inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: August/September Rollover POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not entering

Written By: philbo on 09/01/07 at 10:36 am

For all parody competition entrants, even those people not entering POTM competitions, please scroll down to the blue bit below

Remember, NO DQ's in this contest, but those who didn't vote in the previous round DO forfeit 20 points. . .and ANYONE involved in contests may vote even if they can't enter.

Rules for this contest

1.  Any Performance submitted during August/September 2007 is elligible

2. All Entrants must enter by October 7, 2007 at 11:59pm EST

3. Voting will end October 31, 2007 at 11:59pm EST

4. All Entrants must vote and comment on the recordings entered by the above date

5. All SOTM entrants past and present  are eligible to vote whether they enter this contest or not

6. All ABC1,2 or 3 entrants are eligible to vote whether they enter this contest or not

7. Once you enter a recording contest, you are eligible to vote in future comps whether or not you enter

8. Failure to vote by the deadline will result in forfeit of your points

9. All Prior POTM entrants are WELCOME TO VOTE

10. Songs featuring different vocalists are ok, but the entrants will be listed based on their WRITERS

11. Once You've Voted, You can not change your vote UNLESS your vote was invalid

12.  In the event of a tie, the song with the most 1st place wins
      If it is still tied, 2nd place
      If it is still tied, 3rd place
      If it is still tied, a Tie Breaker for one week into the following month will be held
      Only the Top 3 require a tie breaker.

13.  You can't vote for your own song

14. You can't vote for another song more than once in the same contest

There are some extra questions to vote on, after last month's contest only attracted three entries:

There needs to be a minimum number of entries in order to run a POTM - I suggest five as an appropriate number.  If there are fewer than this minimum, we have a "rollover" POTM, where one month's entries are carried over to the following month's competition.  The other thing is what happens on a rollover - are parody authors who've submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month?  And if so, is the quorum (the minimum number) the number of entries, or the number of participants?

Voting options:
1. Should there be a minimum number of entries in order to run the POTM?
2. If yes, should that number be five?
3. If there is a rollover POTM, are authors who submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month? (I'm assuming they'll only get one vote, though)
4. Assuming each participant only gets one vote, if there is a rollover POTM, should the minimum number be participants, not entries? (otherwise you may still get a quorum by having three entrants with two songs each)

Please feel free to make suggestions and vote even if you are not entering this month's POTM - voting is open to anyone eligible to vote in a POTM (i.e. SOTM/ABC entrants, too).

Subject: Re: August POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not entering

Written By: Red Ant on 09/01/07 at 11:37 am

Although I probably won't be doing many of these, here's my thoughts:

Voting options:
1. Should there be a minimum number of entries in order to run the POTM? Yes.
2. If yes, should that number be five? Since we get 5 votes and can't vote for our own, I think 6 is a better number
3. If there is a rollover POTM, are authors who submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month? I would say no to one author with two entries. However, that author could change his entry to his better recording if he has one.(I'm assuming they'll only get one vote, though) Sounds good to me.
4. Assuming each participant only gets one vote, if there is a rollover POTM, should the minimum number be participants, not entries? (otherwise you may still get a quorum by having three entrants with two songs each) It should be 5 (or 6) participants, not entry based

Ant

Written By: skittlesking on 09/01/07 at 2:15 pm

1. YES - - -a minimum is a good idea
2. Well-I would say yes, BUT I like what Red Ant said, I don't think you or I thought of that fact, 6 or more I agree
3. Yes to second entry  Original entry accepted, and they get to add one for each rollover month. . .
4. Yes, participants.

Written By: Rex on 09/02/07 at 6:55 pm

My opinions:

2. If yes, should that number be five? 6
3. If there is a rollover POTM, are authors who submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month? (I'm assuming they'll only get one vote, though) No, but they should be able to remove the rollover entry and submit a different one if they want.
4. Assuming each participant only gets one vote, if there is a rollover POTM, should the minimum number be participants, not entries? (otherwise you may still get a quorum by having three entrants with two songs each) Even on a rollover it should be one artist - one entry.

