inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Today's Challenge: Sidewalk Surfing by Jan & Dean

Written By: skittlesking on 08/08/07 at 2:22 am

Submit A Challenge Here

Whenever a New Challenge has been posted, I update this thread. . .

Think you got what it takes to respond to the challenges?  You may respond to any challenge, regardless of it's age, no matter how old it is. . .the more recent ones are linked to here, if you'd like to check out older challenges. . .Click Here

There is NO LIMIT as to how many times you may respond to any one challenge (IE if you've done a song 5 times, you may submit all 5 of your parodies of that song to help promote your work)

You may challenge any song at any time, and it will enter que. . .While any number of Responses are posted right away over at badave.com, only one challenge will be posted a day. . .

Today's Song: Sidewalk Surfing by Jan & Dean (Challenger: Ann Hammond)
View Sidewalk Surfing
Respond to the Challenge (link to your AmIRight/Whatfreak or other parody location)

Last 10 Challenges

11: Beeswax by Nirvana (Challenger: Ann Hammond)
View Beeswax
Respond to the Challenge (link to your AmIRight/Whatfreak or other parody location)
Successful Responses Thus Far: 02

10: Mourning Glory by Ween (Challenger: Agrimorfee)
View Mourning Glory
Successful Responses Thus Far: 00
  **Please Don't Submit it Till September 3rd so that it qualifies for the September 4th Pimp Your Parody Comp**

9: Careless Whisper by George Michael (Challenger: Below Average Dave)
View Careless Whisper
Successful Responses Thus Far: 01

8: Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf (Challenger: Below Average Dave)
View Bat Out of Hell

7: Baby Talk by Jan & Dean (Challenger: Ann Hammond)
View Baby Talk

6: You Can Do Magic by America (Challenger: Ann Hammond)
View You Can Do Magic

5: Crazy in Love by Beyonce (Challenger: Below Average Dave)
View Crazy in Love

4: Beat It by Michael Jackson (Challenger: Below Average Dave)
View Beat It
Successful Responses Thus Far: 03

3: How You Remind Me by Nickelback (Challenger: Below Average Dave)
View How You Remind Me

2: Iki Maska by Nina Hagen (Challenger: Agrimorfee)
Find Iki Maska
Successful Responses Thus Far: 00

Submit A Challenge Here

Subject: Re: New Challenge Feature

Written By: jreuben on 08/08/07 at 8:25 pm

Good idea, I like this.  I haven't commented much, but I have kept up with your site.

Written By: skittlesking on 08/08/07 at 9:34 pm

Good idea, I like this.  I haven't commented much, but I have kept up with your site.

Thanks Jeff:)  I hope it takes off, I'll be updating here daily also so that AmIRight members know what's going on over there.

Tomorrow I'll modify this thread to note the daily challenge and post direct links to the form to submit a challenge and the forms to reply to challenges.

OH. . .I forgot I came up with kind of a schedule just to keep things interesting.

Maniac Monday: Rock, Punk, Ska, Metal and Related Genres
Twilight Tuesday: Love Ballads, R&B, Sad Songs and Songs with Deep Meaning
Wild Card Wednesday: Any Genre or Difficulty can get posted this day
Thoughtless Thursday: Pop, Dance, Techno and all around Feel-Good Upbeat Songs
Frantic Friday: Extreme Challenge Songs (Very Difficult Songs to Parody from Any Genre (IE Rap, Hip Hop, Off-Rhyming, Long or Repetitive)

Saturday and Sunday are off days for new challenges, however updates will still be done on Responses those days.

Also, I figure with Friday being the big song day, it'll give people all weekend before a new challenge is posted so that they have time to come up with something for anyone who wants to do this on a daily basis.

. . .Hey Jeff--What have you been up to buddy, I haven't heard from you in awhile:)

Written By: wildcard on 08/08/07 at 11:29 pm

8) I can find some challenges to do while I continue to wait!  I can find challenges to do after I'm done waiting whether ear gets better or not!

