inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decathlon: Mark 2 (Event 8)

Written By: Matthias on 01/03/08 at 11:28 am

Decathlon: Mark 2
Event 7

http://www.celebritysmackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/funny_sport_moments_074.jpg

Genre: Techno/Dance
Topic: Dreams & Surreal

The Rules

1. Entry URLs to be posted onto this thread from the Amiright site

2. Entries must conform to both the topic and time specifications...if in doubt, ask.

3. On January 17th the entries close and the voting begins

4. Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order:  
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

5. You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

6. DKTOS, is not allowed as a comment whilest voting

7. Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

8. Voting continues until January 31st

9. By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

10. Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the deadline is 0-ed

11. If you miss a submission deadline, you will not be entered in that event, but WILL be allowed to enter the next event.
However, there will STILL be an expectation that you comment and vote in the event you are not participating in, unless you have a valid reason for not being able to.

13. Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that event's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

Scoring: Like the rules, the scoring is similar to the to the Ages, awarding the winner first place, with 11 points. Person who comes in 2nd,  Points and so on, and so forth...

HAVE FUN!!!

Subject: Re: Decathlon: Mark 2 (Event 8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/03/08 at 12:04 pm

uh oh! :D

I'll go with this one.

Excuse Me
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/madonna16.shtml
(Rescue Me video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLifMzbNWxU)
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/184793/2/istockphoto_184793_wise_monkeys.jpghttp://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Haskell_EL/calendar%20past%20events/chinesenew%20year%20gifs/dragon.gif
what does it mean? you decide.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/03/08 at 1:45 pm

Techno/dance??

um....

err...

hmmm....

http://www.bohemianscientist.org/images/blog06/headexplode.jpg

Matty, can you come here a minute?

;)

Written By: jreuben on 01/03/08 at 1:51 pm

Not my favorite topic, but que surreal surreal

Written By: Matthias on 01/03/08 at 8:27 pm

As for the topic, anything out of the ordinary can work for this round.
This one is going to be extremely random, and a really fun round, because people are going to have to think outside the box to come up with their topics.

Techno and Dance might be hard for some people, but there's more out there than you might think.

Perhaps "Absurdism" could be more helpful for some people...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/04/08 at 1:05 am

As for the topic, anything out of the ordinary can work for this round.
This one is going to be extremely random, and a really fun round, because people are going to have to think outside the box to come up with their topics.

Techno and Dance might be hard for some people, but there's more out there than you might think.

So, if I make a parody consisting of a whole bunch of random words, would that count? If I said that they all tie into one weird dream, would that be better?

Also, would Daft Punk count?

Written By: Matthias on 01/04/08 at 1:46 am

So, if I make a parody consisting of a whole bunch of random words, would that count? If I said that they all tie into one weird dream, would that be better?

Also, would Daft Punk count?

I suppose, but don't expect to do too well with it.

And it's Electronic music so yeah.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/04/08 at 1:51 am

I suppose, but don't expect to do too well with it.

And it's Electronic music so yeah.

Yeah--they kinda go hand in hand---I'm aiming for two birds here, there are 4 'epic parody resolution challenge' songs between us that qualify for this round (Lose My Breath, Fergalicious, Wannabe and to my surprise R U Ready) . . .I'll take aim at one of those . . .after. . .Thin friggin Lizzy, which is giving me a heavy-weight of a time.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/04/08 at 5:41 am

It's amazing all the different sub-genres for Electronic out there...one that sounded interesting is Dub music, which includes artists such as Sublime, UB40, Gorillaz, and this little band called Salmonella Dub, whose seventh album 'Heal Me' is owned by my Dad. Said Dad suggested I could use the track 'Love Sunshine and Happiness'.

And I wouldn't really advise doing Daft Punk. Like most Techno stuff, there songs contain little, if any, lyrics.

Written By: philbo on 01/04/08 at 6:30 am

I have a fairly surreal song on the drawing board to "Funk Soul Brother" by Fat Boy Slim - would this count as techno/dance?

...not been sure about finishing it, though: I've been trying not to repeat myself, and looking at the date on the file, it's at least 18 months old.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/04/08 at 7:48 am

I have a fairly surreal song on the drawing board to "Funk Soul Brother" by Fat Boy Slim - would this count as techno/dance?

...not been sure about finishing it, though: I've been trying not to repeat myself, and looking at the date on the file, it's at least 18 months old.

