inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: April SOTM Results

Written By: Matthias on 05/31/07 at 11:23 pm

**********************************************************************************************************************

1st Place: "Prequel To Stan (When he Believed in Santa)" by Stuart McArthur (57 points)

2nd Place: "More Relations? No!" by Cat (40 points)

3rd Place: "Makin' Love In The Men's Bathroom Stall" by Mikey Squirrel (30)

***********************************************************************************************************************

4th Place: Addicted To Jerks" by Kristof Robertson (30 points)
5th Place: "Foul Mothed Me" by Red Ant (29)
6th Place: "Batman Fought Hell" by Matthias (22)
7th Place: "Let's Flame (The Green 'Enchilada' Song)" by Johnny D (18)
8th Place: "Raising The Bar" by Ethan Mawyer (16)
9th Place: "2003 (The Iraqi Invasion)" by McKludge (14)
10th Place: "The Retired Trencherman" by Agrimorfee (10)
11th Place: "What Kind Of Parodist Are You" by Max Power (5)
11th Place: "I'm Not Furry, But I'm A Fur" by Wannabemustangjockey (5)
11th Place: "This Is The Diet That Carries My Name" by Peter Anderson a.k.a K1chyd (5)
15th Place: "Sanjaya" by Jack Wilson (1)
15th Place: "Spring Is Here To Remember" by Raphaella So (1)

Honerable Mention to...
Jason, Michael McVey, Below Average Dave, and The_Conquerer_Of_Parodies

Subject: Re: April SOTM Results

Written By: Red Ant on 05/31/07 at 11:31 pm

Congrats to Stu, Cat, and Kristof

Not that it affects my standing, but I had 29 points, not 25.

Written By: Matthias on 05/31/07 at 11:35 pm

Congrats to Stu, Cat, and Kristof

Not that it affects my standing, but I had 29 points, not 25.

Sorry late night calculating...

Written By: Cat on 05/31/07 at 11:48 pm

Wow! Thanks to EVERYONE who voted for me and my wacky relatives!!  :D Congrats to Stu and Kris as well, you guys deserve it!

(yeah, hopefully I'll win that gold SOMEday...I'm not bitter, just impatient!)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/01/07 at 12:06 am

So close...! Congrats to Stu, Cat and Kristof.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/01/07 at 12:49 am

Congratulations to Stu, Cat, and Kristof !!  :)

And thanks to everyone who voted for nerds in love !!  ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/01/07 at 12:50 am

thankyou so much everyone.  It was such a close tussle there for a while, and there's noone who I would have rather come second to than Cat, who is definitely overdue for a SOTM gold (how many medals so far Cat? 5-ish?)  - and given that I've already stated parodically how I Love How She Writes

by the way Matthias and B.A.Dave, you've inverted conqueror's votes - they should have been  RedAnt:5,  Stu:4,  Cat:3,  Kristof:2,  Raphaella:1
In other words, Raphaella got the 4 extra votes that Red Ant should have received, and Kristof got 2 extra votes that I should have received.

I mention that mainly so I can congratulate Mikey as well as Kristof for coming in third - both brilliant pieces  

thanks also (and especially) to Matthias for challenging me to do an eminem song - I sweated about perfect pacing for eminem's 4 rambling narratives for a long time on it, then decided to commit to syllable-perfect-pacing for the choruses, and eminem-feel-pacing for the narratives, although I reckon I got very close most of the time

and thanks also to poo master for his comments

Written By: skittlesking on 06/01/07 at 12:53 am

thankyou so much everyone.  It was such a close tussle there for a while, and there's noone who I would have rather come second to than Cat, who is definitely overdue for a SOTM gold (how many medals so far Cat? 5-ish?)  - and given that I've already stated parodically how I Love How She Writes

by the way Matthias and B.A.Dave, you've inverted conqueror's votes - they should have been  RedAnt:5,  Stu:4,  Cat:3,  Kristof:2,  Raphaella:1
In other words, Raphaella got the 4 extra votes that Red Ant should have received, and Kristof got 2 extra votes that I should have received.

