inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 11 (The Skyhooks) Entry Deadline 9/27

Written By: skittlesking on 09/14/07 at 2:50 am

Um. . .nothing cute here, The Skyhooks came up in my WMA, and I've only recently heard of them (as in when they were nominated)
http://www.badave.com/artists/artistry/pics/skyhooks.jpg

Women in Uniform

This is My City

All My Friends Are Getting Married

Smut

Ego is Not A Dirty Word

Party to End All Parties

Saturday Night

Horror Movie

Bondage on the Boulevard

Trouble With the Computer

Blue Jeans

Million Dollar Riff

Whatever Happened to the Revolution

Carlton

Do the Hook

Life in the Modern World

Private Eye

The Other Side

Love on the Radio

Why Don't You All Get F**ked

Living in the Seventies

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 11 (The Skyhooks) Entry Deadline 9/27

Written By: Matthias on 09/14/07 at 7:47 am

... Crap

(Oh, and you listed "Privet Eye" twice)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/07 at 8:07 am

Can anyone tell me who the hell these guys are? And who the hell nominated them?  :o

Written By: Matthias on 09/14/07 at 8:25 am

I'll do "Who's Skyhooks" to "Do The Hook"

Written By: Syncronos on 09/14/07 at 8:30 am

Um...I went with you on Sugar Ray and Evanescence. Who the hell are these guys?

Oh well...let's see what we can do...

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/07 at 8:36 am

I have posted a query about The Skyhooks at "the place I hang out at too much", and will share my findings with you all.

Written By: Matthias on 09/14/07 at 8:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

This is what I'm going to use for my inspiration as I write "Charlie The Unicorn" to "Women In Uniform"

Written By: skittlesking on 09/14/07 at 9:11 am

I believe it was "Josh2" who nominated them. . .but I'm not sure. . .I really have never heard of them. . .I too will do my best, this is one of those rounds that will really test our skills I guess:)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/14/07 at 9:43 am

Can anyone tell me who the hell these guys are? And who the hell nominated them?  :o

Your in-house Aussie music expert to the rescue....

Skyhooks were a very popular Aussie glam-rock band from the mid 70's.... Here's their Wikipedia page. Any Aussie over the age of 30 will know them very well. As to "who the hell nominated them?" as Agri so elegantly put it- well, it wasn't me! (Although I DO fit the suspect profile frighteningly well....)

:D

p.s. If you DO decide to take the 'Hooks on, I'd suggest tackling (from Dave's list) 1 of the following 4 tracks, which were MASSIVE hits in Australia...

Million Dollar Riff
All My Friends Are Getting Married
Ego Is Not A Dirty Word
Horror Movie

(I might have a go meself...)

p.p.s. this got me thinking about fame and how it's viewed depending on where you're from. It's not an exaggeration to say that American bands who "make it big" in the US tend to become world-famous. To a significantly lesser extent the same can occur for UK acts. However, in countries with a smaller, but no less thriving and interesting music scene (e.g. Australia, New Zealand) bands can be enormously successful in their home countries but pretty much unheard of anywhere else. Skyhooks are the case in point... NOBODY in Australia in the 70s did not know who Skyhooks were...NOBODY (even my grandmother, who stopped listening to new music in the mid-50s, knew who Skyhooks were). They were THAT famous....in Australia. Yet the virtual blank looks from my American buddies here proves how narrow that huge fame was.
Be interested to here your views.....

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/07 at 10:51 am

Somebody once made me a mix CD of Australian bands...I had heard, of course, of Midnight Oil and The Church, but there were many others that I had not heard of (and I had no idea Nick Cave was Australian at the time, either). Don't recall if Skyhooks were on that mix (they were primarily 80s and 90s bands anyway)

Thanks Kristof! (didn't know you were an Aussie either!) :o

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/14/07 at 11:18 am

whoa!! Skyhooks!! What the??  :o

I nearly fell of my chair seeing them listed here - must have been bobpie that nominated them

Skyhooks are probably Australia's biggest band ever.  First album was in 1974 I think, and they broke new ground by writing about Australia, instead of copying US or UK like every other Aussie band until them.  Then of course, everyone followed them, and so INXS, Midnight Oil, Nick Cave (sort of), Paul Kelly, Crowded House, Men At Work, and all the other Aussie bands of the 80s, 90s, are all indebted to Skyhooks for daring to define a unique Aussie sound.  Everything Skyhooks did turned to gold in the mid-seventies.  They were great for TV - very theatrical and camp - and were very in-your-face for the time - before punk.