Written By: skittlesking on 08/09/07 at 12:47 am

Excellent All:)

Well Thoughtless Thursday is here. . .the first challenge is a doozy

Britney Spears' Toxic

The OS Video can be seen here: Toxic Video

When you have your parody available on AmIRight, Get Credit for it Here

Stats will be kept on how many times any given parodist has completed a challenge, and they will be on the charts by number, you may complete any challenge as many times as you wish, and you may submit virtually any challenge as well.  If you don't know of a video, that's ok, just leave it blank, and I'll find one.  You can Post a Challenge for consideration here  and I will post it when it's up in que.  This is a great way to test your skills or get songs you like that not many people have done parodied.  Good luck everyone on Toxic by Britney Spears!

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Toxic by Britney Spears

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/09/07 at 12:14 pm

The only drawback I see for submitting songs for challenges is the requirement find a video...I am in a situation, too, where I can't download music, and often rely on a video, but some of the tunes I have thought of for challenges simply don't have a video. I often can find the OS lyrics of these works if need be.

But it's your site, Dave, and your call...

I have one song in mind that would be particular to this quandary...it is by Nina Hagen, and the title is "Iki Maska"...there is NO video, and NO printed lyrics available on the 'net! In many ways, it's like "Revolution 9", only with the inimitably strange Hagen vocally improvising, in multiple languages and multiple melodies, over a stolen "Peter Gunn" riff. I have said many a time that "no song is parody-proof", but this may be the exception to the rule. However, if some insane person wishes to tackle this very difficult to translate (and difficult to listen to) number, they shall have my unmitigated admiration from here to Kingdom Come!

you can download or preview "Iki Maska" here, if you are curious or daring.
http://www.mp3.com/albums/7176/summary.html

Written By: skittlesking on 08/09/07 at 3:26 pm

The only drawback I see for submitting songs for challenges is the requirement find a video...I am in a situation, too, where I can't download music, and often rely on a video, but some of the tunes I have thought of for challenges simply don't have a video. I often can find the OS lyrics of these works if need be.

But it's your site, Dave, and your call...

I have one song in mind that would be particular to this quandary...it is by Nina Hagen, and the title is "Iki Maska"...there is NO video, and NO printed lyrics available on the 'net! In many ways, it's like "Revolution 9", only with the inimitably strange Hagen vocally improvising, in multiple languages and multiple melodies, over a stolen "Peter Gunn" riff. I have said many a time that "no song is parody-proof", but this may be the exception to the rule. However, if some insane person wishes to tackle this very difficult to translate (and difficult to listen to) number, they shall have my unmitigated admiration from here to Kingdom Come!

you can download or preview "Iki Maska" here, if you are curious or daring.
http://www.mp3.com/albums/7176/summary.html

Actually, the video is preferred, but not required, if you have an mp3 link that is ok too, just post it as  a challenge;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/09/07 at 4:10 pm

"Iki Maska" is officially submitted for Challenge. (as Kristof would say, I am a bass-turd!  :D)

Subject: Re: Weekend Challenge: Iki Maska by Nina Hagen

Written By: skittlesking on 08/09/07 at 10:13 pm

Frantic Friday is REALLY frantic today. . .

Agrimorfee has challenged a rather obscure German hit, I can't find the lyrics so it is truely a challenge. . .is anyone up to it???

Iki Maska by Nina Hagen

Some Info is Available Here: Iki Maska Info

This one is a tough one. . .on yesterday's challenge "Toxic", we have one answer to it so far, that is "Jock Itch", but this challenge is and always will still be open, especially considering it generally takes a few days to get a parody posted etc etc etc. . .if you have trouble submitting your response to a parody after posting on AmIRight OR Whatfreaks, PM me and I will post it over at badave.com as an official response for you.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 08/10/07 at 12:02 pm

Here's a really obvious  idea

"Icky Mask! AAAAAAH!"

