inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 17 (Moody Blues) Entry Deadline 12/20/2007

Written By: skittlesking on 12/07/07 at 9:26 pm

Moody Blues. . .Honestly they are new to me so I can't say a whole lot about them, but here's some help (Enter by 12/20/2007)

Your Wildest Dreams

Nights in White Satin

I Know You're Out There Somewhere

The Voice

Never Comes the Day

Ride My See Saw

Driftwood

Runnin' Out of Love

Tuesday Afternoon

The Story in Your Eyes

Question

I'm Just a Singer

I'll Go Crazy

No More Lies

Had to Fall in Love

Legend of a Mind

Gemini Dream

The Actor

Candel of Life

Talking out of Turn

Forever Autumn

Honestly, and I'm sure some people may post it for me. . .I don't know this band. . .at all--based on the dates of the videos I've found, they predate my existence by nearly two decades, and even their later works are generally a decade or so before I was born--I had never heard of them before they were suggested here, and I don't know what was a hit, if any of these were, and anyone can add their two cents about what was big, what some good songs are, great ones I may have missed--I'm being honest guys---I DO NOT KNOW WHO THIS IS

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 17 (Moody Blues) Entry Deadline 12/20/2007

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/07 at 9:37 pm

The Moody Blues have been around for 40 years. As far as I know, they still perform.

If I enter this round, it will definitely be a new write - I haven't done a MB parody in two and a half years.

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 12/07/07 at 11:56 pm

Fantastic!!! I'm already working on a Moody Blues parody for British Invasion, if I get that done I can submit it in both and kill two birds with one stone.
This is great... But I might get kinda bored, so I'll take a crack at another one perhaps.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/08/07 at 3:43 am

Honestly, and I'm sure some people may post it for me. . .I don't know this band. . .at all--based on the dates of the videos I've found, they predate my existence by nearly two decades, and even their later works are generally a decade or so before I was born--I had never heard of them before they were suggested here, and I don't know what was a hit, if any of these were, and anyone can add their two cents about what was big, what some good songs are, great ones I may have missed--I'm being honest guys---I DO NOT KNOW WHO THIS IS

If you think you're out of the know, how do you think I feel? I was born almost a decade after you, remember?

I guess I'll end up having a whack at this - just like with every other artist in Artistry so far (hey, it keeps me supplemented with parody ideas - school tends to block my creative juices).

Written By: skittlesking on 12/08/07 at 3:50 am

If you think you're out of the know, how do you think I feel? I was born almost a decade after you, remember?

I guess I'll end up having a whack at this - just like with every other artist in Artistry so far (hey, it keeps me supplemented with parody ideas - school tends to block my creative juices).

It can get difficult when artists come up you haven't even heard of, this isn't the first in the competition for either of us.  Then the ones do come up that you know, and you think you did a real good job, and you get mixed voting--but that's part of competition I guess. . .I'm going to try and do this round, it may be first bow out--I am working two jobs at the moment, and I haven't been performing up to the effort I put in lately, so I may need to take a writer's vacation. . .learning a new artist, doing D2, and keeping up with ABC, SOTM, POTM is really hard when you have no free time.  I'll try, but after "Cramps", which was a very taxing effort that--I won't say bombed--but didn't perform as well as I expected. . .I don't know what to do differently and to try and right a ship on an artist I don't know at all, we'll see--the good thing is you didn't really know Salt N Pepa either and you stuck it out, you are hanging tough, so I applaud you on that. . .I do know Salt N Pepa, I have their songs memorized  (grew up on them) . . .Aerosmith much the same, but then when my hours increase I draw "Moody Blues", one of several pre-me bands that I have never heard of. . .

Written By: Matthias on 12/08/07 at 8:28 am

It can get difficult when artists come up you haven't even heard of, this isn't the first in the competition for either of us.  Then the ones do come up that you know, and you think you did a real good job, and you get mixed voting--but that's part of competition I guess. . .I'm going to try and do this round, it may be first bow out--I am working two jobs at the moment, and I haven't been performing up to the effort I put in lately, so I may need to take a writer's vacation. . .learning a new artist, doing D2, and keeping up with ABC, SOTM, POTM is really hard when you have no free time.  I'll try, but after "Cramps", which was a very taxing effort that--I won't say bombed--but didn't perform as well as I expected. . .I don't know what to do differently and to try and right a ship on an artist I don't know at all, we'll see--the good thing is you didn't really know Salt N Pepa either and you stuck it out, you are hanging tough, so I applaud you on that. . .I do know Salt N Pepa, I have their songs memorized  (grew up on them) . . .Aerosmith much the same, but then when my hours increase I draw "Moody Blues", one of several pre-me bands that I have never heard of. . .

