inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decathlon: Mark Two (Event 2) [Entries due: 10/17]

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 10:12 am

Decathlon: Mark 2
Event 2

http://yfinder.de/random/holysheesh.jpg

Genre: Teen Pop
Topic: The Big Screen

The Rules

1. Entry URLs to be posted onto this thread from the Amiright site

2. Entries must conform to both the topic and time specifications...if in doubt, ask.

3. Topics are not limited to the decade, they are two separate parts

4. On October 17th the entries close and the voting begins

5. Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order: 
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

6. You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

7. DKTOS, is not allowed as a comment whilest voting

8. Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

9. Voting continues until Halloween

10. By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

11. Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the deadline is disqualified and may not participate in the next event.

12. If you miss a submission deadline, you will not be entered in that event, but WILL be allowed to enter the next event.
However, there will STILL be an expectation that you comment and vote in the event you are not participating in, unless you have a valid reason for not being able to.

13. Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that event's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

Scoring: Like the rules, the scoring is similar to the to the Ages, awarding the winner first place, with 10 points. Person who comes in 2nd,  Points and so on, and so forth...

HAVE FUN!!!

Submittions Are Due: October 17th

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark Two (Event 2)

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 10:13 am

This has to be the easist selection of Genre and Topic ever! Thank God! Last round was painful.  :)

Written By: philbo on 10/03/07 at 10:25 am

I'm going to sound really old & curmudgeonly, but what constitutes "Teen Pop" - is that pop that teens listen to, or that which is performed by teens?

I mean, are we talking Avril Lavigne, Britney, Fratellis, Take That-sort-of-thing?  (Or is Avril too old to be counted as "Teen"?)

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 10:31 am

I'm going to sound really old & curmudgeonly, but what constitutes "Teen Pop" - is that pop that teens listen to, or that which is performed by teens?

I mean, are we talking Avril Lavigne, Britney, Fratellis, Take That-sort-of-thing?  (Or is Avril too old to be counted as "Teen"?)

Performed by Teens, and Avril's earlier stuff would be teen pop... Stuff like "Sk8er Boi" and "Complicated"

Written By: philbo on 10/03/07 at 11:06 am

Just a thought then: songs from High School Musical?  (They've been playing in the background quite a bit recently.. even if for a while I did think they were talking about "Ice Cool" Musical)... possibly a bit too cheesy, though ;)

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 11:35 am

"Ice Cool" Musical would work  ;)

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 12:00 pm

Phil here's a list and description of Teen Pop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_pop

Written By: Syncronos on 10/03/07 at 12:16 pm

Are we limiting this to recent songs, or can we use teen songs from any decade? For instance, could we use some of the earlier Jackson 5, or perhaps even some of the earlier musings of NKOTB- before we all realized how uncool we were for knowing the words to Hanging Tough.

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 12:18 pm

Are we limiting this to recent songs, or can we use teen songs from any decade? For instance, could we use some of the earlier Jackson 5, or perhaps even some of the earlier musings of NKOTB- before we all realized how uncool we were for knowing the words to Hanging Tough.

As long as it's performed by teenagers it's open

Written By: skittlesking on 10/03/07 at 1:20 pm

Britney, Christina, J-Lo, BSB, N Sync, Spice Girls etc. . .Teen Pop

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/03/07 at 1:47 pm

Too bad the theme's not food, I have an old NSYNXC parody I did

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 3:51 pm

Never heard of The Fratellis... Intresting little band there

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/03/07 at 6:27 pm

Hmmm... what about older stuff like the Bay City Rollers or even Ritchie Valens? How about the Grease soundtrack? Or even Little Eva (The Loco-Motion). There could be alot under this category.

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 7:12 pm

Ritchie Valens is Rock N' Roll and not Pop. Right age, wrong genre.

Bay City Rollers are fine
Little Eva is fine

Grease is Showtunes and Broadway

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/03/07 at 7:32 pm

I love it when there's a REALLY easy round after an absolute BIATCH of a round. Like last time's Traditional round coming afer Rap. Dayamn!

Anyways, I think I'll do 'Summer Love' by JT into 'Sequel Love'.