I would definitely say yes. BTW, the track you are thinking of is titled "Rockafeller Skank" (should give you some ideas on how to finish it)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/04/08 at 7:53 am

There's throwing around random words...and then there's letting your mind flow with whatever pops in, a skill I honed in my Madonna and White Album Beatle parodies. In some ways, it's like making a Misheard Lyric parody, but just giving it a bit more oomph in terms of making sense out of the senselessness. Does that make sense?  ;)

For other examples of this stream of consciousness I'm trying to define, look at The Beatles' "I Am The Walrus" or "Come Together"--or James Joyce's novel Finnegans Wake or William S. Burroughs' novel Naked Lunch (but don't let your dad know about that one...)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/04/08 at 8:25 am

Phil---he's about as techno as you can get.

Written By: philbo on 01/04/08 at 8:32 am

I would definitely say yes. BTW, the track you are thinking of is titled "Rockafeller Skank" (should give you some ideas on how to finish it)

That's the same song, is it?  Learn something new every day...

I've had this in my mind since hearing Graeme Garden singing this in "Pick up song" on "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue"

Phil---he's about as techno as you can get.

I'm not really down wit' techno, bro.
It's good to know
I'm right and so
I'm gonna say "Yo!"
(Why? I don't know)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/04/08 at 2:36 pm

I have a a Brimful of Asha parody, but it doesnt fit the remix version

Written By: Arwen on 01/07/08 at 5:24 pm

I have a really strong feeling that this one is going to kill me off. >:(

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/08/08 at 3:09 am

I'd just like to mention how ironic it is that Round 8 of both Decathlons are/were incredibly irritating in both genre and topic. Those who were in Dec 1.0 will know what I'm on about (I liked that round - I came third, and I was able to do it in one week because of my camp!).

More importantly, I have decided to write a parody of 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)' by Eiffel 65. In it, I shall expand on the themes of the original song. To be more exact, you shall all discover just what it feels like to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and discover that you are BLUE (obviously I'm using the 'surreal' part of the topic).

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/08/08 at 4:28 am

More importantly, I have decided to write a parody of 'Bue (Da Ba Dee)' by Eiffel 65. In it, I shall expand on the themes of the original song. To be more exact, you shall all discover just what it feels like to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and discover that you are BLUE (obviously I'm using the 'surreal' part of the topic).

whoa, that idea is rolled gold, bobpie - a parody about turning blue - can I steal that? - I'm in Arwen's boat: ideas - zilch (although I was a bit that way in the last round too)

btw I am in Tokyo at the moment while my wife is giving a ballet-teaching seminar - so my internet access is very limited - if I don't make it to posting results of the ABC4-J comp people, could somebody (eg. Jack, Dave, Matty) do it for me?

I'll be back in circulation on Jan 15th - and I have to Moody Blues vote somehow too - but please bear with my lack of posting

Written By: skittlesking on 01/08/08 at 8:18 am

whoa, that idea is rolled gold, bobpie - a parody about turning blue - can I steal that? - I'm in Arwen's boat: ideas - zilch (although I was a bit that way in the last round too)

btw I am in Tokyo at the moment while my wife is giving a ballet-teaching seminar - so my internet access is very limited - if I don't make it to posting results of the ABC4-J comp people, could somebody (eg. Jack, Dave, Matty) do it for me?

I'll be back in circulation on Jan 15th - and I have to Moody Blues vote somehow too - but please bear with my lack of posting

You Got It!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/08/08 at 6:01 pm

I'd just like to mention how ironic it is that Round 8 of both Decathlons are/were incredibly irritating in both genre and topic. Those who were in Dec 1.0 will know what I'm on about (I liked that round - I came third, and I was able to do it in one week because of my camp!).

More importantly, I have decided to write a parody of 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)' by Eiffel 65. In it, I shall expand on the themes of the original song. To be more exact, you shall all discover just what it feels like to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and discover that you are BLUE (obviously I'm using the 'surreal' part of the topic).
LOL awesome!

Written By: Arwen on 01/09/08 at 2:35 pm

I need to know how loosely we're defining "dance" music.  I mean, some people could dance to anything.

When I go dancing, I'm usually moved the most by R&B/Hip Hop stuff...but...is that considered "dance" music?  If not...what IS?  How about disco? 

Seriously...I need help...

Written By: Matthias on 01/09/08 at 2:39 pm

I need to know how loosely we're defining "dance" music.  I mean, some people could dance to anything.

When I go dancing, I'm usually moved the most by R&B/Hip Hop stuff...but...is that considered "dance" music?  If not...what IS?  How about disco? 

Seriously...I need help...

R&B/ Hip-Hop is considered Dance on Wikipedia so I'll accept that
But I already have a Disco round, so while it could work, I would hold off on it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/09/08 at 3:59 pm

R&B/ Hip-Hop is considered Dance on Wikipedia so I'll accept that
But I already have a Disco round, so while it could work, I would hold off on it.

