inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright Idle Redux?

Written By: EthanM on 09/11/07 at 12:19 am

As long as contsts are judged by the contestants, then they will be primarily feedback exchanges. Feedback is a good thing, and so is respect from fellow writers, but shouldn't some contests actuallly be competitions? Several years ago we had some of those over here, and the most ambitious was also the first and probably the least successful. The lack of success was mostly due to poor planning, and that can be fixed - by better planning. The name of the contest was Amiright Idle - I think the name should be changed but the actual format should probably be a little more like the show that inspired it than version one was.

During the first try, the three people deemed to have posted the best reviews of parodies picked by ChuckyG were appointed judges for the competition. I think at least two of the three were relatively new to the site, and not surprisingly there was often at least one judge not doing what they were supposed to be doing. The second time around the selection process should be more comprehensive, and all judges should be respected long-standing members of inthe00s. The original competition also determined a final eight just based on one song submitted by each contestant. This time, I think that writers should have to display a certain level of competence to move on but it shouldn' be cutthroat in the 1st round.

For this to happen, I think a separate child board would be required. Otherwise the song parody contest board would get very cluttered very quickly. I've thought about this more than I've written so far, but right now I need to go to sleep.

Subject: Re: Amiright Idle Redux?

Written By: skittlesking on 09/11/07 at 12:53 am

As long as contsts are judged by the contestants, then they will be primarily feedback exchanges. Feedback is a good thing, and so is respect from fellow writers, but shouldn't some contests actuallly be competitions? Several years ago we had some of those over here, and the most ambitious was also the first and probably the least successful. The lack of success was mostly due to poor planning, and that can be fixed - by better planning. The name of the contest was Amiright Idle - I think the name should be changed but the actual format should probably be a little more like the show that inspired it than version one was.

During the first try, the three people deemed to have posted the best reviews of parodies picked by ChuckyG were appointed judges for the competition. I think at least two of the three were relatively new to the site, and not surprisingly there was often at least one judge not doing what they were supposed to be doing. The second time around the selection process should be more comprehensive, and all judges should be respected long-standing members of inthe00s. The original competition also determined a final eight just based on one song submitted by each contestant. This time, I think that writers should have to display a certain level of competence to move on but it shouldn' be cutthroat in the 1st round.

For this to happen, I think a separate child board would be required. Otherwise the song parody contest board would get very cluttered very quickly. I've thought about this more than I've written so far, but right now I need to go to sleep.

Basically another try at the 'parodist idol' idea. . .I like it and would participate in whatever capacity is open. . .

I would like to say one thing though--when a performer goes on to the American Idol stage to perform, they can't use an existing performance, so I would assume that a decade or similar circumstance would be posted after the initial rounds and that one would then write a parody within the allotted time, and doing round by round eliminations like American Idol. . .

I think it's creative, and what we need to garner interest in the parodies, so I'm all for it.  I realize that might mean hearing negative feedback if I suck on a particular entry, but if it's for the better of parody--I'm in.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/11/07 at 1:22 am

I'd love to hear more about this, particularly how it's going to work this time...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=8517.0

This idea of me being a judge was pitched to me a while back by someone else unaware of the Amiright Idle contests. I respectfully declined.

Ethan (and Phil) are probably the only two people left who would remember the first contests in early 2003. I found these links:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_01.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_02.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_03.shtml

Now THOSE are some in depth comments! Reminds me a bit of my newbie days, heh heh.

I'd love to be able to have the time to leave that kind of feedback - good or bad, comments like those are way more helpful and honest than a lot of comments these days - mine included.  :-Ant

Written By: skittlesking on 09/11/07 at 2:33 am

I'd love to hear more about this, particularly how it's going to work this time...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=8517.0

This idea of me being a judge was pitched to me a while back by someone else unaware of the Amiright Idle contests. I respectfully declined.

Ethan (and Phil) are probably the only two people left who would remember the first contests in early 2003. I found these links:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_01.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_02.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/idle/contest01_03.shtml

Now THOSE are some in depth comments! Reminds me a bit of my newbie days, heh heh.