In our defence Dave, "Tramp" isn't really the most epic Salt N Pepa song in the world... But I still gave it 4 points, because I personally thought everything but the bowel movements were funny, so I can't argue with you, but I know you've been effed in the aye far too many times so far. I say stick in there, I don't know how hard it is to be working two jobs, but you said that one was finishing so perhaps you'll have more free time at the end of the two weeks, and Moody Blues isn't that unpopular, if you've listened to any olides station at all you've probably heard "Nights In White Satin", or "Question", or "Singer In A Rock N Roll Band" those are their biggest hits, perhaps you're just unfamiler with the titles, but you've been though worse. I mean you did Garth Brooks, and I know you're hatred of country. This blues-ish rock band should be no problem for you.

Written By: Rex on 12/08/07 at 10:31 am

Alright! One for the old guys!

Written By: skittlesking on 12/08/07 at 7:15 pm

In our defence Dave, "Tramp" isn't really the most epic Salt N Pepa song in the world... But I still gave it 4 points, because I personally thought everything but the bowel movements were funny, so I can't argue with you, but I know you've been effed in the aye far too many times so far. I say stick in there, I don't know how hard it is to be working two jobs, but you said that one was finishing so perhaps you'll have more free time at the end of the two weeks, and Moody Blues isn't that unpopular, if you've listened to any olides station at all you've probably heard "Nights In White Satin", or "Question", or "Singer In A Rock N Roll Band" those are their biggest hits, perhaps you're just unfamiler with the titles, but you've been though worse. I mean you did Garth Brooks, and I know you're hatred of country. This blues-ish rock band should be no problem for you.

That's just it. . .two weeks---that's how much time I have to do this band, and I also have a D2 band . . .I may have no choice but to sit this one out. . .and i can't say I listen to too many oldies stations, my grandmother did. . .but I digress. . .I didn't say I wouldn't try. . .I just don't see when, especially since one thing squeezed in to all this time is dealing with you know what Matthias. . .and it could determine quite a bit about my health. . .so I'm also distracted. . .but I'll try, I'm still hopeful that I'll be ready by Tuesday on my D2 entry.

PS You don't have to defend anything, you and I know what is killing me---and it's the conversation we have almost nightly;)  Besides,  as I told you in the beginning of Salt N Pepa voting, your epic parody of Heaven or Hell (in my opinion the most under-rated SNP song ever) deserved to win, so I'm glad you did. . .I am going to bed early again, I can't get anything done lately--which irritates me because I'm a workaholic. . .and a bit of a perfectionist---which can be a bad combination when you have no free time.

Written By: Matthias on 12/08/07 at 10:36 pm

That's just it. . .two weeks---that's how much time I have to do this band, and I also have a D2 band . . .I may have no choice but to sit this one out. . .and i can't say I listen to too many oldies stations, my grandmother did. . .but I digress. . .I didn't say I wouldn't try. . .I just don't see when, especially since one thing squeezed in to all this time is dealing with you know what Matthias. . .and it could determine quite a bit about my health. . .so I'm also distracted. . .but I'll try, I'm still hopeful that I'll be ready by Tuesday on my D2 entry.

PS You don't have to defend anything, you and I know what is killing me---and it's the conversation we have almost nightly;)  Besides,  as I told you in the beginning of Salt N Pepa voting, your epic parody of Heaven or Hell (in my opinion the most under-rated SNP song ever) deserved to win, so I'm glad you did. . .I am going to bed early again, I can't get anything done lately--which irritates me because I'm a workaholic. . .and a bit of a perfectionist---which can be a bad combination when you have no free time.

You have two weeks for two songs, if you work on a song just 10 minutes a day you'd have them both done in no time, and that's with a semi-epic song, It's not that hard.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/09/07 at 6:49 am

You have two weeks for two songs, if you work on a song just 10 minutes a day you'd have them both done in no time, and that's with a semi-epic song, It's not that hard.