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/10/07 at 3:01 pm

Here's a really obvious  idea

"Icky Mask! AAAAAAH!"

Ha! Ha! Doesn't fit the pacing though...she chants the title a few times, phonetically it sounds like "ee-kee ma-ska!" with very little stress on the syllables.

EDIT: "tricky bastard"? :)

This is 1 of 2 songs I know of that has the sound of someone horking a loogie (the other being by Butthole Surfers, of course  ;)).

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: How You Remind Me by Nickelback

Written By: skittlesking on 08/13/07 at 6:29 am

Toxic and Iki Maska collectively have just one successful  challenge response, so don't forget challenges never expire!

Today however is Maniac Monday . . .which gives us a new challenge

I've added a Rock Challenge of "How You Remind Me", a classic Nickelback song. . .

The video is Available Here: See the Video

How You Remind Me isn't easy, but it is considerably less challenging than Toxic or Iki Maska, both of which seem to have the parodist world in general fairly stumped.  If you already have How You Remind Me, Toxic or Iki Maska done, please submit it to the badave response form appropriate for the challenge you completed to get credit for it towards your overall parody count. 

Written By: wildcard on 08/13/07 at 11:05 am

Wait a minute I think I answered my question

Written By: Matthias on 08/13/07 at 12:57 pm

For today's challenge I'm going to do a song about tattoos called, "How You Design Me"

Written By: skittlesking on 08/15/07 at 9:14 pm

Sorry, everything's caught up. . .I've been sick the past two days . . . updated tonight though;) 

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Beat It by Michael Jackson

Written By: skittlesking on 08/15/07 at 9:19 pm

Congrats to Ann on being the second successful Toxic Responder, and to Matthias on Knocking out How You Remind Me

As I said I have been sick, so sorry i fell behind, I'm still sick, but three days is just too far behind for my tastes, so I had to update.

No new challengers, so I added Michael Jackson's Classic Beat It, a fairly repetitious song with lots of good parodies already available, not an easy song for those who haven't already done it.

Beat It is a challenge, but so are How You Remind Me, Toxic and Iki Maska, which collectively have 4 successful responses. . .still plenty of room to get credit towards the overall totals.  Charts will exist for everyone shortly. . .as in as soon as this flu/cold/sinus thing goes away, same for my next re-recording "Wife's Secret Tale", I'll do Artistry tomorrow. . .sorry for the delay.

Subject: Re: Weekend Challenge: Crazy in Love by Beyonce

Written By: skittlesking on 08/17/07 at 12:58 am

Two people submitted Beat It Parodies yesterday, remember all old challenges are open forever though .. .

Today however is FRANTIC FRIDAY, and since no one else had a challenge for the day, I figured I'd through in this difficult and not so over-done Beyonce R&B/Rap mix, not an easy target, it's this Weekend's Big Challenge

Crazy in Love is a very difficult OS to hit, it's fast paced, changing and typical Beyonce insanity going on in the background.  On top of that, it's repetitive, if you have a song YOU want to see the parodists tackle, make sure you enter your challenge over at Badave!

Written By: wildcard on 08/17/07 at 11:55 am

I'm just wondering if everything in the challenge response was a responce to one of the challenges and not just something that has been done in the past.  If it doesn't matter thats cool, but it wouldn't be fun if people just started requesting what they've already written for credit. 

Written By: skittlesking on 08/17/07 at 2:07 pm

I'm just wondering if everything in the challenge response was a responce to one of the challenges and not just something that has been done in the past.  If it doesn't matter thats cool, but it wouldn't be fun if people just started requesting what they've already written for credit. 