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/07 at 10:09 pm

I love it when there's a REALLY easy round after an absolute BIATCH of a round. Like last time's Traditional round coming afer Rap. Dayamn!

Anyways, I think I'll do 'Summer Love' by JT into 'Sequel Love'.

Or perhaps Britney Spear's "Crap! They Did It Again" (Although that would work better for all of those crappy remakes)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/03/07 at 11:48 pm

Ah! Just remember this SexyBack one I already have
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/justintimberlake59.shtml

Written By: philbo on 10/04/07 at 5:03 am

Never heard of The Fratellis... Intresting little band there

There's one song in particular that my children play a lot, called for some inexplicable reason "Whistle for the Choir"... I've been thinking of writing something to it, as it's got an unusual and atypically-interesting rhythm and rhyme scheme.  So I've done a "big screen" parody of if, which should turn up later today.

Written By: Matthias on 10/04/07 at 7:08 am

There's one song in particular that my children play a lot, called for some inexplicable reason "Whistle for the Choir"... I've been thinking of writing something to it, as it's got an unusual and atypically-interesting rhythm and rhyme scheme.  So I've done a "big screen" parody of if, which should turn up later today.

Wow... Talk about an instant turn around time

Written By: philbo on 10/04/07 at 7:32 am

Wow... Talk about an instant turn around time

Funny thing is, I wrote that post saying "maybe I'll do a "big screen" parody to it", then the plot idea caught (yes, there's even a plot :)), and with the exception of a couple of lines it came out in one flow, say ten minutes or so.  So I changed the post before posting.  Though I will admit that quite a few of the subs had been sitting in the (sub)conscious for weeks, waiting for the write to start.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/04/07 at 7:57 am

Matthias, please update the due dates on the splash page.

This one is gonna take some real thinking...I usually don't "do" "pop" songs.  :D

Written By: philbo on 10/04/07 at 8:10 am

This one is gonna take some real thinking...I usually don't "do" "pop" songs.  :D

Me neither... but some are easier than others (and having children playing the modern stuff all the time gives a bit of a head start).  Here we go, anyway:

Whistle 'Cause She's Dire

Written By: skittlesking on 10/04/07 at 9:30 am

Need I remind you that you did the ENTIRE Immaculate Collection by Madonna?????

I would call that Pop:)

And even Teen Pop at that.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/04/07 at 9:37 am

Need I remind you that you did the ENTIRE Immaculate Collection by Madonna?????

I would call that Pop:)

And even Teen Pop at that.

Madonna "teen pop">>>>>>>>>teen pop of now.  :P  :D

Written By: Matthias on 10/04/07 at 10:12 am

Prince is like the King of Pop! C'mon!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/04/07 at 10:21 am

;)
I thought that was Michael Jackson...but anyway, it all goes to prove that yesterday's Paul Anka is the next day's Osmond Brothers is the next day's Tiffany is the next day's Ashlee Simpson...

Written By: skittlesking on 10/04/07 at 10:33 am

Yeah Matthias. . >Prince is the Prince of Pop--not the King

And he certainly looks like he could be MJ's son. . .scary thought

Written By: skittlesking on 10/04/07 at 10:33 am

;)
I thought that was Michael Jackson...but anyway, it all goes to prove that yesterday's Paul Anka is the next day's Osmond Brothers is the next day's Tiffany is the next day's Ashlee Simpson...

Only you could connect Paul Anka to Ashlee Simpson

Written By: philbo on 10/04/07 at 10:36 am

Well, he beats Michael Jackson, easily ;)

Written By: skittlesking on 10/04/07 at 10:38 am

Well, he beats Michael Jackson, easily ;)

Woah, that was a knock out, 140 Million to 64, That's not even a fight

Written By: skittlesking on 10/04/07 at 10:39 am

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Below+Average+Dave&word2=Phil+Alexander

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Below+Average+Dave&word2=Matthias+Parodies

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Phil+Alexander&word2=Matthias+Parodies

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Phil+Alexander&word2=Kristof+Robertson

Well that was different.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/04/07 at 7:44 pm

Or perhaps Britney Spear's "Crap! They Did It Again" (Although that would work better for all of those crappy remakes)

That could work...though I'll stick with JT.