You are funny Matthias

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/10/07 at 12:38 am

Just in case anybody needs to know, I have begun to write a parody of 'Question'. It's all about a dude who needs cheering up. It shall be called 'Jestin'' (get it?).

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/10/07 at 7:32 am

Dave, maybe it will be easier for you to do one of their poppier, modern-era tunes, rather than try to tackle their Moodier, proggy late-60s/early 70s output.

Try "Your Wildest Dreams" or "I Know You're Out There Somewhere"

or...try their earliest hit (pre-Nights In White Satin), "Go Now" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-allh_bTmXk

Good luck!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/10/07 at 6:30 pm

And now I have run into a similiar snag like I did in the Salt N Pepa round. Only this time, instead of the lyrics being shorter than the video, the lyrics are longer than the video. I'll probably do all of the lyrics on the sheet (or sheets, because I checked several to make sure). Just thought I'd mention it.

Written By: Matthias on 12/10/07 at 6:44 pm

And now I have run into a similiar snag like I did in the Salt N Pepa round. Only this time, instead of the lyrics being shorter than the video, the lyrics are longer than the video. I'll probably do all of the lyrics on the sheet (or sheets, because I checked several to make sure). Just thought I'd mention it.

Did you check several videos?

Written By: skittlesking on 12/10/07 at 8:17 pm

Dave, maybe it will be easier for you to do one of their poppier, modern-era tunes, rather than try to tackle their Moodier, proggy late-60s/early 70s output.

Try "Your Wildest Dreams" or "I Know You're Out There Somewhere"

or...try their earliest hit (pre-Nights In White Satin), "Go Now" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-allh_bTmXk

Good luck!

That one's kinda cool. . .and I found that at work, I was able to do Love Foolosophy, and what's really cool is I got feedback from my many co-workers who find my parodies hilarious (they aren't around parodies as often as we are so they have a huge appreciation). . .I may have to look into that song. . .it's not half bad. . .I do hope tomorrow at work is FAR less eventful than today--wow I am worn out. . .but i will be attempted to vote in D2 later tonight.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/10/07 at 9:19 pm

http://www.fistoffun.net/pressarticles/images/springer2.jpg

I'm Jerry Springer - I'm A Rotten Ole Man

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/10/07 at 9:57 pm

Did you check several videos?

I'm gonna wait until I'm allowed to go nuts on Youtube until I do that. Don't ask.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/13/07 at 5:19 pm

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/750726/2/istockphoto_750726_jester_cap_01.jpg

Jestin'

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/17/07 at 9:30 am

I Like Hee Haw
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040517/040517_heehaw_vmed1p.widec.jpghttp://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/themoodyblues31.shtml

DKTOS? Well tarnation, git on over here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJETHtCN-zk&feature=related

Written By: Matthias on 12/17/07 at 11:58 pm

This might be one of the only bands I'm going to skip out on, because other than "Singer In A Rock N' Roll Band" the entire Moody Blues collection is so damned BORING!!!!
But if something sparks my fancy I might take a whack at it, but so far, so bad.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/18/07 at 9:08 am

This might be one of the only bands I'm going to skip out on, because other than "Singer In A Rock N' Roll Band" the entire Moody Blues collection is so damned BORING!!!!
But if something sparks my fancy I might take a whack at it, but so far, so bad.

But as the Incubus round proved (for me at least), it is a good challenge to hack at a band you don't like. Try the Red Ant-trashing approach, maybe ("I'm just a singer for this pretentious band")? And I do see you capable of a decent "Nights In White Satin" parody (just don't forget the "cold hearted orb" spoken part...). Good luck, big guy.

Written By: Invisible Boy on 12/18/07 at 12:22 pm

Could someone please tell me how to post a picture here ? I see the "Insert Image" icon but how do I browse and upload the image from my computer ? Sorry to have to ask...sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thanks

IB

Written By: Invisible Boy on 12/18/07 at 2:38 pm

Yes I know the title should not have an apostrophe...and yes I know it's spelled "google"
                                      That's what happens when you post late at night

Anyway, I'm jumping in...

http://www.robsplanet.ca/images/moodybluesdays.jpg

Gigs Have New Pattern...http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/themoodyblues32.shtml

Written By: adagio on 12/18/07 at 3:02 pm

What are the rules for this contest?  I have a gazillion MB parodies, plus one I'm writing.