I mention that mainly so I can congratulate Mikey as well as Kristof for coming in third - both brilliant pieces  

thanks also (and especially) to Matthias for challenging me to do an eminem song - I sweated about perfect pacing for eminem's 4 rambling narratives for a long time on it, then decided to commit to syllable-perfect-pacing for the choruses, and eminem-feel-pacing for the narratives, although I reckon I got very close most of the time

Actually Stu, I've dropped out of hosting SOTM, a little more on that when I'm up to it. . .It's Matthias' ball game now. . . .in fact, I may be looking for a POTM host too. . .so you may want to PM Matthias on that one. . .I didn't make a formal announcement, but it is now Matthias' show

Written By: Matthias on 06/01/07 at 1:03 am

So does that mean Mikey and Kristof tie? Or what? I am so damn confused!!!

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/01/07 at 1:08 am

Tie? I'm cool with that. ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/01/07 at 1:16 am

You'll have to check with Red Ant, who is the expert on all things SOTM, but although in the ABCs there are ties, I'm sure Claude used the countback system for SOTMs, so that there would always be exactly three place-getters for each month.

If that's the case, going by my calculations, my good buddy Kristof (with one 5-vote) is knocked back into 4th place by Mikey (who had 2 5-votes)

it would be such a shame for Kristof, who is absolutely starved of success in these SOTM things - don't worry, you'll medal one day mate ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/01/07 at 3:00 am

Congrats Stu, Cat and Kristof! Oh, and of course Mikey, who scored a pretty damn impressive 4th place. Go the Squirrel!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/01/07 at 4:32 am

You'll have to check with Red Ant, who is the expert on all things SOTM, but although in the ABCs there are ties, I'm sure Claude used the countback system for SOTMs, so that there would always be exactly three place-getters for each month.

If that's the case, going by my calculations, my good buddy Kristof (with one 5-vote) is knocked back into 4th place by Mikey (who had 2 5-votes)

Um....do I give my acceptance speech now, or what? Help?  ;)

I've gotta agree with Stu: I think the Squirrelmeister gets the Bronze.....which is poetic, considering I'm one of the voters who gave him 5 pts. I'm more than happy with my 4th, considering April wasn't a particularly great month for me parody-wise.

So let me be the first to offer the correct congratulations:

Stu: Well done, buddy! Absolute runaway winner this month...are you going to be blinging up now, dog?

Cat: That you haven't scored a gold yet is a travesty. But I predict that you will this year for sure

Mikey: Bass turd!  :D Seriously, congratulations on medalling with such a fine parody. Can't wait to see what you enter for May

it would be such a shame for Kristof, who is absolutely starved of success in these SOTM things - don't worry, you'll medal one day mate ;)

You're a funny man, McArthur.......sometimes.  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 06/01/07 at 5:14 am

Yeah, if Mikey and Kristof tied points-wise, and Mikey got 2 1st place votes vs Kristof's 1, then 3rd place goes to Mikey.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.

Sorry, Kristof, I'm sure one day you'll get that medal you've been so long overdue for.  ;)

Congrats to Mikey for his first SOTM medal, one long overdue!

Written By: K1chyd on 06/01/07 at 5:18 am

Congrats to Stu, Cat and Mikey then. Oh, and to poomaster for doing the decent thing and via voting obstipation DQ him(?)self for May.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/01/07 at 5:21 am

Congrats to Stu, Cat and Mikey then. Oh, and to poomaster for doing the decent thing and via voting obstipation DQ him(?)self for May.

An Error Has Occured!

You can't repeat a karma action within 24 hours!

(or something like that... karma contains calories, so it's probably best that I can't, you know, to help you maintain you figure :D)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/01/07 at 10:20 am

...to poomaster for doing the decent thing and via voting obstipation DQ him(?)self for May.

The less heard, the better.

Written By: Cat on 06/01/07 at 10:28 am

Well then, I guess I'd better change around my congrats to Stu and Mikey! :) Wow...in four months we've already seen three parodists get their first-ever SOTM medals—fantastic!

Oh yeah, and Stu, I do indeed have five medals now: three bronzes and two silvers. But it makes me wonder, what will I have to do for a gold, then...Blinded By The Light?!?  :o

Written By: McKludge on 06/01/07 at 12:32 pm

High praise to Stuart, Cat, and Mikey (and Kristof too?)  ???

Thanks to all who gave me some votes (2nd best Ag and Cutie - Thanks!).  Top ten on a first submission, I can't complain.