Written By: Matthias on 10/04/07 at 8:48 pm

I have a couple of ideas...

1. "Me Against The Movies" by Britney Spears (A song about everything I don't like about the movies)
2. "Hate That Ben Stiller" by The Plain White T's (A song the actor I hate most of all)

I think I'm probably going to go with "Me Against The Movies" because it's more epic, but I might play around with making fun of Ben just for the Hell of it.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/08/07 at 7:28 pm

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/217/4/4/This_Time_We_Just_Ain__t_Trying_by_Jochimus.jpg

Sequel Love

Youtube vid for 'Summer Love' by JT

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/09/07 at 10:16 am

Matthias,where's your post with Since You're King Kong?

Written By: Matthias on 10/09/07 at 10:25 am

I deleted it, because I'm going to work on a parody instead of copping out and doing an old one.
I'm working on a parody about the movie "Shaun of the Dead" from the mind of a zombie (Do zombie's have minds?)

http://macteens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10104/zombie.jpg

Anyways... Before the end of the week be prepared to read "Zombie's Plea" a parody of Pink's "Don't Let Me Get Me"

Written By: Matthias on 10/10/07 at 1:18 pm

Luckily we have 2 weeks, this is a much tougher round than I originally thought...

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/07 at 2:11 pm

(Do zombie's have minds?)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/prince68.shtml  ;)

This round is just as hard as I expected it...

Written By: skittlesking on 10/11/07 at 4:03 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/madonna99.shtml

I was going to write something new . . . but "Like the Craft" got over looked by a few people who hadn't seen "The Craft" back when it was first used, and I think that if anyone has seen The Craft they'll realize how much work I put into this epic parody of Like A Prayer. . .I just am not a big fan of movies, and I have done parodies about the two I really enjoyed. . .So my entry, barring my mind feeling I could beat Like The Craft (unlikely--I think it's one of my best writes to date) that is my entry.

Written By: Matthias on 10/11/07 at 4:26 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/madonna99.shtml

I was going to write something new . . . but "Like the Craft" got over looked by a few people who hadn't seen "The Craft" back when it was first used, and I think that if anyone has seen The Craft they'll realize how much work I put into this epic parody of Like A Prayer. . .I just am not a big fan of movies, and I have done parodies about the two I really enjoyed. . .So my entry, barring my mind feeling I could beat Like The Craft (unlikely--I think it's one of my best writes to date) that is my entry.

No "Girlfriend"? You have a week to go Dave...

Written By: skittlesking on 10/11/07 at 4:38 pm

No "Girlfriend"? You have a week to go Dave...

We'll see

My favorite movie is "The Craft" .. .and I'm not a big movie fan. 

"Like a Prayer" is probably the third most epic song I've done, it's almost 6 minutes of Madonna--and it was a dang good parody, "Curbside Prophet" obviously makes "Like A Prayer" seem like a day in the park, and sure "Crazy in Love" is far more challenging, but outside those two--this is the toughest parody I've done. . .I'll see. . .I like teen pop--I hate movies, and I already have three movie/tv type parodies (at least--I mean off hand I know there's Don't Sleep, Like the Craft and Squinting in the Dark (which was also written for a contest)). . .I'll think about it, but every parody idea I'm coming up with for movies keeps treading towards negative and list parodies, which you know how I am when it comes to list parodies. . .but I'll think about it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/11/07 at 4:52 pm

Dave, try to make a general movie spoof instead of a specific movie...that's what I ended up doing.

Written By: Matthias on 10/11/07 at 5:02 pm

Or you could do it about a certain job within the movies... That's what I'm going to do. Doing a synopsis is very challageing, I found that out when I tried to do "Zombie's Theme"

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 9:09 am

In This Sucky Movie
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/hannahmontana2.shtml  :D
http://www.disabilityisnatural.com/images/DVDPic.jpg
(Video link included on the page)

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark Two (Event 2) [Entries due: 10/17]

Written By: Matthias on 10/14/07 at 4:28 pm

Finally came up with an idea... That I actually did.... And it shall be posted on Monday...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/109/007_MENINBLACK_GUN~Men-in-Black-With-Guns-Posters.jpg

Written By: Matthias on 10/14/07 at 6:13 pm

Where the heck is everybody?
We only have parodies from...