Written By: adagio on 12/18/07 at 3:12 pm

Well, one of my favorites.  If it's not acceptable, then I'll put another one in.

"I'm Just a Slinger of Hash Browns at This Stand"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/moodyblues4.shtml

OS found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTCQG6d-3M

(The midi listed on the parody isn't as good as a youtube OS from them, so use the youtube)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/18/07 at 3:17 pm

What are the rules for this contest?  I have a gazillion MB parodies, plus one I'm writing.

Pasted/edited from Round 16:

As stated prior to this thread, VOTING is worth points.  If you vote and did not enter this contest, you will get 3 points towards the overall 5 year standings in the Artistry contest.  When you vote as an entrant in this round, you recieve 5 points for voting. . .that means no one who votes ends with no points. . . .

Anyway, the rules are pretty similar to other contests.  ...ALL rounds will count EQUALLY toward the final standings, and NO rounds will be omitted from the final total.

1. All participants must comment on all entrants and vote by the deadline, ... Failure to vote will forfeit all points from this round, and if that is less than 20 points, the difference will be forfeited in the following round (No Disqualifications)

2. Voting will take place by replying to the vote thread

3. If a person withdraws from an Artistry Round prior to the end of a round, all entrants who voted for that person's entry will be permitted to pick one new song to earn a bonus point, all other songs will be realigned accordingly.  There will be no penalty on those who don't change their vote.

4. Once a vote is posted, it cannot be changed UNLESS rule 3 applies OR there was a double-vote by accident.

5. Late entries will be accepted until the 1st vote has been posted.

6. The deadline is a strict deadline, the moment the date has reached the day after the deadline, no votes will count, this is to reduce last minute voting, or sympathy/favoritism towards different entrants.

7. We ask that any entrant who posts a link to his/her original song (source of parody) not be DKTOS for the contest.

8. All other basic competition rules as applied in other competitions are generally followed.  The rules may not be changed or altered unless two/thirds of those voting in a round where a rule change is requested agrees.  Rules may be added by host (Below Average Dave) if it was a rule in the ABC or SOTM contest that was thought to be common knowledge, but not known by a particular entrant.

It's really no different than anything you have participated in before, Adagio, except that Dave is tabulating the on-going results to a big mutha of a contest that will end sometime in the next year or two (with a prize of a CDR of all the artists involved), and YOU HAVE NO DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY UNTIL SOMEBODY PLACES THEIR VOTES. Join in!!

Written By: adagio on 12/18/07 at 3:50 pm

So, forgive my ignorance. seems as though I'm welcome to join in even though I had long ago entered this one in FOOD and an ABC contest, right?

Written By: Rex on 12/18/07 at 4:54 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/themoodyblues21.shtml

Written By: skittlesking on 12/18/07 at 5:00 pm

So, forgive my ignorance. seems as though I'm welcome to join in even though I had long ago entered this one in FOOD and an ABC contest, right?

Yes, absolutely Adagio. . .and that goes for all Artistry rounds, previous contest entries are allowed.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/18/07 at 7:35 pm

(with a prize of a CDR of all the artists involved)

Say what? I don't remember that detail. Dave enlighten me!

And what's a CDR?

Written By: Matthias on 12/18/07 at 7:39 pm

And what's a CDR?

I forgot about that too...
Man, Dave is going to have some real fun singing, "Calvin And Hobbes"... And then there's the Eminem round...

Written By: skittlesking on 12/18/07 at 7:43 pm

And what's a CDR?

CD-R refers to a burned CD. . ., the CD will contain the original winning song for each and every round (the original version, if I had all the backing tracks it'd be my versions)  The winner of the entire contest will receive it.  The top 10 will all be receiving prizes at the end of the long competition, in addition to the printable awards that will be back up when my site is back up.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/18/07 at 7:51 pm

CD-R refers to a burned CD. . ., the CD will contain the original winning song for each and every round (the original version, if I had all the backing tracks it'd be my versions)  The winner of the entire contest will receive it.  The top 10 will all be receiving prizes at the end of the long competition, in addition to the printable awards that will be back up when my site is back up.

