inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: December POTM Entry Thread

Written By: philbo on 01/02/08 at 9:50 am

Remember, NO DQ's in this contest, but those who didn't vote in the previous round DO forfeit 20 points. . .and ANYONE involved in contests may vote even if they can't enter.

Rules for this contest

1.  Any Performance submitted during December 2007 is eligible

2. All Entrants must enter by January 7, 2008 at 11:59pm EST

3. Voting will end January 31, 2008 at 11:59pm EST

4. All Entrants must vote and comment on the recordings entered by the above date

5. All SOTM entrants past and present  are eligible to vote whether they enter this contest or not

6. All ABC1,2 or 3 entrants are eligible to vote whether they enter this contest or not

7. Once you enter a recording contest, you are eligible to vote in future comps whether or not you enter

8. Failure to vote by the deadline will result in forfeit of your points

9. All Prior POTM entrants are WELCOME TO VOTE

10. Songs featuring different vocalists are ok, but the entrants will be listed based on their WRITERS

11. Once You've Voted, You can not change your vote UNLESS your vote was invalid

12.  In the event of a tie, the song with the most 1st place wins
      If it is still tied, 2nd place
      If it is still tied, 3rd place
      If it is still tied, a Tie Breaker for one week into the following month will be held
      Only the Top 3 require a tie breaker.

13.  You can't vote for your own song

14. You can't vote for another song more than once in the same contest

15. If there are fewer than six entries, there will be no voting at the end of the month; instead there will be a rollover competition, in which the performances submitted to amiright over a two month period will eligible for entry.  Any parody author who has submitted an entry in the first month may change their entry, but may still only enter a single performance.

Subject: Re: December POTM Entry Thread

Written By: adagio on 01/02/08 at 9:59 am

Would a parody written in December, submitted at midnight, but appearing Jan. 1 count?  ;D

Just kidding!

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/02/08 at 5:07 pm

Well, I guess it goes without saying that I should obviously enter...
Mikey the Squirrel's Night Before Christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDDk4fkAGg

http://a667.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/126/l_f2c002270081c39f2bbd441d56f104aa.jpg

Written By: skittlesking on 01/02/08 at 5:10 pm

For me, it all comes down to the crisp . . .

http://www.badave.com/hosting/parody.php?st=21
Crazy for Chips Performance

http://www.amiright.com/performances/items/performances_1198678176.shtml
Crazy for Chips Comments

Though, Mikey, I think you have this month wrapped up. . .C'mon 4 more people and we can have 08 start out fresh again!

Written By: philbo on 01/02/08 at 5:17 pm

There's only one for me this month, so it's got to be:

Youtube - Hey Claire, it's Sylar
Comments

...won't mean much to you unless you're a Heroes fan, though.

Written By: jreuben on 01/02/08 at 7:18 pm

Staying with the Christmas theme

Santa Stole Our Toys

Written By: philbo on 01/04/08 at 10:20 am

Here is my ode to a lost New Years Eve.

<a href="http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/garthbrooks4.shtml">I Was So Wasted</a>

I know it gets confusing this time of the month, but the POTM is the "Performance of the Month" - you need to post it in the Song of the Month thread, instead.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/04/08 at 10:37 am

Sorry, my bad. Corrected

Written By: DoRitos on 01/04/08 at 11:55 am

My absence from the site for a few years causes me to have corporate knowledge gaps.  With that in mind could someone tell me what is the difference between POTM & SOTM?  I may wish to enter this comp. but would like the background on it.  Appreciate anyone who would enlighten me.  Thanks.

Written By: philbo on 01/04/08 at 12:10 pm

Hi Guy,

POTM stands for "Performance of the Month" - it's basically the same sort of competition as SOTM but for recordings/youtube videos, that sort of thing: http://www.amiright.com/performances/

So unless I've missed a submission of yours, you'd not be eligible for this month's competition (i.e. for performances submitted last month), but if you feel like finding a karaoke backing track for one of your huge number of parodies and recording a vocal over the top, you'll be able to enter the next one.

Written By: DoRitos on 01/04/08 at 3:16 pm

Phil - Thanks that is what I thought it was but just wanted to be sure.  I write fine but sing not so fine.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for blowing out a multitude of peoples' sound cards and making their dog's howl and the like.  :D ;D

Written By: Josh2V2 on 01/05/08 at 7:31 am

Hi Guy,

POTM stands for "Performance of the Month" - it's basically the same sort of competition as SOTM but for recordings/youtube videos, that sort of thing: http://www.amiright.com/performances/

So unless I've missed a submission of yours, you'd not be eligible for this month's competition (i.e. for performances submitted last month), but if you feel like finding a karaoke backing track for one of your huge number of parodies and recording a vocal over the top, you'll be able to enter the next one.

Just a quick thing, surely the voting of this should be based on the actual performance rather than the written parody.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/05/08 at 9:13 am

Yes. . it is. . .that's why I started it.  The written parody is an important part of a performance though, in that a poorly written parody usually translates into a poor performance, but it's not necessarily true that a good write translates to a good performance either. . .so It is based on the actual performance, not the written parody, but the written parody does play a role in the performance. . .

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/10/08 at 8:20 pm

So, when can we start voting?? Or do we not have enough entries? Just wondering.

Written By: philbo on 01/15/08 at 4:21 pm

Looks like we have Mikey, Dave, Me and Jeff.. two short of a quorum.  Another rollover month.

Sorry it's taken me a while to get round to this: too much else on at the moment.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 02/11/08 at 1:36 am

I almost forgot about this POTM comp! Are we going into another rollover month again?

Written By: skittlesking on 02/11/08 at 1:39 am

I think what I'm going to do, if it's alright with Phil since it appears he even gave up on trying to do it monthly. . .is do it every three months POTQ if you will, with no rollover possibility. . .at least as long as recordings are still somewhat of a gem among AmIRighters. . .that way we can get enough people involved to make a worthy comp.

and because December never happened. . .the first one will include December 07 as well

Written By: philbo on 02/11/08 at 1:52 pm

You may well be right, Dave

Sorry, haven't had a huge amount of time on-line (or off-line, either) to think about this.  No idea when/if I'll be able to record anything in the near future, too.

May try recording my Poison submission from today, though: Every Rose is an easy guitar (providing I don't have to do the solos ;))

Check for new replies or respond here...