1. Phil Alexander
2. Conquerer_of_Parodies
3. Agrimorfee
AND
4. Jack Wilson

Where are you???
Where are you Kristof Robertson?
Where are you Stuart McArthur?
Where are you Arwen?
Where are you Jeff Reuben?
Where are you Mikey Squirrel?
Where are you Syncronos?
Where are you Below Average Dave?

Don't want to bug you guys, but we only have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday....  :\'(

Written By: Arwen on 10/15/07 at 12:32 am

Okay...I'm working on it...just so you all know.  I have to say, however, that I'm pretty surprised by the "Teen Pop" that has made its way into this round.  Apparently my definition of teen pop is different from a lot of other folks. 

I, however, am the one with an entry at all...so perhaps I should just shut my yapper... :)

Written By: skittlesking on 10/15/07 at 12:45 am

1. Phil Alexander
2. Conquerer_of_Parodies
3. Agrimorfee
AND
4. Jack Wilson

Where are you???
Where are you Arwen?
Where are you Syncronos?

Don't want to bug you guys, but we only have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday....  :\'(

Now, Now. . .I have a pacer entered, I'm not completely out the loop. . .:)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/15/07 at 12:51 am

I need to know...
Would The Monkees count in this round?
Please say yes....

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 7:17 am

I need to know...
Would The Monkees count in this round?
Please say yes....

Although they come from California, They have a very British Invasion sound to them. I don't think I would accept them in this round, but perhaps they can be the U.K from Cali in that round.

It needs to have a certain "Pop" to be Teen Pop.

Sorry, Mikey.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/15/07 at 8:20 am

1. Phil Alexander
2. Conquerer_of_Parodies
3. Agrimorfee
AND
4. Jack Wilson

Where are you???
Where are you Arwen?
Where are you Syncronos?

well sorry Matty, I've never defaulted before, but I am struggling here

I don't know any of the songs of the teenbop artists listed (except Complicated and Oops!) so I knew I was up against it

then I wiki-ed Justin Timberlake and discovered the title "Cry Me A River" which I subbed to "Fry Me A Liver" for Silence Of The Lambs, which I thought would be a great source of humour, but I cannot get to first base even with the parody, even after familiarising myself with the OS

I'm not giving up yet, but I see the dark clouds descending on me.... :(

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/15/07 at 9:26 am

Matty said:This has to be the easist selection of Genre and Topic ever!

Don't know what you were thinking when you said that, big guy!  ??? ;D

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 9:47 am

Matty said:
Don't know what you were thinking when you said that, big guy!  ??? ;D

Errr.... Oops!  :-[

Well.... At first I thought that going with Michael Jackson for Teen Pop would be kinda cheating. Thinking that his songs were pretty popular, and thus rather easy to parody. I was wrong when I did "Black or White" there's a freaking rap section in there!!! So that's what I'm going with, and anybody else who wants to parody Michael can join me.

Written By: Arwen on 10/15/07 at 11:39 am

Although they come from California, They have a very British Invasion sound to them. I don't think I would accept them in this round, but perhaps they can be the U.K from Cali in that round.

It needs to have a certain "Pop" to be Teen Pop.

Sorry, Mikey.

And see, I would be more inclined to include The Monkees into this category than I would some of the artists that HAVE been approved.  Pop music, in my estimation, is WAY different than Teen Pop music...they aren't interchangeable. 

But...it's Mattias' call...

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 12:01 pm

And see, I would be more inclined to include The Monkees into this category than I would some of the artists that HAVE been approved.  Pop music, in my estimation, is WAY different than Teen Pop music...they aren't interchangeable. 

But...it's Mattias' call...

You do have a good point there Arwen...
Hmmmmmm...

Why did I create this genre?!?!?!  8-P

I'll leave it open to the public... What do you guys think?

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/15/07 at 1:00 pm

Really, if it were me, I would have let any original Top 40 tune recorded by anyone under age 21 in this category. I was going to for Richie Valens myself before you negated it...and I wouldn't have accepted Madonna or Justin Timberlake.

