inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: April 2008 SOTM RESULTS POSTED

Written By: skittlesking on 05/08/08 at 11:17 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins.
If it's still tied, a brief playoff round will be held.
All participants will have the first week of the month to choose one favorite from among the tied entries.
Tiebreaker voting is strongly encouraged but not required. On the eighth day the one with the most votes wins.

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

1. A Ballad of Sam Huff by Max Power
    Oh What A Night

2. It Must Be Elmo by Agrimorfee
      Emo Kid

3. Punk Rocker by Matthias
      Rock Lobster

4. Oh I Do Like To Buzz Around The Beehives by Jason
      Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside

5. I Was Drunk Late One Night, Now I'm Daddy by Below Average Dave
        It's the End of the World as We Know It

6. Force Lightning by Mikey Squirrel
        Greased Lightning

7. A Whore With No Name by Guy DiRito
        A Horse With No Name

8. Repossess My Heart by MasonR
        Devil in Her Heart

9. Kiss My Rear End by The Conqueror of Parodies
          In The End

10. I Gotta Shop (To Stay Alive) by Peter Anderson
        I've Got to Rock to Stay Alive

11. Arthur C Clarke by Phil Alexander
          We Didn't Start the Fire

12. It Don't Int'rest You Much(The Role Play Song) by Kristof Robertson
          That Don't Impress Me Much

Subject: Re: April 2008 SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Jason on 05/11/08 at 4:05 am

Wow! What a great selection of tunes!

As always I can only vote for 5 of them! So here are my votes

5 Votes to BA Dave's drunken 1 nights
4 Votes to Kristof's role-plays
3 Votes to Conquerors ass-kissing
2 Votes to Peter's shopping
1 Vote to Agrimorfee's Elmo

HMs to everyone else who entered

Good Luck To All Of You!

Written By: Matthias on 05/11/08 at 11:03 pm

(Since I'm going to be VERY, VERY, VERY Busy this month with working a job that I have to live at which may or may not have Internet connection I'd figure I'd vote extra early this time)

5 Points: Below Average Dave (No joke Dave. Your one night stand really gave birth to great parody fodder)
4 Points: Kristof Robertson (Kinda like the Prequel to Dave's song... Although I don't know if you'll get that kinky just for a one night stand)
3 Points: Conqueror_of_Parodies (At first I didn't think it was going to pace because "In The End" is 3 syllables long and "Kiss My Rear End" is 4, but I forgot the but, and with your parody about kissing butt I find that quite ironic)
2 Points: Agrimorfee (A bit rough on the pacing but a very challenging song, because the original was hilarious and you did a pretty good job working around that)
1 Point: Peter (A great original song choice, although I agree with my sentiment of Paris Hilton parodies being a bit overdone)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/25/08 at 4:36 am

The video for the Linkin Park song, #9, is no longer available on YouTube on the suggested URL. A simple single search givs new hits though...

The same goes for #11, Billy Joel, it's gone too (on the given URL that is)...

And #12, Shania Twain. What is this... lawyer supervised spring cleaing over at YouTube?

Additional: I've only looked at those I've judged today, the early videos on the list might be gone too...  :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/28/08 at 7:59 am

5pts=Below Average Dave's paternity results--( a truly epic work from you, would love to see you tackle the purposely hard ones more...if there's a backing track. ;))
4pts=Kristof's interesting style of dress
3pts=Phil's Space Odyssey
2pts=Mason's investment
1pt=Guy's hobby, with its just desserts. ;)

Written By: philbo on 05/28/08 at 4:43 pm

Seems rather clichéd giving another 5 points to Kristof, but this one was really in a class of its own this month... unless it's just my own weird fantasies getting in the way.