I'd love to be able to have the time to leave that kind of feedback - good or bad, comments like those are way more helpful and honest than a lot of comments these days - mine included.  :-Ant

Due to the large number of contests---I may be altering the time periods allowed for Artistry entrants and voting because it IS a lot to keep up with. . .I'm also considering reducing the Daily Challenge to stay on badave.com as active but to allow it to fall off the AmIRight boards as a contest--that would reduce to 6, plus the POTM is luckily a very small comp and this month rolled over, so that's another break. . .The pimp thread ends this year if I recall correctly, so perhaps by December things will calm down, I think the "Request Hour" is somewhat permanent as are SOTM, ABC, and POTM--and for the immediate future Artistry as it has roughly 130 rounds left  :o  but I know how you feel about comps right now, and it is crowded, and I don't see it clearing up any time soon. . .but like I said, I think soon I'm going to withdraw the Daily Challenge, at least clearing up some room, and start allowing entries for Artistry to run a little longer, and voting also, but I have to think about that, because adding even one day to each round amounts to 4 months on the end of the comp. . .and considering it's already quite long--that might be crazy to make it any longer--but I want to try to help the comp situation. . .I think a lot of comps are good though overall--but when SOTM, ABC, the current Artistry Round or POTM fall off the front page, there's an issue--I have been keeping the Organizing File up to date every night that there's a change. . .for the past month now it's been caught up on a regular basis, that can help those who want to keep up with individual contests.  I can't believe the "B" round only had 9 entrants in ABC. . .I was rather shocked actually. . .and Artistry is at 7, both are relatively low for what they are used to, same can be said about last month's 12 SOTM entrants, or the 15 that followed this month--and POTM can't even get enough to keep it from rolling over. . .Not unless I can somehow get recordings for everyone else ready in time (which is difficult with my current schedule, and besides I like it spaced a bit so I'm not judging myself too many times). .

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/11/07 at 7:45 am

The return of school and the upcoming holidays are also a mitigating factor in participation.

This "Album Cornix" seemed to be quite the writer, whatever happened to him?

I hope that the bugs in the system from the first-go-round can be squashed before we start this again.

Written By: EthanM on 09/11/07 at 9:43 am

I forgot that I tried to start a contest in 2005, but this will be different. First of all, no numerical ratings. Judging should be in words and words only. I also want to have a reward for the winner(s) this time - at the very least something like a guaranteed recording by Robert Lund for the FUMP, and ideally an 8-10 episode TV show next summer featuring the end of the comptition in a live format. If a finalist can't make it in person (a likely scenario) then I'm sure that plenty of competent local musicians would be willing to perform the songs written by that parodist for the sake of exposure. Unfortunately there might be a bit of a catch-22 in that pitching a show would be muh easier wiith a successful contest already underway, and the promise of widespread exposure that a TV deal would entail would probably encourage a lot more people to enter. But even without huge rewards, the idea of a contest that doesn't require contestants to vote should definitely draw more contestants than the SOTM etc have been getting. If it was prominently advertised on the amiright and inthe00s frontpages that would help too. I'm really just thinking things through right now, so feel free to chime in with suggestions.

Written By: Matthias on 09/11/07 at 10:29 am

Dave: If you allow entries for Artistry to go any longer this is going to be a 10 year competition. If you need me to do anything to help you out with it, I'll be more than willing to help, but I like the two week thing. It's enough time for everybody to get their submittions in without waiting too long. When we were in the Garth Brooks round and you went on vacation I was bored out of my mind waiting for the next Artist to arrive. So PLEASE DO NOT make it any longer than 2 weeks!!!!!! Again if you need me to do anything to help you out with it feel free to ask.

Written By: EthanM on 09/14/07 at 6:40 pm

The way I see it, it will be several months until this competition would take much time away from other contests unless you are a judge, and if you make it that far then i should be worth it to take some time off from the other competitions. I want to have judges by early october, and start judging in early november. I don't see any reason why anyone who has already written a bnch of parodies should have to write anything new specifically for the early rounds. I also don't see how a giant contest will be possible without it's own board.

Check for new replies or respond here...