Written By: philbo on 09/06/07 at 4:43 pm

I nearly forgot to enter myself... even though it is looking rather like it's going to be a rollover month

A.S.S.H.O.L.E.
Comments

Re voting:
2. If yes, should that number be five? I'm easy, but I guess that six seems more logical
3. If there is a rollover POTM, are authors who submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month? (I'm assuming they'll only get one vote, though) I'm going to vote for authors being allowed a second entry in a rollover month - otherwise it seems almost like they're being penalized
4. Assuming each participant only gets one vote, if there is a rollover POTM, should the minimum number be participants, not entries? (otherwise you may still get a quorum by having three entrants with two songs each)It should definitely be participants, not entries

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/06/07 at 5:03 pm

I just don't have the time to devote towards listening to each performance on a continuing basis (in addition to ABC, SOTM and Dave's Artistry). That's the only reason I don't participate in this. Sorry guys.

Written By: philbo on 09/07/07 at 3:34 am

I know what you mean, Ag - it's why I gave up the other compos: POTM/SOTM are about as much as I can guarantee time for.

Subject: Re: August/September Rollover POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not enteri

Written By: philbo on 09/10/07 at 4:43 am

After a very quiet August for performance submissions, looks like only Dave and I submitted for the POTM.  This makes it our first rollover month - as current voting goes, it means that Dave and I have the option to change our entries if desired - however, I see no reason to close the voting on POTM rollover rules, so please feel free to drop in some feedback.

Subject: Re: August/September Rollover POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not enteri

Written By: skittlesking on 09/10/07 at 5:19 am

After a very quiet August for performance submissions, looks like only Dave and I submitted for the POTM.  This makes it our first rollover month - as current voting goes, it means that Dave and I have the option to change our entries if desired - however, I see no reason to close the voting on POTM rollover rules, so please feel free to drop in some feedback.

yes, especially since there is a tie on one of the subjects, it seems the others are all unanimous though. . .

"3. If there is a rollover POTM, are authors who submitted in the first month allowed a second entry in the second month? (I'm assuming they'll only get one vote, though)" is at 2-Yes, and 2-No

For me I was against the idea, but I had to concur with Phil's opinion that those who qualified for the POTM the month that fell short of entrants may feel penalized because they had one ready for that month.  It may complicate voting a bit, but at the same time it's tough to not think that it's a little unfair to those who had an entry for the months rolled-over to have to discredit an entire month--so I guess the voting will decide (hopefully at least on more person votes so that the tie is broken.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 09/13/07 at 7:56 pm

Ok, I say there should be at least 6 entrants; only one entry on a rollover that the artist can change if they so desire; one artist, one entry.

With that in mind I'm gonna submit:
"Dagobah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYiYl7KGgM
Comments: http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1188647108.shtml

May the Farce be with me.

Written By: skittlesking on 09/13/07 at 8:13 pm

Just in case I forget, I'm using a space saver as "That's My Cooking" for now, but I may have another one before the end of the month.

Written By: jreuben on 09/15/07 at 6:46 am

I like the minimum entrants thing, I'm still trying to decide on whether to allow multiple entries for the same artist.  As a side note, I actually have two recordings this month, I just haven't posted them yet.

Written By: skittlesking on 10/01/07 at 9:08 pm

I like Call Before Hang Overs and Antarctican Terrorist, but without a doubt-on a performance level my entrant is

That's My Cooking

The Actual Location. . .
http://www.badave.com/hosting/parody.php?st=46

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/03/07 at 6:16 pm

Well, looks like only 3 entries. Are we still gonna do this one for August/September or give a little more time?

Subject: Re: August/September Rollover POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not entering

Written By: philbo on 10/05/07 at 5:56 am

Well, there's still four more days for September's performances... if we get no more takers, then I guess it's a rollover into October.

Written By: jreuben on 10/05/07 at 8:27 am

Still Whack-A-Mole For Me

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1190268114.shtml

Subject: Re: August/September Rollover POTM Entry Thread - please read even if not entering

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/07 at 9:14 am

Mime In Your Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnCP20eCiY

Comments
http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1189601667.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/07 at 11:42 pm

So we can have 6 entrants...  ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=663425&songID=5794727

"Don't Tase Me, Bro!"

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...