inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Get it Recorded Contest (Rd 1-January 2008) (Deadline to Enter January 14th)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/01/08 at 3:20 pm

I've decided I have too much trouble picking parodies to record, and I spend a lot of time on each parodist trying to pick them, so I will start hosting monthly contests to get songs recorded.  I'd like to say post any song you want, but that is quite impossible to do--I can only record what I can get a backing track to, so instead--here is a list of songs I can pull off that haven't been done recently. . .

You may enter any 1 parody of the following songs.  Unlike the 07 contests, you can't enter multiple entries, but the rest of the uniqueness of this contest will be maintained

What are you doing this for?  I'm trying to record for many parodists--the winner of each individual round will get their song recorded by Below Average Dave

There is one notable difference though I'm doing

Also--any song that hits 20+ points may be considered for recording after the initial recording is no longer on my recently used list (which lists 50 backing tracks at a time based on what's still 'new' on badave.com)

Here are the currently eligible songs:

**NOTE: Songs recorded BEFORE I started using real backing tracks are eligible for this competition to be re-recorded with a better track**

1: That's Amore by Frank Sinatra
2: Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day
3: Good Riddance by Green Day
4: Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day
5: American Idiot by Green Day
6. Jingle Bells
7. We Wish You a Merry Christmas
8. Silent Night
9. My Immortal by Evanescence
10. Milkshake by Kelis
11. Hollywood by Madonna
12. Ray of Light by Madonna
13. La Bamba
14. O Canada
15. The Star Spangled Banner
16. Stupid Girls by Pink
17. Amazing Grace
18. Happy Birthday
19. House of the Rising Sun
20. When the Saints go Marching In

This list will be constantly changing each month. . .as songs are removed or added. . .if this contest picks up a lot more steam, I WILL make it bi-weekly instead of monthly.  Deadline to enter is January 14th!

Subject: Re: Get it Recorded Contest (Rd 1-January 2008) (Deadline to Enter January 14th)

Written By: Matthias on 01/01/08 at 5:55 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Jupiter.jpg

"Jupiter" to "Stupid Girls" is getting prepared for lift off.

Subject: Re: Get it Recorded Contest (Rd 1-January 2008) (Deadline to Enter January 14th)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/01/08 at 10:21 pm

What the heck... I'll give this one a try. The only one I actually have a parody for from that list is for House of The Rising Sun. So I'll enter...
"House Of The Raisin Bran"
Parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/theanimals22.shtml
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGXwX-TdTY
http://www.minimus.biz/images/F25-2509104-4100bg.jpg

... and Dave, if for some reason I do win, and you record this, I wanna do the video.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/01/08 at 10:57 pm

What the heck... I'll give this one a try. The only one I actually have a parody for from that list is for House of The Rising Sun. So I'll enter...
"House Of The Raisin Bran"
Parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/theanimals22.shtml
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGXwX-TdTY
http://www.minimus.biz/images/F25-2509104-4100bg.jpg

... and Dave, if for some reason I do win, and you record this, I wanna do the video.

Understandably, u are far more advanced than I am on videos!

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/17/08 at 5:30 pm

Hey, Dave, is this contest still going on?

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 8:07 pm

No, I had to cancel it due to lack of participation, I may bring it back in the future, but at the moment. . .it just doesn't have the support it did back when I started the idea. . .people don't want their stuff recorded apparently . . .but if you'd like I can consider recording a couple by you individually, though I have a tight schedule and I can't make a guaranteed time frame as I have a rather particular schedule for my own releases, but I feel bad because I know there was interest, but I guess people are very specific about what songs they want recorded. . .that or I really suck and people don't want me recording their stuff  :-[  But I promise that I'll consider recording yours (I have to review it to give a definitive yes or no) because you did enter and the contest didn't happen as a result of lack of entrants.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/17/08 at 8:46 pm

No, I had to cancel it due to lack of participation, I may bring it back in the future, but at the moment. . .it just doesn't have the support it did back when I started the idea. . .people don't want their stuff recorded apparently . . .but if you'd like I can consider recording a couple by you individually, though I have a tight schedule and I can't make a guaranteed time frame as I have a rather particular schedule for my own releases, but I feel bad because I know there was interest, but I guess people are very specific about what songs they want recorded. . .that or I really suck and people don't want me recording their stuff  :-[  But I promise that I'll consider recording yours (I have to review it to give a definitive yes or no) because you did enter and the contest didn't happen as a result of lack of entrants.

Well, Dave, I can tell you right now, you don't suck. I guess people didn't like the selections you offered. You don't have to record my entry if you're too busy right now, maybe down the road you can record this or another one.
Right now I'm working on my new parody video for Making Love In The Men's Bathroom Stall, but when I'm done that, maybe we can work on something together!!

Written By: wildcard on 01/17/08 at 9:36 pm

Dave-  I only know and did one of those songs.  If you ever wanted to record it I have no problem with you doing so but I already did. 

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/18/08 at 3:33 am

Dave,
Even if the contest is a no-go, I'd be thrilled if you could find some time in your schedule to record this...

Matrimonay!

It would be a big job, because you've got about 15 characters singing....but you could do it!
Let me know, buddy

Written By: jreuben on 01/18/08 at 8:49 am

You don't suck  :)

Written By: Rex on 01/18/08 at 10:42 am

...I guess people are very specific about what songs they want recorded. . .that or I really suck...

Nope, no suckage from you. I had planned to submit something for "Thriller" but my idea had already been done and my time is short these days. But your contributions and efforts are well appreciated and I hope you forge on with the other 764536 AmIRight activities you have going on.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/18/08 at 8:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your support, I've been in a 'self-doubt' mood of late . . . In reply to everyone. . .

Mikey--I love collaborations, good luck at that video (I know you'll rock it) and thanks for the reassurance. . .I will add you to my list definitely, as I am increasing non-badave parody recordings

Ann-thanks

Kristof--You've got it,  and that brings me to something else, I think I may have posted this thread among too many other contests, it fell to the second page, and I think a lot of people didn't even get a chance to see it. . .I'm thinking instead of a contest, I'll just keep an ongoing list over at the song parodies thread where people can suggest certain songs, I'll do that one (probably within January or early February)

Jeff & Rex--Thanks, I'm glad you don't think so, perhaps I need a little more Pepsi, or at least some Pep, and get back to my game. . .I feel a little off lately. . .

Thank you everyone. . .

Check for new replies or respond here...