inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decathlon: Mark Two! (Calling all last minute inquiries!)

Written By: Matthias on 09/13/07 at 3:34 pm

I am glad to announce the upcoming sequal to the very popular parody contest!!!!
Originally run and thought up by our very own Kristof Robertson has now been taken into new hands, by our very own Matthias.
Everything will be new about this sequal
There will be NEW GENRES!!!
NEW TOPICS!!!
NEW PARODIES!!!!
New Contestants?

That's where you come in...

I need people to want to get involved in this!!!

(Yes I know that SOTM, ABC, and Artistry is all currently running, but those are all long term projects. After all SOTM is every month, and ABC is at least 26 x 2 weeks long, and Artistry is over the course of 5 years... So we'll always have those to deal with, but for ABC you use your old songs, and SOTM is pretty much any song you've written for the month, so the only new parodies would come from Artistry, and not everybody is involved in Artistry, and you have 2 weeks to write a song, and it's really easy to write 2 songs in 2 weeks.... THUS I don't see any problems with starting the 2nd round of the Decathlon!!!)

This is a 20 week contest, with 10 different musical genres, and 10 different topics to discuss.

The formation of this contest is up to you. I can only do so much, I'll need you to write the parodies that will be in musical combat with each other.

Hopefully I can see new and old contestants from the pervious Decathlon, and the people who never got the oppertunity to be involved in it.

Let's get rocking!!!!

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark Two!

Written By: skittlesking on 09/13/07 at 3:39 pm

I am in!

Written By: Matthias on 09/13/07 at 4:02 pm

I suppose since I'm leading it, I'm in too

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/14/07 at 1:51 am

Oh sheesh not this again!

Of course, I am in. Someone call the Loony Bin already.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/07 at 8:07 am

oh sheesh. Is this the other reason you gave up on the musical, M.? ;)

sheesh, I'm in, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Written By: Matthias on 09/14/07 at 9:25 am

Sweet... We're getting people. That makes me happy. Hopefully the originator will be able to participate  ;)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/14/07 at 5:21 pm

Im in!

Written By: Matthias on 09/16/07 at 7:02 pm

Anybody else want to join?

I'm hoping to get eight people to join in on this, although Dave tells me that he wants ten.

I think ten is pushing it a bit, and I doubt that ten people will be able to join, but hopefully eight.

Please!
Please!
Please!!!

Written By: Matthias on 09/17/07 at 9:50 am

I'll wait till Thursday, because I have to leave on Friday and won't have Internet connection for the weekend to get all finalized contestants. The question is.... Should I run this contest if it's only us five? This is up to you guys..... Like I said I don't really mind it, but I would like to see more people join in. If that's impossible for any  reason... Should I start it or not?

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/17/07 at 9:57 am

I'll wait till Thursday, because I have to leave on Friday and won't have Internet connection for the weekend to get all finalized contestants. The question is.... Should I run this contest if it's only us five? This is up to you guys..... Like I said I don't really mind it, but I would like to see more people join in. If that's impossible for any  reason... Should I start it or not?

Screw it if it's only 5...we are lucky to have more than 5 in any given Artistry...it's not as much fun trying to delineate the ranks between 5 players when we only have a 5pt rating scale. :-[

Written By: Matthias on 09/17/07 at 9:59 am

True enough...

But like I said.... Thursday

I'm hoping here, I'm hoping

Written By: skittlesking on 09/17/07 at 11:13 am

True enough...

But like I said.... Thursday

I'm hoping here, I'm hoping

I'm with Agri, anything like that is just---no--I mean, 8 or more that way at least getting a podium will mean something, plus I think we can get 8 or 10 (I really prefer 10) if we try to promote it. . .the good thing about Artistry is it can use old songs too, and since it seems the rounds no one has done are coming up early, that leaves ones everyone has done later---ABC similarly is usually old songs. . .so I think we can get enough people to compete, we just have to give it time, let it go a little longer than Thursday, Contact individuals that you'd like to see enter, some will turn it down, sure, but then contact more--I bet if you wanted to get ten people involved, you could if you tried ;)

I would help you, but after a rather 'sick' weekend, I am behind on my many endeavors and still have not found a job that pays my bills so merely participating is difficult, but I agree--5 people isn't enough to make it worth it, what if someone misses a round?  I mean, that's just too small of a number.

Written By: jreuben on 09/17/07 at 6:09 pm

Okay Matthias, yeeve convinced me  :)   I'm in.  (6 is a better number than 5?)

Written By: Matthias on 09/17/07 at 7:27 pm

It's a much better number, because that means I can convince people! Bwa ha ha ha!!! (Plus since 5 is the voting scale we use there will be the one person we didn't vote for which isn't that bad, so it's do-able)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 09/17/07 at 8:41 pm

OK I'm a sucker for punishment... count me in. Can't guarantee I can participate all the time, but I'll certainly try.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/18/07 at 5:47 am

I saw this and thought....eeerrrm. But after two kind invitations, I've decided "why the heck not?": as I created the freakin' thing, it would be churlish of me not to throw my hat in the ring for Mk II. So...OK, I'm in (and already regretting it  ;))

Written By: Syncronos on 09/18/07 at 9:22 am

*reads description*  ??? I think you all are insane.

I'm HOME! Yeah, I'm in!

