Aww isn't that cute, Squirrels and Cats voting for each other. It's nice to see furry little friends get along! ;D

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 05/31/07 at 1:12 am

5 pts to Cat
4 pts to Stu
3 pts to Red Ant
2 pts to Kristof
1 pt to McKludge

Written By: Cat on 05/31/07 at 9:30 am

Aww isn't that cute, Squirrels and Cats voting for each other. It's nice to see furry little friends get along! ;D

Thanks! But regarding my earlier comment, I had somehow gotten it into my mind that May had 30 days.

Junior year really screws with your mind... :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/31/07 at 9:35 am

5 points for #10. The Retired Trencherman (expanded) by Agimorefee

Tanks...uh, THANKS! Have some instant karma. 8)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/31/07 at 9:52 am

I remember reading a helluva lot of parodies this month where I thought "wow! if he/she enters this in SOTM, it'll get my vote!"....now I've caught up on the ones I missed first time around, and had the same thoughts. Bugger!!!
April was obviously a month for epics, and the spring weather (or autumn mists for the downunderers) has sparked a creativity overload. More "this should get a vote, but I've only got 5" moments than I've had in a long time...rather than trying to intellectualise my decisions, I just plumped for the ones that made me laugh the most.

5 pts: Mikey S's bathroom exploit. The overblown nature of the OS combined with Mikey's naughtiness...WINNER!
4 pts: Eminemcarthur's Santa rap...is there no genre you can't pull off, Stu?
3 pts: Johnny's net-nerd ode. I resemble that parody!
2 pts: Miss Cat's familial farce.... just great writing, period
1 pt: Agri's buffet bonanza....gluttony's never been so much fun!

And highly commended to just about everyone else! Great work!!!

p.s. This SOTM also has the distinction for being the first contest I've come across to feature a parody that, IMHO, has no redeeming features whatsoever, other than decent pacing. Take a bow, poomaster!!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 05/31/07 at 12:17 pm

5 pts Stu's Rap
4 pts Mattman
3 pts Kristof's jerk addicition
2 pts Mikey's Air Supply
1 pt Cat's relatives

Written By: Red Ant on 05/31/07 at 4:29 pm

What a great month of entries. Too many on the "shortlist" to get to just 5 in any really fair way: I considered voting by humor, pacing, originality, difficulty, and even song length as means to get down to 5, but still wound up at 7+ every time. So, I went with my first ordering of songs and arrived at the following (if I keep reordering I'm going to miss the deadline and still not get all my picks in...):

5 points to #7 - I'm Not Furry, But I'm a Fur
4 points to #13 - Prequel to Stan
3 points to #9 - Raising the Bar
2 points to #5 - Makin' Love in the Men's Bathroom Stall
1 point to #8 - More Relations? No!

Written By: Max Power on 05/31/07 at 5:41 pm

Poomaster gotta vote fast.

Written By: Max Power on 05/31/07 at 5:55 pm

On pace for two DQs so far.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/31/07 at 6:41 pm

Poomaster gotta vote fast.

Methinks, Max, that Mr P. Master is not going to bother voting... I imagine he's not the slightest bit interested in other writers' works.

Speaking of voters (and I'm probably going to sound like an old stick-in-the-mud here), I've got a bit of an issue with Rafaella's "comments". Although technically she left a comment on each entry, IMHO writing "lol" or "commented" (as she did with just about every parody) doesn't really qualify as thoughtful feedback....it's a bit of a slap in the face to all of us who took time to read and provide feedback/praise to our fellow parodists.

I'd support giving her some leeway this month (as she's a SOTM newbie), but it needs to be made clear to new entrants that some effort must be made in commenting.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/31/07 at 6:56 pm

IMHO writing "lol" or "commented" (as she did with just about every parody) doesn't really qualify as thoughtful feedback....it's a bit of a slap in the face to all of us who took time to read and provide feedback/praise to our fellow parodists.

especially all of us who took time to read and provide feedback to cutie girl herself

...but it needs to be made clear to new entrants that some effort must be made in commenting.

I agree, and I think Peter (K1) came up with a brilliant solution a couple of pages back...

As for the debate here this month I remember having this idea about two years ago that a newbie slash first time entrant in SOTM should be sent a personal mail describing in more detail the fine art of participating in this contest. I even made a rough draft (which in my usual way was way too overworked anyway). :-)

Still think that's a good idea though, but something real short could probably do the trick just as well by simply inviting to a communication about the whole thing; "Welcome to your first SOTM, I'm the voting thread moderator this time and I'll gladly answer your questions if there's anything you consider unclear about the rules. Signed XXX"

If Peter has already started writing it, it would be easy to just PM it to every new entrant, and then they can decide whether they want to continue or not - problem solved imo

as for poo master, he actually voted in the last comp (or was that in the ABCs?) - but I guess there's only so long you can try to shock on bored ears :)

Written By: EthanM on 05/31/07 at 9:20 pm

Time to vote

5 points to Stu
4 points to Johnny D
3 points to Cat
2 points to McKludge
1 point to Kristof

Honorable mentions to Red Ant and and Michael McVey and wannabemustang jockey

Additional kudos to Matthias and k1chyd, and everyone who voted so far has been a worthy contestant with respect to their entry.

Written By: Max Power on 05/31/07 at 9:49 pm

Poomaster might not make it.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/01/07 at 5:03 am

5 Points To: Peter Anderson a.k.a. K1chyd with his Surreal Diet
4 Points To: Stuart McArthur with his letter to Santa
3 Points To: Agrimorfee with his Overeating Sideshow
2 Points To: Red Ant (Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?)
1 Point To: Mikey Squirrel with his kinky bathroom session

Thank you Matthias! This being my only points in this round it means double to me! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...