They tried to break it into US on a tour there in 1976 I think, but it bombed - too Australian.

My neighbour about 18 doors up is Red Symons, who is the guy bottom right in the picture on Dave's post - he's now Melbourne's second top breakfast radio announcer.  He's "Mr Red" in a mens group I run where every member is named after a colour like in Reservoir Dogs, and we all just get ourselves drunk and talk crap once a month.  My website for that is here - called "Reclaim The Pants"

Skyhooks lead singer Shirley (really Graham) Strachan killed himself in a helicopter crash about 10 years ago (those rock stars just keep inventing new ways don't they?)

Some of their stuff was great in the 70s - obviously dated now - Horror Movie would be their biggest hit, then maybe "Carlton" named after the suburb that my bar happens to be in - they were all local university lads from around Carlton where Melbourne Uni is.

wow - I might have to have a go myself,  Kristof - my fave song is "Women In Uniform" but Matthias has nailed a perfect sub for that which would be hard to beat - next biggest hit would be "Egio Is Not A Dirty Word" - I might try that.

It will be amusing seeing what the Americans and others make of them :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/07 at 12:17 pm

Having perused some of the tunes here, "Ego Is Not A Dirty Word" will be mine, I think.

(The lead singer looks and sounds like Leo Sayer! ;D)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/14/07 at 5:13 pm

Thanks Kristof and Stu for telling us. Too bad Reclaim the Pants isnt a song, I almost had an idea for a second!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/14/07 at 5:18 pm

Trouble With the Computer?
\
That doesnt need a title change....unless they were talking about spam, slow running computers in the 70s

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/14/07 at 8:36 pm

whoa!! Skyhooks!! What the??   :o

I nearly fell of my chair seeing them listed here - must have been bobpie that nominated them

No, it wasn't me! Primarily because I've never heard of them either. I checked with my Dad to see if he'd heard of them - judging by his recall of all the members of the band, the detail of the cover of on of their albums, and his impromptu rendition of 'Ego is Not A Dirty Word', I think he's heard of them.

I'll have a whack at this. I'll probably take 'Smut' or 'Blue Jeans'.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/14/07 at 10:31 pm

Living inThe Seventies

was their first big hit and also the name of their first album, which was Australia's biggest selling album of the seventies.

so I'll do "Living In The Seventies"

Can you add that link to your list Dave?

Written By: skittlesking on 09/15/07 at 2:10 pm

Living inThe Seventies

was their first big hit and also the name of their first album, which was Australia's biggest selling album of the seventies.

so I'll do "Living In The Seventies"

Can you add that link to your list Dave?

Sure :)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/16/07 at 3:38 am

Just in case anybody cares, I shotgun/bags/dibs/no-one-else-do-it-or-you're-dog-meat doing 'Smut', and it shall be called 'Phut' about a computer going kapootski.

And I should mention...I'll have to write it (and vote on Evanescence) pretty damn quickly, as I'll be going on a three-day school trip to Melbourne next week. I should wake up on Friday to see the results.

Written By: Rex on 09/16/07 at 10:42 am

Just in case anybody cares, I shotgun/bags/dibs/no-one-else-do-it-or-you're-dog-meat doing 'Smut', and it shall be called 'Phut' about a computer going kapootski.

Several folks have claimed OS's as "theirs" not just for this comp but for other comps as well. Dave, is there any rule about reserving a contest OS for your use only? If there is, I need to claim one before they're all gone.

Written By: skittlesking on 09/16/07 at 5:03 pm

Several folks have claimed OS's as "theirs" not just for this comp but for other comps as well. Dave, is there any rule about reserving a contest OS for your use only? If there is, I need to claim one before they're all gone.