Anybody may challenge anything, and people can post older stuff. . .I personally only put a challenge in when no one else has a new one posted that fits a theme, as this idea is new that means most days I have had to come up with a challenge. . .anytime you see my name as the challenger, it's because no one else has posted a new one.  The other good thing about songs already in someone's collection. . .a song that may be rare that a person may have done may be the only parody or one of only a couple parodies out there, so it's a  chance to get others to do songs that you like as well.  I personally plan on doing most (though not all as some I just can't do since I record) challenges that others post, and challenging songs I know are upcoming from my new and yet to be released songs (well unless we can get more challengers to start posting before that).

Anyhow, it's kind of an open book.  I do recommend challenging some of the songs you've done that you feel there aren't enough parodies of, or songs you'd like to do that you'd like to see what others can come up with too. . .I agree that would make it very fun, but as long as no one has a new challenge. . .I post challenges of mine right before updates if no one else came up with one that fits the next days theme

BTW
That scheme is
Maniac Monday for Rock, Emo, Metal, Industrial, Ska, Punk and Alternative
Twilight Tuesday for R&B, Deep Meaning Songs, Ballads, Love Songs, and Broken Heart Songs
Wild Card Wednesday for Any Type of Music
Thouhgtless Thursday for Pop and Upbeat Music that lacks real deep meaning, but makes you happy
Frantic Friday for Rap, Hip Hop, Off-Rhyme Schemes and other extremely challenging songs to parody.

Saturday and Sunday are off days where Frantic Friday's challenge remains the ongoing challenge

When many songs are submitted for challenge purposes, they all remain in que until they are the next qualifying song for a specific day.  IE, it's Friday--if you submitted Metallica's Enter Sandman and Green Day's Minority, both would qualify for Monday, assuming no one else submitted a challenge and that you submitted Metallica first, I would choose it as Monday's Challenge by you, Green Day would stay in que as there is only one challenge per day--it doesn't qualify for Twilight Tuesday, but it Does qualify for Wild Card Wednesday so Green Day would be chosen Wednesday. . that is just an example, you don't have to pay attention to the scheme/schedule, you can post any challenge and as soon as a day it qualifies for is up I will post it, most songs qualify for two days as some genres (Country IE) can be either Twilight Tuesday, Thoughtless Thursday or Frantic Friday depending on how they are done.

Written By: wildcard on 08/17/07 at 3:33 pm

Anyhow, it's kind of an open book.  I do recommend challenging some of the songs you've done that you feel there aren't enough parodies of, or songs you'd like to do that you'd like to see what others can come up with too.

Ok I just was looking at it from a different veiw.  I ought to see if anyone can find something else to do with all the bobs and um's in Babytalk besides bubbles. Maybe tuesday as a love song or wildcard can do it for wild card day :D

Written By: skittlesking on 08/17/07 at 4:01 pm

Ok I just was looking at it from a different veiw.  I ought to see if anyone can find something else to do with all the bobs and um's in Babytalk besides bubbles. Maybe tuesday as a love song or wildcard can do it for wild card day :D

Sounds good to me:). . .thinking about promoting the challenger part of it a little more to help get fans involved, that why I created it at badave so that visitors can ask parodists to do songs they'd like to see and so that parodists can see their favorite songs take by other people . . .It's working on the response end, got some work left on the challenge end.

Thanks for the support Ann ;)

Written By: wildcard on 08/17/07 at 4:31 pm

Another parody I did a long time ago and no one else has submitted here uses the OS You Can Do Magic by America.  I'll have to go through my list because I use to try to come up with songs no one had done.

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Baby Talk by Jan & Dean

Written By: skittlesking on 08/21/07 at 12:40 am

Congrats to Ann Hammond, with a Response to Beat It and a response You Can Do Magic she has moved into 2nd overall on the response count. . .it's a new thread though--so I know it's still really early. . .

Welcome to Twilight Tuesday, Ann has fittingly submitted a qualifying song that didn't make the cut yesterday for rock, but it is perfect for Twilight Tuesday: Baby Talk by Jan & Dean, a classic. . .