5 points - #12. It Don't Int'rest You Much(The Role Play Song) by Kristof Robertson
4 points - #6. Force Lightning by Mikey Squirrel
3 points - #10. I Gotta Shop (To Stay Alive) by Peter Anderson
2 points - #1. A Ballad of Sam Huff by Max Power
1 point  - #5. I Was Drunk Late One Night, Now I'm Daddy by Below Average Dave

Incidentally, the Linkin Park video showed up as "Not visible in your country" or something like that, so here's a link that works from blighty: In The End

Written By: Max Power on 05/30/08 at 9:23 pm

5pts - Bad drunken night

4pts - Phil vs. HAL

3pts - Kris' foreplays

2pts - Aggie cutting himself because he's an emo who wanted to become "an hero" like Mitchell Henderson

1pts - Pete Rose banned from shopping malls

HM: Everyone

Written By: K1chyd on 05/31/08 at 1:15 am

As always, a pleasant chore that made my brain and eyes spinn.  :D

1 Point: "Arthur C Clarke's A Writer"

2 Points: "A Whore With No Name"

3 Points: "Repossess My Heart"

4 Points: "It Don't Int'rest You Much (The Role Play Song)"

5 Points: "I Was Drunk Late One Night, Now I'm Daddy"

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/31/08 at 2:43 am

Well, I've been out of the loop for a little bit...so it's great to get back in the saddle for this comp. One entry this month stood head and shoulders above the rest...and from a guy who once said that he'd NEVER win a SOTM....

5 pts: Dave's Neonatal romp.....just sublime!
4 pts: Mikey's Sith Riff
3 pts: Mason's takeover bid
2 pts: Ag's Sesame Strut
1 pt: Peter's bit of French...

HM to Matty

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/31/08 at 8:07 am

Crap! Must vote, must vote, eat a jam sandwich at the same time...

1 point to Agri's World
2 points to Greased Squirrel
3 points to BAD Parenting
4 points to Kinky Kristof
5 points to Repossessing MasonR's Heart

HM to Rock The Matthias

Man, only 12 people this month? What happened?

Written By: DoRitos on 05/31/08 at 8:58 am

Number 1  5  Points for Max's inhalant feline gasping

Number 9  4  Points for COP's Request to kiss certain portions of human anatomy

Number 2  3 Points for Agri's Semasee Street spoof

Number 11  2 Point for Philbo's Book reports

Number 5  1 Points for BAD's Proflic one nighter

Another tough round to vote on.  Lots of of the wall stuff in this comp.  Very interesting

round and no easy one to betsow points upon.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/31/08 at 8:58 am

5 points to Dave
4 points to MasonR
3 points to Kristof
2 points to Matt
1 point to Guy

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/31/08 at 10:58 pm

Sorry, guys, working a lot, late vote--I know

HM to Mikey Squirrel: Great jobs guy, you know how hard it is to pick the top 5 though. . .

1 Point to Peter Anderson

2 Points to Agrimorfee

3 Points to Matthias

4 Points to TCOP

5 Points to Kristof Robertson

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/31/08 at 11:04 pm

Another classic round.

5 pts: Dave's Paternity suit
4 pts: Kristof's Kinky
3 pts: Mason's Repo Man
2 pts: Phil's Writer
1 pt : Conqueror's ass kissing

Sorry I won't be in the the next SOTM, I was waaay too busy with my new video.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/31/08 at 11:57 pm

Well, one of our podium contenders unfortunately has missed the deadline to vote, and thus forfeited 20 points. . .but alas, here are the official results of the April SOTM 2008

1st Below Average Dave "I Was Drunk Late One Night, Now I'm Daddy" with 45 Points!

2nd Kristof Robertson "It Don't Int'rest You Much(The Role Play Song)" with 40 Points!

3rd The Conqueror of Parodies "Kiss My Rear End" with 15 Points!