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 1:27 pm

Agrimorfee and Arwen are right
When I first put up the genre "Teen Pop" the artists I thought of were Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake... I suppose all artists that appealed to teens, when I said music that was by teens I should have kept it that way (Meaning that artists such as Justin Timberlake, and Madonna wouldn't be allowed) and I appoligize.
This is my fault, I was lead astray by talking to Below Average Dave over the phone and him telling me that "Teen Pop" should be "Bubblegum Pop", but that is only one man's take on it.
"Teen Pop" is a very open genre, and a very confusing genre as well. All popular music done by teenagers should have been the correct position to take on this, and I'm sorry to all of you I made confused.
I myself was confused.

From now on (Due to the lack of parodies) I'll accept anything as long as you can explain to me how your parody is indeed "Teen Pop"
I'm sorry.
:-[

Note:

I'll allow both "Pop" done by teens such as Phil's "The Fratellis" parody, and "Pop" that appeals to teens such as Agrimorfee's "Hannah Montana"

There... I think that'll make everybody happy

And Aggy if you still want to do that "Richie Valens" parody go ahead, or you can stay with your "Hannah Montana", I'm sorry that I didn't take this stance earlier...

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/15/07 at 1:49 pm

And Aggy if you still want to do that "Richie Valens" parody go ahead, or you can stay with your "Hannah Montana", I'm sorry that I didn't take this stance earlier...

No, no, I'm sticking with Hannah. That worked out a lot better than my original intention (but I might go back to it with some other direction).

Don't sweat it, Matthias. 8)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/15/07 at 2:45 pm

My Sexyback one still counts right?

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 3:42 pm

My Sexyback one still counts right?

I'll allow both "Pop" done by teens such as Phil's "The Fratellis" parody, and "Pop" that appeals to teens such as Agrimorfee's "Hannah Montana"

Yes

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/15/07 at 5:29 pm

From now on (Due to the lack of parodies) I'll accept anything as long as you can explain to me how your parody is indeed "Teen Pop"
I'm sorry.

So then.. is the Monkees okay for this one? They were actually supposed to be a 'teen' band and they definitely appealed to teens. That's my best explanation for this one.
If I can't use them, I'm really stuck here. And with the deadline looming, I don't think I can come up with anything else (my parody powers are depleting.. need recharging!) :P

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/15/07 at 5:32 pm

1. Phil Alexander
2. Conquerer_of_Parodies
3. Agrimorfee
AND
4. Jack Wilson

Where are you???
Where are you Arwen?
Where are you Syncronos?

Just about there, Matty....perfection does take a bit of time, y'know!  ;)

I, like Stu, struggled with the whole Teen Pop genre, and have binned 3 parodies that weren't working. But I think I'm on a winner, which will be up tomorrow, the Gods willing....

But hey, isn't it more exciting this way?  :D

Written By: Matthias on 10/15/07 at 6:23 pm

So then.. is the Monkees okay for this one? They were actually supposed to be a 'teen' band and they definitely appealed to teens. That's my best explanation for this one.
If I can't use them, I'm really stuck here. And with the deadline looming, I don't think I can come up with anything else (my parody powers are depleting.. need recharging!) :P

Lets see them...
http://www.free-slideshow.com/stock-photos/lovely_animals/clever-monkeys.jpg

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/15/07 at 7:10 pm

Thank you, Matthias! I should have it up tomorrow. ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/16/07 at 12:30 am

Well.... At first I thought that going with Michael Jackson for Teen Pop would be kinda cheating....I was wrong...So that's what I'm going with, and anybody else who wants to parody Michael can join me.

well if it's good enough for you, Matty - Decathlonmeister - it's definitely good enough for li'l ole me

teenpop: Michael Jackson
big screen:  Madonna's Movies

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00009NHAJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Play Madonna's Movies

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/16/07 at 7:37 am

well if it's good enough for you, Matty - Decathlonmeister - it's definitely good enough for li'l ole me

teenpop: Michael Jackson
big screen:  Madonna's Movies

Oh bugger...........

Start polishing that winner's acceptance speech now, Stu
;)

Written By: jreuben on 10/16/07 at 8:43 am

I'm submitting today, will post the name and all here, and update the link when it's up on themain site.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/16/07 at 9:34 am

Here's mine!