This one isn't terribly difficult a parody, but it's one that's got some tricky parts that reading the lyrics alone without at least somewhat understanding the song can catch you off guard. . .it's a good Challenge. . .can someone answer the challenge???

Written By: skittlesking on 08/21/07 at 11:10 pm

No Challenges in the Que Line for Wild Card Wednesday, so the daily challenge hasn't changed. . .too tired to think of one myself.

Written By: skittlesking on 08/24/07 at 12:07 am

Ann's up to 4 responses, congrats Ann

No one had a challenge, so I'm posting one Matthias posted to me a long time ago

Easily one of the toughest epic parodied to do. . .not many have been up to the challenges yet. . .are you?

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Careless Whisper by George Michael

Written By: skittlesking on 08/28/07 at 11:52 pm

Today is Careless Whisper by George Michael. . .

not many challenges coming in so I'm filling in. . .the two sections of the site are being hit heavily. . .but I know that the contests kinda have everyone tied up right now. . .

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Careless Whisper by George Michael

Written By: skittlesking on 08/30/07 at 2:03 am

Because I'm not getting enough daily challenges--this thread will be re-scheduled to daily, whenever a NEW challenge is posted. . .sorry, but I can't make the daily challenge by myself--and some of the other contests kinda make this one obsolete. . .I may change that once everything else is caught up, but for now, the daily challenge will be whenever someone posts one at badave.com

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Mourning Glory by Ween

Written By: skittlesking on 09/01/07 at 12:33 am

Mourning Glory has been challenged by Agrimorfee

He gets "Pimp" points if he gets them submitted for September 4th (which means don't submit them to AMIRIGHT until SEPTEMBER 3rd). . .I myself don't know the song at all--BUT ANYONE WHO CAN PARODY THIS SONG---LETS HELP AGRI!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Beeswax by Nirvana

Written By: skittlesking on 09/02/07 at 5:37 am

Nirvana's Beeswax has been CHALLENGED! by Ann Hammond. . .Good Luck Everyone--this one's a toughy!

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Mourning Glory by Ween

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/04/07 at 9:22 am

Mourning Glory has been challenged by Agrimorfee

He gets "Pimp" points if he gets them submitted for September 4th (which means don't submit them to AMIRIGHT until SEPTEMBER 3rd). . .I myself don't know the song at all--BUT ANYONE WHO CAN PARODY THIS SONG---LETS HELP AGRI!!!!!!!!!

Dave, Dave...I pimped "Buckingham Green", not "Mourning Glory", but thanks for the headsup and looking out for a bud.  8)"Mourning Glory" was solely intended just for your challenge arena.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/04/07 at 4:52 pm

Nirvana's Beeswax has been CHALLENGED! by Ann Hammond. . .Good Luck Everyone--this one's a toughy!

I've done three to Beeswax so far myself....

And I still have another idea.

If it's cool for more than one person to do it... I will too...

The only question is this:

Is there a set time limit for when the parodies are due for submission?

Written By: skittlesking on 09/04/07 at 5:00 pm

I've done three to Beeswax so far myself....

And I still have another idea.

If it's cool for more than one person to do it... I will too...

The only question is this:

Is there a set time limit for when the parodies are due for submission?

Yeah, no limit, and anyone can complete a challenge unlimited amount of times (IE If you've done it three times, you can get credit for each completion!):)  Challenges never expire

Written By: Step-chan on 09/04/07 at 5:34 pm

Yeah, no limit, and anyone can complete a challenge unlimited amount of times (IE If you've done it three times, you can get credit for each completion!):)  Challenges never expire

Well, those are already up in my author page. I could link those, but only one of the three is a good pacer lyrics wise.

Written By: wildcard on 09/04/07 at 6:07 pm

Well, those are already up in my author page. I could link those, but only one of the three is a good pacer lyrics wise.

send it in.  I'm trying to suport B A D and get you a little more company at the same time.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/04/07 at 6:56 pm

send it in.  I'm trying to suport B A D and get you a little more company at the same time.