This might not be the place for it, but I couldn't help but notice that a few comments on my effort mentioned that although they were impressed with the quality, it wasn't funny enough to get votes.  I'm not complaining about that, because they're right, it wasn't funny throughout.  There have been a lot of political/societal parodies lately that while not neccesarily funny, they are of high quality (see Below Average Dave's comment in the April SOTM voting thread).  I don't think segregating those parodies to a different section is the answer.  Just an idea, but how about changing the voting label from "How Funny" to "How Funny/Clever."  I've seen plenty of well crafted and clever parodies on amiright, and I wouldn't call them funny, but I would say they are deserving of award.

just a random thought from a newbie

Written By: Jack Wilson on 06/01/07 at 1:16 pm

Well then, I guess I'd better change around my congrats to Stu and Mikey! :) Wow...in four months we've already seen three parodists get their first-ever SOTM medals—fantastic!

Oh yeah, and Stu, I do indeed have five medals now: three bronzes and two silvers. But it makes me wonder, what will I have to do for a gold, then...Blinded By The Light?!?  :o
Or how about do a parody of a certain artists songs all ine one parody like a medley

Prepare for a Styx one from me soon.

Written By: skittlesking on 06/01/07 at 2:08 pm

High praise to Stuart, Cat, and Mikey (and Kristof too?)   ???

Thanks to all who gave me some votes (2nd best Ag and Cutie - Thanks!).  Top ten on a first submission, I can't complain.

This might not be the place for it, but I couldn't help but notice that a few comments on my effort mentioned that although they were impressed with the quality, it wasn't funny enough to get votes.  I'm not complaining about that, because they're right, it wasn't funny throughout.  There have been a lot of political/societal parodies lately that while not neccesarily funny, they are of high quality (see Below Average Dave's comment in the April SOTM voting thread).  I don't think segregating those parodies to a different section is the answer.  Just an idea, but how about changing the voting label from "How Funny" to "How Funny/Clever."  I've seen plenty of well crafted and clever parodies on amiright, and I wouldn't call them funny, but I would say they are deserving of award.

I've always agreed that funny is incorrect as parodies, while usually funny--do not have to be, as the definition of a parody is to make a statement using likeness from another person's work.  I have run into the same roadblock with parodies that weren't funny as far as not being able to crack the top 3.  It's hard to get fair ratings when funny is one of the judging categories, since afterall--not all parodies are funny. . .I think perhaps "Sentiment" would be a good voting choice as oppossed to funny also--afterall, funny can be a sentiment intended, but so can political purpose or awareness of disease/discrimination and causes.

Written By: Cat on 06/01/07 at 3:24 pm

Sorry Jack, I don't do medleys! After having been forced to watch Moulin Rouge (and hating it), I'm staying far AWAAAAAY from medleys! :P

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/01/07 at 3:51 pm

High praise to Stuart, Cat, and Mikey (and Kristof too?)   ???

I hear ya, McK. Most people agree that "Funny" is probably not the best title for that particular voting category; however, I think it's pretty much set in stone. Most people who have been around the site for any period of time know to vote for cleverness/meaningfulness/sentiment when a parody is intentionally not a humourous piece; it's only the very new who will vote low there.

As for my particular comment about your parody: I didn't mean it as a diss, and hope you didn't take it that way. It's just that when I vote in SOTM, humour is, for me, the most important component. That doesn't mean I won't give a high mark for a serious parody; I gave you 555 because you wrote an excellent piece. But (and I'm being totally honest here) I wouldn't consider it for a SOTM vote, just as I wouldn't consider any serious parody. They're my own personal parameters.

Peace, dude.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/01/07 at 5:03 pm

Wow. I finally got my first SOTM medal! You like me, you really like me! (applause dies down). Kristof, I couldn't have tied with a better person. thank you for being graceful, but don't expect me to a Ving Rhames/Jack Lemmon thing where I say you should have the medal. ;)
Thanks again to everyone who voted for me. This really makes me happy that I finally got in top 3.
As for the May SOTM, I'd love to enter but unfortunately I had no submissions for the month.  :(
Been busy working on my next video, which I should have done within the next week.
Thanks again everyone! ;D

Written By: Jason on 06/01/07 at 6:16 pm

Well Done Stu!

And a warm regards to everyone (except poomaster) who took part. I didn't think my parody was that bad since i came rock bottom!

Jason.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/01/07 at 7:47 pm

Oops! I need to congratulate Mikey even more now! Well done, you little smegger!