4th Agrimorfee's Elmo with 13 Points

5th Phil Alexander's Books with 12 Points

6th Mikey Squirrel's Lightning with 10 Points

7th Peter Andersson's Paris with 9 Points

8th Max Power's Huff with 7 Points

9th Matthias' Punk with 5 Points

10th Guy's Whore with 4 Points

11th Jason's Bees with HM

XXXX MasonR's Puns with 20 forfeited points--sorry buddy, hope to see you again in the June SOTM contest (held in July), I'm sure you probably just forgot because you are new to contests--would have been third prior to your own vote. . .

Congrats to Kristof Robertson & The Conqueror on well earned podiums (hey my 1 and 2 vote:), and I am to say the least flabbergasted at my first SOTM Gold Metal ever

Thank you all so much for this, I promise to record this song soon as it has been requested by several people--I'm stoked especially with the convention coming up. . .wow--thank you thank you thank you. . .

Oh and Kristof/TCOP, yeah--I have had to eat those words (reflection on your comments), at the time I said that, I never thought I'd be taking on such difficult songs, and didn't believe I could--it's reading all of the SOTM contenders work over time and your guys' collective influence that made me challenge myself, thank you for smacking me upside the head!

Subject: Re: April 2008 SOTM RESULTS POSTED

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/01/08 at 12:25 am

Well, that's the biggest difference in podium points I've ever seen! From 45 to 40 to 15...total WTF there.

That being said HOLY CRAP FIRST TIME ON THE SOTM PODIUM! Thanks for the votes guys, and congrats to Kristof and BAD!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 06/01/08 at 1:36 am

Congrats Dave Kristof and Conqueror!!!

Written By: K1chyd on 06/01/08 at 2:09 am

Well, that's the biggest difference in podium points I've ever seen! From 45 to 40 to 15...total WTF there.

Hmm... with one DQ and your own votes off that means 10 left and that means 1,5 points in average for the Bronze, but yeah, strange things like that happens, I remember when I was young and an ice hockey team in the second highest league here won their series... with negative goal difference, which you would think should be impossible but with a very few number of really big losses and the rest narrow wins it could obviously happen.

But I'm ranting... congrats to the medalists!

BTW: Where's Stu? Missing a round I can understand, I've done that myself, but he's usally voting anyway.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/01/08 at 4:46 am

Wow, thanks guys!

As it was pretty clear from the outset that Dave was going to be bloody hard to beat this month, I'm stoked that I managed to get as close as I did.
Well done BA Baracus...I mean Dave! You've now raised your own bar, and we will be expecting medal winners from you on a regular basis.....;-)
bobpie....a big Aussie slap on the back, mate. I hope the anger management classes are going well.... :D

The fact that the rest of the points were spread so evenly amongst the rest of the competitors shows how tight this contest can be. I won't be in May...(nothing to enter), but hope to throw something together for June.

Take care all,
K

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/02/08 at 7:40 am

Great contest, all!

(Dave, when you record this, you should effect the sound quality of Michael Stipe by holding your nose while singing throughout the song! ;))

Written By: philbo on 06/02/08 at 12:12 pm

Well done K, BAD & especially CoP :)

Just a quick note about my Arthur C Clarke paean: for all those who haven't read any of his books, and given the comments it's quite a few, please try and find the time to.  He was undoubtedly one of the most influential authors of the 20th century, and has probably written more Sci Fi that has turned into science fact than any other person.

If anyone wants some recommendations on good ones to start with, let me know...

Written By: Red Ant on 06/07/08 at 3:23 pm

Big time congrats to Dave for his first SOTM gold, to Kristof, who is seemingly glued to the podium  ;), and to T-Cop for his first podium trip as well.

I don't remember the exact month, but I believe Arwen's "Can't Find Me A Guy" beat the second place winner by over 30 points. I think 15 points may be a new record for getting third in SOTM though.

Congrats to MasonR and shame on you as well for not voting.  ;D

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/08/08 at 11:25 pm

http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=181

As requested. . .

It's born, my first Gold Metal song ever---has been recorded!  Thanks again everyone, hope you guys enjoy.

Check for new replies or respond here...