Oh okay...good thing that it's unlikely that I'll come first - it'll be a bit difficult to get Dad to allow me to get this special CD.

Written By: Matthias on 12/18/07 at 8:54 pm

Oh okay...good thing that it's unlikely that I'll come first - it'll be a bit difficult to get Dad to allow me to get this special CD.

You're forgetting that you'll probably be in your 20's when this whole competition is over.

Written By: Matthias on 12/18/07 at 10:52 pm

The sequal to "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" if yeh know what I mean...

http://www.funkyfancydress.com/images/santa-claus-fancy-dress.jpg

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/19/07 at 4:08 am

You're forgetting that you'll probably be in your 20's when this whole competition is over.

...oh yeah. Being 20 will make it easier to import a CD from America...funny that.

BTW, could you gives us a hint what the 'other prizes' for the top 10 people are, Dave?

Written By: skittlesking on 12/19/07 at 9:57 am

...oh yeah. Being 20 will make it easier to import a CD from America...funny that.

BTW, could you gives us a hint what the 'other prizes' for the top 10 people are, Dave?

You see, that will depend somewhat on financial status. . .as of right now, I'm planning on T-Shirts, or something collaborating the top 10's accomplishment. . .but what and how exquisite the prizes are will depend almost entirely on the financial status I am in.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/19/07 at 7:20 pm

I can't believe it, but I came up with something, I really like it too. . .Yay, I won't miss a round after all. . .Matthias, it's to the song we talked about if you can do it to, we can have a double debut for the song tomorrow. . .it's a song that's never been done. . .I did the nearly 7 minute version instead of the version posted here which is a radio edit. . .YOU CAN DO IT!!

Written By: Matthias on 12/19/07 at 7:33 pm

I can't believe it, but I came up with something, I really like it too. . .Yay, I won't miss a round after all. . .Matthias, it's to the song we talked about if you can do it to, we can have a double debut for the song tomorrow. . .it's a song that's never been done. . .I did the nearly 7 minute version instead of the version posted here which is a radio edit. . .YOU CAN DO IT!!

Yup! I did the same song, and also the 7 minute version... Actually 6:30 something, but it's close enough.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/19/07 at 7:44 pm

Yup! I did the same song, and also the 7 minute version... Actually 6:30 something, but it's close enough.

I found a video version of the OS full version to use for our parodies. .lyric sheets don't match now that I look around, but the video does. . .but how cool. . .call at 9 and we can talk about them.

May be recording "BrokenBack" tonight too. . .I am always behind on that comp.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/19/07 at 10:50 pm

I found a video version of the OS full version to use for our parodies. .lyric sheets don't match now that I look around, but the video does. . .but how cool. . .call at 9 and we can talk about them.

May be recording "BrokenBack" tonight too. . .I am always behind on that comp.

And here I was about to PM you asking you what happened to that competition ;D

Written By: Matthias on 12/20/07 at 10:19 am

I Know You're Out There Santa

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Tom-Browning/Spirit-of-Santa-Print-C10071066.jpeg

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/themoodyblues5.shtml

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 12/20/07 at 11:02 pm

I'm gonna have to pass on this round. Been too busy with paintings and finishing off my newest video.
Damn... I really know and like the Moody Blues, too. Oh well. :-\\

Written By: skittlesking on 12/21/07 at 7:27 am

I'm gonna have to pass on this round. Been too busy with paintings and finishing off my newest video.
Damn... I really know and like the Moody Blues, too. Oh well. :-\\

If you happen to come up with something before anyone votes, don't forget you can still enter. . .Happy Holidays Mikey.

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/22/07 at 5:38 pm

Hello, old friends! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) ;) ;D

I am not entering this contest since I retired from ALL parody competitions after the end of the ABC-3 round.

But ... I've been a major fan of The Moody Blues for many years!  If you visit my MySpace page (see the link in my signature line below this posting), you'll see a YouTube video window that I labelled as being a song that summarizes my life ... "The Balance", by The Moody Blues.

God bless you all, my friends - and PARODY ON !!!  ;D

-- John "Johnny D" Small

Check for new replies or respond here...