inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: August/September Rollover POTM Voting Thread

Written By: philbo on 10/09/07 at 4:30 am

Welcome to the Performance of the Month AmIRight contest! Good luck to all contestants. . .this contest is open voting for all SOTM, POTM, and ABC current and past participants wether or not they have entered this contest.  The rules are fairly simple and mostly similar to other contests.  The difference, this contest is played with your ears instead of your eyes!

1. All voting will end promtly at the very end of the month.
2. All contestants currently in the POTM need to comment and vote on all contestants by that time
3. Failure to vote by the deadline will result in forfeit of your points
4. Failure to vote will result in a penalty of 20 points to be applied to the following month's contest (no DQs)
5. Once You've Voted, You can not change your vote UNLESS your vote was invalid
6.  In the event of a tie, procedures mentioned in the entry thread will be followed up to 10th place
7.  You can't vote for your own song
8. You can't vote for another song more than once in the same contest
9. You have 5 votes - 5 points for your first choice down to 1 for your fifth.
10. HAVE FUN
11. See rule 10.

In accordance with the votes from the entry thread, the rollover means that artists who submitted an entry for the previous month may change their entry, but may still only enter one performance.

A minimum of six entries is required for a contest to go ahead (thanks, Jack)

The August/September entries are:

#1 A.S.S.H.O.L.E. By Phil Alexander
    Comments

#2 Dagobah by Mikey Squirrel
    Comments

#3 That's My Cooking by Below Average Dave
    Comments

#4 Still Whack-A-Mole For Me by Jeff Reuben
    Comments

#5 Mime In Your Life by Matthias
    Comments

#6 Don't Tase Me Bro by Red Ant
    Comments

Subject: Re: August/September Rollover POTM Voting Thread

Written By: Red Ant on 10/17/07 at 1:11 pm

I've got comments ready for all parodies. Some notes before I post them: I rated each parody in 8 different categories on a 1-10 scale, 10 being best. These numbers do not scale to Amiright voting or categories: e.g., if you get a 6 for humor that doesn't mean I would have voted a 3 for the written parody.

Some of my comments may not be the most flattering, but I figured giving an honest critique on each piece would be better in the long run.

I'll vote later: I'm still trying to figure out how to rate videos to songs fairly.  :-\\

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 10/17/07 at 2:12 pm

Well, here goes:

5 points to Dave's cooking. Excellent all around
4 points to Jeff Whack A Mole. A real backing track would really bring this one to life.
3 points to Matthias Mime In Your Life
2 points to Mikey Squirrel Dagobah
1 point to Phil's A.S.S.H.O.L.E

There's not really a fair way to compare videos to songs. What I'm doing in the future is basing my votes on the song only (the performance). I still enjoy the videos, but I will not factor them into my vote (I did this time).

Good round everyone.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 10/30/07 at 9:05 am

For me, this has definitely been the hardest POTM to judge, I've had at least four "bests" so far.

5 points - #3 That's My Cooking by Below Average Dave
4 points - #4 Still Whack-A-Mole For Me by Jeff Reuben
3 points - #2 Dagobah by Mikey Squirrel
2 points - #6 Don't Tase Me Bro by Red Ant
1 point  - #5 Mime In Your Life by Matthias

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 10/30/07 at 6:49 pm

Well, all of you were so good, I'm giving you all votes. (hehe, I guess I kinda have to, right?) ::)

This was tough, but here's my votes..

5pts: Jeff's music to whack to
4pts: Dave's bistro
3pts: Matthias' mime time
2pts: Ant's bro show
1 pt: Phil's arse-um-hole.

Written By: Matthias on 10/30/07 at 9:58 pm

5 Points To: Below Average Dave (A great song I helped to create. What can I say?)
4 Points To: Jeff Reuben (But one thing... What the hell was with your voice on this one?)
3 Points To: Phil Alexander (Nice use of the redneck accent)
2 Points To: Mikey Squirrel (Less repetition in the song lyrics would have made this higher, I couldn't sit though the whole thing due to the damn repetition)
1 Point To: Red Ant (A bit taser happy in the end weren't we?)

Written By: skittlesking on 10/31/07 at 6:30 pm

1st, 5 Points to Phil Alexander: I thought it was very cute, very funny. . .

2nd, 4 Points to Matthias: Well, the video was just awesome all around

3rd, 3 Points to Jeff Reuben: Great lyrically, not necessarily your best work (though for some reason the first time I heard it I got a great kick out of it), but funny none-the-less

4th, 2 Points to Mikey Squirrel:  You know what was good and not so good about this one

5th, 1 Point to Red Ant: Thanks for helping us out, I liked the subbing use of the recorded "Don't Tase Me Bro" clips, but I think that overall this was more timely than funny. . .good job though on that end.

Written By: jreuben on 10/31/07 at 7:28 pm

5 pts:  Phil's A.S.S.H.O.L.E.
4 pts:  BAD's Cooking
3 pts:  Mikey's Gimmer Stick
2 pts:  Matthias' Mime
1 pt:  Red Ant's Taser

Written By: skittlesking on 10/31/07 at 11:16 pm

Final Results

1st Below Average Dave (23 Points)

2nd Jeff Reuben (20 Points)

3rd Phil Alexander (15 Points)

4th Matthias (13 Points)

5th Mikey Squirrel (12 Points)

6th Red Ant (7 Points)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 11/01/07 at 12:09 am

Congrats to Dave, Jeff and Phil. Thanks for all my votes, everyone.

Written By: philbo on 11/01/07 at 4:35 am

Ha!  Thanks for doing that, Dave - I've just added the same totals (the smaller compos are that bit easier, aren't they?  The last time I had to compile the results was a SOTM with over 20 entries), and then I got down to your post and found you'd done it already :)

And congratulations, Dave, Jeff and everybody - that was (IMO) one of the most enjoyable (and hardest to judge) POTMs yet.

Time to start a new entry thread, methinks.

Just a thought - do you reckon we ought to invite all of the recording artists who have submitted something last month but don't seem to realize this competition is here?  There's about another four or five possible entrants.

Written By: skittlesking on 11/01/07 at 9:05 am

Ha!  Thanks for doing that, Dave - I've just added the same totals (the smaller compos are that bit easier, aren't they?  The last time I had to compile the results was a SOTM with over 20 entries), and then I got down to your post and found you'd done it already :)

And congratulations, Dave, Jeff and everybody - that was (IMO) one of the most enjoyable (and hardest to judge) POTMs yet.

Time to start a new entry thread, methinks.

Just a thought - do you reckon we ought to invite all of the recording artists who have submitted something last month but don't seem to realize this competition is here?  There's about another four or five possible entrants.

Yes I think that's a great idea. . .to open up the comp a little.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/05/07 at 5:41 pm

Congrats Dave, Jeff and Phil! I like the idea of inviting those who have recorded but haven't/didn't enter.

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...