Scene Three, Take Three: One More Time...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3847832/2/istockphoto_3847832_angry_director.jpg

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

(Now I've gotta find time to vote for round 1...)

Written By: Arwen on 10/16/07 at 9:44 am

Here you go...my ode to my favorite Transformer, to a classic Teen Queen Debbie Gibson tune...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/debbiegibson1.shtml

Written By: Matthias on 10/16/07 at 10:29 am

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/movie/meninblack/men_in_black_3.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/michaeljackson32.shtml

Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGapuYUTOo

Written By: Matthias on 10/16/07 at 3:27 pm

???Let me know it the pictur shows up ^, OK?

No picture, and The Doors were teenagers? Did not know that.... And we're they rock, not pop?
Yeah, Wikipedia said "Blues Rock" as their genre... Don't know how old they were when they did this song. I knew The Monkees were a teen band, but not quite sure about The Doors. If you can supply some information backing their teenage-ness Syncronos, I'll be happy to accept them, but right know I'm kinda iffy on this.

Once again...

What do you guys think?

Written By: Syncronos on 10/16/07 at 3:33 pm

I interpreted that as popular music that appealed to teens, and as such, 'The Doors' would fit the category...was I wrong in my interpretation?  :-\\

Written By: Matthias on 10/16/07 at 3:36 pm

I interpreted that as popular music that appealed to teens, and as such, 'The Doors' would fit the category...was I wrong in my interpretation?  :-\\

I'm not quite sure, I know teens of today's generation don't listen to 'The Doors'. At least not stereotypically, I'm sure teens do listen to them, but they don't appeal directly to teenagers, at least not in my knowledge.
But once again, I'll leave this open for interpertation...
Let's hear what you guys have to say...

Written By: Syncronos on 10/16/07 at 3:39 pm

So, 'Teen Pop' goes to the actual performers, not the group of people the music is targetting?

Written By: Matthias on 10/16/07 at 3:42 pm

So, 'Teen Pop' goes to the actual performers, not the group of people the music is targetting?

Were "The Doors" targeting teenagers specifically? I had no knowledge of this.
I don't want to sound rude, but this genre is very open, and I always thought of "The Doors" as more of a classic rock band, than a "Pop" or a "Teen" band.

Written By: Syncronos on 10/16/07 at 3:50 pm

Likewise, I'm not meaning to sound hostile. When I think of this song, I think of the opening sequence to the movie "The Lost Boys." Teenagers with blue hair running wild. But perhaps my interpretation of the genre is incorrect. No worries; I'll withdraw the entry and stitch together something else if need be.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/16/07 at 3:50 pm

Sorry Sync: but if we used your definition, we could include just about every song written in the last 50 years.

Wikipedia definition of teen pop:
"Teen pop is a genre of music which is marketed, but not exclusively, to preteens and teenagers."

About.com says:

"The backbone of teen pop music is a simple, straightforward, ultra-catchy melody line. It is almost always easy to singalong with a teen pop classic. The songs may incorporate elements of other pop music genres, but usually they will never be mistaken for anything but mainstream pop. The music is designed for maximum focus on the performer and a direct appeal to listeners."

Key words to think about are: catchy, lightweight, mainstream, simple....none of which could be associated with The Doors.

Written By: Syncronos on 10/16/07 at 3:52 pm

:-\\ Touche'. So be it. Entry withdrawn.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/16/07 at 5:14 pm

OK... finally, here it is... I've been Monkee-ing around with this one...

"Big Director"

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/32/71/22257132.jpg

The Parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/themonkees110.shtml
The Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHsJzYrZBg

The OS is not one of the Monkees' more popular songs, so you may want to check out the YouTube video. Not only do you hear the OS, but get treated to some classic Monkees TV show footage. What a deal!  :D

Written By: jreuben on 10/17/07 at 4:33 am

My song will be Airplane!  to the tune of I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys (link coming when it's up)

Written By: Syncronos on 10/17/07 at 8:07 am

Late night at work. I missed the entry deadline, so my participation in this round is dead. So it goes...

On to Mark 3 then.

Check for new replies or respond here...