To take it further, anything sounding much like the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever would be considered Disco.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/09/08 at 5:46 pm

You Got It!

thanks Dave ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/10/08 at 5:04 pm

Well I had a blast writing this. Hope you have fun reading it:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/c/c0/SOSDinobots_bluePrime.jpg

I'm Blue?! (What The Hell?)

Vid for 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)' by Eiffel 65

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 11:36 am

Well, I'm going far out on this one. . .um, I don't think any of us consider Bloodhound Gang a dance group, but they have a number of songs that individually have been labeled dance songs, and one of them is so out there, I mean even for them, that I have to parody it, and I already have four other ideas that I'm considering for the Bloodhound Gang Artistry round--so I can use this one here, expect it soon.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 11:57 am

Well, I'm going far out on this one. . .um, I don't think any of us consider Bloodhound Gang a dance group, but they have a number of songs that individually have been labeled dance songs, and one of them is so out there, I mean even for them, that I have to parody it, and I already have four other ideas that I'm considering for the Bloodhound Gang Artistry round--so I can use this one here, expect it soon.

Hmm. If it's not "Bad Touch", what else would it be? "Mama Say"? "Mope"? I am very curious (unless it's from One Fierce Coaster, because I haven't heard all of that one...)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 1:03 pm

Hmm. If it's not "Bad Touch", what else would it be? "Mama Say"? "Mope"? I am very curious (unless it's from One Fierce Coaster, because I haven't heard all of that one...)

I love all three of those songs. . .It's off their 05 album "Hefty Fine"--though in honesty both Mope and Bad Touch will be parodied by me as well-though probably not for a specific contest, just because I love the OS's . . .I know that's the one you don't like, but this particular song is just so weird it was itching to get parodied

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 1:28 pm

this particular song is just so weird it was itching to get parodied

Seems my M.O. is rubbing off on you in a big way... :o ;D

Written By: Matthias on 01/11/08 at 2:32 pm

I love all three of those songs. . .It's off their 05 album "Hefty Fine"--though in honesty both Mope and Bad Touch will be parodied by me as well-though probably not for a specific contest, just because I love the OS's . . .I know that's the one you don't like, but this particular song is just so weird it was itching to get parodied

"Ralph Wiggum"???  :o

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 2:50 pm

"Ralph Wiggum"???  :o

TCOP had expressed interest in seeing it done at at the Artistry thread. That one would be difficult, if not impossible. :-X

Written By: Matthias on 01/11/08 at 2:53 pm

TCOP had expressed interest in it at the Artistry thread. That one would be difficult, if not impossible.

Not impossible, all you need to do is find another character say Peter Griffin, and find quotes that would pace correctly.
Although, I don't know how well that parody would fly, but maybe if you chose George Bush or somebody, and made it into a political parody it would work out better.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 3:04 pm

Not impossible, all you need to do is find another character say Peter Griffin, and find quotes that would pace correctly.
Although, I don't know how well that parody would fly, but maybe if you chose George Bush or somebody, and made it into a political parody it would work out better.

Um Ralph Wiggum isn't dance buddy:)  Well, it's not labelled as such anyway. . .but that's an interesting first guess. . .

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 3:38 pm

good luck on that.  :o

Written By: Matthias on 01/12/08 at 10:37 am

Man.... This is a toughie...
I know what song I'm going to work on, which is a start, and it's pretty surreal already, which also helps, but to come up with a good kick-arse idea is another thing entirely.

The song I'm going to work on is "Halloween" by Aqua.

Any ideas from the top of your head would be great to know, cause I'm stumped.

If I don't come up with anything for this I could go with an already made techno song... "Every Mime I Punch": http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/cascada2.shtml
(Although I really want to come up with something new, but I'm putting this in as a place holder).

OOOOH!!!

Hit of inspiration!!!

I think I might do "Cartoon Rehab" a parody of "Cartoon Heroes" by Aqua
I don't know why, but I think I'm going to end up doing something by Aqua for this round.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/12/08 at 11:19 am

Man.... This is a toughie...
I know what song I'm going to work on, which is a start, and it's pretty surreal already, which also helps, but to come up with a good kick-arse idea is another thing entirely.

The song I'm going to work on is "Halloween" by Aqua.

Any ideas from the top of your head would be great to know, cause I'm stumped.

If I don't come up with anything for this I could go with an already made techno song... "Every Mime I Punch": http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/cascada2.shtml
(Although I really want to come up with something new, but I'm putting this in as a place holder).