And I agree with Cat - what will she have to do to get gold? What will I have to do to even get bronze?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/01/07 at 8:01 pm

Matty, check your PMs

Written By: Red Ant on 06/01/07 at 8:10 pm

Well Done Stu!

And a warm regards to everyone (except poomaster) who took part. I didn't think my parody was that bad since i came rock bottom!

Jason.

Actually, poomaster, by virtue of being DQed, finished dead last.

Although I was hoping for a podium trip this month, I'm glad Stu finished first, because it's been quite some time since a rap entry won gold in SOTM - matter of fact, it hasn't happened since the first SOTM back in 2004. A win for him in a win for me as well! (sort of  :D)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/01/07 at 8:15 pm

I hear ya, McK. Most people agree that "Funny" is probably not the best title for that particular voting category; however, I think it's pretty much set in stone. Most people who have been around the site for any period of time know to vote for cleverness/meaningfulness/sentiment when a parody is intentionally not a humourous piece; it's only the very new who will vote low there.

As for my particular comment about your parody: I didn't mean it as a diss, and hope you didn't take it that way. It's just that when I vote in SOTM, humour is, for me, the most important component. That doesn't mean I won't give a high mark for a serious parody; I gave you 555 because you wrote an excellent piece. But (and I'm being totally honest here) I wouldn't consider it for a SOTM vote, just as I wouldn't consider any serious parody. They're my own personal parameters.

Peace, dude.

that was going to be my response, word for word, KR, as I also left one of the comments to which McKludge is referring.

I agree with you, McKludge, that serious parodies are just as worthy creatively as funny pieces (I've written a bout a dozen too) and I'll 555 them just the same, but it seems to be generally agreed that SOTM medal-winners should be funny. 

I think it's because we're all really Weird Al wannabes underneath, and that type of satirical or clever humour is what we're all aiming for.  The serious stuff has its place, but it's kind of time-out from our main purpose which is to try to make people laugh - and that is harder (and more multi-dimensional) than being serious, so it makes the challenge more worthy imo, and justifies hunour as a criteria for SOTM scoring

(I'm pretty sure no totally-serious piece has ever medalled has it, Jack?)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/01/07 at 8:41 pm

(I'm pretty sure no totally-serious piece has ever medalled has it, Jack?)

Phil Alexander's "Killing Children (Wanton Murder)" lost a 3rd place tiebreaker in July 2005 SOTM. If JD was still making medals I'm sure it would have one despite the technical 4th place.

I recall voting that one 515, but it got my first place vote that month, as well as a few other people's top vote.

Aside from that one, I can't think of any "deep" or "non funny" parodies medaling in any competition.

To add a bit to what you and Kristof said, I usually go for funny, but with everyone writing such top-notch stuff these days that often isn't my only judging criteria in the contests. Sometimes pure "wow" factor will score better with me than a funnier song.

Written By: wannabemustangjock on 06/01/07 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Red Ant, for the single (5pts!) vote my parody received! I appreciate that!  ;D

Written By: McKludge on 06/01/07 at 9:43 pm

As for my particular comment about your parody: I didn't mean it as a diss, and hope you didn't take it that way.
Peace, dude.

I certainly did not take it as a diss, and did not mean to sound bitter, because I'm not.  In fact, I appreciate the honesty.  Hell, I always thought I was a goof for writing parodies in the first place.  Who knew there was a website devoted to such nonsense.  And I mean nonsense in the best possible way  :)

Everyone brings their own personal judgments to voting, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If everyone looked for the same qualities in a parody, the same people would win every time, and that would be pretty dull.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/01/07 at 10:59 pm

Hell, I always thought I was a goof for writing parodies in the first place.  Who knew there was a website devoted to such nonsense.  And I mean nonsense in the best possible way  :)

You and me both McKludge - when I first found amiright, I thought I was sort of dreaming :D

Written By: philbo on 06/04/07 at 1:23 am

Kind of lucky I wasn't in this one: I'd read down as far as fifteen/sixteen when the "rechargeable" batteries on the wireless mouse decided that they weren't going to recharge - not being at home, I couldn't simply swap 'em over.  Have you ever tried scanning through all the available links using <tab> to get to the right one?  Sorry, but I gave up.  Which was a shame - having bumped McK into entering, I figured he deserved a vote from me.

Anyway, that was a real tour de force, Stu.  Quite scary.. at least when I had a crack I tackled an easy Eminem song ;)  And some more super entries all through.  As usual.

Check for new replies or respond here...