LOL, no of course not, I tend to avoid ones I know someone else is doing, but you most certainly don't have to claim a song, nor is a claimed song protected from being parodied by another person. . .it's just people's way of saying that they want to do this song. . .I don't believe I've ever claimed a song myself to be honest--cause I'm never sure until I write it anyway.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/17/07 at 8:38 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/theskyhooks0.shtml
http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/cheetos-girl.jpg

EDIT I second Dave's comments above...I never lay exclusive claim on an OS in competition.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/17/07 at 8:56 am

Just a small point everyone......

The name of the band is just "Skyhooks".....there is, AFAIA, no "The" in front. (Stu, being a true-blue Melburnian, should have the definitive answer)

:)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/17/07 at 9:09 am

The name of the band is just "Skyhooks".....there is, AFAIA, no "The" in front. (Stu, being a true-blue Melburnian, should have the definitive answer)

Just like The Styx and The Pink Floyd... ;D

Written By: Matthias on 09/17/07 at 9:55 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/theskyhooks0.shtml
http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/cheetos-girl.jpg

EDIT I second Dave's comments above...I never lay exclusive claim on an OS in competition.

Hot goth chicks love cheetos? I've got to write that down...

Written By: skittlesking on 09/17/07 at 11:08 am

Just like The Styx and The Pink Floyd... ;D

Hmm interesting, I knew Pink Floyd was just Pink Floyd, but I didn't know Styx was just Styx (Skyhooks was nominated as "The Skyhooks" so that was an accident on my part--they were listed as both names in many places). . .interesting tidbits of info. . .I know "The Beatles" go by "The Beatles", I guess to each band a different preference.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/17/07 at 12:05 pm

Hmm interesting, I knew Pink Floyd was just Pink Floyd,

I was just goofing around with that, as Pink Floyd was publicly referred to in their early days as The Pink Floyd Sound, then The Pink Floyd, but finally dropped the "The" when Piper At The Gates of Dawn was released.

Written By: Rex on 09/17/07 at 2:23 pm

However, you'll always be "THE Kristof Robertson" to me.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/17/07 at 4:50 pm

The name of the band is just "Skyhooks".....Stu, being a true-blue Melburnian, should have the definitive answer

hmm, got me there, Kristof....

I'm almost sure you're right, and thankfully when I checked my post on this thread, "Skyhooks" was how I referred to them.  However I'm also sure I've been guilty of referring to them as "The Skyhooks" sometimes in my life by mistake, so I certainly can't claim any high ground there.

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 4:29 pm

I'm also doing a parody of "Living In The 70's"... I don't think going against Stuart is a good idea, but it's the only idea I had for this band.... Damn, These guys are hard!

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/07 at 8:27 pm

http://subwaysurfer.com/wp-content/old%20toothless%20geezer%20color.jpg

"Living Like I'm 70"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/skyhooks2.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/21/07 at 2:12 am

Okay, so I'm putting this in a day after it went up (from my point of view anyway) but who cares!

http://www.lukasland.com/humour/Visual-Nice/Computing-01/Frustrated.jpg

Phut!

Written By: Rex on 09/24/07 at 9:11 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/skyhooks5.shtml

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/25/07 at 7:49 pm

Living In The Seventies (in hindsight)

to "Living In The Seventies"

Written By: skittlesking on 09/26/07 at 3:24 pm

Um, mine should be up tomorrow. . .

I officially enter "All My Friends Are Looking Scary"

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/27/07 at 11:53 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/skyhooks7.shtml

Written By: skittlesking on 09/28/07 at 2:17 am

Sorry Guys, ran out of energy tonight, standings will be posted early tomorrow. . .

For those who wonder. . "The Who" was the random WMP Artist for the next round. . .

Written By: Syncronos on 09/28/07 at 10:56 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/conf.gif

Good LORD! What the heck am I going to do?!

Um...Deadpool again? *simultaneous NOS ring out from the populace* OK, OK...

I'm going to do a parody of Women in Uniform. It didn't post today, but it should be in tomorrow. No one has voted yet, but if they do, so be it.

Check for new replies or respond here...