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 9:35 am

(Who would think that actually inviting people would work?)  ;D :D

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 10:18 am

One more space to fill, and then the torture can commence...

http://www.wroughtironsmith.com/images/torture-chamber.jpg

Written By: philbo on 09/18/07 at 10:25 am

I guess it works... timings are a bit odd for me at the moment, but I'll do my best to be on time for things.  Just as long as I don't have to fill ^that space

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark Two! (Any last minute inquiries?)

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 10:27 am

Awesome the 10 spaces are filled... Now calling all last minutes inquiries on the Decathlon Train!!!

If nobody else enters by tomorrow... I'll begin the pain!!!

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark Two! (Calling all last minute inquiries!)

Written By: philbo on 09/18/07 at 11:46 am

BTW, what's the Decathlon, anyway?

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 11:50 am

BTW, what's the Decathlon, anyway?

The Decathlon is a 20 week event that features 10 different genres with a topic for each genre picked at random. Every two weeks a new topic and genre will be drawn from a hat, and a voting thread will be in place. You have those 2 weeks to both vote, and writing a new song from that topic and genre.

Written By: jreuben on 09/18/07 at 12:54 pm

Once you promised me that case of beer, it was a no-brainer!

Written By: Arwen on 09/18/07 at 1:07 pm

Ohhh... :\'(

I wish I had seen this a couple of days ago...I would have loved to play again...are you closing it at 10 people?

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 1:14 pm

Ohhh... :\'(

I wish I had seen this a couple of days ago...I would have loved to play again...are you closing it at 10 people?

No, Come on in Arwen!
I thought you would be too busy!
I would love to have you!!!

Written By: philbo on 09/18/07 at 1:32 pm

The Decathlon is a 20 week event that features 10 different genres with a topic for each genre picked at random. Every two weeks a new topic and genre will be drawn from a hat, and a voting thread will be in place. You have those 2 weeks to both vote, and writing a new song from that topic and genre.

Run like a SOTM competition where each competitor has to vote on favourite entries?

You might want to consider rephrasing that...

;)

Written By: skittlesking on 09/18/07 at 2:42 pm

Yay, I Get to see the Super Arwen everyone talks about:)  (Doing the SOTM website, I've seen a lot of your classics), can't wait this contest is awesome Phil Alexander, Kristof Robertson, Mikey Squirrel, Agrimorfee, Matthias, Arwen, Jeff Reuben, Conqueror, Syncronos, Jack Wilson & Below Average Dave!

PS

Matthias has contacted me about building a website for this contest similar to the Artistry one, I have agreed, though there will be slight differences. . .This will be fun  :D

Written By: Arwen on 09/18/07 at 3:36 pm

No, Come on in Arwen!
I thought you would be too busy!

Hooray!!

I actually AM super busy...but I need something like this to remind me to have some fun...I loved the last Decathlon...talk about receiving inspiration under pressure...

Written By: Arwen on 09/18/07 at 3:37 pm

Yay, I Get to see the Super Arwen everyone talks about:) 

As long as they're still talking about me, I'm happy... :)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/19/07 at 9:36 am

Having had time to think about it, I'm actually now looking forward to this!

One suggestion, Matty....as the contest spans Christmas and New Years, you might want to think about extending that round to 4 weeks. I know it'll add two weeks onto the end of the comp, but it may be worth it

p.s. great first round topic/genre!

Written By: Matthias on 09/19/07 at 9:43 am

Having had time to think about it, I'm actually now looking forward to this!

One suggestion, Matty....as the contest spans Christmas and New Years, you might want to think about extending that round to 4 weeks. I know it'll add two weeks onto the end of the comp, but it may be worth it

p.s. great first round topic/genre!

Yeah, I'll give you guys a break around Christmas and New Years, probably make it 3 or 4 weeks, because a lot of people will be out of town then.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/19/07 at 9:56 am

evil angel:      You're gonna miss out, Stu! Everybody else is in...
good angel:    Don't listen to evil angel Stu! - you're WAY too busy!
evil angel:      You'll be watchin from the sidelines! - you're gonna regrit it!
good angel:    Have a nice warm cup of tea and go help the homeless....

hmm, looks like the evil angel is starting to get the upper hand, Matty :-\\

so when is the deadline for "last minute enquiries"?
oh, alright, I'm in... ???

(how does evil angel always manage to DO that???)

Written By: Matthias on 09/19/07 at 10:00 am

evil angel:       You're gonna miss out, Stu! Everybody else is in...
good angel:    Don't listen to evil angel Stu! - you're WAY too busy!
evil angel:       You'll be watchin from the sidelines! - you're gonna regrit it!
good angel:    Have a nice warm cup of tea and go help the homeless....

hmm, looks like the evil angel is starting to get the upper hand, Matty :-\\

so when is the deadline for "last minute enquiries"?
oh, alright, I'm in... ???

(how does evil angel always manage to DO that???)

Well... Since it's you Stu come on in, but lock the door behind you and put up barricades, and hand me that gun so no more last minute stragglers can come in.

Written By: Matthias on 09/19/07 at 10:02 am

I honestly think that this is the most people in one competition that wasn't SOTM, or ABC ever! Awesome!!!

Written By: Syncronos on 09/19/07 at 12:53 pm

*walks in with a goat under his arm, wearing a hockey mask, and holding a turkey baster* So when does this shindig get under way!?

Check for new replies or respond here...