Um, Matthias--you realize that's hardly surreal at all, a guy going around punching mimes is not exactly a far fetched thing, mimes are existent, and there are people scared of them, please come up with something, because that there would not really be surreal buddy

Written By: Matthias on 01/14/08 at 1:31 am

Well... I got mine done. I hope nobody takes into consideration that I used the "broke" theme for both parodies, because although I used the "broke" theme, I used different topics for both of my parodies.
The one for fashion was coping with the lose of money, and finding other ways to live.
The one I wrote for Decathlon: Event 8 is about a broke guy who finds another way to make money, by selling his own body parts.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/14/08 at 5:49 am

Man, I really struggled with this round (and it looks like I'm not alone)....but I've submitted mine, which should be up today

I won't give away the title just yet, but here's a teaser pic:

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/15775/120939/t/864155-Fish-on-Head-2.jpg

:D :D :D

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/08 at 9:08 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/spicegirls13.shtml
Scared of Me

Those darn ghosts stole the 'd' of the title. . .oh well . . .they didn't steal anything from the parody

Cross off Wannabe from the 'Epic 40', 2 down, 38 to go

Written By: jreuben on 01/14/08 at 1:11 pm

Is this the song you want?  That you really, really want?

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/spicegirls13.shtml
Scared of Me

Those darn ghosts stole the 'd' of the title. . .oh well . . .they didn't steal anything from the parody

Cross off Wannabe from the 'Epic 40', 2 down, 38 to go

Written By: Matthias on 01/14/08 at 7:34 pm

3 Days Left To Enter!!!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/08 at 8:10 pm

Is this the song you want?  That you really, really want?

Yes it's what I want, what I really really want

Written By: Arwen on 01/15/08 at 11:54 am

3 Days Left To Enter!!!

I'm TRYING.... >:(

Written By: philbo on 01/15/08 at 4:18 pm

Just submitted "Crank a fella's Sock" to "Rockafeller Skank"... unless there are any other Fatboy Slim submissions, it'll turn up as

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/fatboyslim3.shtml

Been doubly hard for me to get this finished: it's amazingly hard to write rubbish at times.. plus I started a new job last week, and ten minutes before I was due to start on my first day there, some young lass wrote my car off... life's been a bit odd recently.  Had about ten minutes on amiright in the last fortnight :(

I'm TRYING.... >:(

Very.

;) (just kidding)

Written By: Arwen on 01/16/08 at 1:16 am

;) (just kidding)

:)

Ordinarily, Phil, I would totally be pouting at you...but I'm smiling because I FINALLY finished mine.  It's the best I could do...and based on a real dream I had two nights ago...take it for what it's worth.  It should be up tomorrow.

Written By: Arwen on 01/16/08 at 9:31 am

Alright...here it is:

"S.O.S. (Rescue Me--Crazy Dream Version)"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/rihanna33.shtml

Written By: jreuben on 01/16/08 at 10:24 am

So, I'm still confused on the whole deadline thing.  Was the deadline last night around 12:01 (needed to be in today's submissions), or can it be in tomorrow's submissions?  I can bring up a retread from my archives, but had something in the works I could finish off tonight.

Thankyouverymuch.

Written By: Matthias on 01/16/08 at 10:35 am

Tonight's the deadline, voting is also due tonight.

Written By: Matthias on 01/16/08 at 10:39 am

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cgo0214l.jpg

"I'm Selling Body Parts"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nsync62.shtml

The Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgskFZnm0nU&feature=related

Written By: skittlesking on 01/16/08 at 6:06 pm

But get it done tonight and Matthias can hold voting off and post that yours will post tomorrow.

Written By: jreuben on 01/16/08 at 8:52 pm

Nosebusters!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/rayparkerjr4.shtml

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/17/08 at 3:12 am

OOps! Almost forgot to post mine on this thread!
Here 'tis....

Dance With A Trout On My Head

Good luck, all!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/17/08 at 6:07 am

But get it done tonight and Matthias can hold voting off and post that yours will post tomorrow.

whoa - I was all set to throw up my hands and default for the first time ever, as the last thing on my mind in the last couple of weeks has been parodies, and it would have been reluctant because waht with cyclone towelboys, and Englishmen called Mork, and fridge penguins, and cow parts in gravy, and werewolf barbers, surrealism is a fave theme of mine

then I saw somebody mention Fatboy Slim and an idea struck with 6 hours to go, and I rattled it up and submitted it, so it should be up in New Entries in an hour or so, so DON'T WRITE ME OFF PLEASE MATTY!!! :\'(

it's "Dazed Dude" to "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim

(pant pant pant...)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/17/08 at 9:33 am

Boiled As Grub
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/haddaway0.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...