Just did, the other two parodies to Beeswax that I have are called "Calvin and Hobbes" and Stephen's Drunken Champloo". While they're not bad parodies, I have issues with the pacing in them(although I think I can play them on guitar, considering how random the OS is).

Edit:

As I said, I do have another idea for Beeswax, it's based on one of my favorite things. I know I can do a good paced and silly one with the theme I have in mind, so I'll work on it while I work on my parody for "Buy me a Condo" which is a Weird Al original.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/05/07 at 3:04 pm

I submitted mine yesterday, when does it get updated?

Written By: wildcard on 09/05/07 at 7:27 pm

I submitted mine yesterday, when does it get updated?

usually it goes up in a day or two.  You can check the que line to see if it's going to be up there.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/06/07 at 1:21 pm

Looks like the last one was on Sunday.

Written By: skittlesking on 09/06/07 at 3:05 pm

Well, I don't have any in que at the moment--I did an update yesterday, and 5 of the past 6 days. . .I'll double-check, but I didn't see anything left in que. . .I think I've posted on by you last night. . .are you sure it's been since Sunday?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/06/07 at 7:06 pm

I parodied "Beeswax" a LONG time ago but never submitted it to Amiright. It's on the parody discussion board somewhere, probably 25 pages deep by now.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 09/06/07 at 10:35 pm

Well, I don't have any in que at the moment--I did an update yesterday, and 5 of the past 6 days. . .I'll double-check, but I didn't see anything left in que. . .I think I've posted on by you last night. . .are you sure it's been since Sunday?

I think I went into the right area to submit it(Something might have went wrong).

It was Sunday for the Beeswax one by Ann, I think.

(But not for the other ones, I just meant her's).

I was at the library when I did it, the computer wouldn't let me copy and paste, so I had to shift back and forth and type in the URL.

I could've sworn I did it right....

Edit:

I only see hers.  :(

(If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all)

Extra Edit: I could do it again....

Written By: Red Ant on 09/06/07 at 10:45 pm

I parodied "Beeswax" a LONG time ago but never submitted it to Amiright. It's on the parody discussion board somewhere, probably 25 pages deep by now.

Ant

Make that 35 pages deep:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=9272.msg446305#msg446305

I'll submit it for tomorrow, only 'cause I want to pass that Jim A guy soon.  :D

(and it's been like a year and a half since I had two parodies up on the same day).  :D :D

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 09/06/07 at 10:51 pm

usually it goes up in a day or two.  You can check the que line to see if it's going to be up there.

The que?

Where's that at?

Edit:

Do you have to register on his site for it?

Edit: Which section was I suppose to registered at?

Was it the respond to challenge or was it supposed to be where the video for it is at?

Written By: wildcard on 09/06/07 at 11:17 pm

The que?

Where's that at?

Edit:

Do you have to register on his site for it?

Edit: Which section was I suppose to registered at?

Was it the respond to challenge or was it supposed to be where the video for it is at?

looks like you put it in the right place because it's up now.  You don't have to register for this, but if you want to open an account or join the community you can sign up for those.  with an account you can have works that are in places like Soundclick linked.  These would be entered under rm parodies. 

Written By: Step-chan on 09/06/07 at 11:36 pm

looks like you put it in the right place because it's up now.  You don't have to register for this, but if you want to open an account or join the community you can sign up for those.  with an account you can have works that are in places like Soundclick linked.  These would be entered under rm parodies. 

Oh, okay.

Edit:

I see it now.

Subject: Re: Today's Challenge: Sidewalk Surfing by Jan & Dean

Written By: skittlesking on 09/10/07 at 2:32 am

A new challenge today has been posted!

Ann Hammond challenges Jan & Dean's hit "Sidewalk Surfing"!

Check for new replies or respond here...